Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 04-18-2005, 09:06 AM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

TMG

Congrats on the maiden, you did better than most who try the flat wings.

The turning is why we all say POLY wings, the flat wings have a quality control issue. If you look real close to the wings you will see one side might have a twist in it or something like that.

If i remember correctly you said you ordered Poly wings, I would suggest you wait for them to arrive, you'll LOVE IT even more.

If you apply full power and the plane wants to go straight up in to a stall, you may be a little tail heavy, the AB flies great nose heavy, and in the beginning, set it up to be nose heavy.

As you get more skilled at flying it, then we can talk about putting in some down thrust.

The rubber bands work great, the wings will flex before the rubber bands would move, do the mod, it may save you a set of wings in the future.

Once again congrats

<EDIT>----- My brother also posts here, his screen name is Deathspiral Hee Hee Hee, he has folded MANY set of AB wings in the beginning (hence the name), so yes these wings (straight or poly) can fold, you just have to find the limit, my brother was a slow learner

Doc
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tgm, since you trimmed and it still won't turn right, there is a high probability the wing has a twist in it. My wing was like that and WOULD NOT TURN to the right. If you broke it you won't know now. When you fix it, look straight on at the wing and sight along the leading edge ( " L.E." which is the front) and notice how the trailing edge is. If one side of the trailing edge is lower than the other you should be able to straighten it by placing a strip of tape from the outside trailing edge ( "T.E." ), angled across to the l.e. inside while pulling on the tape a little before sticking it. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try different wording. Some people find me hard to understand, right Lou? ref. Hornets nest.

Yes, it would be better to have the wings banded. We have used different methods. I left tall screws in the T.E. of the wing, not screwed into the fuse, and put the rubber bands on them. Others have a better way, but, I forget just how they did it.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:27 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't believe you posted while I was typing, Hollywood! You beat me to it!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:03 AM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Fellas,

Longest Sky Hawk Flight

76 degrees, clear, winds 4-9mph.
I had the most boring flight of my life with the Sky Hawk yesterday. Wanted to see how long she would stay up with a stock batt.
Launched her on full throttle and counted to 60 until she was way up there -- not quite a speck, but up really high. I trimmed a very small amount of left rudder and up elevator, took a seat on the grass and watched. Reduced throttle to under 1/3 and watched her lap around the entire perimeter of the field. 16 minutes into the flight she appeared to be losing altitude. At this point, it was safe to assume that the batt kicked out and I grabbed the Tx and gave slight up elevator as she slowly circled into the wind and watch her rise again. I kept doing this for what seemed like forever. Half the lap she would slowly loose altitude and the other half she would gain some back. Well 25 minutes later, she still about 75 feet in air still doing wide circles. After approximately 28 minutes she was back on the grass!!

A new personal record for flying stock

Tailwind.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I LOVE THE SMELL OF EPOXY IN THE MORNING !!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug, aren't you afraid Japan is going to consider your airforce a threat?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug is an Airforce threat but he's also a boon for U.S. hobby shops.
Hey Sticks. Did you get the esc yet? If not I'll email the yo-yo I got it from. Thanks.
And what happened to the veggie joke at the bottom of my posts?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:07 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Talk about being syncronized, I just stoped the test! Yep, it came in an hour ago!
This one works just fine!!! I am now ready for another test flight when the weather permits and I have a camera man!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it's ok guys, thins are pretty evenly balanced out. i've got an me109, a spitfire, getting a mustang, an su27 (pusher) and a pilatus pc-9. the only thing i haven't got and don't want is a zero (not interested in jap planes). oh yeah, i've got a herc which the japs have, so maybe that counts until i do my khe san approaches and airdropping !! or the spit strafting the runway !!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Sticks. Remember that this one has Governor mode. It doesn't shut down the motor the way regular esc's do. This one very slowly slows down the motor when the battery get low.
Doug. I just can't keep all those planes straight.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:08 PM
tgm4812860

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

Well, I took out the badius this evening and flew it about 10 times. I am really frustrated with the turning thing. I fixed the wing with packing tape and checked for twist, but no matter which angle I looked at it I couldn't see anything. Then I checked the distance from each wing tip to the tail and made sure that was the same and it was. It also balances laterally. When I flew I had the same problem with it circling left and when I trimmed it out(full trim), I couldn't turn right except under full power and diving. Oh well, I still had fun. I have gotten the landings down well. This is going to be my next project. It beats the heck out of the walmart flyer
http://home.rochester.rr.com/carlvogt/Planes.htm
[link]http://home.rochester.rr.com/carlvogt/Planes.htm[/link]
I haven't actually flown the plane for more than two minutes at a time as I am still learning adn don't want it to glide out of the park. I can't wait until my poly wing gets here, then I we will see about this turning stuff.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey TGM. Do you have an accordianed fuse? It'll keep you turning one way and not the other. If not you need to adjust the servo push rods. Make sure the battery and electronics are located in the center as best you can.
I just looked at the Walmart plane. Looks like a fun project to me.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,

Sunday I got a chance to take my Badius out flying, I had some successful flights this time out too On the first battery I had about 5 flights, On the second battery I was able to keep it in the air for the entire charge and on the last battery I had two short flights. The last one with some damage to the fuse, so we called it a day. The wind was a challenge again but I’m taking it on and slowly making making some headway. I seemed to burn up the charge it my batteries faster than I expected. 6 to 10 minutes at full power? I have cycled them and now indicate they are holding at over 550 mAh to 614 mAh. Tell me if this load would add up as an explanation.

