Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hey Terry,

You already voted, but you can change your mind. Don't forget this is a Florida Sate run vote.

Like the kid in the commercial says " You can do what ever you want"

After this election/vote, I am going to retire like the Florida supervisor of elections did.

Louie Louie, Nice looking glider, hope is is better built than the Omei. I also like the Pelikan "Highlander" from Hobby Lobby $159

Come on guys, you know who you are. Lets get the votes in, or are you going to wait till Jan 1
You are like a bunch of old women, can't make a decision.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Blisters. I have the build page. Saved it a few months ago. The Axi they reccomend is a bit bigger than my Mean Mutha MP Jet so it looks like no verticle for me this time.
Hey Glassman. On that web site you posted there is an older Scorpio Aquila Speed. They had been making this plane for quite a while. The video didn't show flaps or spoilers. Might have been pilot choice or not available on this version. Diggity might get wood.
Capt. Lets pretend you're in Chicago and I'll vote early and often.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:58 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brent was saying that someone was asking about the landing gear that I put on the stryker here are some pixs that I took of the plane. This plane has been beat up a lot as you can see from the pixs. I have run this plane into a curb at wot broke the nose right off riped the landing gear off put the batteries back in and flew it with no problems. I am not good at explaining these things but you should get the idea from the pixes. The main thing I will say is that the front wheel has to make the nose higher than the rear or it will not take off although once you kill the power it will jump off the ground which causes some scary moments. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84241.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	373386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67064.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	373387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94669.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	373388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55696.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	373389  
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM
icejay55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the pics they are going to help alot wtih my boys build now i have to go with the twins to get a set of wheels for there strykers
Old 12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IceJay

Howard is NOT much on details[>:] but!

The nose MUST be higher than the tail (or it won't take off), if you have seen the various videos of Howard's Stryker, you will see this.

I will also say, where Howard's thrust line is even lower mine, his Stryker (once balanced) flies even better than mine does.

The lower thrust line coupled with the Motormax 400 XT, make this thing fly the BA!!S

OOHH and Howard Glassed the top and bottom of the fuse between the stabilizers ( think of a square piece of glass), because he did this, he was able to use wire ties to hold the LG on ( also having a stick epoxy ed the length of the fuse helps too)

Old 12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man after reading the post then looking at the pics I don't know whether to say sorry about the crash or good deal on the flight [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-20-2005, 10:22 PM
icejay55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey guys how can figure out the rpms or on this motor 380 Brushless Motor Kv: 3100 the lady i deal with at the hs gave it to the twins as a xmas gift it fits perfect on the stock motor mount I was not with the twins when they got the motor my fiance was with them getting there landing gears and parts.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IJ, what hobby store is that ? I wanna go there. OK, kv 3100, it depends upon the battery pack you are running, if you're running a 8.4 nimh pack you will get 3100 x 8.4 26040 rpms. But that is theretical. with the prop on it's gonna be lower than that. How to find the actual prop rpm,,, ummmmm, ask brent. We gave him that x-mas check for a reason, to pay for the next two years worth of questions, even questions that we've already asked him twice ( yep i've done that, asked him the same question three times, and he answered all three times. Lucky me his brain is sullied with beer & can't remember the fact that i already asked him. ) Ain't that right Brent? Brent's reply "Huh? what?"
Old 12-20-2005, 11:56 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

#$)%

Someone talking to me, hold on let me get a fresh one, BRB.

OOHH OK , Dam now I have to pee, BRB.

What was the question? OOHH RPM

I J I could give you a dozen ways to measure RPM ( from placing the prop in front of the TV screen and counting the transitions to using the fan on your running car ( with a tach) to measure the RPM, I won't even talk about using an oscilloscope to measure current peaks Hee Hee Hee). I will say, a tach is cheap enough, if you REALLY need to know the RPM then get a RC tach.

In the LONG run (as I realised), Knowing how to measure RPM ( using non conventional methods) has NO value in the field (who bring an oscilloscope to a flying field anyways, WELL I do, and I also have an inverter, BUT how would that help you, it won't). if you want to measure RPM then go get a tach for RC use ( $24 to about $100(depends on the bells and whistles)), in the LONG run it is the best way ( even though I have used sound to measure RPM too )

I J All the methods I refer to DO work, BUT they are not for the lite hearted ( unless you have a serious Electronic back ground), SO I would suggest you get an RC type tach OR just GUESS. Hee Hee Hee

All

NOW here is a POST of NO value Hee Hee Hee

Sorry for the lack of help

Brent

Pappy, SEE I told You
Old 12-21-2005, 02:50 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I knew that was coming after that post!

