Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 05:48 AM
SkylarkNZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Ken
The wind that day (last Saturday) was blowing at about 30-40mph and the updraft was excellent. 60 yards or so to each side of the place we were standing, the air was pretty turbulent and unpredictable but we had plenty of space to fly in. My friend was piloting, he's been flying that plane for over 3 years. You may have noticed that there were two different planes being flown. The first (black with yellow tail) is the one I recently built which he was trying it out. The second (tatty yellow) is his own. Mine apparently flies better than his, albeit a little twitchy. I spent about 2 hours flying (and frequently scrambling up and down the hill), whereas he could fly for an hour without crashing. I did find his more forgiving and easier to fly, I'll probably adjust the elevator throw to a less sensitive setting. He was attempting to teach me landings I'm lucky to have a range of hills 10 mins drive from the house and it's windy quite often here. It would be interesting to see how the badius performs on the slope. On the motor break in subject, your explanation sounds pretty good and concurs with Lou. As long it can't damage my motor or ESC I shall be doing it.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 AM
gunfighterII

Hi All,
ktaylor, Thanks for the great motor info, suprising that the ESC is just a little VFD. I've put many in to control large pump motors but did not associate the two together. It sounds like I might want the outrunner as it will give more torgue, which is what I'm after.
Brent, The plane is $160 for the quiet storm, and $110 for the extra 330 mini, I've seen these in my Model Aviation mag for the past year or two and always was attracted to them, I did not realize they were so small, so when I discovered that I thought perfect for the first electric. I'm pretty definate on one of these as my first electric unless someone can come up with something better along the lines of a pattern ship or aerobat. As I said, I would like something wood rather than plastic or foam due to my lack of experience in those two areas.
It looks to me I can get a pretty nice plane for about $400, do you guy's think I'm crazy for spending that much. The servo's in my Ultimate I showed the picture of cost me $500 so that plane has about $1500 in it, but gosh does it fly nice.
Brent, Pink Floyd, Rocks, In fact I was just listening to there song, learning to fly, that might be a good overlay for some recent videos.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 AM
gunfighterII

Hi nyflyer56,
Nice old time pictures, Back in the 60's and 70's they held the nats here 3 times, I wish I would have been in the hobby back in them days.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:46 AM
SkylarkNZ

Hey Gunfighter
I'm also a Pink Floyd fan - did you take a look at this video, I think I may have pre-empted your suggestion about the track "Learning to Fly"
http://media.putfile.com/Eraser-foamie-slopie
Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 AM
gunfighterII

Hi Chris,
Actually I could not get the video to work, I'll keep trying. I'll bet that was the song you were playing.
I think the lead Pink Floyd guy has a new album out, I can't remember his name. One of the best bands ever! right after Led Zeppelin.
In fact, I don't think they ever put out a song I did not like.
David Gilmore!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:11 AM
gunfighterII

Chris,
Still no luck with the video, usually putfile works great for me, I'll keep trying.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:12 AM
afineman

Hey All

Those who are having problems seeing SkylarkNZ video, make sure you have the latest Quick time player.

gunfighterII

Where you like larger/balsa/cost effective planes, I have a few suggestions you may want to consider.

http://ak-models.com/cmp_quest_50.htm
http://ak-models.com/extra300s60blue.htm
http://ak-models.com/cmp_edge_540t.htm

OOHH and any of those planes can be electrified.

Brent
Old 04-29-2006, 07:47 PM
SkylarkNZ

Hi Gunfighter - Gilmour's new album is pretty good from the clips I've listened to on iTunes. It has the same feel of some of the stuff they (PF) did back in the sixties. It also has quite a few big names from the past playing along with him (Phil Manzanera, Rob Wyatt, Georgie Fame, David Crosby, Graham Nash and Jools Holland). I think I might have to buy it. Some of the tracks might suit the flying vids. Hope you get to see the vid I posted. As Brent mentioned, you might just need the latest version of Quicktime (plugin).
Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
ktaylor

Guns,
check this one out,,
http://www.tdlmodels.com/extra330.php

63inch span, $200
Old 04-29-2006, 08:53 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Hey BBoys!

I just got http://weflyelectric.com back on line.... Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Loubud

Good job Carl.
Thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
SkylarkNZ

Nice one Carl

I've been clicking on the link in Roger's profile and wondered why it didn't take me somewhere.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Lou/Sky

I've been working with Paula for a few weeks to get the site back up. We got real lucky this time around too! [8D] The account was deactivated for just over 3 weeks and the web hosting service today told me that once an account is deactivated the site files are gone for good and that they can't get them back either...[sm=devious.gif]

They told me I could reactivate the account, but that I would have to recreate the pages... [:@] I choose to reactivate the account and go from there... Once I did, all of a sudden, the pages showed up[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

For the moment the site will just be preserved as is! Tomorrow I'm going to talk to Paula a bit and as we move ahead she may want to add to it. We'll see what her thoughts on this are tomorrow. Possibly some of the tributes in the form of photos or web links....

BTW: the Guest Book is open for signing!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:25 AM
gunfighterII

carlf,
Nice job getting Roger's web site back up, everybody has just got to love the turbine bipe.
Brent, Ken,
Thanks for the great suggestions, I see they seem to be getting larger and larger. Below is the link to Chief where I was looking at the fliton's, alot of good stuff, more for the full scale crowd but with a small RC shop, check it out.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...m=/index2.html
Old 04-30-2006, 04:56 AM
gunfighterII

Chris,
Excellent video, the view is fabulous. May I ask what altitude you are flying at?

Brent,
Bingo on the quick time player, problem solved. I was beginning to think it was Internet Explorer 7 that I installed last week.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:10 AM
SkylarkNZ

Hi Gunfighter

Glad you managed to load the video. The flying site is about 400m (1300ft) above sea level.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:56 AM
ktaylor

Guns, yeah, I'm forgetting that you're wanting something for your first electric. A plane with a 63 inch wingspan is going to take a pretty big motor & high amp esc & high amp capacity batteries. You're wantig to keep your first electric somewhat simple, right? Actually its still simple even wigh larger stuff, just costs more money. But if you already have an Ultimate with $1500 in servos in it, then I guess you're probably not as concerned about cost as I would be. None of my planes have more than $200 total cost in them. ( Although, I still have my big inrunner to hook into a plane yet.) On the toic of inrunner/outrunner. Some out runners have high kv ratings to them as well. and some inrunners have low. You can also run through a gearbox for lower amp draw, but then you have the sound of the gearbox to deal with. I usually try to find a motor for direct drive that has a Kv rating from 1000 up to 2000. If you go higher than that you have to run lower voltage battery packs or go through the gear drive. When you do finally pick out a plane, let Brent know what kind of performance you want from the plane, he'll find you a good set-up. Oh, when you posted the link to Cheif's website, I thought you were making fun of that we're suggesting larger planes. Since their main page is for actuall passenger aircraft & then I noticed the link to thier RC page. Here' we'll just go tothe local airport & convert a cessna to RC, electric powered at that.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:05 AM
rcverse

Hey Gun and Phil

seems you both into large scale, going electric,..... here's some pretty good vid on Aggressor with some Epower to spare,...... he gives some specs on motor and Batts and should be able to piece the package together..... I saw a photo of a similar model, which now escapes me, that supposedly won the Nats or World Championship?? maybe last year,..... anyway some slick 3D flying on a grand EP scale..... got some other interesting vids on EP stuff there too......enjoy I did!!!

http://henke.rchomepage.com/video.htm
Old 04-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
A brief not from Ray. I'll do a cut and paste as he said it best.

Hawk is on the Plate tomorow !
competior saw it fly.
Holy Sh** he said !
guy who flew it said i was one hundred percent beter than grants !
B IG SMLE

willl be back tuesday pm
up link was a waste of time

There you have it. The Hawk was a big success.
Lou
Old 04-30-2006, 04:45 PM
afineman

Afternoon ALL

Howard and I decided to go flying regardless of the wind, we were out for about 3 hours, brought lots of planes, flew them all except the Corsair.

The first video is Howard's new 4oz digital video camera on my Stryker, nothing special, just a better quality on board video.

http://media.putfile.com/OBS-16

The next plane is one Howard has had kicking around awhile, it is a 18 year old OS 46 DuroPlane. Howard tried and crashed, tried and crashed, etc, etc 18 years ago, he said he destroyed the OS motor, so last week he converted it to electric.

Howard's comments were "It's about time I finally get this thing in the air", the funny part in the middle was me trying to fly it, and they called that a trainer.

http://media.putfile.com/duro-46

And this last clip of the day is Howard getting some more stick time with the Nexstar.

http://media.putfile.com/nxt-61

We had fun ( as we always do) every plane went home in tact, the motor in the Nexstar needs a motor bolt but that was the extent of the day's damage. OOHH and you can really see the wind in this video

Hope Ya like

Brent
Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Loubud

Brentski,
Good vids, as usual. That 18 year old plane looks like it can do some real good moves.

I'm currently waiting for some epoxy to dry. I had a chat with Brent about my Corsair and he is of the opinion that a smaller foamie will help me learn the aileron thing. I have decided to put the Mad Dog back together instead as I think the foamie will teach me to use ailerons ok, it won't fly like a 6 1/2 plane. The Mad Dod might be a better choice for me as I have all the parts and will just swap out a heli motor. I don't have a foamie in the hangar as yet but will pretty soon. Dougie sent me a 109 that will be here in a week or two.
Gotta go. I'm also using a .30 glow motor mount and need to get the right angle for it.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
Almost finished with the motor mount. Drill a couple of holes to screw in on and figure out the electric motor mount to put on it and it's ready for flight. Only trouble is I've misplaced my thinking cap. I coulda swore it was next to my aluminum foil hat.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:27 PM
ktaylor

good video brent, kinda bummed, I haven't seen a Howard deathspiral crash for a while,,

check this out though, this takes soe finese
http://media.putfile.com/Water-Landing-without-Floats
Old 04-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Loubud

Kate,
Yikes! and Gadzooks!!
That is flyin.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 PM
iflyatcae

Ken,
I'll be the first to say that I think that is a cool video, but fake. If it was real, the plane would have flipped when it hit land going sideways like that. and besides, it looks like the wheels are one with the rocks, and it doesnt match bouncing with rocks. But still cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.