Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 05:32 PM
bleary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hey Glacier and the rest of the Badius Boys,great job! I am sure that cheque will help out greatly in hard times.What you guys are doing with the planes/presentation box/certificates etc is behove and beyond.I dips me lid to ya's.
Cheers,
Bleary.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM
ktaylor

GG, Thank you.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
ktaylor

SHelldude, I see you're reading. Nice to see you're still around. Post something let us know what you've been up to.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
iflyatcae

Brent, what cam are you flying with? I want something clear like that, mine sucks.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:50 PM
customairmodels

Dear Badius Owners Club:

I am the owner of www.customairmodels.com and found your link through my control panel log. Browsing through your posts it looks like that you have lost a close flying buddy and would like to have a model of his plane built to commemorate his achievements.

First of all please accept my condolences.

I would be willing to build the Grumman Agcat in 1/25 scale (desktop size) with all the details like wire riggings, steps, antennas etc. attached. Photos of the actual plane would be needed in order to reproduce a faithful replica.

Price for 1 model. 3-4 weeks completion time and photo reviews before we ship the model: $119 plus $20sh.
Price for 2nd similar model discounted $20 plus shipping.
Price for atleast 12 similar models $89 shipped (to one location)

If you have any design for the base. I can paint it according to your specifications for free. Please look at our website for special base designs.

Please note we are the factory for wood models being sold on the net. I am actually surprised at the quote of one company for the same model. We manufacture most of planes being sold by prominent model companies and they contract us for their model requirements.

Again, thank you for this opportunity to introduce my company and I commiserate with your loss.

Best regards.
Rick Diaz
www.customairmodels.com
[email protected]
Old 03-26-2006, 02:19 AM
ktaylor

ok, it's 1:30 in the morning and the formosa 2 is ready to fly tomorrow morning. I hope. It's in it's basic white skin right now. If it survives the maiden, it will get some color. Motor, b20 brushless I won from ebay, a whopping $4 plus $10 in shipping from hong kong. It has a kv of 6680 , 15 amp continous max, running through a 4.42 gear ratio, gear box also acts as heat sink for the motor. Prop, gws 3 blade 9x7 cut down to 6.5 x 7. I ended up with those props & am trying to figure out what to do with them. They work good once I chop them down a little. ESC, basic balsapro 30 amp esc. Going to try it with a 2 cell 2200 lipo first, then if it is manageable & I feel cocky, I'll switch to a 3 cell. On a 2 cell it has plenty of thrust, on a 3 cell it will definately be able to climb at a really steep angle. Torque doesnt seem to be too bad. I had to make a modification to the tailwheel hinge/rudder design. It was pretty sloppy no matter what I did so I just got rid if it's ability to be a little springy, sticks almost straight down now. The battery compartment,,, well, I ended up moving the holes for the velcro straps & am planning on flying with the cover off, the battery won't get any air otherwise, and there isn't enough room for a 2100 3 cell. I had to use the full chunk of modelers clay inside of the nosecone to get the c.g. All in all, pretty cool kit. The rudder scares me a little, but I need to learn how to use it if I'm going to fly either of my other two planes. Maybe I should set the badius up with stock tx & rx then fly it since the rudder is on the left stick on that.... hmm a thought. Anyhow, off to bed. Liz is gonna wake me & come for the maiden flight tomorrow when she gets home in 5 1/2 hours. So I need my sleep. Oh, I also took a couple pics. 1 basic planes,, 2 trying to show the little 20 mm inrunner motor w/ gearbox ( smaller in size than a brushed speed 300 or 280, I think it can use the same gear box as a 150) last pic, the 4 mm danish birch plywood firewall that I added to hopefully keep the foam behind it from distintegrating when I do eventually crash it. I know I will crash it at some point, I crash everything I fly, even if it's a little boo-boo crash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32822.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	433230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59458.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	433231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15385.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	433232  
Old 03-26-2006, 02:47 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

looks good Ken. interested to find out how it flys as i've got one to build also. good luck with the maiden !!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

well it rained all afternoon and my wife had to go to a funeral, so no plane flying. however, just before it got dark, although cold, there was no wind, so i could fly the blade cx outside the house. when i fly it in the bedroom, due to the small space i normally practice hovering, but i want to learn directional control and outside is obviously better. i'm really happy with this heli. it's really stable and perfect to learn on, just what i wanted in the first place, the only thing is it's so light and small, the slightest breeze takes it away. anyway, it's going to take me a while to get familiar with things like head on flying, but i keep it low and slow and just go at my own pace. i'm definately going to get the blade cp i think, but not until i've mastered the cx. when i think how frustrating the aerohawk was, always breaking something and getting no flight time.

