Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

AAHH. The truth comes out! I don't have swamps here but I do have wind. Half of my flying is trying to stay out of trouble. The only time I on't have problems is when I fly like you. Scared of crashing. Seems that as soon as I get aggressive I have trouble. I like to push the limit on the receiver range and fly over the one area that has server interference. As soon as that happens the Badius goes full speed in a nose dive. Same place every time. You'd think I'd stay away from there but I can't resist.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:23 PM
ShellDude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Lou, I got the RD6000 and love it.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Shell
The Shogun Heli I returned came with the Sport version of the RD6000 instead of the Super. Which one do you have?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Pilot Ray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Music Publisher,
I thought maybe the seller who had sold me my Thunderbird laishing plane was going to get more of those planes in, but he will not be getting any more of them at this time.
There is also one other place that might be getting them in soon. They were selling the first ones that I had ever seen on Ebay about 2 months ago. I had emailed them and they said that they were getting more of them. They said they would email me when the planes come in, but maybe they had forgotten or just have not received the planes yet. As you will see in the old Ebay link below, the plane went for a low price, but they apparently make their profit on the $35.00 shipping out of California. If you are interested in buying from them and really want one, you could try emailing them through their old Ebay ad like I did. You could find out if they are still getting them in soon, especially since they may be the only sellers getting them in soon. Here’s the link to their old Ebay auction ad;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...930220090&rd=1

I also was wondering if anyone has ever tried asking Raiden Tech if they would ever be carrying these planes. It would really be great if they would start carrying the Thunderbird Laishing plane. I can’t see why they wouldn’t if they knew about them since these planes are basically the newest generation of Accipiter Badius plane.

Thanks, Pilot Ray
Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey

this may be the AB replacement http://sd-model.netfirms.com/sd/3389packing.jpg

this was at SD's web sight

Later all
Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Captain, I just tested the brushless in the sabre fuse. Feels like it has good thrust. I am going to look for a methods of measuring thrust. The plans say that if you have problems with the motor after installing, you will have to cut a hatch to remove it. I am planning to have to remove the motor so I am building the hatch in as I go. I carefully cut it out and then covered the exposed areas with one layer of fiberglass. You can see in the photos. I have to make some mods just for the wire's of the brushless and I am making mods for connecting and sealing the hatch.

I skimmed all the messages, so, now I will go back and read them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36109.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	211139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97452.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	211140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60163.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	211141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34339.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	211142  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:35 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

iflyatcae, if you get the Motor Max Motors 400F and use a GWS gearbox for their s400 motors, at 3:1 ratio, and use 11.1v Li-Po's like I do, you will have almost 30oz of thrust! That little plane should take off like a rocket! You would probably have to idle to hover! From Balsa Products you can get the motor, esc, and gearbox for about $110. If you saw my video of the stearman, that's what is flying it!

[link=http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motors/OutrunnerMotors.asp]Balsa Products brushless[/link]
Old 01-05-2005, 09:38 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TerryE, they are true airfoils, as best as you can make raw foam into airfoil.

Troublecar24, what you need with the Slow Stick is a motor that can be put on a gearbox so as to swing a larger prop. The slow stick can't fly very fast without tearing the wings off! A larger, slower prop with a geared brushless motor will let you have lots of lift and even verticle flight.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for all,

I just looked at lightflightrc.com and dont know if you knew, but they are having a sale on the motor max 400t for 33.95. pretty cool.

thanks agcats. Im lookin right now at them.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
iflyatcae

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agcats,

Also, could you tell me which gearbox you use? Im looking and cant quite see which one you use. thanks. part numbers are good.

o yea, how do you mount the thing? and what prop? thanks again.

ryan
Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 PM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The "four horseman of the Apocolypse" are all here. Lets get started. [sm=punching.gif]
Old 01-05-2005, 10:52 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Roger,

Nice hatch job for removing the fan. I applied all the decals tonight, that's all.

At 9pm the UPS guys rang the bell with all my neat stuff for the Omei, can't wait to get started.

Your Sabre should be quick with a brushless. I hope mine at least flys as well as the Hawk, if so it will ne great.

Roger, Great idea on starting this new thread.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:15 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

iflyatcae, the gearbox that is part of the GWS EPS-400C system. If you go to the Balsa Products web page I provided the link for, they show the motor in the gearbox and provide an order area for the gear box parts. I use the 3:1 ratio.

