Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Brent,
Don't forget me.
And what, did you spend so much on birds this year you had to decorate the Ficus tree?HEE HEE

Carl,
Old balsa builder, so it's not too bad.
Just that for an ARF there is a lot of work involved, and a lot of not included pieces to buy and/or make. 2 days and I have the wings, antenna tube and battery leads installed.[&:]

But I may have come up with something. Since the Jets use a bungee launch system to get airborne, I figured why not try it out on the wheeless Park Flyers.
I'm sacrificing a stock PZ Mustang to the bungee gods this weekend. I'll try and get some shots, and post results. Worse comes to worse, it'll be funny.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 AM
AJ1202

Brent, don't forget me either
Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 AM
afineman

Hazy

Pappy said I can't open it till Xmas

GG

The wife decorates EVERYTHING, if I sat long enough, I would get lights wrapped around me, OOHH and you should have the sample PM.

Carl and Kent, U2 PM

IFly

Every once in a while I do an Internet show, and because of it's adult nature ( and your youth).

I'm SURE I would be breaking a whole host of laws by allow you to join, SORRY Dude.

Brent
Old 12-13-2005, 08:55 AM
AJ1202

Brent...[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] LMAO that was great
Old 12-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Loubud

Oh GG.
The sacrafices we must make. Aim that sucker my way. I'll have Hazy hang a net.

Thanks Carl.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:21 PM
AJ1202

OK guys I'm trying to help out someone but I don't quite have the answer, can I get a little help to pass on. here's what we have

Here is what I picked up at the hobby store:
- E-Starter (EM350 motor)
- Apogee 3S1P 830mah battery (plan on getting a higher rated battery when I can afford it)
- charger for 3 cell Li-Po
- ECS - Castle Creations Sprite-25 ( they are exchanging this for another ECS as they didn't know it doesn't have a cutoff for Li-Pos)
- Waiting for a Spektrum 6 channel radio to come in.

So after reading a lot of threads and getting a lot of build tips I am worried that the battery I have will be too strong for the 350 motor.

If I just run the motor at 1/2 speed will that be OK?
Or can I set the end point on the throttle through the radio to be 2/3? (That would be like a 2S 8.4v pack?)

If I can use the 3S 11.1v battery which prop should I use?
2 came with the kit, a 9070 and a 8060, if neither of these would be any good what can you suggest?

The question that I don't know how to answer is how to make the 3s lipo work and not fry the motor
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Aj,
Try metering it with both props, use the one with the least amp draw.
It will lessen the load on the motor and increase it's life.
Don't forget the water break in.
Even though a smaller prop will reduce the flight performance, bummping the voltage should even it right back up.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:02 PM
AJ1202

Thanks GG but I think you missed the problem or maybe I missed the answer
The setup I posted is not mine, it is what someone else has bought, the question is if you use a 3s lipo which I think is 11.1 V on a brushed 350 motor will it cook the motor if run at WOT, if so and I figured it would how or can it be controlled so that it won't
I'm trying to help a newby
Old 12-13-2005, 05:18 PM
iflyatcae

I finally got the badius up today, and with the altimeter. I hit 1000ft. sweet. But, i forgot to hit record on the thing, so I only got the max alt, not the whole time, oh well, maybe later...
Old 12-13-2005, 05:34 PM
ktaylor

AJ,
It can fry the motor. I fried a speed 400 on a 3 cell li-po pack. But that pack is also capable of 32 amps, and the motor was $5 so i didn't care. And I was also running a larger prop, so that little speed 400 was working easy to turn that motor with the 8.4 volt nimh pack, but when I fed it the 12.6 volts it tried to turn that smae big prop at a higher rpm ( the motor will turn a certian number of rpm's for each volt it gets) so it needed more amps to do so, more volts X more amps = higher watts. I got more power out of the motor (watts) but the motor has a certian percent effdiency, brushed motors only about 65% , the other 35% goes into heat. SO,, that means with the higher power I had a higher heat output, so it cooked the motor. Flew great for about 15 minutes though. NOW,, you can get away with it,, but you want the smaller prop, the 8060, possibly even smaller than that. I don't know what the motor you have is rated at kv (rpm per volt), so you might want to get some other ones, 7050, 6040, etc. start with the smallest & see how things go. Try to stay away from full throttle until you have an idea of how hot the motor is getting. hope that helps.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 PM
CaptainRandy

Hey Dougy,

I got the motors today. THANKS so much for sending them. These are supposed to be rated for 3S lipos, correct ?????
I hope to use them in my Skimmer with my 3S, but if you tink I should use an 8 cell NIMH, I will. I am using a Graupner 6 X 3 folder.

Hollywood, If you want to open the package early, you have my ok, just make sure we get the video.

My father in law was just put in the Hospice house, so things are going down hill fast. We don't know how much longer he has. It won't be a joyful Christmas around here for sure.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

hey Captain Randy, sorry to hear about your father, hope things don't get too bad for him and you. about the motors, i don't know if they are rated for 3 cell lipos, maybe you can find out from ultrafly's site. they come off a pilatus pc-9 and an su 27.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:45 PM
AJ1202

Captain, sorry to hear about your Father in Law

GG and Ken, thanks guys I got it and passed it on, maybe it will help. I told him with everything he's putting into this plane he should go ahead and go brushless and remove the headache up front.

