Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:44 PM
five-string

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Alright, I give. Who the heck is HAZY!!?? I'm guessing it's his picture on Loubud's posts.

I bought some no-name servos from a LHS this week at $8.43 each. Come in a plastic bag with mounting screws, a circular servo arm and a four way arm. They are 9gram and are rated for 18 oz. Mounted them on the Stryker today and flew in 15-20 mph winds on high rates. They performed as well as HS55's. LHS buys them in bulk and passes the savings on. Wish I had a brand name to tell you all but they're nameless. The wire harness is only about 6" long, though. Got them from the Antique Barn and Hobby Shop in Wilson. NC.

Anyone try an order with the company that had the $3 servos? I'm wanting an inrunner and they had some great prices.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Loubud

Did someone dare ask for personal info on Hazy? Man. This will get interesting.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:05 PM
gunfighterII

Lou,
Good thing you are not here today, winds 30-35 gusts to 45.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Loubud

Mac,
Not much better here for the past few weeks. Nice ocean breezes are kicking in at 20 knts. I prefer 5 for flying. Good thermals on those days.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

GG, a .15 or .25 engine will go in a 1m sized glow plane. i'm not sure about the metric or imperial size these motors refer to. a .40 is good for a 1.6m plane 5lb or so and is pretty fast. a .90 is obviously much more powerful and i've got one for my 1.6m spitfire whenever i build it. there are 2 strokes and 4 strokes. basically, 4 strokes are bigger sizes for the same power output of 2 strokes, but sound more like real plane engines. a .90 2 stroke would be equivalent to a 1.20 4 stroke. glow engines are much more powerful than electrics and glow planes are stronger built. 2 stroke and 4 stroke fuels are different. all my glow planes are 2 strokes, including 2 ducted fans i've got.

hey Lou, if you're going to be cranky and senile in 15 years time, i'll have to come over sooner. i've always wanted to go to the US and it's so cheap from the UK ($350 return to NY) but i never did it. no more planes destroyed this week as the rainy season has started with a vengence. rain all last night and looks set to continue all morning. i think the ak models spitfire is the next plane on it's way to you, i'll give it one last chance to fly....
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Loubud

Hey Dougie,
Bring the whole fam damily. I'll get ya front row seats at the beach. I've been trying to get my Mom to sell her beach condo and just spend all the cashola traveling. Since she won't do it, come on down. This goes to the rest of you yahoos too. Stay here with me or off to the condo (unless it's in use). For all you folks that think this is the land of fruits and nuts, (no argument from me) we have REAL avocados here. Not those puny things you have. There are avocado trees everywhere here except of course the house wifey wanted. Kids will sell them on the corner for 50 cents. These are bigger than softballs. If you show up in a few months, they will be everywhere, including in my house. Nothing like an avocado sandwich. Except 2 of them.

Re: gas engines. When the box says size such and such for a gasser, one up it. Hazy rule of thumb.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
afineman

Hey All

You guys have to see this stuff http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101

Single cell lipo, ESC, rx, brush less motor, and servos in a foam plane that can do 3D with the AUW of SUB 2 oz

I'll never have to get off my sofa, can you imagine, 3D video from inside the house Hee Hee Hee.

Reminds me of the Blade Runner video of 2 years ago (WOW it was that long ago[&o] ).

Would you believe the last time I flew was with Kent in Ga (weather has been crap here), hoping this weekened, Howard and I can get out.

I spent some of yesterday's morning writing a post as to how a brushed and brush less ESC worked, WOW, I ended up deleting it. I realized, unless someone was reading it to you with your eyes closed, the analogise I used would be lost, and I didn't want the explanation to become to complex.

If I get a chance, I'll get an oscilloscope, make some video and talk about the 2 ESC's and how they work. BECAUSE if I say it is a " 3 phase pulse magnitude and duration vs pulse frequency controller" most will only hear "Bla, bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla, bla bla", and that is not me He Hee Hee.

