Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 PM
ktaylor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Brent, for a second there I thought you were trying to put a new hood ornament on your car! Looked like a great day though. Much better than your first flights with it. OK, you almost have me converted to use a typhoon motor for my birthday present plane. Still not sure yet which plane it will be, either a Super Chipmunk, [link=http://nitroplanes.com/such5258.html]this one[/link] ,,,,, [link=http://nitroplanes.com/such40.html]or this one[/link] ,. or a [link=http://raidentech.com/gi2025014nig.html]funky Giles 202[/link], or [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&item=280007229337&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1]ebay focke wolf[/link] I think I could get the focke wolf screaming since it's a sub50 inch wing, plus it would allow a little extra in the birthday fund to get more battery power But, I think I can get a fair amount of speed out of what ever I pick. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to do it with the stryker that won't trash out my packs & will still manage to fit in the plane, plus be within my budget. It's pretty fast on 4 cell with the rewound (10 turn) bp-21 on 4 cell. I'mn thinking I might rewind one to 12 or 13 turns and go with 6 cell and a little more pitch. Try out 13 turn first maybe. If it comes in at 13 - 15 amps like the 10 turn on 4 cell, that would give me 250-300 watts. [>:]
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
nyflyer56

Brent,
Looks comparable to glow power. I'll be able to tell you more when I fly it. Don't be afraid, you can touch your wood, but be careful with the CA. Ever see the movie "American Pie"?
Phil
Old 07-22-2006, 01:07 AM
gunfighterII

Phil,
Don't you remember hearing Brent say how this plane was only going to be half as fast as the Stryker, now he want's to get a Telemaster, I think we have our priorities mixed up here. Oh and something about a dead stick that never happens with electrics. I'm sorry, I could'nt resist.

Brent,
Very nice flying, very average landing, sorry, I've been drinking in a small town east of here, boy do they know how to party. I am stunned at the ability of this plane to fly slow, my hat's off to the designer of this plane, rugged and forgiving. Forget trying to land on the pavement, just go for that nice grassy area away from the cars, I hope the car is alright. As slow as that thing fly's you should be able to land it like the slow stick, harrier style. This plane is easily as fast as a glow version, unless of course you put the pipe on it, then it might have trouble keeping up. I hope the damage is'nt to bad, from the looks of the landing it can't be to awful bad, more damage done hitting the car.
The fix should be easy, just cut away the covering carefully with the knife and inspect the damage, buy some monokote trim sheets for the repair and get a heat gun to shrink it. Show us some pictures and we'll guide you through it. Balsa repair is easier than you think.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:38 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought you guys may like to see the canopy detail on my Yak, waiting for the ISO mounts for the MVVS to complete the build, will probably vidio the maiden flight and download if I can fing out how.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16029.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	495073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96193.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	495074  
Old 07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Stingray69

Nice Job Mike!!! Pilot looks scared stiff. Put a beer on the dash for him to chill with. Yes video that big sucker.

Sray
Old 07-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Stingray69

Did some cloud seeding this morning. Gauranteed thunder and rain for later [sm=drowning.gif]

Choose the 800 size below the video screen

Video = http://media.putfile.com/CubCam072206

Sray
Old 07-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Brewerpaul

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

BP,
Ummm, pointed object tends to go through something, flat object tends to stop or slow down quickly, which in turn transfers the shock back through the fuselage.
Might be better to have to dig out the bird then repair accordianed fuselage.
This from someone who usually hits the ground so hard it doesn't matter if it's pointy or not......it's dead either way.
Hmmm-- good point. Maybe I can add a shock absorbing spring..
Old 07-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Loubud

PAUL,
JUST FLY THE THING. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING SPINNER.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:14 AM
carlf
My Feedback: (1)

Stingray!!!

AWESOME Video!!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

I liked the inverted flight segments a lot. Let me be the first to say you are getting pretty darn good at this flying and movie making stuff! Very Good work bud!!

Hay! I gotta go watch that one again!!! Be back later on!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Loubud

Oh OH OH,
Just got my damaged laptop back from the puter store. $300 to fix it. Right now I'm programming from someone elses wireless connection but I'll have my router soon.
I be a happy man.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Brewerpaul

ORIGINAL: Loubud

PAUL,
JUST FLY THE THING. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING SPINNER.

Yes SIR! (clicks heels)...

I know the blades are self centering at speed, but I figured that they might lose efficiency trying to pull the plane through the air if they pull forward a bit. Moot point today, since it's raining. Good day to make whistles.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Loubud

Brent informed me I may be wrong about the self centering. I read it somewhere and old age prevents me from remembering where. Sorry if the info is incorrect.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:50 PM
omeiwon

Sray [8D]
U D ALTITUDE DUDE.
Get an altimeter now. i saw one for on board that reads max alt. but i cant find the link now
Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Stingray69

Hope you all liked that vid. It wasn't actually that high omei. Just lucked into some low clouds. Been trying to catch them in these conditions for a while. I've flown much higher than that trying to bust clouds before, but they were always out of my eyesight capabilities. The cub usually got to small. Redcub is much more height friendly. Now my next goal will be having a jet fly by on camera within say, 500ft or less. I'm actually located in the path of Orlando International approaches. And it won't be hard to do. Just have to be at the right place in time. Asking for trouble I am. When the FAA picks me up, I'll tell them my name is Wingnut from RCU

Nasty Maiden at 8am Sunday. I'll try and have ground vid for that.

