Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 07-05-2005, 09:50 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hey Hollywood,

Nice A-10 flying. I was waiting for a low inverted pass, but was happy with the commetary at the end. Nice going.

Hey fellas, I still have two of the Hollywood Cd's here ready to be mailed to the first two high bidders. Just PM me your address and I'll send them out.

Hope everyone had a safe fourth.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:36 AM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All

My 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY, well I guess the honey moon is over

#1 post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1965479

In 2 weeks, it will be my 1 year anniversary with the AB, I feel a movie coming on for that

Later all

Brent
Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 AM
AndyL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brent, Great videos! The A10 is one of my favorite planes. One day when I break down and go 4 channel I'm going to get one.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:53 AM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood,

Nice movie of your A10 but I was expecting to see something catastrophic like the "yard sales" I used to have with my Stryker. Thats wasn't a crash, it was a hard landing the the bushes (thank God).

Wow, 1 year on RCU already? Happy Anniversary!

Take care,

Tailwind
Old 07-06-2005, 01:38 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sundance, I am using a Thunder Power 2100 11.1v

Old 07-06-2005, 02:03 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood, that's the first time I have gotten to see the a-10 fly! Looks good!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks sticks, Im using a 2s lipo and sometimes an 8 cell nimh pack. Do you think that would still be the way to go? I still havent gotten to the LHS yet so fire away.

Brent, wow, that makes me feel good. I've been on here for longer than you[sm=biggrin.gif]. You still got me on the knowledge though [:@]. Anyway, I thought your A-10 was a brick. Did you get new motors or somethin? I have been thinking (I always use that term loosely) about either the A-10 or B-2. both are perty sweet. But yea, good flying.

Magpie, where are you?????????????? get here already[>:]....
Old 07-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Brent, i'm glad you didn't destroy the a10, i enjoyed watching it fly. seems like the hot setup for that is using himax 2015-4200 and 10 amp phoenix. i was even thinking of getting one, but i'll wait until i successfully fly the corsair. i like the sound of the twin motors.

no flying for me for a while, it's the rainy season, 4 weeks of non stop rain. getting plenty of computer work done though. have to wait finishing the wattage wild cat because the threads on the elevator control rod don't work and wattage are sending me another. this has one rod from the servo going to a wooden rod and then 2 rods coming from that going to each side of the elevator, so i can't easily replace it with something else. haven't bought anything this week apart from mustang spares, no planes !!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doc, congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! Your first post is an interesting story.
Wow you have had a great year. Thanks for bringing it to us and all the help along the way!

Congratulations to Howard as well!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To the Techno geeks.
Can you explain this. In the air on one of my Strykers, I'm noticing a 1 to 1 1/2 second delay in throttle response. I move the stick and can wait a few beats, and then I hear the motor change pitch.
On the ground all works correctly, oh and I notice no diff in other control functions in the air.
Hitec 555, CC35, Ultimate ubec, Futaba Tx.
What the heck is going on?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Glacier Girl, i can't explain why, but have you tried another rx ?

badius notes, the straight wing no dihedral badius now has ailerons. they are full span, with a servo for each aileron mounted under the wing. i'll try to take some pics in the next few days after i try flying it, if it flies ok. this wing wouldn't fly with just the rudder. tomorrow is supposed to be nice weather, so maybe then.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GG

2 thoughts

1: speed of sound

2: do you have a brush-less motor, if so the soft start may be active.

I'm kinda thinking it is #1 ( as per your explanation ), did this start all of a sudden? have you flown this plane before? did you notice it then?

Just a thought

<EDIT> AndyL you don't need a 4 ch tx for the A-10. E,A,T only option on the A-10
If you are looking for a low cost 4 ch tx go here http://www.balsapr.com/

Brent
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Glacier Girl, i can't explain why, but have you tried another rx ?

badius notes, the straight wing no dihedral badius now has ailerons. they are full span, with a servo for each aileron mounted under the wing. i'll try to take some pics in the next few days after i try flying it, if it flies ok. this wing wouldn't fly with just the rudder. tomorrow is supposed to be nice weather, so maybe then.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I do have set at soft start, and yes this is something new. In thinking back, if I remember correctly, bird was delayed visually also. Did not pick up/down till motor seemed to catch up.
I'll try another Rx and see what happens.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:29 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sundance, if you want some speed out of that BP-21 you will have to go to the 3s pack.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:48 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got the magpie!!! Hope I can put it together right. Doc, you got any tips on the building that I might need to consider? Perciate it .

Sticks, I was afraid of that... Maybe next paycheck. Im also thinking of getting the futaba 7ch tx. no package, just an upgraded tx. Do y'all think thats a good idea?

PS. Cindy and Dennis, if you are reading this, GO AWAY!!!! I cant fly with you here[:@].
Old 07-07-2005, 07:33 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

iflyatcae

As far as building the Magpie ( I have the AP version, bigger wing no ailerons), I would suggest you read some of the magpie threads on RCGroups. I spent a week reading them while awaiting my AP plane.