Latr All

Brent
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 PM
gunfighterII

Hi Lou,
Is a avacado a fruit or a nut?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Loubud

Dunno but don't care. We're all the same out here. Nutty, fruity. No difference.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

achtung !! the rain stopped at 8am and the wind was light, so off to the field at 9.30. 10mph wind, so borderline for most of my planes. took the formosa, corsair f27 and ak models spitfire. the f27 was no problem of course and i had 2 good flights with it. i still want a faster one, but i'll have to buy some lighter 4s bats for that so it can wait until the polyquest 3s 3100s are finished. the corsair i knew would be ok in this wind, although it was a bit hairy. see, i've built crashed and repaired so many times that i don't want to do it any more haha. anyway i had a great flight with the corsair and even made a good landing. i was debating wether to fly the formosa. i know you guys with this plane would probably laugh at me, but i like this plane and haven't really crashed it and i fly it in light winds usually. anyway, i thought what the hell, don't fly don't try, so off it went and it was suprisingly ok. i also made an excellent landing with it so i was really pleased. i want to concentrate on the f27, zero, corsair and formosa this year and i don't want to crash any of them, that's my aim. anyway, i wasn't going to fly the spit even tho my patience with it is up, but the wind had dropped to 5mph, so i thought, last chance baby. take off, immediate turn left and cartwheel into the ground, breaking the motor mount yet again, just like the last 3 times. that's it, it's going in your box, Lou and i'll post it next week. all in all an excellent morning's flying and the first time this year i've been able to fly twice in a week. and i even wore my wellies if you know what they are hahahahaha
Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
nyflyer56

Brent,
Small world time again. The guys who own microbatics/ Dynamics unlimited are locals. Clarence Hurd, and his son. Son is now in buffalo area I think, I see him at local events regularly. His Dad lives about ten minutes from me. I made the banner they use for shows. I've been admiring their stuff for a few years now, but haven't taken the plunge.

Phil
Old 06-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Loubud

Dougie. Sweety pie.
Another plane for me? Yabba dabba doooooo. I know they come to me a little bent up but I do enjoy trying to bring them back to life. And since my budget for new planes is gone for the rest of my life...er...ah...year, these are precious gifts. Wifey bought stock in the major epoxy companies and the CA groups so I'll get a piece of the fixin price back. Doug sent me his Reno Racer a short time ago. I haven't tried to put her back together just yet as this plane deserves special attention. A very nice little screamer of a plane once it's ready to fly again. I can see the challenge this plane would give Doug. Small and fast. Quick at everything. Hey Doug, maybe it's just a pair of new glasses to do the trick.
Anyways, I do enjoy Doug's planes. Plus, I still have a plane Brent sent me to finish. The wing is repaired, a definite weak area so now it's just putting electronics in it.
Thanks again Doug. PM me the post charges. I'm always happy to pay you.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:12 AM
five-string

Are 480 brushed motors (Stryker motor, Stryker prop) ok on 11.1 lipos?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:24 AM
nyflyer56

They should be good until the the smoke comes out of them, then not so much
Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Terry

Now you tell me I have just spent £72.00 on the Hitec 5955's, thats each by the way and they have 24Kg of tourque, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry airbourne 2 stroke fuel and 4 stroke fuel are the same they all work on the compresion ignition thing and a glow plug, only the gas engines as the US call them use a different fuel its called Petrol where I come from.

Mike
[quote]ORIGINAL: Airbourne in Japan

GG, a .15 or .25 engine will go in a 1m sized glow plane. i'm not sure about the metric or imperial size these motors refer to. a .40 is good for a 1.6m plane 5lb or so and is pretty fast. a .90 is obviously much more powerful and i've got one for my 1.6m spitfire whenever i build it. there are 2 strokes and 4 strokes. basically, 4 strokes are bigger sizes for the same power output of 2 strokes, but sound more like real plane engines. a .90 2 stroke would be equivalent to a 1.20 4 stroke. glow engines are much more powerful than electrics and glow planes are stronger built. 2 stroke and 4 stroke fuels are different. all my glow planes are 2 strokes, including 2 ducted fans i've got.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:27 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Mike;

At this price (especially with the conversion) you can buy some for the next project...

Lets see pics of the new "baby"...

Have a great weekend.

Terry
Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Lou,
Do I get money back from Hazy for buying a gas plane and converting it to electric????
Ok stupid question. Hazy and the giving of money would never happen, what was I thinking.