The twins work on the video was super. However, there is a great crevasse of generations with the music!

I'm out of here![8D]
Old 12-21-2005, 07:03 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Blisters, you misunderstand. The gift was for past, unselfish, "how can I help you", "you don't owe me anything" attitude that was always forthcoming from Hollywood! It was a "you've paid your dues, step back, let someone else answer all the questions and give away stuff from now on!" gratuity! There are pages and pages of his info back there. It's "cash on the barrel" from here on!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, those answers sounded like something from your local politician. Whole lotta words and nothing said. LOL
Ice, Kv rating is the rpms per volt on your motor. So on yours it's 3100 rpms per volt, no load.

Now to figure out the loaded RPM's you do this. Install your prop, hook up the battery, and go WOT. Stick your finger in the prop and count how many times it gets hit in 10 seconds, 5 seconds if you are a wussey. Now multiply the number of hits times 6, after you bandage up your finger, or get back from the emergency room, and you have your rpms.
Tach, we don't need no sticking tach.

Note: Don't try this at home, or if you do find someone else to stick their finger in the prop for you.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 AM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GG, you're nucking Futs, that's not the right way. You gotta grab your cat, then stick the little bass-turds tail in the prop, count the number of howls in 10 minute period, then divide that by ten, gives you the rpm. I have tail less cats running around here, next new motor I'll hafta borrow the neighbors cat.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 AM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood and all,

If I remember correctly and I don't ever. I had explained the Angle of the Dangle Theory way back when Badius Land was discovered. You guys just forgot, again Hazey remembered

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BULLSH*T
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 AM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken, I have three cats and I have tried that.

This is what happens!

Name:	Yw68598.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	373584  
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 AM
icejay55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good ideaq i guess i am going to use my neighbors cat or there little taco bell dog that is driving me [sm=bananahead.gif] crazy with its barking

hey has anybody hear from rayray i think wife locked him out of the basement or he is in hibernation mode with his mega motor.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Ice, When you find Rabbid, have him find Diggity.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:45 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all, well I went out to fly today and took my son to get some vid, only got a little of the A-10 and it's little mishap. As soon as I get my account set up on Putfile I'll post it. Now onto the happenings, I learned 2 things today, one Don't fly near or around football goal post as they are made of magnets while circling the cub for a landing I had come around to land and thought I cleared everything untill thuuungg, I hit the goal post with the edge of the nose and sqared the right wing, luckily I was running no throttle and was using the wind to float it in, only damage, big dent in the wing and broken prop. The E-Starter was glitching sooo bad I couldn't fly it. Every time I would put it up it would get about 100 yds away and just start glitching, motor shutting off, limited controls and all. Needless to say after a couple attempts at this I put it away. The A-10 was doing the same thing it did last time, it would launch great and start off then begin decending untill I would have to land it, after 2 try's I told Jeremy to just film from the launch and what ever happens, happens, well The wind interviened at the launch and despite using full right aileron to try to counter, well lets just wait for the Vid
I'm going to get back to finnishing the little Fokker, fix the A-10 again and the wing on the Cub and try to go out again Friday, or maybe tomorrow
Old 12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AJ,,

with your e-starter glitching, check the antenna wire on your reciever. It may be loose, or the circuit board might have a small crack in it around the antenna. That's what it sounds like to me.

Ice, OK, i'm all for the taco bell dog, forget the cat, yo quiero muerto perro. Hate those little dogs, worthless shivering bald rats with big ears. Don't just stop at the tail.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM
AJ1202

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks GG I'll check that, the weird thing is it wasn't doing it before, It might have glitched once or twice but nothing like today. I have not crashed it so I shouldn't have pulled anything loose
I did wrap some aluminum foil around the ESC to RX wire to try to rid it of the tiny glitches, maybe that's what did it. I did that to the Cub too and it flew fine, only a couple tiny glitches or surges. Man this glitching thing is driving me nuts. Oh well back to work on the little Fokker
Almost done , Lots of problems with this build, warped this, twisted that, what can you expect for 15.00 right. When I first put the tail on everything looked good, later I installed the landing gear and for the first time could see it sitting off the table and level and the right side of the tail was about to touch while the left side was sticking up [:@] had to cut it loose and shim it out, I have had something on the wing for a day now because one end and tip look like the tip of a elfs shoe, you know curled up . Bigger motor, bad idea, mod,mod,mod to get it to fit
But all is well, it's coming together slowly. Well back to it I want to fly it tomorrow
Old 12-21-2005, 10:37 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey All

GEEZE, I finally get Carl to take my anorexic AB ( man did she make a horrible noise after dinner), thinking I would no longer have to put up with that problem.