Also on you quest for a 7 ch tx, the question is "WHY?", that was one of the first things I did to upgrade my AB, I went and got a 6 ch Hitec, as of this date I have only used 4 chs and until I start to fly full house ( R,E,A,T ) with landing gear and a bomb drop, I'll never use all the channels.

iflyatcae, when I decided to buy my 6 ch, people tried to talk me out of it, I didn't listen, 1 year later they were correct.

BUT you will now say " It has model memory " search the forums, you will find more people forgot to switch models ( and crashed), than people forgot to reverse that model's servos.

Just my 2 cents worth

Brent
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

after 4 days or nonstop rain and 2 very windy days before that, it was ok today. so 5 planes went with me and the dog to the glider field. 3 to maiden. it was one of those days of mixed blessings as i realised when the first thing was one battery wire came off the connector on the f27 bat (got 2). so anyway, flew the himax badius and that was fun. near the end of the flight the prop sounded funny so i alanded it. the plastic prop gear had stripped all it's teeth. luckily i've got a spare gearbox, so no big deal. then the gws corsair. actually flew this time, using a 2 cell 2000mah lipo, geared eflight 4200 motor and 10x5 prop, but was underpowered and wouldn't climb. also, it wanted to turn left all the time and would hardly turn right, so the wing must be a bit funny. anyway, it went into the jungle after a couple of attempts at flying and i was going to stop, but i was having fun and thought one more try. so anyway, it went into the jungle on the other side of the field. now the new motor isn't working, so i need to find out why as well as some modification, including fitting a 3 cell lipo. anyway at least it flew, but nothing like Brent's maiden. the the zagi xt twin. threw it a couple of times to get the hang of launching it, then did it for real, adding power and off it went. after about 3 minutes, just when i was getting the hang of it, the aileron came off one side and it plunged deep into the jungle. found it ok, but the ailerons are both (balsa) matchwood, one new servo is buggered and the battery hatch and one wingtip fin are lost. shame, it was fun, will have to wait a month or so until my latest shipment from tower gets here - luckily i ordered som balsa aileron wood. then the star - the full span badius elevator no dihedral straight winged plane. this has a motor max and 400t with a 9x5 folder and it flew great !! the ailerons worked perfectly and it turns on a dime. didn't try any rolls, but they should be ok. another time. anyway the f27 came last and then it was dog walking time and off home for a well deserved cup of tea. this afternoons work, planes !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62219.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	294881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97447.jpg
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	294882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39555.jpg
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	294883  
Old 07-08-2005, 12:53 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All, here is todays flight report!

I went flying this morning from 8:00am to 10:30am. Went to the park with -BAB and Killer.[sm=punching.gif] Strapped a Lipo on killer, set it down on the ball field did the preflight check, A OK!

Took off after going 3 ft. and flew all around these 4 baseball fields at 3 to 20 ft off of the ground for a good 10 minutes. Then I did a full lap around the park at about 100 to 120 feet. I've never done this before because this place is huge! Right at 80 acres and there are usually people here in the evenings when I come to fly. In the morning the park is pretty much all mine! This lap is the route I plan to fly once I get my Aiptek Cam mounted.. Think I'm going to mount it onto Killer first and see what I get. The Lap went well since the winds where calm then.

Then I flew it above me awhile, very high! Saw a buzzard nearby and as I got near it, I thought it would actually leave but It seemed to watch and then we both circled each other about 3 times around before it soared away... what a trip! Did many loops up there. Did a dive that must have been 300ft straight down before leveling off at about 100ft. I was having a blast with this, my new plane. This SS is quite surprising little rig...very glad I got it. (Pappy you are going to love it too) Flew it around the ball fields very Low and Slow until the ESC cut the motor... Great fun for the first batt! [sm=thumbup.gif]I'd estimate total air time around 25 to 30 minutes (forgot to time it)

Changed the Lipo and put the first one on the charger at 1.3 amps with the Voltage Limiting Safety Device installed. Went back to the field with Killer and did much of the same.. The wind picked up a lot (Hurricane Dennis is starting to affect the weather here) and it tossed Killer around enough I wasn’t comfortable flying at 3,4 or 5 ft off the ground anymore. So we went to about 40 ft. It traveled slow into the wind awhile, jumping up and down 1 or 2 feet at a time. Heading into the wind I did a loop and it was such a tight loop because of the wind & WOT. Once I lifted the nose up, it looped back so quickly I bet it was 4 foot in diameter and in under a second.. Being a newbie, this is amazing. I also felt in control the entire time and was surprised by this too! I did another one and then did 3 in a row…[sm=cool.gif] Wished it could have been caught on tape.. I still can’t believe it myself! So guess where that lead…. Can you say Inverted Flight, [sm=lol.gif] YEP!!! Had to give it a try. I did ok with it twice, but again got uncomfortable in the turbulence and decided to play it safe and finish out the flight doing normal circuits. I was expecting more time when the ESC cut the motor. Seemed like only 12 or 15 minutes… must have been at WOT the entire time.

