Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hi All,
Last of the Slipper notes for today.
Last flight time was 13.06 minutes at either 1/2 to full throttle. Lipo mah used was 170 according to the charger. The wind was gusting pretty good. At least 10 mph plus gusts. The Slipper handled all of it as well as to be expected since the thing is soo light. With the motor at a downward tilt it didn't try to go verticle when full throttle was applied. It did what it was supposed to. Thanks Hollywood. I came down and did the belly flop landing as a train was coming by. They upset the wind pattern and I didn't want to have to try to land with it going by. A couple of minutes later the Slipper was back up fighting the wind. It gets up some pretty good speed going downwind but bringing her back around requires a little Badius skill. Seems that the Slipper is similar to the Badius if the Badius was on steroids. Full power was needed to get the Slipper back up to the side of the farm I wanted to fly in. Half the farm had sprinklers going and the Slipper is balsa. I didn't want to land in those and have the electrics fry and the balsa warp. All in all it was fun. I did try going higher this time as it was so much easier to control. Got about 500 feet this time but didn't try gliding as the wind was too heavy.
I think I should build another one of these for my bro. He'd dig it.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:16 PM
AgCat1982

You're looking good, Haze!!!! I think you about got it!

To all, my Cub is due to be delivered TOMORROW!!!!! FEDX! Wish me luck!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Loubud

Thanks Sticks. I really want to toss her up again but might be too windy. I'd hate to wreck a perfect day.
That Cub will be fyling in no time.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:05 PM
CaptainRandy

Hey Rog,

I think "Something Stupid" is a great name
ORIGINAL: agcatsbest

What? No comment on my plane name? I really need a name for it. You won't hurt my feelings, I don't want to name it something stupid.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:23 PM
CaptainRandy

Fling/Badius Report

Well, I went to the field this morning as it was an absolutley beautiful morning to fly.

I got there a little too late as there was a lot of mishaps and crashs, darn I love to see others crash, make s me feel normal.

Anyway, after most had left the field, it was my turn. First was to fly old Badius, but as I was almost ready to give her a toss, I noticed that the cheap little rudder horn, you know the ones that it comes with, that you just snap in place, had come loose and I could not get it tight. I had to make a small slit just above the original location and reinsert it there. That worked fine, but I think I would replace with regular horns in the future, or CA them in place. After so many flights and time, I think the foam gets a little compressed and they just loosen up. The flight was as expected, about twenty minutes, as I could not find any good thermals.

Now I decided to give the fling another try. Last time out was so successful, I was not even thinking about the little wind with gusts to be problem, Wrong.

I stretched the high start out to the max 30 yards and had her pointing into the wind, which had just swung 45 degrees for when I arrived. The wind direction is a big deal with a high start, as you can't really compensate on the highspeed launch. You have to just keep her tracking straight until the pop off occurs. Well she took off like a rocket ship and was vearing to the right, while I was trying to steer her back to center, she popped off and continued to bank to the right. I tried all I could to get her back on course, but I failled. She went full speed and I mean fast into the ground. No one was hurt during this exercise except my ego.

I went over to inspect the damage and it was obviuous it was time to go home. The wing poped off nicely as it it only held on by rubber bands. It had only one tiny break in the covering. The fuse is slightly cracked in two places, but an easy repair. The elevator popped off, so just some epoxy there and she is flight ready again.

I can't believe the impact that this light little glider can take with so little damage. I guess that might change as time goes on, but for now I am very happy with the strength of it. I really thought that this type of high speed crash would total the Fling.

The balloon launch will be a lot less stressful.

Lou,
sounds like you are doing real good with your slipper.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Loubud

"Something Stupid". LOL. Now that cracked me up. But look at Sticks Gallery to see the interior. I think it's a pretty good looking plane. Real tedious work to do dash boards.
And what's up with the Fling? I thought you had it down pat. Glad it's pretty much ok. Break out the glue and go again tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:54 PM
afineman

Pappy

Glad to hear it will be an easy fix. I wasn't there so I don't know if this was possible, but.

I found while I was flying, if the plane would veer off to the left I would fight it with max right. Then, one time I couldn't fight it and decided to give it full left, well I'll tell ya.

It is now how I react to a veering off problem, instead of fighting it go with it, you'll pick up some speed as you come around and you'll be in a much better position fight it after you complete the circle, but as I said I wasn't there so I don't know if a move like that was possible.