i was really suprised that Roger's fund was so much money, i thought not much over 1k as we are actually quite few, so i think we can assume Roger would be really pleased about that. if anyone's interested in the agcat model the guy posted about, i think that's a really good deal so any thoughts on that please post them.

if it's good weather tomorrow, i'm off flying. and also tuesday is my first official ultralight lesson, but i expect it will rain or be windy. i can only go when my wife is off as they don't like the wind and the best time is about 7.30 am. still cold tho, you can bet i'll put my long johns on !! hope i remember my gloves this time !!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
AJ1202

Ken, the Formosa looks good, I hope it flys good but I'm sure it will
I finnished my F-15, I have a question to anyone that can help, it's about the exhaust size for the ducted fans, the area leading into the fans is considerably more than designed like in the A-10 and the area to the point of exit is as well, I made the exit size as close to the same but rectangular rather than round, my question is with the added amount of room from entry to exhaust how does that efffect the thrust, my only breif experience with EDF was the A-10
I apoligize if the pics come out HUGE, AUW is 18 oz
EDIT: never mind they came out OK

Name:	Sp45080.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	433286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62345.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	433287  
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
ktaylor

AJ, you built that from scratch??????????? That looks friggin awesome. FOr ducted fans, I know little, but I know that inlet to discharge affects your speed. Smaller exhaust will increase speed, larger is for more thrust & slow flying. OK, I'm procrastinating, nervous about trying ground take off & having full house controls. SH*T OR GET OFF THE POT OK, see ya guys. 40 degrees, and a 4 mph wind.. ..... ok,, no excuses.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:18 AM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Hi All,

GG, thanks for your help on the Ronger's Fund. What a great help that will be to Paula You guys are Awsome!

Doug, Good luck to you on getting a break in the weather. I'd be going nuts by now!

Ken, the 2nd Formosa is looking good. I haven't had a chance to get back to finish mine yet and next weekend the company where I work is moving our office... I may try to work on it in the evenings during the week to get it together... Looking forward to you flight report!

AJ, Nice looking F-15. Sorry I know nothing about EDF!

Brent, Hope the damage to the Heli is not to bad. Enjoyed the video and the flight near the river came out good... Thanks again.

Gotta go, wifey got home from working an all nighter!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
AJ1202

Thanks Ken, yep it was from scratch, D/L the plans and started building

Brent, I too hope the damage is minimum, thats a nice heli. I'm still scared of them so I don't think I'll br trying one anytime soon

I'm going to try to maiden the F-15 today, got to get out there before the winds pick up, calling for 10 to 20 today but it's pretty calm right now, hmm, maybe I should go now, like Ken S.O.G.O.P
Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 AM
flashprash65

Anyone tried 11.1V lipos on the stock motor and esc????? My stock batteries are fading and i have 1.1V 1300 mah lipos i can use.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:17 AM
cadetman

Gentlemen

Dear Badius Owners Club:

I am the owner of www.customairmodels.com and found your link through my control panel log. Browsing through your posts it looks like that you have lost a close flying buddy and would like to have a model of his plane built to commemorate his achievements.

First of all please accept my condolences.

I would be willing to build the Grumman Agcat in 1/25 scale (desktop size) with all the details like wire riggings, steps, antennas etc. attached. Photos of the actual plane would be needed in order to reproduce a faithful replica.

Price for 1 model. 3-4 weeks completion time and photo reviews before we ship the model: $119 plus $20sh.
Price for 2nd similar model discounted $20 plus shipping.
Price for atleast 12 similar models $89 shipped (to one location)
this is a deal we can not let pass by !

i am fixed in my mission for the sale of Bae Hawks as a limited edition and i hope NyFlyer will do a set of U.S decals as per the U.S UltraFly vesion.. What Say NyFlyer?

i will match the highest donation for the Agcat in 1/25 scale

Ray
Old 03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
nyflyer56

Ok, Let me catch up here:

Cadetman, No problem on the decals, haven't seen the US version, but if someone has a pic or something all I need are dimensions. Lets Git-R-Done!

Flash.. Lipo's and stock motor on what?

Ken, good luck w/ Formosa. Don't worry much about flying 4 channel. Rudder will steer on ground, and once in the air you won't use it much (for now, will become more important as flying skills progress). Ailerons will bank the plane, just like Dihedral and a rudder did in 3 channel mode. Just more banking and probably a bit quicker.

Airbourne.. Good luck on the Ultralight lesson, should be fun! I recieved the motors you sent me from your Herc. I had almost forgotten they were coming. I'll have to go to Home Depot for some fan fold, then let my inner mad scientist out. By the way what is the reccomended Battery for the 4 motor setup, and how are they wired? series, parellel, some combo of the 2? what is needed for a speed control?

Aj Jet looks great, where did you get the plans from?

There, I think that covers everything!!