RayRay, hows the Hawk coming, anxious to here about it, I miss it

Sundance, how could you even see it at that height, man I loose perspective of them after about 300ft
Old 12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
CaptainRandy

Thanks Doug, I will check out the site and also test them with the ampmeter with my 6 X 3

It is my Father-In Law, my dad passed 10 years ago and I am currently waiting for his ashes to be spread at sea. I sent his ashes to the Navy base in Jacksonville Florida and he is supposed to go out this month aboard the U.S.S. John F Kennedy. Final closure for us.

The Navy does a great job for the Veterans, they even send a video of the ceremony.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:56 PM
iflyatcae

AJ, it was pretty tuff, but I managed. I lost it once because the whole appeared, to me, to be in a shadow, and was much darker, and blended with the sky. the altimeter said 994, so thats perty sweet.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:51 PM
ktaylor

AJ, he doesn't have to go brushless, but he just has to be careful with the 3 cell li-po pack for a brushed motor. He could very easily use a 2 cell pack and have the same voltage as a 7 cell nimh or nicad pack., he'd just have double the run time for the same amount of weight, power would be the same though. And he wouldn't have to worry about burning up his motor.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:57 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Captain, I to am sorry to hear about your Father in Law. God Bless you and your Family!

Sundance, can you post a photo of your altimeter, or is there a website I can check it out on? Congrat on 994![sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

AJ, & Ken. GG is right! You both need to be getting a watt meter. Then you can get the real facts in front of you… then you can make better guesses!!

AJ, for your friend to go brushless after that purchase He would need a motor and a brushless ESC! For the short haul I think the cheapest mod would be to get a 7volt S400 brushed motor. Can you tell if his 350 is 6v or 7v? I think both are available. Oh yeah, Put a heat sink on it and make sure to get the heat out of the fuse too!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
ktaylor

hey guys,,

Anyone need servo's? Serov city has a x-mas sale goin on, 20% off, get some hs-55's for $13 & change. Actually, all the hitec servo's are on sale,,, looks like i ordered mine a couple weeks too soon.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-55_sub-micro.html
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM
AJ1202

Ken, I suggested a 2s lipo but he said he already had the 3s and charger and didn't want to buy another batt, I did tell him he could stay with brushed motor, and just be carefull of throttle
Carl I think the ESC he's getting is compatible, I know it's good for lipo
anyway I was trying to help him out, and it was a little over my head
I think I will invest in a watt meter, especialy when I start using brushless
Old 12-13-2005, 08:14 PM
carlf

Blisters, Thanks for the Servo tip...That is just what I needing for my SD Cub ailerons.
Now I want a 5 channel RX with range! Hitec 555 is what I headed towards

AJ, The ESC my be compatible with 2 battery types but it can not do both brushed and brushless motors!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:32 PM
AJ1202

OH, I didn't realize that. Boy I still have a lot to learn []
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM
afineman

Pappy

Sorry to hear about your father in-law, I hope it's peaceful.

Now for something Completely different

YOU!!!! BAS$%#DS Hee Hee Hee

Now that Xmas gift really caught me off guard (I actually was expecting the $.02).

All

I can not describe what your gift means to me, I feel really touched ( not in the same way RR touches me), But in a way that is hard to explain.

At first I thought of donating it to the Salvation Army in the Badius Boys name, but decided not to. Then I thought of being a Servo Santa, etc, etc, etc.

I quickly decided to do with this that you guys intended, BUT there is a catch.

You have to collectively tell me what plane you want me to get, you can select a plane equal to the gift and if needed I will spend up to 3X to outfit it. It has to be an ARF.

Each principal will select a name of that special someone/thing so those names can be added to the plane, and a photo ( a photo would be nice BUT a name is required).

Ha and if you think this gift is going to get me to back off you guys during the Xmas show, DO I HAVE NEWS for U, and OOHH my buddy The Captain Randy (West) Smith . Just paint the bulls eye on now Hee Hee Hee.

But in all seriousness, Thank You, I don't deserve it, but I will accept it with great honor.

Here is the opening video http://users.adelphia.net/~afineman/BBXmas.wmv

and of course a picture ( I bet the Mrs. West had something to do with this).

The Humbled Hollywood
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97801.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	369724  
Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 PM
carlf

AJ,

A Brushed motor has 2 wires going to the ESC and a Brushless motor has 3.

This is why I've been bummed. I got by cub rigged up for an AP flight over 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to take it out yet [>:]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91668.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	369739  
Old 12-13-2005, 09:05 PM
AJ1202

Carl, don't they make them things any smaller

Hollywood, you deserved it IMHO
Old 12-13-2005, 09:32 PM
AJ1202

OK wait a minute, now i'm POed
Hollywood how can you sit there and accept that gift and not feel bad. I mean it's the thought of giving that makes u feel good, I thought for sure after receiving your gift you would have broke down and told us the truth..................

You know what I'm talking about........................

Everyone already knows...............................

you can't hide something like that from your freinds.....................

I know your probably embarrased...................................

but it will make you feel better to admit it..........................

I know you think we didn't know......................

but it's time to grow a pair and be a Man .......................

Everyone is talking about it................................

That Video.... you know the one..........................

The one with the house.....................

you know the house with all the lights

It's your house isn't it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.