Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Loubud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Doug,
Don't know why the email didn't work. Elaine will have to check it.
I saw that plane "Nemesis". Mean mutha. I think Northeast Sailplanes has it.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

now my goal is 200mph. i thought you had to get a jet turbine to do that sort of speed. bugger that. the plane had a hacker b40 motor which is 500 or 600 sized and used nimh i think. i'm going to get a 160 mph wing, it's in the post, but this year i'm going to get used to 80-110 speeds, which are the formosa, pc-9 and lightning 36" wing. but now i've seen this, i'm going to get the stinger which is a moderately fast plane and maybe the sundancer which is an f5 pylon racer. i was so suprised with the lightning that it was 100mph because the same motor in the badius was only 60 mph. i guess the badius wing is just too draggy. the f27 isn't too fast, but now i know the mega 16 25 3 can be run with a 6s pack (160mph) i'll start using the 4s pack soon. i already tried it at home and the motor ran ok. the main thing i need to do is get better at flying, i mean i don't want to spend $300 on a plane and crash it on the maiden. i have enough wooden and foam planes and i've been after speed for a while now, but after maidening the lightning, the picture is getting clearer. i can't wait to fly at the club on a sunday afternoon and **** their heads up with a fast electric !! off lookin for planes !!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 PM
ktaylor

Doug, here's a fast one, or at least a video of it

http://www.espritmodel.com/video/sunracerF5D.wmv

it's called a sunracer from esprit models
Old 04-09-2006, 02:24 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hi Ken, that's the one i ment (i put the wrong name). i can get it from aircraft in japan, the only thing is it's 30,000 yen or about $270, so i'll leave it for now. the nemesis is about 350 euros, which is about the same price, but that comes from belgium. another interesting plane is the simco left turn that hobby lobby and atlanta hobby sell, that's also $270. they mainly have very strong wings and re-enforced fuses. the nemesis must be reasonably big because that was the one with the hacker b40 motor, which is 5/600 sized. but anyway, i'm going to get the stinger for next year and i've got the demon 160 mph wing coming, also for next year. i think the stinger is a bit more forgiving and is cheaper. hobby lobby recommend a mega 16 15 2 with a tp 2s2p 4200 bat and i've got a 700 watt typhoon 2 turn motor.... http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1544 and i really like this one http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=152
Old 04-09-2006, 09:13 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Lou;

Nothing I would enjoy more

UNfortunately, I am just starting a new job, so have no vacation.

I am with you in spirit (an in cyberspace)

Terry

ORIGINAL: Loubud

Hi Terry,
The original Slipper flew better than any I have in the hanger and I want it back. This one is a bit larger so maybe I'll be able to see it once it a few yards away. I'l considering Brent colors to make sure. Later I'm going to break out the Vector that Doug was good enough to send me. Maybe I can make out the instructions this time around.
OOOOR. You could grab the family and come out here and help me.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:17 AM
nyflyer56

ORIGINAL: Airbourne in Japan

now my goal is 200mph. i thought you had to get a jet turbine to do that sort of speed. bugger that. the plane had a hacker b40 motor which is 500 or 600 sized and used nimh i think. i'm going to get a 160 mph wing, it's in the post, but this year i'm going to get used to 80-110 speeds, which are the formosa, pc-9 and lightning 36" wing. but now i've seen this, i'm going to get the stinger which is a moderately fast plane and maybe the sundancer which is an f5 pylon racer. i was so suprised with the lightning that it was 100mph because the same motor in the badius was only 60 mph. i guess the badius wing is just too draggy. the f27 isn't too fast, but now i know the mega 16 25 3 can be run with a 6s pack (160mph) i'll start using the 4s pack soon. i already tried it at home and the motor ran ok. the main thing i need to do is get better at flying, i mean i don't want to spend $300 on a plane and crash it on the maiden. i have enough wooden and foam planes and i've been after speed for a while now, but after maidening the lightning, the picture is getting clearer. i can't wait to fly at the club on a sunday afternoon and **** their heads up with a fast electric !! off lookin for planes !!

Turbines are fast, but believe it or not the fastest planes for many years were slope glider racers, which could easily exceed 200 mph. Only in the last oh say 10 years have turbines and some of the higher end gas/ nitro racers been over that speed.

My experience with mostly nitro planes has a speed breakdown about like this:
Trainers (.40) 40-65 mph
general sport aircraft 80-100+
quicke 500 Pylon Racer (spec classes, K&B.40, etc...) 90-120mph
quickie 500 Pylon Racer (mid class Rossi 40, Etc) 120-150
Quickie 500 racer (scary fast class! Nelon .40 , Dubb Jett .40, etc) 160-195 mph
Ducted fans 80-150 mph
Turbines 100-200+ mph
Giant scale unlimited Reno Racers 175-225 mph
Slope Racers (optimum conditions) 150- almost 250!
These slope racers are sleek and heavily ballasted, usually composite structure. I have seen videos, and when they have a structural failure, the wing doesn't fold, the whole plane seems to explode in mid air, really wild!

The averages above are very generic, and do not include any of the sport type need for speed over powered creations that sometimes pop up, but rather a general view of common stuff.

Didn't get home from my DJ gig until about 3:45 am (I rocked the place by the way ) so I'm beat today.
Was planning on a trip to the field today, but I have to go do a couple of minor repairs at 2 of our rental properties first. Might still get to go.

Almost forgot. got another flite with the Blade CP in the bar when I went to set up. had a good several minute long hover going on until a untill rotor motor failure set me down hard. The bushing at the front of the motor popped out causing the pinion to come away from the drive gear. instant tail failure (not good).
Guess I have to go to the LHS and pay another $9.99 for a damn 50 cent motor. Oh well, another sacrifice to the parts gods!

By the way has anyone seen the movie "The Fastest Indian" yet? I highly reccomend it if you get a chance to see it.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:26 AM
nyflyer56

Ken,
Damn that plane in the video was FAST!
I didn't mean to leave the fast electric stuff, (Racers, Hotliners, etc..) out of my last post, but I din't know their speed ranges, just that they are screamers!. Anybody know the fastest documented speed of an Electric aircraft so far? I'd be interested to know.
Phil
Old 04-09-2006, 12:12 PM
ktaylor

Phil, Dunno about top speed for an electric, but it's up there. I'd guess that Sunracer was doin 140-160. Hard to tell with video, the camera guy looked like he had a hard time keeping with it as it went by, so all I can say is FAST! Brent has had his Stryker up in the 100 range. Brad has had a stryker that was kickin 120 if I remember correctly. (but that could be like his cobra & p-38 & supermodel girlfriend ). I have seen an electric ducted fan on here that they say is capable of 225 mph. Pretty pricey, the motor/fan set-up is around $600 by itself. This one,, http://www.shredair.com/vector.html crazy.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Loubud

NY,
All those slopes are fast! The Aquila Speed I have is pretty quick also. It's made to withstand 140 MPH on a bungee launch. I don't know what the top speed of mine will be as I stuffed a motor in it. Darn shame I don't have a video of the Onei explosion. Disentigrated in mid air. I'm hoping the Aquila will withstand the abuse I give my planes.

General plane stuff.
The Slipper @ is almost ready for a flight. This is a free flight glider model I modified. First one is still lost.
SS#2 repair to the wing is complete. The wing folded when going full up from a high (?) speed dive. Hard to imagine that ever happening. The Aerofly is just waiting for weather, just like the rest of the planes. SS#1 is set up for Ariel movies. I'd like to fly from the farm to the beach and back. It's a 1/2 mile distance but that plane gets a bit tiny when far away and I do have a habit of getting disorientated at times. I'm going to point the camera straight ahead so if I get lost I might be able to fly by the video camera screen. I should test fly by video only but my inner moron limits all intelligence.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:55 PM
afineman

Hey All

Howard and i went flying ( 5 hours worth) didn't get much video.

In this video you'll see the Nextstar FLY, it does fly with the Typhoon motor

There was a range issue so he landed Then the ESC crapped out, so that was the 1 and only flight of the day with plane.

The rest of the video is me and Howard playing with the corona.
http://media.putfile.com/040906-85

In this video, Howard put his new cam on his Slow Stick, it didn't fly well and crashed in to my truck, BUT the funny part is at the end of the video, you can see a guy hiding behind my truck, as soon as Howard took off he dove.

POOR Howard, what a reputation he has now Hee Hee Hee
http://media.putfile.com/crash-85

Dinner time
Later All

Brent

EDIT: Link fixed
Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
ktaylor

Brent that was awesome! Howards crash into your truck. Oh, there's something wrong with your first link,, I'm looking for the video in your putfile profile,,,
Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
ktaylor

found it,, howard looked somewhat timid with the heli,,,
Old 04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Airbourne in Japan

well i had a few beers in the middle of the night despite the fact that i was going ultralight flying early in the morning and this proved to be the mistake i knew it would be. i have never not enjoyed flying real planes and today was a first. i don't really like ultralights, like paragliding, but that's the only flying here. given the choice, i would fly gliders all day long. anyway i'll do the training as i've already paid for it and see how i feel then. the other thing is when you convert onto a plane or learn the instructor normally takes you away from the airfield and lets you do some turns and stuff, which is really good for building up interest and confidence. this guy is teaching me circuits first and is doing all the flying and i am getting pissed off with it. if it gets too bad, i'll stop and get my money back. also he's one of these japs that has trouble understanding foreigners and i don't understand him much so that's a serious issue.

anyway, i wont be giving up rc, just bought another plane, the gilette f5d racer, about a 10 year old design, but cheap http://home.planet.nl/~zandv055/frames.htm i'm also going to get the stinger which is also cheap but not an f5d racer and not from nsp http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1544 i can get it in japan. i did order it from nsp and they let me wait for over 3 months and it still wasn't in stock. i think they are dickheads personally. anyway, these planes are for next year and the year after, i'll be aiming for 200 mph. that should impress the boring farts at the rc club !!
Old 04-09-2006, 09:21 PM
ktaylor

Doug, I'm assuiming that it's common for the use of a comma in place of how americans use decimal points, right? The price at first looked like it was One hundred forty eight thousand, not 148.00 WHat currency symbol is that? British pound?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Airbourne in Japan

no the euro, about .85 euros to the $
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 PM
ktaylor

Euro. OK, have to remember that one. I was thinking, the pound symbol is shaped more like the letter L right? I like the looks of the gillette, they could have done a better paint job for thier marketing picture though. Looks like it should be really fast. Did you see the build photos for the Nemesis? I tried to get the video, but it wouldn't locate or some other horsecrap. I like video's of planes screaming by.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Airbourne in Japan

hey Ken the pound is squiggly £££££££ and is a good currency, unless youre paying for shipping from the UK. i saw the nemesis vid, it was very short about 15 secs. it was 2 fly byes and mainly the radar gun in the picture. 201mph. i'm buying mine next year !!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:14 AM
rcverse

Hey Ken I seem to recall Nemesis vid on NESP
Old 04-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry guys, been working in the shop building a cradle. Got everything covered in sawdust.
So had to have the wifey and her sisters (identical triplets) over to hand wash all the Cobras,
since it was such a nice hot sunny day. Took them all day, they kept spraying themselves with the hose and having soapy sponge fights. I ended up telling them to go back in the house and put some clothes on, and had to end up doing them, (the Cobras) myself.
Whoa, should have started this out as "Dear Penthouse"

Anyhow the Lightning build is here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1870990/tm.htm
Last year Ron built a similar VQ Model P38, this year was the Yellow Model's P38.
He's also done a F86, and the Northrop Gamma, the other bird in the shop.
Shop does a custom plating of about any metal, to just about any surface, unlike normal plating they can even plate a styrofoam cup with their process. The Cobras, get under hood, trunk, and inside the doors done. Makes em look more original. The Lightning is a work of art. Plating is seamless. Ron added every panel line and rivet by hand. If I remember correctly he said it took around 25 hours to do the lines and rivets. Plating it was around $4,000.00. Even for me, $18,000.00 is a little too much to put into a bird. I'm thinking of getting the VQ version, around $800.00, for the basic version, and see how it goes, after I get done with the Raidentech one I have now..........

WTH, oh jeeze, gotta go, wifey and sisters are out in the jacuzzi skinny dipping, and one of them dumped bubble bath in the water, cripes what a mess. LOL
Old 04-10-2006, 07:07 AM
TerryE

GG;

It's official....

you are my hero
Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 AM
DepronJet

Brad

What a Life you have [8D] ! enjoy

seamless micro plating now i am thinking

Ray
Old 04-10-2006, 08:14 AM
AJ1202

Hi all, man lots of post to get caught up on and couple vids to watch
Update, the Pedestal is getting close to being finnished, worked on it ALL weekend

NY should be able to send size of glass soon for decall, still making minor adjustments to design for that, but I think I have it settled now, just have to put it together again and make final decision

Question, is the Hawk going to be sent to me to build and set up for presentation

Ken, yes I did want to know what you thought of the batts
Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 AM
DepronJet

AJ

ORIGINAL: AJ1202

Question, is the Hawk going to be sent to me to build and set up for presentation

i will send the Hawk like an RTF, all you need to do is glue the one piece wing in place and push the Fin and elevators into the slots

it will have the Red Paint on and Vinyl on the wings

as its a display model only i am going to make the wing aerofoil section with spruce and glass it before the red vinyl goes on,

NYflyer has the dimensions for the Decals and he is working on them and i an sure he will glide a set your direction,

Lou has the Cert and maybe Terry could print out a set of instructions as a nice small book possibly?
maybe i am asking too much [&o] but it would look Brill adjacent the display Hawk with the words " a Tribute to Sticks from the Badius Boys"

Ray

Ray
Old 04-10-2006, 09:16 AM
TerryE

ORIGINAL: DepronJet

AJ

ORIGINAL: AJ1202

i will send the Hawk like an RTF, all you need to do is glue the one piece wing in place and push the Fin and elevators into the slots

it will have the Red Paint on and Vinyl on the wings

as its a display model only i am going to make the wing aerofoil section with spruce and glass it before the red vinyl goes on,

NYflyer has the dimensions for the Decals and he is working on them and i an sure he will glide a set your direction,

Lou has the Cert and maybe Terry could print out a set of instructions as a nice small book possibly?
maybe i am asking too much [&o] but it would look Brill adjacent the display Hawk with the words " a Tribute to Sticks from the Badius Boys"

Ray

Ray

Ray;

No problem for me. When we get the manual finalized I will do a nice instruction book for it.
TE
Old 04-10-2006, 09:18 AM
TerryE

ALL BADIUS BOYS:

I would like each of the badius boys to email me a good picture of themselves (and wives if you so desire). If you have something special (and short) you want to say to Roger's family, send that to me as well.

I want to include the pictures / notes in the back of the manual so the family can put faces to the names, and as a lasting momento to Paula from us.

Also, if we can get a Badus Boys logo / decal before I would like to put it in the manual as well.

PM me for my e-mail, as I don't want to post it (and get spammed)

Terry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.