Hazy

Where you are getting SSOO close to the Omei maiden, may I suggest something, remove the prop, put some foam over the prop shaft, and give her some test glides, this will alert you of any major problems at a low speed and close to the ground.

All

Just got back from doing some test glides with the AB, the rudder surface area on the AB is not big enough at these low speeds. I got it down to 12.6 oz.

I had to extend the nose, and it is in this extension where I put the rx batteries for balance ( I used a spent toilet paper roll ). I brought wifey with me to video, video didn't work out as I hoped it would, so nothing @ 11.

but it does float, gets good lift in a good breeze, this was my first time doing a hand launch of an un-powered plane so I have some learning to do.

It does rise at low speed, so in theory, the Slow Stick should have no problem taking it up.

Later All
Old 04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Loubud

Hey Hollywood, Do you control the towed Badius or just let it wallow around back there? Dunno. Just a thought. Doug probably knows.
Hey Pappy, is it fixed yet?

Oh yeh. Thanks Hollywood about the preflight. I'll try it tomorrow. Weather report says chance of rain for this weekend. If so, no Omei flight.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
iflyatcae

sticks, glad to hear about the cub, should be nice.

no flying for me lately[], but going to the beach tommorow for the weekend so that'll be fun. Guess that means I wont be here till sunday, so I'll have to wait to see hollywood's video. good luck everyone with your maidens, and make sure to get them on video.

Peeeece.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 PM
CaptainRandy

Hollywood,

I know what you are talking about with the over correcting or fighting the bank. I do the same thing as you when flying the Badius, if she all of a sudden wants to bank due to wind or thermal, I do as you do most of the time and just go in that direction. I have tried to fight it with no reaction at all, so it is better to as you say,"go with the flow".

BUT, with a high start, you Can Not do that or you will crash for sure and it will be fast and explosive. What you have to do is keep her tracking as straight as you possibly can, until it pops of the high start. You could dive to come off early if it is too bad. You have such tremendous speed for such a short burst it all happens pretty fast, so the key is to have a well trimmed plane that will track nice and straight.

last time out, I did this about six times and it was so well trimmed that it just about went up hands off. Only control if you have to.

Lou, yes the glider pilot must be at the controls and be in touch with the tow pilot or he could cause the tow plane to crash.

One more thing about hand tossing a glider.
I think I remember Hollywood's recommendations on how to toss, but I have a little input if I may.

In the instructions for the Fling, it explains how to trim and hand toss a glider.
It says to throw the plane at a slight angle downward toward a target approx 50 ft away.
This will alow the plane to pick up a little speed and level of to a nice level slow glide.
Get it trimmed to gide straight first, then try a few gentle turns.

The key here is to throw it at an angle downward, if you throw a plane level, it will most likely try to lift and then stall and lawn dart to the ground.

It even says to have someone watch as you hold the plane to make sure you have it angled downward.

This was right from the Fling Manual, but if you like to do otherwise, by all means go for it.
I think if you try this with a heavy plane like the Omei, throwing it level, you will stall and crash. It might be low, but it will still be a crash.

This not only makes sense to me, but it worked great for the Flings test glides. It flew out level and glided forever with only minimal input.

Hollywood, you were talking about rudder area of the Badius, it is extremely small and must have some airflow over it for sure.

Did you see my photos of the Skimmer and how much larger the control surfaces are as compared to the Badius?

Here is a pic of the Balloon I got off eBay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78728.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	261124  
Old 04-21-2005, 08:15 PM
afineman

Pappy

I figured you did it but I wanted to ask just to make sure, I see you do the same as I.

Strange, 5 min ago Howard and I were talking, and looking at you post, not because the rudder surface was bigger but because you rudder hinge seem to be worn out, the vinyl is really cracked.

Well no flying this weekend (see attached) BUMMER
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79989.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	261131  
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Captain Randy, i find with my 2m glider, the wings have so much lift that a good level throw is enough to launch. it has a very low stall speed and flys straight and level for about 15' before picking up enough speed to start to climb. with full sized gliders, you lift the glider up off the ground before the tow plane as the tow plane has to build up airspeed and has a higher stall speed. i don't know about model planes, but with a full sized glider you have to fly sightly below the tow plane to avoid the prop wash. may be an issue, i don't know. to avoid a crash on release, the tow plane turns off in one direction and the glider in another. if you can launch into a known thermal or area of lift, such as the sunny side of a nice cumulus, then that's perfect. real gliders are the best, plenty of manoeuvring flight and exciting launches whether by tow plane or winch. wish i could jump into one right now, now i'm thinking of them !!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
AgCat1982

UPDATE........Looks like the original arrival date and FEDX's arrival date do not match![:@] Should be Saturday.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:45 PM
CaptainRandy

Hollywood,

There is no vinyl there. I cut through it when I first got the Badius and made tape hinges for both the rudder and elevator. Has never given me a problem and is less strain on the servos.

