Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 AM
gunfighterII

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Hi Ken,
Nice video, I'm going to have to try that on our float plane lake and see what happens, I wonder how he is going to take off!
I thought you might like the Chief site, it always catches my attention in the magazine because the add is so colorful, they have about everything for the flyer, mostly glow but a little bit of electric stuff. The $1500 number would be for the whole plane, $500 in servo's, I don't mind spending the extra money if I get quality stuff that will last.
rcverse,
Now that's the kind of performance I'm talking about with the aggressor, my style of flying exactly.
Brent,
I can see why they call you hollywood, I'll bet it's a added challenge avoiding all the light poles and stop signs. I see a new plane being ordered sometime this week, so be ready with all your ideas, I'll need em!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wowo,
Great vids all of you.

Lou, easiest way to remember batteries, series wiring doubles your voltage but capacity stays the same. Parallel wiring doubles your capacity, but voltage stays the same.

If it was me I'd go with multiple packs and parallel or series wire them to get to what you want.
Saves on buying another charger, plus you can always split up the packs to use in other birds.

No flying this weekend, too windy and prior commitments.[:@]
Did spend more time getting the nose gear in the Lightning, god what a pain. Instead of building it in the bird I ended up assembling it as a module, on the bench then cutting,gutting, and reinforcing the belly to accept it. Only to have the steering arm snap off on first ground run up. Musta put a little too much strain on it, playing around getting everything working correctly. Of course the module is all set up for that exact arm, so I either have to order a replacement arm or re mod the module for a different arm. [:@][:@][:@]
Old 05-01-2006, 06:13 AM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey, anybody have a tree they need to take out

http://slashbuster.com/videos.htm
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sky;

Nice vid, good music, scary flying [X(]

Hope everyone had a great weekend. It was too windy to fly here, but I spent quite a bit of time on the sim... I am getting good , now if I conuld only fly like that in real life...

Had RC neighbor babe over to work on her plane. She bought a Hitek focus 3ch so we installed that and made sure everything was working well. I love working on a plane with a girl in a tube top (and it looks goooooood on her) (wifey was out with some of her friends going to some flower show).

Town elections coming up on Tuesday, which we are very involved in, so no flying until that's over with.

Later
TE
Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Come on now Terry, if she looked like Lou, would you be showing this much interest???????????[X(]

if she looked like me, you'd have been throwing rocks at her.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GG;

If she looked like you or Lou, it would just make it easier to concentrate on the plane

As it was a 20 min job ended up taking over an hour and a half

And I STILL can't get the grin of my face...

Damn, I'm glad the wifey doesn't read these forums

TE
Old 05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All right you guys.
First of all I look like Johnny Depp.

A note from Ray. Copy/paste.

Hi Lou,

Back from distant parts,
Wow that was hard work !
the show was called off in the afternoon due to high winds !
but the Hawk was the last but one model flying
a big smile came over my face when i heard my name over the Tannoy
"will Ray Elliott of DepronJet please make your way to the flight line"
it was blowing 30 mph and you should have seen the downwind low level fly by for the spectators
the pilot asked me what it can take... so i said try and fly the wings off it !
he took it high ! i mean HIGH.. Full throttle Nose down then leveled out into a Beautiful slow roll past the spectators then into an inverted figure of eight totally inverted !
one of the other pilots walked over and said to my pilot "when that lands Put it in the Back of my Van !" hahha
my pilots coment was plain and simple " Thats Quality !" that all he said
from that single flight i handed out about 50 fact sheets on the hawk before the show ended due to high winds and rain,
i have gained an extra day becasue the show ended early so i will take the mould blocks to have it engraved tommorow and then Press the Sticks Hawk with Pride and knowing it will put a smile on face of anyone who flys it,
it is a tribute to Roger in every sense of the word and deed that we have all put into it,

Ray"
Old 05-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Let the bidding begin.
I, Lou, give permission to post amount paid for any that I win.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boy O Boy! what an awesome report and endorsement of the Hawk!!! Great Job All!!!

Get'em while there HOT!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:58 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Terry, Liz sometimes reads this thread just to see what everyone is up to. She gets a kick out of Lou. It took her a while to figure out what or who Hazy is. THen she told me to make sure he never finds out where we live. I told her S.O.L. on that one, the name Rock Island drew him like a magnet. Only thing I couldn't tell was if it was the Rock suggesting "rock & roll" or making him think of rock as in drugs. I think he's more of a beer drinker though. Dunno. Anyhow, not a thing related to planes to post about. I haven't had a chance to fly due to winds, & haven't even had time to get a plane ready to fly if in case the wind ever does go away. I might tonight though. Dunno.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hazy is very disapointed in Liz. Haze loves womens.

I got #9.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guys, I just won # 7 as RC Gunny..... I also have a High bid in on #5 that it looks like I just may win...

If I wind up the high bidder on #5 too, then who ever PMs me first, can have # 7 for the bid price.

(Don't pm me if you already have one! )

Yeah, you guessed it! Right about now I'm reminiscing about what it was like the first time I got caught with my paints down!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
afineman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hee Hee Hee

I got #twoooooo, I got # twooooooo.

