Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Yabba dabba doooo.
I got the 1st of 2 shipments of misc. parts. 2 folding prop assemblies and blades and things I don't need. Today or tomorrow I should get the new Dymond lipos and it's off to the races. Right now I have to do another mod to the Omei so the lipos will fit. Should be fun. Just take a Dremel and have at it. Hopefully I can fly the Omei this weekend.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:59 PM
RayRay

Louie,

Its not Xmas yet! What's going on over there?
What size prop are you using on your Omei? I'm using a Graupner 7.5x4 CAM Folding Prop pulling 18amps according to P-Calc.

RR
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Loubud

Rabid,
I'm going to use an Aero-Naught CAM Fiber 10X7. This size should fall in the middle of the recomended prop sizes by MP Jet. I'll report the flight and the landing as I'll try it out over the farm. Got some nice new plantings out there so maybe it'll be a soft landing. I'll take a grocery bag with me and do a little shopping.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Loubud

Yippee Yi ho,
Dymond lipos are here. Now to figure out a battery tray.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:24 PM
AJ1202

Hey guys I need help again
Should be fairly simple this time I hope, I bought a new GWS 15amp ESC to use with Shun DA electronics and when I hook it up and turn TX on the motor starts running at slow speed and won't stop, it will rev up and all servo's are working OK but motor won't shut off
Is this just components not working together? How can I fix this or can I fix it
I haven't had a chance to order new MOSFETS to repair ESC I fried
Brent I fixed the issue with caps, I'm sure this time
I wanted to try to maiden new build this weekend but I'm afraid this could be a problem
Old 10-14-2005, 09:38 PM
ktaylor

AJ,

There's supposed to ba a brake in the esc I believe. How to turn it on or off, I have no clue. My E-flite esc does the same thing. Motor just sorta hums, then slowly starts turning. It will still cut off when the voltage gets too low. How to make it go away, You'd hafta try to get Brent's attention away from his stryker to get that answer. Although I think carl might know as well, heck probably any of these guys other than me.

I flew with my glowsticks again tonight. Pretty cool with them going across the span rather than with it. I put two green on the left and two orange on the right, (orange is sorta yellow more than orange). I had no problem seeing it at all. Worked much better than with them running spanwise. Only bad thing is, I can't light up the trees that I knew were there somewhere. Didn't crash into them, just dove it down, did a quickie landing. Bad thing about using a straight prop on a belly landing, bent motor shaft. Had almsot zero power after that, and it sounded like a motorcross bike after that. zero climb rate, stayed at the same alt that I threw it from. Oh well, might as well wait for the brushless. Might dink around with Liz's plane though.

Brent,
On that plane I bought for Liz, it uses throttle mixing to achieve rudder control. I wanna get rid of that, and give her a normal rudder with twin motor. Do I A: run both motors off of one normal esc?
b: run one esc for each motor?
c: forget the idea?

Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Aj205

I'm not sure what type of Tx you are using? If beside the sticks there are slider type Trim controls, try sliding the one beside the throttle all the way down and see is the motor stops then. I can't think of anything else...

Roger, I liked the show photos, and that Stearman look to be right up your alley..you should get it!
Whatever happened on the Agcat order???

Ken, on the Lipos, the mAh rating of a pack is equal to 1C. Capacity x 1. When charging, the Max amperage to use is equal to 1C.
(So a 1000 mAh pack has a max charge rate of 1 Amp and a 1500 mAh pack is 1.5amps) The C rating of a Lipo pack indicates the maximum recommended discharge rate. So a 1350 mAh 10C pack will be able to output 13.5 Amps. This is pretty standard but there also are many specialized packs that can be different. So Read and Follow the instructions you get with them!!

I'd also set your charger to the NiMh and the fewest number of cells it has available. ALWAYS use the the Safety Guard when charging your Lipos. They will charge the pack to the correct voltage, and then it terminates the charge cycle automatically. For a 7.4v 2 cell pack the voltage cutoff is at 8.4 volts.

