Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 05-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hey Pappy. I thought the damage saw a bit excessive also so I just looked at it again. It had knife wounds. I think the neighbor has *****...I mean plane envy.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:57 AM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lou,

Damn that Hazey guy. Put a contract on him already. He's mucking up your program.

Tailwind.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tailwind, Hazy is over here now helping me fix the SS. He's testing glue and they ain't no one better at it. He can almost tell just by sniffing it what brand it is. I'm just hoping he finishes the SS before the glue overcomes him, even tho it seems he does his best work after a couple of sniffs. If he gets it done soon enough I can give the SS a toss. Otherwise I'll have to wait for the wind to die back down.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Doug. On non flying Badius is just not right. SM rule 86 says you must get that thing flying or be banned from humanity.
The Mega motor parts are a bit surprising. Seems that a lot of brushless motors have to be used a particular way or parts fall off. The Align brushless that is on the Aerofly falls apart if mounted as a pusher. The back of the motor pops right off. It's made with different material than your Mega but still!! Better luck on the next outing.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey thanks Lou. sorry to hear about your slow stick. maybe you should stick to flying at the farm, were you don't have neighbours and concrete to worry about, only the train tracks. anyway, the dissapointment with my mega badius was more than compensated by the perfect brilliant maiden of the himax gb brushless. i'm getting a 1.4m aerobird extreme wing, which i was going to try on the himax badius, but i think i'll use it on a new badius - one for thermalling. the aerobird wing on the himax badius is about right for speed. the wing is better than the poly wings, although i wouldn't fly the himax badius in strong wind as i don't want to damage it. what a great plane !! may get a hyperion outrunner for the new badius. also, some guy with a wattage corsair is able to fly it with a s400 motor and a 3 cell lipo, so i may order a new fus for that and try that. i want to use a 3 cell lipo with the s400 motor on the split, but it's so small, there's not room inside the fus so i may have to mount that on the wing again, with someting to protect if - maybe a cf roll cage. last chance for that bird....

hey Pilot Ray and RayRay, you should put carbon fibre rods along the lenght of your skyhawk wings. i'd suggest about 1.10 size would be ok. that will make a big differencve to strength.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey check this out. this is one nice plane http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3296
Old 05-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Doug.
I'm going to try a 3 cell lipo in the Badius when Raidentech gets some wings in stock. They're all out at the moment. Norman says that Omei spares are a good 9 months away as China uses a slow boat for their shipping pruposes. He also stated that the balsa that the factury uses isn't all that good so those Omei owners that beef up the main wing are on the right track.
The SS will be ready for an afternoon flight if the wind cooperates. I'll use the farm on this one since I have better luck at repairs with choo choo tracks than with roofs and cement. I also changed over to the stock slow fly prop. I had an APC prop on but I need a size ot 2 up from what I have lying around.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Doug, did I read that right? Comes with esc and brushless motor?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Loubud, the price with the motor and esc is $180. that's still good and i can highly recommend this company. shipping is cheap (i pay the same as to you) and very quick. i'm not going to buy this though - i swear !!
Old 05-29-2005, 04:35 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey All

Bro and I flew today for about 4 hours. Howard brought his Slow Stick and the Multiplex Mag.

I brought the Corsair, P-51, Magpie AP, and the Formosa. I never got to fly the Formosa.

I will be posting links to 2 videos 1 is the Corsair that I crashed on the second flight but no video, I was flying inverted with reduced throws and didn't have enough down. being too close to the ground I CRASHED. Corsair can be fixed in 10 min.

The 2nd video will be of the P-51 with a pending thunderstorm ( look just how much the weather changed in 7 min), WOW was I lucky to get it down ( listen to the wind in the mic).