I hand launch into the wind, full throttle three to four minutes out I’m 100 yards out and 80 to 120ft high. Straight flying into the wind. Then with some altitude, I am able to begin to turn to the left slightly, breaking from the head on wind. I begin maneuvering around and picking up air speed. Then I can circle around overhead. If I’m not careful
I can be facing having to plow slowly again into the head wind for what seem like minutes… This has got to suck the battery dry.

Tailwind, you and Pilot Ray seem to be so please with the SkyHawk that I may want to give one a try sometime. It is great to read the posts you guys are making.

Hey Dig…. Are you getting the Mini Funtana patched up???
Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Tgm and Carlf, good luck with the badius flying, it's a great plane to learn on. if you've got some altitude, and it's windy, you can get upwind by lowering the nose to build up airspeed and anyway the wind will provide lift too.

perfect day for flying, sunny, hardly any wind. 3 great flights on the f27 including hitting my car (no damage). then the top flight of the day, perfect pigi weather. kept her in front on me the whole time and about 75'-100' up, 3d height. loops really easy just put on full power, really tight. tried my first roll with it but chickened out as it went to pot. buy really nice general flying under control, a good session. unfortunately just as i was bringing her into land, this golf guy and his wife drive up to talk and stop right were i'm aiming the pigi so i had to turn her and i think the bat was finished as i couldn't go around and made a bit of a hard landing pulling the motor off like yesterday, but at least this was after flying, not before. the brushless powered me109 needs epoxying anyway, as it still wont fly. the prop was a bit small at 8x6, but yesterday i ordered 8 10x6 props (gws) thinking it would definately fly brushless. just went 5' and turned left into the ground. first time was not at full power and it just cartwheeled, not breaking anything, but the second time the prop and rear fus broke so that was that. i'm thinking of trying it with a 3 blade gws prop i've got which will definately break on landing. if that doesn't work, the 10x6 props will be here this week and if that doesn't work, i'm going to rip out all the electrics and hang it on my son's ceiling. flew the 2m beast but it was a bit windier then, so i made sure i had power left in case the landing was looking bad. nice flight but not a lot of lift. out with the epoxy again !!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:57 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey All

For the new guys, We have all been there.

If you go here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12..._5/key_/tm.htm on post #143 you will see my beginning, read these early posts ( pages 7-15) you will see a lot ( at that time) of green pilots who are now giving you advice now.

As you can see, it doesn't take long before you go from the student to the teacher here.

Hang in there, soon you'll be helping others

Doc
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
tgm4812860

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the good links

Have any of you guys had any experience with sheng teng Rx and Tx. I have a four channel sheng teng setup that I need to rip off the cessna. I was thinking of putting it on the AB. The Rx is much smaller and lighter, and so is the ESC. The only thing holding me back is that I don't know the actual quality of this gear. I never managed to get the plane more than 20 ft away from me without crashing it. So I would say if the radio gear is as crappy as the rest of their stuff, I might not want to use it. But, If any of you guys know anything about this stuff then let me know. Last night I made 3 new battery packs for the AB. I ordered the AAA cells from[link]http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=12186.63[/link]
They were like a dollar each so I bought 24. Radio Shack wanted $21 for a four pack! Here are some good directions I found for wiring and stuff.
[link]http://home.rochester.rr.com/carlvogt/batteries.htm[/link]
Old 04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lou, Hazy, RayRay, Dig, and any other Omei owners,

I think you guys are all big Pus A's. If you have any balls, you would just do it, like me

Only kidding..... NOT

I am drinking a screwdriver right now, that is why I am posting. If I offend anyone, I'm sorry.

I have been building my Skimmer for a few days now and not even the slightest high from this CA stuff. I am going to go back to "Real Airplane Glue" like the old days.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Lou, I think you should just let Hazy give the Omei a try.
I thought the weather was always Puuurfect in California[8D]

I guess old Pappy is out of the loop, as no one has asked me to pucker up[&o]

Wait till you see the size difference in the rudder from the Skimmer to the Badius, it is unbelievable. The wing span is much greater also and the fuse is actually shorter, but only by a couple of inches. I will get all the specs together with weights when I get some photos.

Later

Old 04-19-2005, 03:35 PM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Happy Hour Pappy,

When your right, your right. I can only speak for myself. I would love to get this bird off the ground already. No more excuses -- I have to learn to build!

As for Lou - he lacks stones. Hazey is the one with the big brass.

Party On!