Oh yea, as for me, not much this weekend, a bit of hover practice w/ Blade CP in living room, and replaced my first set of blades, as they were getting pretty beat up! Just for fun, I stripped the covering on the old ones, glued up the cracks, and added wood where chunks were gone. sanded them out and covered with a scrap of vinyl. gotta balance them, and will see if they will work at all, just for fun . won't fly with them, just wanted to see if they could be fixed
Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Welcome Paula !!! It is GREAT to SEE the call sign AgCat1982 again!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:57 PM
nyflyer56

Brent, just got to look ad the video's you posted the other day. Very cool. the Drive in one had your plane going so slow, (or hovering into the wind?) That it almost looked like it was shot from a heli.
You also had one long shot focussed on the bridge that reminded me of those cam shots from the Cruise missles in Dessert storm. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 PM
cadetman

Ny
the only difference is white paint inside the Vac form and it will need a leading edge vinyl to cover the balsa leading edge,

i can print the stars and strips out on printable vinyl as a one off sheet or anyone else can do printable vinyl step up to the plate !

i can email the graphics i have in Word or JPG for resizing and printing in the U.S. to include in the Kit

i really am under pressure to get my bit done and any help anyone who can give to help to make this happen sooner will make a difference to the start of the sale date,

you may have an empty wallet but you could have time on your side and the resorces to help..

i can not do this alone !
if i had another 2 months i could make the kit perfect on my own.. but "We" really need to push this along,

this is not just me doing this now.. aswell as making this fly it has to Fly Sweet.. but it has to look good too!

bottom line chaps.. if we work together the sale could be on ebay by the weekend !

can i jst say.. that pic of the draft from the badius guys was a sight for sore eyes

Well Done Guys

i Salute You

Ray

Name:	Xv64248.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	433384  
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2006, 01:00 PM
ktaylor

Cadet, You're on. I'll put up $20 for the agcat model. And also, to give GG a break, I'll handle the funds if it's ok with you guys. My paypal is [email protected]

FLash, I never tried li-po with the stock esc, I had already removed them & replaces with better stuff by then. The motor can handle the voltage, but the problem is that it's really hard to keep the motor cool with it buried inside of the fuselage like it is. Running the higher voltage will give you a lot more performance, but, it can burn the motor out. ALSO, you really have to watch your flying time, the stock ESC has the voltage cut off set for a 7 cell nimh pack, which can destry your 3 cell li-po pack. Some of the other guys can give you better advice than I can with the stock stuff. I went through up grades & straight into brushless with in 1 1/2 months of getting my Badius.

OK, formosa maiden........ can anyone say sweet? dream machine? wet spot in my undies? It was friggin awesome. VERY VERY VERY stable, rock solid. Doug, in the instructions it doesn't mention the c.g point, i went with the leading edge of the channel that the carbon rod wits in, need to be maybe 1/4" ( 5 mm) forward of that for really stable. OK, so lets say I was really really nervous about this. I made one plane from scratch that cost me nothing & got it to take off from the ground & immediately flew it into a light pole, so I was pretty nervous about this. I get to my flying site that I had chosen because of the amount of smooth unused pavement, and the amount of space. When I show up, ( oh I'll add a picture of the field) there are two cop cars there, they're just sitting there chatting. I'm way too nervous about a new plane to try it out with spectators, so, I get out the trusty badius. Stuff in a 4000 mah 3 cell li-po & fly that for roughly 1/2 hour or more while I wait for the cops to get done chit chatting. They leave & I make this beautiful landing on the pavement, first time I ever tried that with the badius. I was going to try & catch the plane, but it did a little lift at the end that made it out of my reach, & then It skimmed over top of Liz's nice new Impala with 6 inches to spare, then hovered it's way to a short skid on the pavement. SO, I put a 2 cell 2200 mah batt in, and an un-modified gws 9x7 3 blade prop on it. I was meaning to just sort of do some taxi tests, try out my ground handleing ( doug, make sure that you set the wheel base out wider than I did mine, it can tip over pretty easy, also put packing tape on the wing tips for ground scuffing if you're using ashphalt or concrete to take off from) . SO, I'm tooling it around a little, getting it to where it can make a straight line, I give more throttle and its going pretty good & suddenly I realize the tail lifted & it's lifting off. ok, full throttle & away it goes. How did it fly,,,, hmm,, if you have a formosa 1 & know how it flies, this flies even better. Very very controlable. THe rudder didn't bother me in the air at all. Took a while before I tried it. It was a little like flying my dead formosa, only a much bigger plane. It won't be as easy to get as much speed out of this as the formosa 1, simply because of added surface area drag & the drag from the landing gear. Maybe later I'll give it a try wiht my 450f. Rolls were really responsive to the right & sluggish to the left, ( I couldn't figure that one out) Hammer head stalls are so easy with a rudder,, man,,, wow. Climb rate was pretty impressive. I'm pretty impressed with that tiny little motor/ gear box combo. Oh, the sound of that gear box & prop was awesome,, almost sounded like a real plane in the distance. Was easy to tell when the batt was dying , I could hear the gear drive slowing.
Landing,,, hee, hee,, can anyone say BOUNCY? I brought it in line it up pretty good, motor off though, I shoulda left it on part way. Stalled about 10 inches off the ground, boingo, boingo, boop. No damage. sweet!