This is the plane I will be bringing with me on my "Flying with Brent" tour this summer

Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
DepronJet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lou
thanks for posting that for me.. i knew it would take a few hours to get thru the emails,

to give you a little background of LMA this means Large Models Association,
but in the UK its not size it howit flies,
once i had launched the Hawk i was so mememorized i wanted to watch it fly [&o]
but in 3 weeks time i am at the next LMA and once again the Hawk will fly and i will be ready and get Vid,
tommorow the mould blocks go for engraving and when i get the call to say they are done i will collect and pressing begins of 12 Hawks
a bidder has asked if i can spray the mouldings for Him/her and if i get a PM allowing me to take and post pic of the moulding i will do so
now i need to sleep

i will read back the thread in the morning

Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yikes! and Gadzooks!!
The ever Gracious Elaine won Red Leader One. I still don't know why she wanted this plane so badly. May never know.
Congrats to all that won one of these. A fly-in with a greoup of these would be a wonderfull sight. Maybe one day it will happen. Me? I hope so.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great job Ray.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
carlf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congrats to all!

Here is a post from the SD J3 Cub thread....

ORIGINAL: carlf

Ray,

GREAT WORK!!!

Your videos came out very well and the CVS camera mod well…[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Hollywood flies onboard video with the CVS too!

I’m going to post a report on the Badius Owners Club thread with a link you your flight reports, videos and camera mod!! I think you will get some good feedback.

Here are the posts Stingray69 made.

You can find his Camera setup and posted videos links there too!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4222860
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4227292
Old 05-01-2006, 08:00 PM
nyflyer56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Brent,
The Duraplane flew great as an electric. I have several of them. I was buying them from the guy who invented them, before he sold out to Great Planes. He even had some wings covered in a rubbery substance called 'durahyde'. it was sort of like the coating on a Wrestling mat. My own design, the Speculator 25 uses a Duraplane wing w/ ailerons added. It would probably fly well as an electric too.

Here's a pic of it. has 300-400 flites so far. can be mild or wild. It is my fly anytime plane.
Also in the pic are my Spitfire, Bad Kitty, another self design, my Starhawk, and the arse end of my Big Stick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81978.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	453999  
Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
deathsprial

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Nyflyer what did you think of the Duraplane as a trainer. This was the first time that i have gotten this thing in the air and to me this was a hard plane to fly. I took it up high and put it into a slow stall. I could not belive what it did it took about 20 feet to recover she just rolled over and fell to me as a trainer that would of been a crash. I will say this plane has survived many crashes. I was loooking for an inbetween plane something this size to fly and land in a smaller space. How does it handle with alerions?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:16 PM
SkylarkNZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All
I flew some training flights with the Badius yesterday and it was just a little bit too windy - it certainly hovers nicely into a head wind. Caught a couple of big gusts and ended in a hard crash which broke all the plastic framework inside the fuse and caused the wing to break away. After an evening of gluing I got another chance to fly the Badius this morning. The winds were lighter and I'd set the elevator trim a tad down as she always seems to want to climb. This transformed my flying experience, it was really wonderful and resulted in my best flight yet. I actually felt in full control for a change and thought I might try a loop.....twice and 2 soft landings! I do believe I've finally mastered this bird.
Here's the video

[link]http://media.putfile.com/Badius-Loop[/link]

Ken - I'll try the shimming behind the motor next as I guess that having the elevator trimmed down permanently slows her down a bit.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
SkylarkNZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rcverse
Thanks for posting the link to the Aggressor video - I loved it - something for me to aspire to.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
ktaylor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

chris, Looks like it flew a whole lot better for you that time. Congrats. I bet your face hurt from smiling when you were done. Instead of the shim try a small coin in the nose of the plane. Shift the Center of gravity forward a touch. down trim on the elevator makes the tailplane act like a lifting surface. Causes drag, yes, changes the profile of the tail's airfoil, and causes induced drag. Low aspect ratio of the tailplane makes for inefficient lifting surface. Least drag from the tail will be if the elevator needs no input. Hard to find that perfect balance point though. Got any american penny's? Tape one or two under the canopy. That's wehre I usually put my ballast wieght on mine. Once again, looks good. Next step you'll be going to the 1200 mah batteries for longer flights.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:48 PM
SkylarkNZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ken - thanks for that advice. I already have an NZ$1 coin taped to the underside - I'll add another. I seem to remember someone said that the badius likes to fly heavy.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 PM
nyflyer56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My thoughts on the Duraplane as a trainer...NOT!!!.
It is sturdy & simple, but lacks self correcting. ok for a knock around plane, you won't advance much from it. So it is not a good second plane. It is just a fun 'somewhere around second, but not your main plane' second kind of a plane. The Ailerons on my Speculator 25 roll it nicely, but then again It will roll with rudder only. lighter than the Duraplane, simple and quick building. i would reccomend it as a first scratch built. Keep the throws down and it can be flown by anyone who has soled a 4 ch. Trainer. Kick up the throws, and it is squirley but fun. Uses wing and LG from Duraplane with a balsa fuse and tailfeathers. I will make plans available to anyone who wants it. I wonder if you can still get the wings from Great Planes?
Phil
Old 05-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Loubud

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sky,
Some fine flyin you did there. Ken's help on the toss works pretty good.
I'd be all smiles.

Plane report.
I have the Mad Dog put back together. Swiped a heli motor and will use a 7X5 APC prop. The motor is Align 430l at 330 watts and 25 amps continuous. Should move this thing. The prop is what it came with.
I have to get the Slow Stick up first so I can do an aerial mini movie. Weather might be ok tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service