Well the first video is posted, I will come back and add the link (via edit) for the second.

here is the first one www.aerialstudios.net/corsair5-29.wmv

<EDIT>--- the P51 video is here www.aerialstudios.net/P51-5-29.wmv

Enjoy ALL

Brent
Old 05-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Brent, good vid - it must be nice flying a warbird. i hope my corsair will fly as well - i'll probably build it over the winter
Old 05-29-2005, 06:05 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood & Howard,

That was the best video so far. I just loved the P-51 and the thunderstorm was a great effect, how did you do that? Howard your the best. You kept that plane in the viewfinder just perfect. Great job guys. I just wish you had been struck down by a bolt. You would have been able to sell that one.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:27 PM
millcityforlife

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey hey hey hey dont give the props to my father howard i was the one who was on the video camera give the props to ME I get no CREDIT for my work!!!!!! i did the corsair 2
Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kyle

Relax, Pappy knew it was you, but he just got a little confuded with the names Hee Hee Hee

Kyle, you did a GREAT job with the cam today, THANKS

Pappy

Thanks for the [sm=thumbup.gif] on the video, We were having a BLAST today.

Glue is curing as I type, winds will be 3 MPH tomorrow, I think I will fly tomorrow ( No Video though).

Later ALL

Brent
Old 05-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kyle, Brent and Howard. One of your best vids yet. Pappy is right about that back drop. Everything looked real good from here.
Thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

God vid Brent I didn't relize how bad the weather looked. Poor Kyle had a bad day it must of been from being thirsty or going without food for 2 hours as we all know if i was taking the vid everyone would suffer motion sickness just to bad we missed the crash and i wasn't even egging Brent on.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:00 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I take back what I said about Howard.

Kyle You're the Best

Great job guys, flying and video. I absolutly loved it.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:06 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well ALL

I also had the MagpieAP with me, I took some pictures as well.

This is what New Hampshire looks like in spring time

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34382.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	277953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35384.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	277954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45900.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	277955  
Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brent, A beautious place ya got there. Oh, pics are good too.

Lipo update. Just came from Aero-nuts and the lipos are sold out. Good prices on other stuff so still worth the look. Just ordered all kinds of stuff from Balsa products and Dymond. Got the lipos at Dymond as the prices were very close. Dirt cheap.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Pilot Ray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Everyone,
I flew my Sky Hawk plane Sunday evening and the flights are better than ever. I have done about 20 full battery flights since aluminum rod reinforcing my Sky Hawk’s crashed damaged main wing and I can now say that my plane definitely handles the wind better. I can now keep the plane tracking really straight even when hitting severe turbulence and the plane will just rock the wings a little, while staying very controllable (just like the full size gliders do in the wind).

Hi grounded in japan,
Thanks for the carbon fiber information. I will keep your Carbon fiber rod reinforcement advice in mind for future modifications. A carbon fiber rod was my first thought for use, but I figured since I was just experimenting, I decided on the spur of the moment to use what I had close by for my first prototype test flying. I think RayRay mentioned that he might try a carbon fiber rod in his Sky Hawk wing though. I really enjoy reading your posts about all that experimenting and different things you try with all those different planes you own. Very informative.

Hi LouBud,
I can’t believe the damage your SS plane received in just falling of that roof. I agree with Randy in saying that your neighbor must of dissected it. I think a crash on the railroad track by the farm would of caused less damage. It really sounds like that farm flying area might be a much safer place to fly at after all. Oh well.

Hi afineman,
Very nice country settings. Looks like I can see a Christmas tree farm in the one photo and a grape growing or orchard farm in the other photos. Nice photos.

Thanks,
Pilot Ray
Old 05-30-2005, 08:04 AM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Battery Question for you tecno guys

I flew my Skimmer a couple of weeks ago with the same 1100 batteries that we were using in the Badius and it seemed to work fine, except that the batteries were very hot after each flight (2) and I thought that was a little odd. The batteries never got hot when in the Badius.

The current draw was 10 amps in the Skimmer and I think around 7amps in the Badius.

The other day I went to try the Skimmer again and I topped off the batteries just before flight, as I try to do. I fired up the motor and it sounded like it was up to speed, but I guess you can never really tell without a tach, and I tossed it anyway. It took off nice and level, but was having a heck of a time climbing. Seconds later, I knew I was not getting the power I was used to, so I landed.

The battery was very weak, so I called it a day and went home.

I put the battery on the Triton and ran a couple of discharge/charge cycles to see what was going on.

The battery only took 863mah and 10.23v on the D/C cycle
On the Discharge cycle it discharged to 8.65v and 816mah

The other battery only took 251mah and on discharge only showed 206mah, so I am assuming they are both shot.

