Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 02-13-2005, 08:33 AM
RayRay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Haze,

How's the "third leg" coming along on the project you started last night?
I hope it came along nicely.

Tailwind
Old 02-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Loubud

Hi Tailwind, Had some kinks to work out. One part was a bit stubborn.
It's ok now.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
Rained last night so no Badius notes but I did fly the heli in the neighbors front yard.
Got her up 5 or 6 feet. Didn't actually hover but I kept her in a smallish area. I did find out what "Darned tree" meant. I started to go right towrds the plane magnet. I didn't know heli's were drawn to them also. I know now. I did a nose dive into a 1 foot wide walkway. Good thing I didn't hit that soft grass or I wouldn't have broken the landing skids. I used some palstic cement to do a repair job on them and man oh man. Just like the old days when glue was atractive. I would have written the post earlier but I had to wait for wifey to get home so she could use some nail polish remover to get the tube off my nose. Accidently got it too close. Coulda happened to anyone. Nail polish remover smells good too and it doesn't stick to your nose. Yum.
Back after my nap.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:29 PM
AgCat1982

Hi everyone, where ever you are! I spent all day yesterday getting my brushless slowstick out of a tree. Only to save the stuff. The plane was expendable, and good thing, too. All parts alive and well! Poor SS.[] Just a "not paying attention" thing on my part. I even used a bow and arrow in the salvage attempt. Was too high for the heavy string I was trying to toss up. It would get within one foot of the limb and fall. Before I went after upholstery thread to use to bring up the heavier nylon string, we tried a different approach and finally succeeded in ripping the thing out in pieces with the 60 ft pole of pvc we had been using. I found and added a 15 ft piece of aluminum CB ant. ground plane as the last part of the pole and added several hooks. WORKED! I salvaged $160.00 worth of parts!

Now I am VERY sore and I didn't do my back ANY good! I owe "little" brother big time!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Loubud

Holy Cow. An SS bites the dust. Only time something like that was good to hear was WW2. You can load up another SS with the parts, course you know that.
Ah well.
Got the heli up again. Wind is a bit gusty but something like that doesn't bother ole glue face. I lasted about 5 minutes or so before the skids broke again. I need some new ones. Nice shiney aluminum ones.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:10 PM
afineman

Sticks

I just bought slope version of the SS for $18.99 a my LHS, Howard got one too.

All

Flew Mary Kate some more today in even more wind, I was alone ssoo no video.

I flew it a little harder today and, just like yesterdays video nothing was flexing.

I decided to use a bigger liop, she is now up 14.8 oz, but is floating like a feather.
I think because I can fly it really slow now, the rudder will need to be increased in size, just not turning the way it needs to.

I can't wait for a sunny lo wind day, I want to get a good idea of the climb rate and how well she glides.

If the next few flights go as well, this may be a mod I would highly recommend, and so far she has held up to crashes very well.

Later all,
Old 02-13-2005, 05:11 PM
AgCat1982

Here it is. I have a replacement fuse stick. I think tape will repair the main wing. Rudder seems to be ok!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30455.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	228909  
Old 02-13-2005, 05:18 PM
AgCat1982

Did I miss a vid?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Loubud

hi All,
Hollywood,
I guess the mods are good. Nothing like a good glide now and then.
Sticks, Holy Cow. Wifey would tell me to toss it (not in the air).
Old 02-13-2005, 05:35 PM
AgCat1982

Haze, as soon as I get to the Little Rock hobby shop I will get a new wing. Not one here. My guy does have a Slow-V wing. I may try that!

Found the vid. Didn't know you guys were sneaking off to the old site!