Edit: If you find that link omei, post it please.

Sray
Old 07-22-2006, 03:52 PM
deathsprial

Hey Stingray nice vid you got some big ones going out of sight like that. Yesterday we had a nasty T-storm in the middle of the flying. Before it came Brent wanted to put the SS up with a camera on to to catch some of the lightning personally I do not think i would stand around with a lighting rod in my hand but then again Brent is a little crazy. Could not get the SS up in time because of a striped gear. What happens when the plane goes in the clouds, how do you see it again?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Stingray69

Howard, It was a little scarey at moments, but I tried to keep at least a shadow of the cub visible. It did disappear and that's why I was doing loops, so it would re-appear somewhat when the loop bottomed out. Did lose contact for about 15 seconds twice, seemed alot more though. I just put it in a dive until it was in sight again. If I can catch less density next time I'll try and get some vid from above one.

I agree with the thunderstorms, Time to pack it in when that happens.

Sray
Old 07-22-2006, 04:34 PM
omeiwon

S RAY just sent you info on a micro a ltimeter to build (email)
omei
Old 07-22-2006, 04:43 PM
omeiwon

OK that didn't work [:@]
heres the link to the kit schematic & parts
http://www.circuitcellar.com/fi2003/...64abstract.pdf
omei
Old 07-22-2006, 05:29 PM
afineman

SRay

Nice vid

All

Well I did the wood repair, I peeled back the mono coat, made things straight and CAed the heck out out everything, the I sprayed accelerator, I thought it was going to burst in flames[X(]

Anyways I have before and after pictures as well as a few for AJ ( the wing extenders).

My 5 foot rule is now in place for this plane, in the repaired photo, I used my TRUSTY packing tape to make the airflow clean. so all those wrinkles are under he packing tape.

Where it is all repaired and the battery is charged, I may go fly it tomorrow, if I go alone I'll bring the CVS cam and stick it out the side.

OOHH all you guys using the CVS cam, do you happen to have an extra LCD screen, mine got destroyed when the Stryker exploded last year.

Yesterday I wanted to get some inflight lightning strikes, but 1 of the screws came out holding the motor in place causing it to strip the NEW 66 tooth gear[>:].

OOHH Mac, it was quite the shock to me too to see how slow this thing can fly, BUT at that speed you need massive throws, SSOO it's time to make the adjustment, I also have to work on my rudder skills too (on the ground)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58880.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	495228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70045.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	495229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74688.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	495230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19767.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	495231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17542.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	495232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul79641.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	495233  
Old 07-22-2006, 05:29 PM
omeiwon

HEY ALL i found the complete article on the A LTimeter build.
http://www.circuitcellar.com/fi2003/F164.htm
ON THE right side of the web page you can download the ZIP file with the complete setup.
omei
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

having destroyed my 3d bip after 1 flight, not to be undone, i got 3 more 3d bips from the lhs yesterday. hooray, i do like buying rc stuff. the eday, ultrafly furious and the ultrafly ultimate. going to build the eday soon, this is just for a laugh, but i'll be interested to see how it flies. also ordered my sunracer f5d pylon, which i will build during the winter and fly after i've got used to the stinger, which is more tame. if i like flying pylon f5d type planes, i may eventually get the jibe, which is flown by the British team http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=265 or the nemesis http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=265 or the ariane http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=265 ummm lovely planes haha. i'm looking for something to put the het rc 20-20w 2 turn 700 watt motor in eventually. i've got a pretty good big circuit at my field for flying fast planes so it's going to be fun. babysitter coming today and taking the kids to the park in the morning, so i'm hoping to finish the lancair.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:13 PM
omeiwon

Brent , i have one (cvs LCD) in a cam that's not hackable ,if no one closer hooks ya up .
let me know. i have your addy from the CD you sent me .
OH get out the heat gun & fix the monocoat on that wing .. THAT'S UGLY.
Glad the plane survived that CAR.
remember the SKYHAWK thru the cop car window ? that would have been great on video.
omei
Old 07-22-2006, 06:55 PM
afineman

Luke

Thanks for the offer, if no one else steps forward I'll take you up on the offer

OOHH for the last 1+year Howard and I have been flying at the school/farm, I am sure you have heard me more than once telling Howard to get away from the power lines.

WELL Howard now knows WHY I keep saying "Power Lines"

http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_01198.wmv

Brent

ps Howard is the one who found this link, SSOO he now gets it[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 PM
gunfighterII

Brent,
That's just a minor repair, I tossed the package you sent with your address, PM me your address and I'll send you my spare heat gun, I just bought a new one and the old one works fine.
Almost lost the U-Can-Do today, doing a low pass and kind of slammed into the ground, no problem, it just bounced and kept on flying. actually twice, as I was doing a low pass upside down for the camera and kind of scraped the rudder on the ground also, Phew! I really like that plane. Also let my buddy fly it, and he was doing crazy stuff within the first minute, as I said this plane is just to easy to fly. I should have let you fly it when you were here, but stuff just happened to fast.
Did anyone get the license of that truck that hit me last night, holy cow! No wonder I almost lost it twice
Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

damm, just putting the nose wheel onto the lancair and the fiberglass where the leg brackets mount broke. i'm going to have to rethink this and complain about the design. there's no way this can support the nose it's just too fragile. no steerable nose wheel then. wonder if i can get my money back haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.