Tailwind
Old 04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doc, Im pretty sure Ive asked before, but where can you get that glass cloth. Ive looked everywhere on the net and the lowest I have found is about 4oz.[:@] Also, what is the difference in that polycrylic minwax stuff and 30 minute epoxy? Which would you recomend if I was to cover a 70" wingspan plane? what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks for all the help, your so friggin helpful I cant help but ask.

One other thing, I have the design for my plane. 70" wingspan, 10"cord, so 11.25 sq.ft wing area. I think I have everything ( parts, motor, epoxy, glass, battery, servos...) accounted for when I say that the weight will be close to 53.6 oz. That makes a wing loading of 4.76 oz/sq.ft. All of the specs for motors say something like, " for planes to 49oz and wing loadings of 14oz/sq.ft." Did I do something wrong? the plane is foam so would that explain this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

iflyatcae

Sure SUCK UP Hee Hee Hee.

I get my glass cloth at the LHS, it is made by SIG and it's weight is .56 oz.

I use the Minwax for 2 reasons,

1: This is water based, this can be spread thin, you can thin it out with talcum power ( to make it bulky and light), and it takes a few hours to dry (giving you plenty of time to work with it).

2: Epoxy is heavy, dries too quick, and can melt some foams.

SIGGF008 SIG 38 X 72 ULTRA LIGHT GLASS
CLOTH .56 OZ
EACH $13.99 <----- This was pasted from SIG's sight, OOHH I only paid $5.99 for my cloth, go figure .

Hope it helps

Doc
Old 04-19-2005, 06:57 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pappy, Pappy, Pappy

Pucker up, I've got something for you

I give you credit for at least trying your Omei, I can't understand, you buy a plane, you build it, then you let it sit, and sit, and sit.

This would drive me nuts, my new P-51 is ready to go, if I didn't want to video the maiden, she would of been up this evening.

Howard is working Friday, ssoo we will be flying one of the days this weekend. I plan to do a war bird video, so the A-10, the Corsair, and the P-51-d will be brought to the field.

This will be the last time I fly the A-10, if Kyle doesn't want it I may try to see if it will fly it through the back stop .

Then the Corsair will be up next, I am planing on using my 3 cell liops for the first time on her, this should make for a nice speedy flight.

THEN comes the Mustang, this is the un-known, but what ever happens "film at 11", OOHH for those of you who might want this plane go here http://ak-models.com/ep51Q.htm , for the VERY first time, I found a place cheaper than Raidentech [8D].

SSOO Pappy, in the end, they may be a little wrinkled, but still bigger than those other Omei guys [sm=lol.gif]

Later All

Old 04-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm not sure but I think I detect a challenge. Me being second oldest around here let me impart a little knowledge. I'm ascared.
All righty then. The Omei flys before Sunday night. My bro is coming up again this weekend and if he remembers, we get a video. If not, we get stills of the wreckage. I'll fly it unless I can find Hazy.

Happy Pappy Hour, Got the DVD today. Goes out tomorrow to Tailwind. I don't have a DVD burner so no copies. I did save it to the hard drive as I think it's a great DVD to have. Lots of good info and some good B.S. too. If it ain't true, it oughta be.
One question. We've had some good wind here lately. 15 mph give or take. How much weather can the Omei fly in? If it'll handle 10 to 15 mph I might try flying it without help.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood Doc,

Thanks, I knew you still loved me, as I was your first, and you never forget your first.

I hope you weren't bending over, when you said that.[X(]

Yes, I did give it a go, but my only regret was that I didn't fly it myself and second was relying on that dam servo tape.

I have been thinking about ordering another Omei, as I really liked it and I have a nice carry box for the wing.

I still want that Cub if Raiden ever gets them in again.

If you fly that P51 like you fly the Coursair, you will be in like Flynn. Can't wait ti see the vid.

Lou, I think the Omei will handle 10-15 no problem, even old Badius can handle that. Just meake sure you can land into the wind, no cross winds to start. I wish you the best as always.
Glad you got the video and are sending it along.

Hey, I thought Rog was second in line.

I finished up the Starboard wing tonight, so maybe get some pics tomorrow, after I fix my well pipes. I ran over them with my truck and broke them off at ground level. How you ask did I do that. Well I was driving me truck into the backyard to drop off a load of stone for a flower garden for the wife and it was very close to squeeze between the house and the well pipes that are above ground. Wifey said call me when you want to try it and I will guide you and I said, I can do it, don't worry. Yea, That was a big mistake, I hit it and she was looking out the window. She says, Honey is everything all right? Ha Ha, I said you were right again, Damit, I hate when they are always right.

I had to start Happy Hour three hours early that day
Old 04-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Loubud, i'd be careful about flying the omei in any kind of wind as you'll probably find it dissapearing downwind pretty fast. also i find the beast noses up and down a lot especially in wind and with a big glider that's quite alarming until you can get it trimmed. don't forget under power, nose down trim, gliding, nose up trim and final approach to land, nose down trim to reduce the float. wind i'd say 7mph max for a long while. BE WARNED !!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:45 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lou,

Better take Doug's advise and wait for a perfectly calm day, I would hate to see you crash because of wind, and then Blame me

What kind of power plant do you have in her?

Search this Thread