I used plain old Scotch Satin Tape and it's still good as new. I used the alternating method.

Doug, I think every plane must be a little different, but that was the instructions for the Fling anyway and it works great. I never tried it with the Omei.

I have guy at my club that will tow me up, but I need to make sure I am good enough first.
I would hate to cause him to loose control of his plane. I guess he could always release and then recover, but I would rather it be successful.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 PM
Airbourne in Japan

just found this on the gws herc site

Hi guy's, found this site on another thread for nav lights most realistic I have seen yet. Y ou have to watch the video of the learjet set.
www.curtek.com

http://www.curtek.com/gallery/movies/learjet.wmv

right click then save target as.

just got my cub from tendai in hk. it's really great on first appearence !!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 PM
AgCat1982

Something Stupid is very unique!! You know there is a song titled that! Thanks, Captain, but I have decided. Clod Hopper it is.

Hollywood, I'm now making a rubber band harness to suspend the camera from. In theory it should absorb all the vibrations. It will swing from two bands. I just can't control where I want to shoot when cutting the power and trying to maintain a glide.

ifly, I'm excited, and now, disappointed after thinking it would be here tomorrow. It's almost the same size as the Clod Hopper. Just weighs 5oz more. Like I said, I think I can remove some of that weight.

I got all set up with three planes, went out to my bro's house and got him to video for me after I did some work on his computer. It was getting late and NOT ONE PLANE WOULD FLY![:@][:@] Rudder horn pulled lose on the slow stick and broke the only prop I had with me. I had not finished the Decathlon repairs like I thought I had. And yesterday when I flew the Stearman and landed it, the prop hit the grass flipping it breaking the pin I use to hold the prop adapter on, without knowing it.

A usual day for me. The sun went down. I won't be able to get him out again for a while. I know it. NO video.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:47 PM
tgm4812860

Hey guys

I got a new s400 motor today and installed it. I just hammered flat the old mount that i bent up and used it. I used a spare screw from my old prop to fasten on the new prop to the drive shaft. After having about six succesful flights with the new setup I picked up the badius and the tightning screw was so hot I couldn't touch it. I guess that means that there was some slippage between the screw and the drive shaft and it created friction. The prop mount that I bought with the motor doesn't fit a normal prop so I got screwed on that one. Should I grind a flat spot on the drive shaft for the set screw? Overall I can't believe that the badius still flys at all after my last crash. This plane is one tough cookie. It is still pulling to the left even with a new wing so it must be that the fuse is bent. But, with the new poly wings it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 PM
afineman

TMG

I am tickled you are having good luck with the AB, the heat you fealt my be the heat from the motor.

Were you flying WOT ( wide open throttal), the S 400 motor gives you better performance, but the price is less flight time and more heat, this may of been the source of the heat.

If you check my gallery I think I have a picture of the holes I drilled in the Al plate to cool the motor. This did help when I installed the the S 400 motor.

Hope it helped
Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 PM
AgCat1982

Doug, what model cub did you get? I just looked at the lighting site. Cool! Have you seen the outline lights for park flyers? You outline the entire plane and you can see it to fly at night. Thinking about trying that sometime. later on, that is.

The Lear was really cool!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Airbourne in Japan

i ordered a standard cub - it's got 1200mm wingspan. it's really nice but i don't know when i will build it.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:27 AM
Airbourne in Japan

well i tried to fit the esskey motor to the front of a new fuse, having cut a hole by the front for the esc wires to go into the fus and soldered up the esc and motor. putting the 2 screws into the motor (on the outside) from the inside was a real hassle, but i did it in the end. anyway, the motor wasn't secure and moved around so i've had to give up on this project. shame, i really liked flying the motor max badius. anyway, raidentech sell a servo wire and i bought 4, as i was going to build 2 brushless nutter badiuses. however the wires are for the elevator which is the shortest and i had to relocate the rudder servo nearer the elevator servo for the control rod to fit. i could have tried to order some other control rods, but i wanted to get the badius ones. typical raidentech, a bit thick.