Second flight, drop to the chopped down 3 blade prop & up to a 2100 3 cell. Take off,,,, well after about 15 feet of ground roll I could see the tail come up & I pulled back on the stick & off like a pocket rocket. Really fun flight,, getting a good feel for the controls, plane wasn't much faster, but some. Fun manuevers. So, if you look at the pic, there's a small road that runs parralel to the main 4 lane highway. I was standing there, going to try a touch & go so I could work on my approach,, well as I'm bring the plane past me, I failed to remember there is actually a stop sign there. It works really well too, stopped the plane in a heart beat. Broke the fuselage in half right where the wing mount bolts are, which is beacuse the wing is what hit the sign. I wanted to cry it looked so horrible. But as I gathered up the three pieces ( wing, tail end of fuse, & front end of fuse) I notice it is a clean break. PACKING TAPE!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, you really have to look to see the crack & it didn't affect the handling at all.. The wing where it hit the sign, the leading edge was mooshed in some, so I bridged the gap with tape & made a fake leading edge. Next take off was no problem, but the landing was. It bounced much higher & harde, off came a wheel. The gws wheel holder things are crappy. I'm going to epoxy them on this time, or use ca glue. Then after fixing the wheel, on take off, the other wheel comes off. OK, fine, fix that one too. Try a different prop, 7x7 master airscrew. Much better performance. faster, not as much thrust for climb as the 3 blade on the 2 cell, but good. I had it doing maybe 50 today at its fastest, maybe 40. around there. So, I'm charging batts now & eating mcdonalds. Going to fix the wheels better & add some color to the plane while the batts are charging.

Name:	Hf97673.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	433386  
Old 03-26-2006, 01:17 PM
nyflyer56

Ken,
Congrats on the Maiden! too bad about the stop sign, but at least it was fixable. I was excited to hear about how it flew because after seeng some videos of formosa on floats, I really want to look into a setup like that. Do you think the Formosa 2 or 1 would be a better bet? plan on using the GWS floats.

Phil
Old 03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
AgCat1982

Hello everyone, This is Paula, Roger's wife. I just wanted to tell everyone who knew Sticks that my children and I are so touched by you guys and all you are doing. There are no words to truly express our feelings. I talked with Lou Friday on the phone. This was the first time I had ever talked with him. He told me what all of you were working on and I am speechless and overcome with emotion to think that Roger will not be forgotten. He always said he felt as if he had no friends, but you guys have definitely proved him wrong. I can not say thank you enough for your thoughtfulness and your time. In honor of Roger I will continue to read your post and will keep his domain up. My email address is [email protected] if anyone needs it.

Thank you again for your friendship and support. I will try to go back to work next week if I can keep my mind clear. I have now lost my soul mate and this is going to be hard.

Paula
Old 03-26-2006, 01:27 PM
AgCat1982

I will try to keep it going in honor of Roger.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:30 PM
ktaylor

Phil, Thanks, I'd go with the formosa 2, it has a larger wing, more lift to get off the water with & carry the floats. It's also already has the rudder set-up that you'd want for water. Wouldn't need the tail wheel, but that huge rudder will come in nice when you're trying to turn around on the water. I think if mine survives past the 6 month no-plane purchase that Liz has me on, I'll probably convert it over to floats once I get my landing / take off thing under control & get my p-47 jug flying ( which is looking like it will be soon, in the next month) & then do the float thing. After that, it's on to getting big red up in the air. It's a fiberglass gasser that I bought in an auction, 54 inch wingspan, sweet looking plane,. I'm going to convert to electric with this motor that I already have http://www.balsapr.com/view.asp?id=V450327&pid=V284038

hey since Phil is hanging around & becoming a regular here,, he needs a nickname,, since his name is phil & he's from the northeast,, I'm thinking Groundhog, phuxitony phil,,,, ( how the fark do you spell that?????????????????????????????)
Old 03-26-2006, 01:32 PM
ktaylor

Paula,,, I'm speechless, which for me is unusual.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:37 PM
nyflyer56

Ken, anything but that!!!! Heard that one too much in my life. Besides Groundhog Phil is from Pa. I am from Syracuse, the snowy armpit of central NY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.