Hope this helps
Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

hey Ken, you can run 2 brushed motors off of 1 esc, just make sure it has enough amp rating. the motors probably pull less than 6 amps if they are 380's or 400's but they are probably 180's or 280's if it's anything like my first rc plane.

should finish the wooden spitfire this afternoon and mak a start on the cub. the spitfire's going to use a 1800 3cell 10/12c bat for now and the himax outrunner will only run a 8x5 prop, instead of the 9x10 i tried at first. i've got a 2100 15c on order from dyamond which i will use later. the only bummer about this plane is that i'll have to take the wing off to put the bat in as there's no room on top.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:44 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Ktaylor, I don't know how I missed this post but, I Did
ORIGINAL: ktaylor

ok heres what i have coming

450F tractor brushless from justgofly.com $60.95 with shipping

kokam lipo 3 cell safety guard, E-TEC Lithium Polymer 11.1V 1250mAh HP 12c,
BP 30A Brushless ESC, all from www.balsapr.com $95.90 w/shipping

should have the cabability to go insane, but to be honest now that I have it all ordered, I think I'm gonna be somewhat afraid to fly this arrangement. The anus already is a little puckered at the thought of it. Definately going out to the beanfeilds to test this out. I'm waiting on an email in return from the guy at justgofly as to what prop he'd recommend.
I think you are out of your mind!!! No offense, but I'd be scared to fly that setup!
It is going to do things you don't yet expect. I'd suggest you reconsider a 2 cell pack for awhile. It may be so fast that you flat out scrape your plane.

Have you ever seen your wings FOLD yet? You should consider a second reinforcement rod in the wing. You will need to add about 1.5 oz of weight in the nose. I have 7 quarters in the nose right behind the motor. Also, this is a biggie.When you accelerate watch out, it is going to go nose up, just like you are pulling back on the stick. You may find that this thing is inclined to go into a unwanted loop each time you accelerate.. If your altitude is low it will loop around quickly and nose dive right into the ground. Climb to an altitude the is equal to 3 mistakes high BEFORE you try anything! Thrust angle of the motor is how you control this issue.

Some of you other Skilled and experienced fliers can fill in the blanks for me and Ken.!!!

Thanks all.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Airbourne in Japan

i don't know about the size of the motor max 450, is it longer ? if it's wider, it probably wont fit in a badius. i would use a carbon fiber rod in the wings instead of the nylon rod if you're using straight wings. also, you may find you need ailerons. as long as you balance it it should fly ok. i put a big himax outrunner in my badius and it flys really nicely, but that has full span ailerons. i tried a warp 4 turn motor in another badius and that wouldn't fly without ailerons, it was really unstable. i also put a himax motor and gearbox in another badius, and that flew ok with just rudder, using the lowest gearing, but when i put a higher gearing it was completely unstable, even with ailerons.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Loubud

Hey Ken. Hazy told me to tell you to go for it. Carl is right about the nose going up. Just be prepared to give her a little down elevator at the same time. Grounded has good points too but ya gotta try it first to understand the problems that arise.
Did Carl say he has blanks or is blank? I'll have to reread the post.
Hazy won't be here tomorrow. Something about serving the community for 20 hours.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:55 PM
AgCat1982

Well, I screwed up and left my camcorders here, today, when I went out to the farm to test fly my hopped up AeroBird Challenger.[:@] Fellows, this is the most improvement, from changing from stock to brushless and LiPo, to an RC aircraft that I have ever seen!!!![8D] My brother gave it a toss for me it simply shot straight up from a stand still and climbed until I was losing orientation and leveled off!!!!! Flying around at 1/3 throttle, I was able to stay up for more than 30 minutes!!!!! A first for me! I believe I could have just glided around all morning and got way more time than that! I could reach "speck" altitude in about 5-6 seconds! I was using one of my TP 11.1v 2100 mAh batteries for power and a, slightly trimmed, 7x6 GWS prop. I removed about 1/4 inch from the ends to prevent it from contacting the tail boom if you accidentally land a little hard.

