Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 04-20-2005, 02:44 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Don't think so, Haze. It flew just fine with what I gave it. Actually, it will only have the amps for a short time, as the batteries begin to drop their voltage, so will the amps drop. I am going to set it to start out at 26 amps, that way after a few seconds it will drop below that and, since this is static testing, it will unload somewhat in flight, unless I try to make look like a bug hanging around in a field. I just don't get that, really.[] I know it's everyone to his own and that's what makes the world go around!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:57 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The cub's been ordered! Said nothing about out of stock.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Sticks.
Ok. Run it however you like. Go high and try some tricks.
Did you get the Cub From AK models?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:22 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's the same one diggidy ordered, from the site Hollywood gave us. Lets see..........yep, it's AKM.

And this info. Ole Homebuilt (I'm trying to give it a real name) is flown with the Motor Max Motor 400F and a master screw 11x7 with Kokam 1500 11.1v Li-Po and it weighs 33oz or 2lbs 1oz. It has PLENTY of power! This same setup should fly the cub at 2lb 6oz just fine. Especially since I am sure some weight can be removed because it's designed for glow and has some unneeded heavy parts.

This motor and ESC can be gotten for less than $90.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you using a gearbox with the Motor Max?
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, yeah, it's a 3:1 ratio gearbox. the parts for it are only about $10. It's the same gearbox used by the GWS 400 brushed motor. You can get the gearbox and the 400 brushed motor for $15.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
tgm4812860

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh well,

I flew the badius with the poly wings. All I can say is that it flew 100% better. My last flight the wind kicked up really bad and stalled the plane. Slammed into a sidewalk at about from 20 ft high. I turned the motor mount into an inside out mushroom head and I think the motor is toast. Haven't tested the ESC to determine if its busted. The fuse is bent all around the switch and stuff, but I think I can straighten it out. This is one frustrating hobby. Oh well
Old 04-20-2005, 06:21 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry about your plane, tgm. Now you are learning! We've all been there and are still there!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:24 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the name for my homebuilt. The Mulligan. Like the stew, it's made from all kinds of design ideas of mine!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:37 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TMG

I realize it is tough to resist flying in the beginning ( how many flights did to get before the BIG plunge), but you are learning, as well as learning what your/the plane's limits are.

This is not an easy hobby in the beginning, there are MANY frustrating days, stick with the poly wings, get a speed 400 motor (7.2 volt) if you need to, it will cost about $9 bucks.

If you have to change motors, then you will have to do the wood screw mod ( on the prop, because all the S400 motors come with a smooth shaft).

All

WOW I should see if I can get a kick back, little did I realize that the CUB beinging offered was the same a the one you guys have been waiting for from Raidentech.

This weekend will be rainy, BUT we will still fly, the video won't be as good of quality, BUT that P-51 MUST fly this weekend.

Well I must get back to the wifey, today is her 40th birthday and she hasn't unwrapped the depends yet ( 1 of the many joke gifts I got her).

She didn't like the joke I plaid on her today while I was at work, I had a friend serve her with fake divorce papers ( my last 2 wives, I divorced just before they turned 40), I joked with Judith, I said "I have NEVER been married to a woman over 40, why should I start now".

She knew it was a joke ( the papers), but didn't find it as funny as I thought it was

WOMEN

Later All
Old 04-20-2005, 07:42 PM
tgm4812860

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If if upgrade to a speed 400 motor, why would I use a lower voltage battery than the stock.

Also, If I order a new Fuse, does it come with the servo and battery houseing?

Also, I seriosly doubt I can fix the metal washer motor mount. I guess I could make my own with a real metal washer? How do I line up the motor in the fuse? The motor just seemed to be resting in there. Was it originally glued?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:50 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood,

What was that special price you got on the CUB for the Badius club members

Remember, I negotiated a better price for the Omei for the Badius Boys.

I know, you guys don't care about the money or you wouldn't be in this hobby.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TGM,
You can make your own washer but Pilot Ray makes a real good one. Just line it up and screw it in. The Speed 400 motor comes in different voltages. The 7.2 volt motor is the right one. Use the same bats you been using.

Happy Pappy Hour.
I care about $$. Just not a lot.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Pilot Ray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi tgm4812860,
Both the Accipiter Badius plane and the Sky Hawk plane will get progressively harder to fly as winds go above 5mph. The worst type of day to fly on is when it has been windy for most of the day, and then all of a sudden the ground wind has eased up later in the day to just a very slight breeze. It appears like the wind has let up enough to allow good flying, only to find out just after takeoff that the wind is still very strong above 50 feet and the plane is encountering strong wind gusts. This happens to me often in my flying area do to the large rolling hills. I have found that a limiting factor on flying these planes in stronger winds is wing flex. When flying thru turbulent cross winds (especially just when the plane is turning and diving) the main wings can start extreme oscillating rapidly (one outer wing end flexing up while the other outer wing tip is flexing down) of which can cause lose of directional flight and a risk of a high speed nose first crash.
Stalling like you where saying that happened to your plane, can happen in the wind if the speed of the plane gets to low, especially when turning.
When it comes to straightening the Accipiter Badius plane fuselage, the plane will still fly great as long as everything is re-straightened as close to original shape as possible. Over time with more hard crashes and realignments, the fuselage does become weaker and may eventually start cracking.
Also tgm4812860, Like Loubud was saying, I make a stronger aluminum motor mount for the Accipiter Badius and Sky Hawk that you can see in my Galley section by clicking on it at the bottom of my post.