either raining or too windy today so no flying.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hey guys, anyone wanting a really good 6.5x4 folding prop for a speed 400 motor should check out these http://www.tedani.com/65x4in-165x101...ler-p-381.html
they're only $3.9, and the shipping from hong kong is cheap and quick. they have a collet style fit to the motor shaft and are much better quality that the stock badius blades. i ordered 6 along with my cub, but the only thing was i wanted them for the hubs especially to fit the 3.2mm shart of the mega brushless in one of my badiuses so i'll have to use another hub with the blades and the graupner hubs have big spinners. may be able to modify the spinner / collet though, don't know yet. i need a good supply for the mega motored plane as this is my 'windy badius' and i will be flying it for 15 years !!

with my 3 non flying planes, i'm getting some hope back. the split 280 epp pylon racer i'm going to break in the stock 280 motor and wait until my cf rods get here to strengthen the fus. then i'll see if it flys, but i ordered a model motors 280 brushless for it anyway. fly and be dammed !! the trick 800 epp 3d plane needs attention to the rudder, the servo (which i epoxied in place) needs moving as the control rod bends in one direction, but currently i don't use rudder anyway. the problem with this seems to be the 2100mah tp battery i'd been using, which loses power really quickly, so perhaps i've damaged it. anyway, i've ordered a 3 cell 1200mah lipo for the split and i'm going to use that. that should give about 10 mins flying time. if that's ok and it flys with it (saves a lot of weight) i'll order another one, they's only $43. the gws me109, i've put a 10x4? prop on and that seems to have much better thrust so i'll give that a try, as i'd like to see it fly. Brent said i may not have been throwing it hard enough, which is possible with the warbird wing, so i'll take a run up when i try it, but i may put the wheels on which will help to reach flying speed, now that i've joined the rc club and have a grass/soil runway to use. by the way, the cub i ordered from tendai in hk is really good and they do a clipped wing version also (mine's standard). worldwide shipping is $20 and about 1 week. he's a nice guy there, probably working out of some poky hk apartment !!
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Loubud

Hey Grounded. I think we should call you" flyboy". Or, "try to take off boy". Or maybe "order it from the net, boy". Or how about "I got spares".

Slipper notes.
Weather is very strange today. First no wind, then 10 mph then a switch in direction. Wind is all over the place. I hop the fence to fly anyway. I'd like to be able to fly the Slipper well enough to toss from the front yard. The farm is planted in lettuce and it's fragile. Also, I don't like flying out there when the farm workers are out. Every now and then I almost hit them with a plane.
I do a check and toss the Slipper. Wind blows her around a little but full power over comes the wind. For the moment anyway. This plane doesn't like to climb much. Just get her up a few hundred feet and it's predictable enough to fly this low. I went up to about 300 feet and tried a loop. I really should pay a little attention to air speed. I lmost lost it on the top of the loop. Did a tip stall or something and just rolled over like a puppy dog. I gave her full throttle and climbed out at around 50 feet. I went up to about 500 feet this time for another try at a loop. Ok. Just needed a little more speed. It rolls ok. It also looks like it's out of control when up high screwing around. Full rudder causes it to turn really fast and add a little elevator and it looks like it's going to tumble all the way to the ground. Well, the wind comes up, it starts to rain, and I've been flying for just under 10 minutes when the Slipper hits a down draft. Yikes! I'm able to pull out of it but I get disorientated. Sheesh. Farm guys are having a ball watching me, waiting for the crash. The Slipper doesn't crash and they go back to work. Sorta like Nascar out there. No crashes makes a dull day. I try to orientate the plane and just struglle with it. I finally get an idea of which way she is going and get stupid and crash into the field. Doh! I just assumed I could fly across the width of the field at about 5 feet up and actually make it all the way over. I don't. The wind catches a wing and gives a toss. Not up either. I mosey over to the plane and see that everything is intact. Outside of a bent gearbox shaft it's seems ok. I'll tweek it with the pliers and fly it anyways.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Diggidy

I just got the cub and mustang from the AK site!!!!!!!!!
Will post pictures later.
For a gas plane the box for the cub is amazingly small. It's smaller than the box for the mustang which is intended as an electric.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Loubud

Hey Dig. What about the Omei?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.