If anyone has an AeroBird laying around ( or still flying, for that matter) and wants to go brushless, I have the thing! If you have your own 72mhz tx, you can do this for, right around, $80 or less! That's the BP-21 brushless motor and ESC, receiver and two servos.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 AM
AgCat1982

Lou, I thought he said "shooting blanks"
Old 10-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Loubud

Sticks,
Congrats on the maiden. I find it amazing how we've gotten to the point of stuffing a hunnerd bucks into an imexpensive trainer and liking it.
I was thinking earlier about that. I bought a rubber band powered stick plane to build and decided to make it electric. While I was at it I thought ailerons would be good and besides, it's just one more servo. Then I thought that since I have ailerons that they should work as flaps and besides, it's just one more servo. May as well get some of those really small servos since it's just a few more bucks each. Then I had to upgrade the RX I was going to use from 4 channel to 6 channel. After all, it was only a few bucks more. It came with tissue for covering that you put dope on and I thought that maybe I would rather use Momcoat. Well, it should be at least 2 colors and another roll is just a few more bucks. Then I decided that the wing should be beefed up and carbon fiber doesn't cost much so I got some of that and some extra because I had to drive all the way out to the LHS to get it and going there for five bucks worth didn't make sense.
So now my 8 buck rubber band powered stick plane is getting pretty close to $175.
How the heck did that happen?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 AM
AgCat1982

You have a point. However, the AeroBird is a $169.00 RTF! You have to buy the entire fuse for $50 to replace ANYTHING of the electronics! Now that is all taken care of!!! Plus, a three times more powerful plane!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Loubud

Ya know Rog, I thought that too. The only reason I can think of to post such a thing was to maybe find someone who isn't shooting blanks to help him out some how. A blind date perhaps? Maybe another youngun?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:46 AM
AgCat1982

Maybe the price of gas is too high for him to go to get more rounds!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 AM
AgCat1982

You can buy that stuff, can't you?[8D]
Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Loubud

So Wingnut, what's the deal? Does Hazy go to your house or not?
Old 10-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Loubud

Hazies stud fees are air fare and a 6 pack.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hey Roger, the aerobird is an excellent plane stock, the wing is also really nice on a badius (except it's not so good for putting ailerons on). the brushless version sounds fantastic. congrats !! just got the wheels left to put on the spit. looks really good. photos next week. maybe i could get someone to fly my me109 and dogfight with the spit !! cub is looking like it wants to be build now the parts are all on the shelf !!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Loubud

Grounded,
How many planes are you going to build this week? You're putting me to shame.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:59 AM
larirudi

I'm brand new to this forum, so immediately have two questions, and I just happened onto YOUR conversation about an AeroBird Challenger gone to BL................ ok, w/o re-reading over 5000 posts, can you tell me approx where THAT conversation started; I'd like to review it (I have a weird kind of like for that orange thing; have several myself)...........

Secondly....... the title re Badius.......... and how do we spell it (Acciptor???).............. in a sentence, what is this forum about; months ago I read the first couple of posts and they actually mentioned, I think, the REAL Acciptor Badius....... (ha, of which I have)........ so is this kind of a "free wheeling" forum that allows the users to drift as far as they want on electric airplanes, or, uh, how would YOU guys describe it, maybe.

Thanks,
LarryR
Old 10-15-2005, 01:00 AM
AgCat1982

Guys, the oil guys have found natural gas out here! For real! We knew they had been sounding for years and weren't sure what, if anything, they had located. So, now that fuel prices are at an all time high, they are leasing our mineral rights for a very nice chunk of change! If only they would drill on my land now!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:06 AM
AgCat1982

welcome, larirudi! This is a bunch of guys who started with the Accipter Badius more that a year ago. After more than 100 pages on the "does anyone fly the Accipter Badius here" thread, some of us wanted to move on to other planes, but stay together. So we started the Accipter Badius Club! Yes, this is a catch all thread for any electric that you are flying or wanting to fly and/or learn about.

I just started on the AeroBird a few posts back. If you will click on my name at the left of this post and enter my profile, you can chose my gallery and see a couple of pictures of what I did to the 'Bird. Ask away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.