Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

GG, you misunderstand. It's one mistake each time! There is ALWAYS ONE mistake!

Hey, no one thought anything about Beaver and Tail in the same sentence. I couldn't believe no one caught it. His beaver had broken tail! Sad and I wouldn't know how to handle that!

Beav, it is not that the plane is tough. It's really not. The grass was thick, tall and ground soft! I found out the main reason the wing broke was the defect I mentioned in the previous post. It's a weak point that needs to be taken notice of. Also, remember the heavy battery was not in the plane when it hit. That helped. On the other hand, if the battery had still been in the plane it would have not crashed!

I am thinking about putting the flying and ground wires on the plane to help. I have seen others done that way. There are several threads dedicated to the Tiger Moth on the other forum. I don't know how it would fly stock. From what I read it seems to fly ok.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 AM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sticks, your right it is a sad thing to have a beaver with a broken tail []
thats why I said I wanted to get a new Beaver and Fokker
So does anyone know about the Fokker
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know what the Fokker you are talking about! sorry!
Old 12-12-2005, 01:20 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Well I went out at lunch today and finally got to maiden the E-Starter. I should have known better as the wind was gusting to about 15mph off and on, but all is good. No crashes to report except on first launch we had no wind and up she went, got to about 80 ft and I was trying to trim it out and wind picked up and blew it behind me, I had to bring it down and drop it in some tall weeds, technicaly it wasn't a crash as it never touched the ground Second launch away it went, made a few circles around the feild getting a feel for the ailerons (which I have to reduce throw on) because they are too touchy, I have them on outermost hole on horn. Way too much throw. anyway after a couple flybys the wind picked back up and the little moron went away and I decided I had tested my luck enough. I was coming around to line up approach and was at about 20 ft and it just stopped and started hovering, I mean it just stopped, right over the road,now my heart starts racing, I bumped it left no go, I bumped it right, no go, so I stood there thinking if it stalls right over the road this will be a bad thing.now I'm really getting nervous, Soo I gave it a touch of down elevator and that was just enough to break the hover and start it moving again, it went over my truck at about 10 ft and was moving so slow it looked like the GoodYear blimb, then gently glided to a landing in the feild about 15 ft from where I was standing. Like I said I knew better, just got lucky this time No vid as I am at work and didn't bring the camera.
Oh yeah BTW I realy like this plane, seems to be very stable
Old 12-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey All,
Lou update. One of Lou's Dr.'s has been trying to find the right combo of meds to help him through his illness. For those that don't know, he had a virus that kicked his butt for a while that finally left but not before doing a bunch of damage. The meds are supposed to help him do things that you and I take for granted. One problem is that it takes a while to find out if the new meds work or not. If they don't, which is normal, they cause weird things to happen. This time around it was dizziness, (like he wasn't already), very blurry vision to the point that he couldn't read the puter for any length of time, couldn't read magazine's or anything else, and couldn't play with his planes, and difficulty concentrating and maintaining a train of thought. Last week we went out to the farm and took an SS. Lou had the tx and gave her full throttle. 30 seconds later Lou wants to know where the plane is. I point "over there". He says "where". I point "over there". This goes on for a while till the SS is kinda small. I take the tx, bring the SS back over to us and give the tx back to Lou for the landing. He brings it in nice and slow and comes in and hits the choo choo tracks just like the old days. Anyway, he'd post little one liners for a while and then just couldn't do it anymore. So, all the stuff you guys posted for the last month, either repost it or let Lou off the hook for not remembering all of it. Either he read it or I read it to him. Sometimes I had to wait for my laughing to stop. Brent had some good stuff and the Beav and the Fokker wasn't too bad. Lou didn't get all of it but he gave it a shot.
Lou is back till the next round of experiments.
Merry Christmas
Haze

P.S.
Nice planes guys.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aj,
Man I could almost hear tha BWAAAAP BWAAAAP of the semi bearing down on your poor bird, stuck on the highway. Kinda like a Wyle E. Coyote, moment there.
Glad it all worked out.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hazy,
Man nice to have you back.
You take care of Lou now, ya hear.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:46 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I second that. Haze take care of Lou