Went back to the van and put this Lipo on the charger too. Had a drink as it was getting hot out. Put the 3rd Lipo into the –BAB, walked into the field to take on the wind.

I tossed it and up she went into the wind. This time out, I timed my fight, 37 minutes!
I sailed around so high once I lost it overhead for 25 seconds…[] that’s more than enough time to get nervous. I was looking around again to see where the birds where… I cut the power and spent 3 or 4 minutes coming down and then climbed up there again. This time it didn’t want to come down when I cut the power.. after 7 or 8 minutes I did a dive that was unbelievable. Straight down then a smooth leveling off at the top of the tree line. I finished up cruising around the ball fields and landed for some reason with a plop nearby.

I had a great time and decided to call it quits. I went home with two undamaged planes and two of the three Lipos I had fully charged…

Here are a few photos, Hope you enjoy them

Grounded, I like your -BAB (400t) I'm thinking about giving the straight wing a try to see what it is like..But I don't plan on the alerons just yet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36512.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	294995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88089.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	294996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84667.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	294997  
Old 07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Carl,

Nice flight report and beautiful looking planes You sure don't sound like a newbie anymore.

Sounds to me like you got it wired buddy. You sure sounded like you were having some fun and that's what is all about. Wish I were there as we could have had a soaring contest.

Dennis is starting to get closer, so I guess the weather will suck for a few days. We just got back from Key West a few weeks ago, glad we went when we did. We have a lot of friends that live in the Keys. We used to have a place in Islamorada MM85, but sold years ago.

We sure had our share of the storms last year, still repairing damage around here from those two storms. We need a break this year.

If we get hit again this year, I am going out to CA to live with Hazy.

I haven't getton around to ordering the SS yet. Is yours a SS or Yard Stick?

Later, Pappy
Old 07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys

found another free place to host my 10 meg movies.

Here they all are

!!!!!! WARNING!!!!!!! SOME OF THESE VIDEOS HAVE SOME COLORFUL LANGUAGE

1 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=skis
2 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=howard16
3 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=magi
4 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=corsair-new
5 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=P51
6 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=f-maiden
7 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=lucky51
8 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=filler
9 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Mary-Kate
10 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=spit
11 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=ABnutz
12 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=foam1
13 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=these78
14 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=abdanger
15 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=walkaround-049
16 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=corsair4
17 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=J3
18 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=again28
19 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=ABHi
20 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=walkaround-016
21 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=ultfun
22 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=ult2
23 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=learning67
24 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=day46
25 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Formosa
26 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=funday
27 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=walkaround-017
28 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=BladeRunner1
29 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=another
30 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=magpie34
31 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=crash3370
32 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=brushless60
33 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=inverted
34 http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=slide53

I didn't include the Xmas video, Lou's birthday video, or the A-10 crash video ( because of the adult songs)

Brent
Old 07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Captian, Thanks a lot. I got the Slow Stick. Here is a link to the post I made when I got it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3078545

A soaring contest sounds cool. But I'm not so sure yet how you do it. Today all I did was fly to a high altitude and kill the motor. When it stayed up for 7 or 8 minutes I didn't do anything. In fact, for about 90 seconds I did not touch the elevator stick at all and the rudder, I barely controlled it either. So you can see I don't know much there yet and you would probability win... But I'm up for the fun anytime, ok!

I agree too, on needing a break from these storms. Stay safe.

Thanks Doc that is a fine video library... with all the rain headed here I'll be checking them all out throughout the weekend or maybe swimming[sm=drowning.gif].
Old 07-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Carlf, interesting flight report, sounds like a lot of fun !! i am thinking of putting together a 70mph badius, with the same wing as the badius himax nutter, ie aerobird 1m wing, but with 3 cf rods or maybe 2. motor will be a warp 4 turn prop 4.7x4.7 graupner pylon and bat 3100 mah 3 cell polyquest. getting the motor next week. fitting the bat into the plane will be the biggest challenge, but Brent and Howard have already done this so i guess i'll have to remove the servo tray and mount the servos on the fus wall (epoxied). the badius himax nutter probably does 35mph, but i am feeling the need for more speed. main limiting factor is the wing structural strength, hence multiple cf rods and maybe glassfibre tape over it. i have never done any glassfibring, but that would be useful for the wing, but it's a little difficult to get my wife to translate stuff like that at the hardware shop !! will keep you all posted on any developments. ps, i've got 1 spare space in the badius 'alter' so it needs to be the ultimate haha !!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug

DO NOT use epoxy, it will not stick, and also the AB fuse is flexible, the epoxy is not.

Howard and I use a good carpet double sided tape. wash the selected fuse spot with alcohol as well as the side of the servo.

I have broken 2 servos trying to remove the tape, it sticks that well.

OOOHHHH Carl, nice flight/report[sm=thumbup.gif]

Brent
Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback