Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 PM
AgCat1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hi there, Haze. There is always a debate in the air about that! I don't believe it would be impossible to turn without ailerons, but it would be much easier with them or at least put some dihederal in the wings. Pulling back on the stick a little and then adding a little rudder will still cause the plane to bank and turn. The stearman had almost no dihederal, but it would turn. You will get a lot of slipping sideways where if the wing was pitched up and then pushed around into the on coming wind by the rudder, you can see that the wind would be pushing under that wing and causing it to rise. Where flat, it would just point edge on into the wind.

Hope I complete confused you!

I sold my house and bought a Thunder Power 2100 11.1v Li-Po today! I tried it on the cub and I had to hold the plane down. Really! It almost jerked out of my hand! Awesome!!!!! It should fly now without wings!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Loubud

Thanks Sticks. The Thunder Power is the lipo I use on the heli. One of the few Lipos that haven't nose dived in price. I got mine at the biginning of the year for a bit over seventy bucks. And that was without shipping. Should do all you want it to do. The T-Rex guys use that lipo all the time. Run it at over 25 amps all day. Shouldn't pose a problem for you.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
AgCat1982

Haze, does the gearbox on your MP Jet make a loud vibration type sound when you run it up?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Loubud

Geez Sticks. I dunno. It certainly isn't quiet. I took it apart when I first got it to see if it was lubed up. At wot is makes a lot of racket with the prop on. I haven't tried it with the prop off. It isn't as loud as a GWS gearbox.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
AgCat1982

I wouldn't run it up without a prop. It makes a very loud noise and apparently yours does too. It's probably ok.

This is the battery needed on the Aerofly, also. It would be lighter and handle the amps.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Loubud

Ok. They must sound the same. Do you want me to send the T.P. to use on the Aerofly? It'll save yours from any damage while testing that darn plane!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 PM
AgCat1982

No, I don't want you to send anything else out here. I feel I need to get it finished and on back to you anyway!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
AgCat1982

Haze, I told you I picked up a three bladed prop to try on the Aerofly didn't I?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Loubud

Sticks, you did. Just awaiting flight reports. Actually I thought you were getting a bit tired of messing with it. I half expected to see it on my doorstep. Since the Slipper is still missing it would be good to have a purple plane again!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 AM
AgCat1982

Tell you what, I have really enjoyed working with this plane and I have learned a lot from it! I will patch up the covering a little and send you the rest of the pearl and purple covering. I really think you should get in some time on this for your own satisfaction. It's all built, you may want to recover some of it, there is plenty of covering. You will feel better about putting any money in motor, battery, esc, or whatever if you have it with you. I will box it up over the weekend and try to get it on the way to you before the middle of the week. What do you say?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Loubud

Hi Sticks,
That sounds ok as I have thought for a while now that you didn't want to mess with it for much longer. My bro and I talked about that the other day. We agreed it was a pretty big responsibilty for you. Geez, the thought of me crashing someone elses plane is a crummy thought. We both appreciate you putting it together for me. I could never have done it myself. Thanks. You need $$ for shipping?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:46 AM
AgCat1982

Naw, you sent enough the first time. I am not ditching out on you, but, I think you understand. I thought I was in for a big rebuilding the second time I flew it! I am just gun shy about your plane now!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Loubud

I can understand the gun shy stuff. I would be too. If it did get totaled it wouldn't be all that big a deal to me or my Bro. It's a huge plane and a mutha to build. I guess it'll be ok for my Bro and I to total it. I'll find a field and practice with the Omei!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

well the badius super soarer is no more. i've replaced the wing with the stock straight 'straight' wing and i'll maiden that next week. haven't thought of a name for it yet, but it will be interesting to see if it turns with no dihedral. if it doesn't i'll have to think how to put ailerons on it. ummmmm
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Airbourne in Japan

check this out . 120mph !! http://www.rcsuperstore.co.uk/store/...&cat=62&page=1 great source of pusher and d/f jets. may get this OHMYGAWDNOTANOTHER PLANE!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:04 PM
afineman

Hey Alll

Well the Gws Spitfire is ready to go.

I'm using this motor http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=V298562 wit a 10 X 8 prop, BP's 18 amp ESC and 1,200 Mah 3 cell lipos.