Now it's funny you would mention the rig bearing down on my bird, I tried to condence the story but you have gone a drug the rest out of me. Remember I mentioned the wind taking it right after the first launch, well there was a reason I dropped it in the weeds. I had just sent it up and as I said it was about 80 ft up and when I fly at work I go to a new section of the Ind park and fly in the feild that will soon be wharehouses, anyway I fly with the road to my back and about 50 yards from an intersection. OK it was up there and I am trying to trim it out so I'm just going back and forth down to the intersection then back the otherway, so I was at the intersection side when the wind grabbed it and started pushing it bad, I was dropping the nose into it to control the flight so needless to say I had dropped altitude to about 30 ft when I realised I was loosing this battle so I turned it straight into the wind to land it and I look and here comes a dump truck [X(] I'm loosing altitude and heading toward the intersection and the dump truck[X(] so I let it cross the road about 70 yrds in front of the truck and about even with his bed top, but he turns so no problems, then I am about to bring it back across the road and land it, now were about 8 ft but the wind has died down, out of nowhere this guy on a bicycle comes riding up saying " It's amazing what batteries can do isn't it ". I was so stunned that I took my eyes off the plane for a minute to look at him and respond, then looked back and realised I was about to hit him, so my responce went something like this, Yes it is, OH SH*T then I quickly turned it and dropped it into the weeds. The guy never even looked to see where the plane was, he had been riding beside the dump truck I guess and was watching it when it crossed the road. Luck was with me today
Old 12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Louie,

Welcome back!!! Hazey, when giving Lou his pills, remember it's 1 pill every 4 hours NOT 4 pills every one hour
Remember that one?

Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hazy great to see you back i dont post to much but i read a lot and I have missed reading all the abuse you dish out to Louie.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOUIE & HAZY,, glad to see you two fart knockers are back in action.

Roger,, looked like a blast,, until the end, but that looks pretty repairable,

well, I got my bd-5 kit in the mail the other day, haven't had a chance to start it yet, figured I'd wait till the new motor & everything else showed up. So, everything is here now,, so I think I may follow Brent's lead and start a new thread on that plane in case any other person manages to get that kit from ebay or wherever. I was kinda dissapointed in the body, it's just a 2 inch chunk of insulation foam cut in the profile of the fuse that I still have to carve down for the normal fuselage look, and the tail is made out of colorplast, ( who knew that stuff was just plastic carborad we have that same stuff at work, i have been eyeballing it for a while,,,,) Here's the pics of what i got in the kit,, the instructions kinda suck,, but i can finger it out ( oh it also says it's for a 280 moitor,, oughta hall balls with that Bp2408-21 motor) I paid $21 for the thing, but I've looked around, the wings are worth that. I found 2 places that sell laser cut wings out of pink & blue foam, & they want $25 - $30 for them ( around 42 inches length). I'll post a link later to the bd-5 thread once I get it going.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99616.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	369011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	369012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11528.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	369013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md51720.jpg
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	369014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw36985.jpg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	369015  
Old 12-12-2005, 06:47 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK guys another stupid question, brushless motor using normal nimh batts, will it out perform same size brushed motor on same battery. I want to go brushless, but the lipo's are taking the KISS method out of the equation for me. I'm just afraid from all I've read that I would just keep frying the lipo's, I'm not real good at the monitoring thing
Old 12-12-2005, 07:20 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AJ, yup,,, out perform the eqivalent brushed motor a brushless will. Maybe not in speed, but in flight time yes. Although, you're gonna be hard pressed to find a brushless motor that won't make a plane fly faster than it will with a speed 400 on the same battery pack.

EDit, i forgot to mention that when I went brushless the li-po batteries scared me, so i used my stock 8.4 volt nimh packs for a couple weeks before going li-po. Was still way faster.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey All

A picture is worth a 1,00 words.

So out of appreciation for the Badius Boys, I'll be putting on a Show JUST FOR U GUYS.

The Show will be LIVE Dec 23, 9 PM to Midnight, BUT I will record the show and keep it running till Monday the 26 ( for those who want to hear the show but can't be there live).

Here is a sample (OPPSS I'll just PM the link) of what will be in those 3 hours

Brent ( waiting for Christmas day to arrive)

Name:	Bz78798.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	369076  
Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

doc, whats this show thing your talking about?

*edit*

Just decided to give another video hosting place a try, zippyvideos.com. Was going through some old vids and found this fromt the 80's. I didnt know they had planes back then [sm=confused.gif]. The audio is a hoot too, he's got some full length prank calls, perty funny. http://www.zippyvideos.com/465688098...ghtlanding.mpg
hope it works
Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok guys, here's the link to my first post of the bd-5 thread,, Omiewon, wish me luck.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36...tm.htm#3647077
Old 12-12-2005, 08:43 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Beav, LiPo's have nothing to do with brushless motors. LiPo's are a technological leap on their own! They simply carry more gas (volume of power) with less weight than NiMH or NiCd. For a while you would still need NiCd's when needing LOTS of amps. But, with the new generation LiPo's, you can pretty well get it with them if you can afford the pocked change.

LiPo and brushless just happen to arrive at about the same time and were made for each other, but not by design! You are getting lighter motors that can handle lots more power more efficiently and lighter batteries that give more power. Together, they are amazing! You can just as easily use LiPo with brushed motors and NiMH with brushless motors and gain ground in the process.

Also, with LiPo friendly ESC's you don't have to monitor the battery. It will shut down when it is time. You only have a problem if you try using ESC's that are not made for LiPo's. If not watching, you stand the chance of over discharging.