Well I get home from work today, my wife meets me at the door, and says " Honey, the new girl must of found Mary's diary", I said "So", then my wife took me upstairs.

To my HORROR I find I have another Mary Kate with a little Michale Jackson sprinkled in.

Not only did she lose 5 oz in 1 BIG Purge, she also cut off those cute little canards of hers.

I know this is wrong, but she does look good, I was even thinking of planking her with wood ( of course only in the tail section).

Later All Hee Hee Hee

Brent

Name:	Db84050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	373943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21729.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	373944  
Old 12-21-2005, 10:48 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hollywood, Some say you are a sick man...now we know for sure!!!! Hee Hee Hee.

It just flat out hurts to look at that plane knowing how much work you put into it!!

Wow, that is a cliff hanger.... gotta stay tunned for whatever could be next......
Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

finished the 1.6m (62") easy oriole glider. only epoxying was the wing halfs, the rest basically putting the electrics in. a bit fragile, should be a great glider as long as it doesn't crash. full house controls including rudder, it uses 3 hitec hs322 standard servos. the third servo fits infront of the other 2 and required a control arm bent over the other servos, but works great. using an axi 2812 motor, just waiting on some 40 amp escs coming via Brent to finish it off, and balancing of course. can't wait to fly her. next project, the mini katana wooden 3d plane. i'm probably going to use the big hyperion outrunner motor i've got on this as it won't fit anything else and the nose is big in this plane, like a glow plane.

Name:	Zw69376.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	373970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78132.jpg
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	373971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97193.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	373972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26500.jpg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	373973  
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doug, I like the looks of that Katana. It gets pretty bad when you have to buy a plane to go with a spare motor you have that just won't fit anything else. But I like your thinking.

Brent,............................................ .................................................. ................................... ?

OK, so the bd-5 is ready to fly. Not Painted yet, but it is ready for it's first flight, and what do they say for tomorrow,,, one of the warmer days we've had, 27 degrees, ( farenhiet Doug) and sunny, and son of a B*&&*%^*&tch, 11 - 12 mph winds. OK, ,, i've flown the badius in that kind of wind before,,,,,,,, but that's the badius,, badius, take a lickin keeps on tickin,,, how about I take it to work with me, and if the wind has died down by the time I get off work, I Might give it a toss. Good chance of not trashing it since I haven't painted it yet. Once it looks pretty, then it will get a nice crash, that's nature of things, cars only get dents when they're new or in a demo derby, the siding on your house will only blow off in a wind storm when it's new, your blow up doll will only pop and fly out the window when ,,, oh,, too much info again, right?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,

ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy
Hollywood and all,

If I remember correctly and I don't ever. I had explained the Angle of the Dangle Theory way back when Badius Land was discovered. You guys just forgot, again Hazey remembered

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BULLSH*T
Captain, I had to dig up the Angle of the Dangle Theory.
Here ya go!
ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy
Hey Carl,

Nice looking job on the walls. Sorry you followed my suggestion for the bands and it didn't work out for you. I have had mine in place for over a year now and no problems. I was going to glue in small pieces of ply, just where the dowels go through to prevent the very thing you were talking about, but never did. What you did will work just fine.

Another reason I have had luck is that I used #64 rubber bands prestretched to no more than 6in lbs per square centimeter divided by the 4 bands and then mutiplied by the angle of the dangle where the four bands cross over the top of the wing. This will exert a force no more than half the compression factor of the foam in the wing thus allowing the wing to give when landing harder than normal, but not to move no more than .00352% while in flight.

Oh yea, another reason it worked for me, was as Lou said.........Just kidding

We are all very happy you are having sucess with you Badius. It was and still is a great little plane for all of us. It's fun to see others having fun with it.
ORIGINAL: carlf
Pappy no apologies…. Your method is a good one, I was just being cheap by grabbing some rubber bands from the mail room at work. They were way to strong !!! After applying your calculation to determine the retention factor (in percentage) for the elastics I used, I thought I had the angle set just right. When I asked wifey about the angle I got she said “it is not the angle but the dangle that matters….” [sm=tired.gif]

Doug, I like both of those two projects you are into now. They should be fun to fly when you get a break in the weather.

Blisters, You will be fine when you get your flying fix! Hang in there!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service