She weighs in at 13.2 oz, BUT I have over 16 oz thrust and a calculated top speed of 38 Mph, SSOO this is another plane that I don't need to fly, just steer it.

I even did the camo paint, not bad for the first time just using the spray can..

If I can get Howard to go flying tomorrow I will maiden it, with video of course He Hee Hee.

Later All

Brent
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43204.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	283207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64973.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	283208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64008.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	283209  
Old 06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
CaptainRandy

Hollywood,

Nice looking paint job you got there. Hope the maiden goes well.

We are dealing with Tropical storms already, so no flying for days.[&o]

I am starting to see what you have been saying about having enough power. When I flew the Skimmer with the 3S lipo, she just took right off and went stright out and up, no circling and fighting to get her to altitude.

That's what you mean about just steering her.

Good luck and get some video
Old 06-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Airbourne in Japan

got my parkzone rtf mustang today, and spent about an hour setting it up. put deans plugs on the esc and bat, put the wing on to find the esc bat wire is too short to connect the bat. damm, will have to solder wires onto it. anyway it's quite nice and looks good, but a lot more fragile than the f27, but it's a different kettle of fish. i think hand launching is going to be difficult as the only place to hold it is on the fus behind the wing and the weight's forward, so will have to be careful about launching it. anyway after the crappage corsair and the gws me109 both didn't fly, this one probably will, knowing parkzone. will maiden it next week.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:15 PM
AgCat1982

Hollywood, did my post make any sense to you about the differential?

Plane looks good! Good luck!

I got a great maiden with my Stryker today! It flew just great with good speed and power. It was lots of fun! A little different than the Slow Stick! I am going to try a different prop next time. The stryker guys seem to think I need a shorter one.

I got it on video, but my current computer system will not let my capture card work![:@] It may be a day or two before I have it ready.

Flew the cub. Still, NO GOOD! I do not know what the problem here is! I now have enough power to fly it unlimited vertical and it will not fly! I had good speed but it would still not turn very well and some times not at all! It did a double back flip on the first attempt to get it back on the ground. Just a single flip on the second flight when I attempted, again, just to get it back on the ground in one piece!
I have some serious studying to do on the CG and ailerons. The faster it goes the less able to turn it is! Makes NO sense. There was plenty enough speed! I had to cut the throttle to get it under control.

Later on the cub. I have it on video, also.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 PM
afineman

Sticks

I posted on RCGroups, in the GWS thread, I got a few suggestions BUT the 1 I listened to was the one that said.

"On a cub that would be a good thing to do. BUT, on an acrobatic plane, it is the wrong thing to do". It was explained that if I did that then the rolls would not be straight.

With the power I am running/low weight. I suspect, aileron trim will just be a formality.

BUMMER about the Cub, I just did a pre flight check on the Spit, I am SSOO pissed, the main wing to elevator was off by 1/4 if an inch.

I had to shim the main wing (1/4 inch) to get it level with the elevator, I guess that is what I get for painting it prior to the maiden.

Much later ALL

Brent
Old 06-10-2005, 11:34 PM
AgCat1982

Hollywood, it's no biggie, but, you didn't say if my post made any sense! If it didn't I need to figure a better way to word it!

The cub just has me completely dumbfounded! I just looked at the video and you could see how fast it was flying. At times it seemed to be tail heavy, but, it doesn't check out that way! I am going to have to look at everything from the ground up as tho I was building it myself.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Loubud

Sticks!!! What the heck is going on with that darned Cub? It should fly like nobody's business. It's gotta be something simple. Something that you'll say "Doh!" when you figure it out.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:41 PM
AgCat1982

I hope so! I did have a GREAT maiden with the Stryker! That's a really fun plane to fly! When I get used to the speed I will go for a faster motor. Some are using the motor you have on the Aerofly with good results. That will be my next purchase I think.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Loubud

I forgot to mention the Stryker. Pretty fast, eh? The Aerofly motor price is dropping right now. Mid summer and it should bottom out.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:47 PM
AgCat1982

Yes, I saw that. I just bought one good motor and I have to loan some money to my daughter for a short period so she can get set up to teach. As soon as some other funds come thru I am going to buy a couple and a couple ESC's. I wish that cheap site would get more Li-Po's! I want to try one of those to see if they are any good and get some of them if they are. I looked yesterday and they are still "out"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.