Blisters, the Moth seemed to be flying just fine. Flew inverted great! I just did not get the chance to really test it out and run it through the mill! I have it all back together with very little epoxy, plus, it had no fuse damage to warp anything. Where the upper wing came apart was a weak spot in the design. Now I am waiting for the wind to die again![>:]
Old 12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guy's, I know we have been through all this before but it's almost that time time for me to go brushless, I have 2 planes now that I want to convert to brushless, the Cub and the E-Starter. I had to change the servo arm on the Starter because I had the one for flat foamy's on it, it would move to almost 90 deg at full throw. man was it touchy today. I flew it again this afternoon after work, the wind had died down almost completly, I have got to get bigger ma batts, 3 to 6 min flights just don't get it. fun little plane though. pulled a tight loop from level flight, tryed to roll it but that wasn't happening. I found out later that I had the smaller of the 2 props that come with the kit on it, so I put the bigger one on and I'll see how that does. Flying ailerons is different but I like it, I like the way it banks and just holds it for so long before you have to trim up or bring it back level
Brent looks like Santa has visited you
about the show I tried last time and couldn't get it to work [] but I'm gonna try again
Old 12-12-2005, 09:01 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hazy,

Also remember it's NOT one for Lou and five for you. Glad to have you both back

Hollywood, I was getting worried that the package got lost or fell off Santa's sleigh.
I guess it was the snow that held it up. Glad it got there and I see you are going to wait till X-Mas to open it, Good Boy

I can't wait for the show.

I have to tell you about my experience at the Club field today. I took my Cub there today, to have a real nice guy take a look at it and to run her up to break in the engine.
While I was waiting for this NICE guy to finish what he was doing, I was enjoying some of the flying. I noticed two guys with this Giant Cub that they had just finished flying and were cleaning up, so I went over and started to chat with them about their Cub and my little baby one. I was asking question like aileron differential and a short moment fuse, but the reaction I was getting from them was not a polite one. I kinda decided that they were both A-holes and walked away in the middle of a sentence. I think they got the idea and when they were done, they saw me standing at the fence and started to be a bit more friendly. I talked with them but in a bit of a cold manner. These guys were so full of themselves it wasn't funny.
I was already contemplating shooting them down at some time, just for the fun of it.
I won't go into all the details, but this is what gives clubs a bad name. Most all the guys in my club are very nice and helpful, but this one, no two A-holes really pissed me off, and I don't get mad, I get even. They don't know how lucky they are that they came around a bit.
Planes do crash for unknown reasons.
Ok, I feel better now

Oh, I almost forgot, I couldn't run the engine as apparently I mounted the tank upside down.
I have to remove some stuff to get at it, so I will do that and add a fuel filer tap on the tank and then just run it at home.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood. As for the link? [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Roger

I have 3 hours of that stuff
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all,
Thanks for the thoughts. Hazy is out celebrating the 5 to 1 victory in the personality vote. I think he's the one that drugged me. So Brent. When are you opening the box?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:59 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lou, We all miss your posts!

I've been posting here on RCU for 8 months now. Some of the most entertaining Bull***** I have every read has been provided by you and Hazy. Your great humor and timing is always enjoyed by all of us. You are one of the Best at it too!! So, whenever you are able to let it roll... please do!!! In the mean time, just sit back and hang here with your Buds when you can! We like it that way!

Hey now go get Elaine and sit her under some Mistletoe and have a Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All, I haven't posted much lately, it has been kinda busy here on the home front... (enjoying all the posts anyway)

Sticks, I agree with Doc, in that your TM seemed to fly nice. I’m very surprised that the nose in prang didn’t cause much more damage than it did.
AJ,
I just picked up a GWS, ESC for a brushed motor for $12.00 and it is Lipo Friendly. I put it on my Slow Stick and use my 2 cell Lipo with a brushed 350 motor. The 480Li is a decent buy too! I think they were just released.. http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/gws...sc_4663569.htm
Also, Great flight report on the E Starter!

Pappy, They do let *****s fly too! But this you already knew!!!

GG, That Tiger Shark looks to be a major building project. 700 watts & 354 Pages, WOW! I’m curious, have you ever previously build anything (D/F or others) close to this? I can’t wait to see how you do with this plane!! Good Luck!

Ice, I like the Video….Thanks!

Hey Doc, Can’t wait for the show!! Thanks. ( Can you PM me the Link, Please!!!!!) BTW, This line of yours,
By inner moron NEVER allows me to turn the power back on during a dead stick landing.
Great Advice!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well after three hours of paitiently slicing off paper thin sections & a few thick ones, of foam, i have ended up with this for the fuselage of my bd-5. I'm beat now, shoulder hurts, wrist hurts from the feather sanding, neck is stiff,, but it feels good too,,, so,, eh,, shower & bed time for me

Name:	Tr51258.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	369243  

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service