I'll post the pic you sent, but since this is a family site I'm going to have to add the black tape to it.

Ok so on sizes if it says it's a 40 or 60 they are talking about the engine size required to fly the bird not the size of the bird in relation to the real thing?

Brent, just explain how the flux capacitor works, would be just as easy as explaining the workings of a brushless esc.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

5 String... I seem to recall that the 480s are available in 6volt and something like 7 volt versions. A 11.1 volt lipo would toast either one of those!!

Omiewon... Did the Hawk Decals ever arrive? ...keep your eyes opened for them!

Hey, I thought we were expecting the cost of lipos to be going DOWN... It appears to me that they cost more today than a year ago..
I know that there are higher discharge rates available today but if you compare todays 10c lipos, the cost seems to be higher...

Brent/Phil,
Those micro planes are cool. I've enjoyed watching them myself and would like to have one some day, but to me the scary part is the electronic micro surgery that might be involved if I crashed it...

Doug, That outing sounds like it was a good one....[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Great Report! What are you powering the Formosa with? I seem to recall your Formosa is the Formosa II as well, Right!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ok since I'm asking questions, answer this one.
I buy a set of aluminum air retracts, good for a 5 to 7 pound bird.
The P38 weighs 4 pounds. Nose gear strut is hogging out the retract, causing the nose wheel to go everyway except the direction it is supposed to go. Call up the supplier and am told there is too much nose weight on the gear. Huh???????????????? The weight on a Lightning is 90% on the mains and mine weighs less then the specs for the gear.
Am I missing something here?????
Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
gunfighterII

Lou,
A 40 or 60 size plane is just a reference for the engine size required to fly it, same for 120
1. 40 for 3-5 lb airplanes
2. 60 for 5-8 lb airplanes
3. 120 for anything over 8, this is just a ball park thing, my trainer is a 60 size trainer, but I could put a 120 on it if I wish, and I have!

GG,
Are you talking about pneumatic retracts or mechanical? Let's see pictures of the problem, If they are mechanical there is two adjustment screws you have to deal with.

Mike,
Technically you are right but..... here in the states we have 4-stroke fuel which has a little higher oil content than the 2 stroke fuel, but in my case I use the same as my 4 strokes are well broken in and heavily used, they also say no synthetic oil in 4 strokes, but that does not stop me from using it as it's less gooo to clean up!
Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM
five-string

ORIGINAL: nyflyer56

They should be good until the the smoke comes out of them, then not so much
I believe then, that this would be Terry's fault, correct?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Loubud

Well, since I have new and improved drugs I'll answer a question or too while still half in the bag.
Lipos.
Me thinketh that a great deal of electric fliers bought the 10C when the price fell. A flyer only needs so many batteries and then he stops buying. Demand for the newer 15C and up is still high enough that I don't think we'll see another drop in price that we witnessed till a better one comes out. Then the demand for the 15C's will drop and the cycle repeats. 8 to 10C lipos are still very cheap and can be found but we're learning more and more about the brushless motor capabilities. GG and Ray no a bunch about this. Keep that motor and esc cool and you can put more power into them. We've also learned a great deal about series and parallel. Anyway, the cycle of prices always follow supply and demand. I suspect that next year will be some be changes in our batteries and prices will change like we saw before.
GG,
You have a problem with the manufacturer. Unwilling to accept your version of what is happening. You did the right thing by buying a size up on what you actually needed but relied on the manufacturer's specs. They are either wrong about the quality or your gear is defective. One or the other. Persistence will pay off.
And Hazy doesn't share or give money to people. Sheesh. Everyone knows that.
I have one question regarding the 2 stroke VS. 4 stroke thing. On my Corsair the manufacture calls for one size if using a 2 stroke and another for a four stroke. Four stroke is always larger from what I see as required for use of a four stroke engine. Makes sense to me as torque and RPM abilities are far different.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Loubud

If the above info in my last post is incorrect in ANYWAY, Terry made me do it.
Ain't that right, 5String?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
gunfighterII

Lou,
2-strokes will always put out more HP for a given size, 4-strokers will pull a larger prop and give you more torque. quieter too!!! You would want to put a 4-stroke on a corsair for more realistic flight, slower, better climb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.