Thanks,
Pilot Ray
Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What? No comment on my plane name? I really need a name for it. You won't hurt my feelings, I don't want to name it something stupid.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tgm, you don't. The battery voltage is supposed to be a little more than the motor is rated. That's where you get the power. Too much and you burn it out too fast. Lou is correct. That speed 400 will go with your stock batteries.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Sticks.
Mulligan reminds me of two things. An old gangster movie and a complete screw up. Oh, another. Cheatin while playing golf. Sleek planes need sleek names.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:27 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

May be right. I was thinking of Mulligan stew which I think is just made up of a lot of different things.

OK, I'm open for suggestions. You've all seen the pictures of the plane.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:43 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guys,

Here are a couple of pics, just to show the size difference of the movable surfaces between the badius and the Skimmer.

The fuse as you can see is a slight bit shorter on the Skimmer, the wing area is quite a bit larger, but the rudder, WOW, look at the difference in size there. I know some have complained about the size of the rudder on the Badius and I too thought it was a little small, but never changed it. Some have added a small amount to give it a better turn.

The prop wash being a little closer to the this large rudder will also help in slow speed turns.

As you can see some planes of the same relative size, have rudders that are quite a bit larger, so I guess it's ok. The elevator is also quite a bit larger.

I don't have any weights yet, but when I do, I will post the comparison.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40193.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	260771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30984.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	260772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44172.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	260773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23165.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	260774  
Old 04-20-2005, 09:47 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, come on, guys! I need help with the name!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood, I found that hanging the camera from strings cuts almost all, if not all, of the vibration! You can attach it at three points on the camera and three points on the fuse. Then adjust the angle it points with the strings (I used thin velcro straps in one point and just let it swing) by making them shorter or longer where needed. Actually tiny elastic strips would be perfect. I will let you know if I find some and try it that way.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:55 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sticks

OK, you asked for it.

How about "CLUMP" (as in clump of $H!T).

I have funny names for my planes, none of which I can post

Hee Hee Hee

Doc

ps. DON'T get offended, its a joke
Old 04-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sorry Agcat, no name thoughts for your homebuild except homebuild no.1 !!

pretty windy this morning. decided to try out flying at my rc club for the first time. it's surrounded by trees and things, but has a pretty smooth runway and a manky old clubhouse and toilet. anyway, flew the f27 with the 9.6v bat (as the 8.4 bats from cheapbatteries last a long time but are pretty feeble especially for the first minute) which makes it scream, just to be on the safe side at a new flying field. just flew round and round the field, nothing fancy as i just wanted to get started there when nobody was around. anyway, the wind was picking up more but i decided to try the me109 again, with a 3 cell lipo and a 3 bladed prop. power sounded good on testing, but the ailerons stopped working, probably the servo wire coming out of the receiver. still, gave it a toss and the same thing, flew 5' and turned left and nosed into the ground, breaking the prop. i was hoping for something a little better, so i'm stripping out all the electrics and hanging it on my son's ceiling as it still looks good. second non flying plane !! after, tried the trick epp 3d plane for the first time. i'm using a 2100mah tp 3 cell with this and it's got a pretty small axi motor and it's quite heavy. power check and the power drained off really fast, despite the bat being charged right up. not good. anyway it didn't fly, same as the me109 and corsair. broke the motor mount off the fus so that needs epoxying. the ailerons are really big and the max throw they're on has them att 45 degrees up and down - it will roll instantly. decided to try to reduce the aileron throws and i'm going to try the nimh batteries i bought with the plane as all my other lipos are too wide to fit. don't like this plane yet !! out of 4 planes built over last winter, 3 are not flying, 1 given up on, i going brushless and one don't know yet. not good, no wonder i've bought so many.

anyway, had a great flight with the mega poly winged badius which is champion of wind. i will take some pics of the club at some point and post them.

oh yeah, i've decided on a fate worse than death for the crappage corsair - i'm going to give it to my son / dog to play with. now that's apt !!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

geez Hollywood! I like it a little better than that!
Old 04-20-2005, 10:06 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks anyway Doug. I have been just calling it Ole Homebuilt. Not too original.

Doug, do they have any instructors out that way? Gotta hang in there, man. You can make all of them fly, I just know it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service