I know that heat is the major cause of damage to batteries, so I am assuming that the one flight with each of these batteries in the Skimmer at 10 amps destroyed them.

I thought these 1100mah 8.4v batteries that we were using could handle 10 amps, but maybe not. How do we know if they are not C rated?

I am going to try my one and only Poly battery. It is a 3S 1500 pack 8C rated. It should handle 12 amps correct? I will have to hook it up on the bench to see what it draws, as the voltage being 11.1 v/s 8.4 the current will be higher. Hopefully within range.

I do have many Charge/Discharge cycles on those Badius batteries, but it was strange that it happened right after those two flights, so I guess that was the cause.

Anyone know what the C rating would be? I know some of you have used them with speed 400 motors and that's what I have in the Skimmer.

Hollywood, New England in the spring and fall is Fabulous. Beats Florida.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:06 AM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Pappy,

I was discussing the same issues with my 1100 batts with Doug. Same classic symptoms of a batt and the very end of its life cycle -- very hot at the end of its flight and "whimpy" even after topping them off. The only electronic test that I did were with Digg, using my Stryker and found that the Stryker is pulling 11amps at WOT. I dont know what the "C" rating is on these 1100mah batts.
Any of you guys know if there is a way to "revive" these packs. If one cell is the culprit of a bad pack, is it possible to identify the culprit cell and swap it out? I have 2 1100mah packs that I no longer fly with the Stryker.

Doc / Kyle - Great video/effects and pics as always.

Thanks,

Tailwind
Old 05-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi Captain Randy, i flew the 1100mah for a while in the f27 and they didn't put out as much amps as the stock f27 8.4v battery. i also have some 1500mah 9.6v bats and they don't put out as many amps as the stock 9.6v f27 bat - you can tell by weak to power and slow flying and the sound of the motor. however, they did last for a long time flight wise. this is probably the thing with cheap bats - they are not so cheap really. maybe you have damaged them, but i think somebody else would know better.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 AM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RayRay & Doug,

Thanks, I guess I am wondering if it was just thier age or I pushed them too hard with the 10amps. I wouldn't think so, but I am not sure. I knew there was a problem when they got that hot. They are usually only warm.

Maybe I should try a 2S lipo instead of the 3 cell. Would be a bit lighter and the amps would not be a problem. I know it would be slower, but as long as I can get her up to thermal height.

The 1100's are cheap enough, I just wouldn't want to fry some new ones right off the bat.

Hope you guys are all having a nice Holiday weekend.

Have a drink for all those that have gave the ultimate for their country.

I salute them all.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Randy.
I have Old Glory flying now.
Re: the batteries we've been using in the Badius. I made a mistake and bought a 1050 mah bat from Cheapbatterypacks competitor and when I got the battery I started swearing as I didn't get 2 bats, just one. So I ordered the 2 1100 mah bats and have been rotating all 3 in the Badius. The 1100 mah bats were never half the the battery as the 1050 mah in power or longevity. One of the 1100 mah is useless and has been for quit a while and the other 1100 mah bat is fading while the 1050 bat is good as new. I've tried recycling and even letting the weaker bat rest for a month os so before recycling it and putting it back into the rotation. It still is my worst battery with the other 1100 mah bat right behind it.
Seems to me that with lipos coming down in price and having a weight advantage that the nimh's we use will or should be replaced with a lipo when a nimh bat gives up the ghost. Nimh's have their place and so do lipos. To keep cost down we'll still buy the nimhs to avoid getting add on cut off's for the lipos. Some applications don't qualify for an expensive upgrade. And a stock Badius is a plane that flys well with the nimh's.
Or just go crazy and toss all of the brushless stuf and go brushless and lipos all the way. Couple of planes out there flying V-12's we'd all like to try.

SS notes.
Ready to fly. Only need to adjust the trims and cg. If Wifey wakes up soon enough I'll give her (the SS, not wifey) a toss and see what happens. I call the SS "everyones plane" meaning that anyone in my family can fly it when they come over. Well, the family was here yesterday and every single one of them pointed and laughed at my meager flying skills. All of them pointed at the damaged plane and then at me an laughed some more. They didn't buy into Hazy's magnet story and started laughing again. It was definetly med time. A nap followed. Then another nap as the family was still pointing and giggling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service