Captain, I am not sure about my motor. That's why I made the hatch! I don't know if it's going to supply enough thrust with 11.1v Li-Po setup. It felt good, but, I can't tell with out flying or having a thrust measure instrument. I presume a set of scales that will weigh the amount needed and be able to zero it out with the plane suspended from it. Put power on the plane, pointed downward, and it should show the thrust. I guess getting the scales is the problem!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Pilot Ray

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi afineman,
That link must be showing Shunda’s new Accipiter Badius. I now wonder who is Laishing that is making the excellent Thunderbird Laishing plane. I have found some other new interesting Laishing planes on the internet when trying to find out who they are, but I have yet to find their company. The nice colored box (like the new Accipiter Badius plane box) that my Thunderbird Laishing plane came in only says Laishing or LS as identification and the manual says the same, and no email address or anything. I am curios to find out if the Laishing company is a division of Shunda or just a totally different company.

Thanks, Pilot Ray
Old 01-05-2005, 11:32 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

P-Ray

There has to be an FCC certification # some where on the tx, you can search the FCC data base for the company that # was assigned to, that may be a good starting place.

Let me know, if you need help, just give me the FCC cirt #

Brent
Old 01-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi all, glad we're on a dedicated thread. now i can tell you that my daughter cried for 3 hours this morning, i cooked steak for dinner and burnt everything and i had some beer and wine (due to baby stress) and didn,t solder the 3 connectrs on the esc for the brushless badius. i've got a rtf glow trainer to assemble this winter, a 280 epp racer and the 3d pigi, plus my big heli with the brushless, the eco 8. so far nothing done. as i rather unusually rained for 2 days, most of the snow is gone and i'm thinking of braving the cold to go flying tomorrow if it's ok. and that's the last flight of the stock badius for me. and who said this is off topic ??
Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sheesh. Glad you got that of your chest.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 AM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Doug,

It sounds like to have the next 6 months covered with all that stuff.
What kind of brushless setup did you decide on for the Badius. You may have already mentioned this on the old thread but I've been suffering from short term memory loss.

Captain - Hows that Omei coming along? Can't wait to hear about the maiden.

"No guts, no glory"

Windman
Old 01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi RayRay,

I just got most of the equipment last night, but I just figured out the Y harness I bought won't work, I have to get some servo extensions and then a shorter Y.

MM motor looks great and Great Planes prop looks like an improvement over stock one

Aileron servos were a perfect fit, but elevator servo looks a bit big, will fit but maybe I will get a smaller one to save weight.

I like the Kokam lipos.

It will bve a while before a maiden as I wnat to take my time and do it right, I hate to rush a good plane.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Diggidy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Randy,

What was wrong with the Y harness.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
CaptainRandy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It was one of those long y harnesses, good if you were building from scratch, but I would not be able to get it hooked up without cutting as you did. You would be able to maybe fish the whole y into one wing to hook up the connector, but then you couldn't get the other wing servo hooked up.

Did that make any sense?

If I just use a 12" extention to bring the wire out at the wing joint on each wing, then I can just use a standard short Y to the receiver, and no cutting of the wing skin.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
RayRay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Cap,

Whats a Y-harness used for again? Wow, look at you! Going for the lipos and all. Thats great
And Lou and myself thought you were a "stock" guy. Silly us.

I'm still anxiously awaiting for a phone call from Tony (Raiden) when the Omeis arrive.

Please keep us posted on your progress or anything I should be aware of when I attempt to build her.

Dan Diggity - how's your Omei doing? Saw the pic you posted a few weeks back. Makes the Badius look soooo tiny.

Thanks,
Ray Ray
ORIGINAL: CaptainRandy

Hi RayRay,

I just got most of the equipment last night, but I just figured out the Y harness I bought won't work, I have to get some servo extensions and then a shorter Y.

MM motor looks great and Great Planes prop looks like an improvement over stock one

Aileron servos were a perfect fit, but elevator servo looks a bit big, will fit but maybe I will get a smaller one to save weight.

I like the Kokam lipos.

It will bve a while before a maiden as I wnat to take my time and do it right, I hate to rush a good plane.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh Capt. What's the hold up on that Omei? Get with it so we can hear a story. You don't have to crash this plane to post.
I'm almost halfway done with the Heli. Now there will be a crash story.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:28 PM
ShellDude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya know, its only the sport. I got it off of eBay for pennies on the dollar so I was never too bothered by the model selection restrictions.

One of these days I'm going to get one of those newer setups that have the digitized bands... no big need at this point, but it'd sure make channel selection a breeze.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Shell,
I had the sport sent with the Shogun Heli. They advertised the Super which is a bit better for what I wanted. I'm tickled silly with the RD8000. Should be the last tx I buy for quite a while. I still have the VG6000. Good for everything but Heli's. The dual flaps is the best part. I don't know what I'll do with it for now. I think that when Roger gets close to building the Aerofly I'll send it to him for the flight trials. It's a good tx and he'll have fun with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service