Looks great, Hollywood! Howard is a FINE camera man! You might want to think about setting the focus to manual. I didn't even know mine had manual focus until two weeks ago! I was having trouble with the focus going in and out when something near the camera was catching the focus eye and blurring the plane. Just a thought.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Loubud

New wings, new skids. Where does it end.
My farm is all muddy and I have no wind. Horrible. I'm tempted but this stuff is clay. If it was red, I'd harvest that too. At the moment they have some celery left. Might have to snag some of that.
Off to parts land.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
AgCat1982

By the way, Hollywood, I have been making backups of almost all, if not all, of you vids here. If you ever want one uploaded for someone to see without using your bandwidth, just yell!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Loubud

AAARG. [:@] Rain for tomorrow too. Since I busted the skids again I'll epoxy them this time (ran out of airplane cement) and hope that works till the new set comes in. LOL. I just looked in the mirror an the cemnt cap is glued to my chin.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:43 AM
AgCat1982

Haze, my man, what do you want your ailerons to do? What I mean is, do you want it to try to do stunts or just assist in turning? With the latter I won't need large ones. They can be about an inch or a little more and about one third of the span. With stunts we could make them bigger to cause more radical turning maneuvers.

Got a spot on your nose where the glue was stuck? as hollywood would say "hee, hee" or LOL or just plane LMBFAO!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Loubud

Heartland, I mean Sticks. I think I would like big ailerons. Maybe after I learn to fly I'll split the flaps so I'll have great breaks. Do the Crow feature. Is that function on your tx? Hope so. Looks like fun.
Still bleeding from ripping the cap off. Gotta go.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Loubud

Hey Glassman, Why aren't you here to help me fly the heli? Geez. Everyday I look out the window and no one is there. With winter happening everywhere but here and Florida, oh and Ark, I figured one of the Badius Boys would come out to visit. Gotta a spare room right next to the tracks.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 AM
AgCat1982

Will do, Haze, ole buddy, ole pal! I am looking at other gliders to get ideas.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 AM
AgCat1982

Sir Haze, I found out Aeronaut has reintroduced your glider in an updated version! It can hold a larger prop and has polydihedral wings.

Also, I was given a suggestion to use an offset gearbox to allow a larger prop. If we can get the prop long enough, we can get better climbing thrust with the gearbox. I even believe I can modify the cowl to allow us to set the motor higher and not look bad. I will do some thinking and drawing on it to see. The larger prop would be better all the way around.

Name:	Ec89641.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	229207  
Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 AM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Hazey;

I would love to come out and help you crashe....er, fly yeah, fly the heli

Sounds like you are doing well, 5-6 feet up and only broke the skids? Wow, you are a fast learner!

Unfortunarely, I have to stay here and look for work... you know the old dilema, now I have the time, no $, when I get a job I have the $, no time!

Vicous circle[:@]

Oh well, I am there in spirit, and am confident you will do great - heck, you already are!

Keep up the good work, and get wifey to do some video.

By the way, you are sure right about the weather - it is snowing hewre this morning!

I hate that groundhog that said 6 weeks more winter[>:]

If I can be of any "long distance" help, please let me know...

Terry
Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Loubud

Hey sticks, what size prop does mine call for?There are a bunch of 3 bladed props that might fit without too much alteration but do whatever you feel cofmy with. Thanks again.
Oh, stay out of the trees. You might get magnet dust on you.
Glassman, you should get a job in about 3 weeks. Takes companies a while to get the new year going. In the meantime...
Old 02-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
Flew heli, crashed heli. Doens't this get a bit old? If my ole pal Glassman was here it wouldn't have happened. I was in the neighbors front yard, minding my own beeswax when a small gust catches the heli. Sucker goes across the street and into a tiny pole. I couldn't hit it again if I tried. So, after mosying on over I see I broke the main and tail rotor blades and a servo control arm. Darn it Glassman! Get over here.[:@] I'll feed ya. Rent free. You can drive the black car while you're here. Ok, I'll wash it.
That was yesterdays news. This morning I fix the heli and decide I might need a little more space. I don't want to fly in the farm and get farm dirt all over the heli so I go to a local restaurant and fly in the lot. I'm trying to learn to land this time out. I get the heli up to a comfy 5 feet and bring her down. I repeat this a few times, adjust the gyro and try some more. Yikes! and Gadzooks! This parking lot is right next to the freeway and the heli takes off for it. I stop the forward progress and try to bring her back to the middle of the lot. Dumb thumbs takes over control of the tx. Then...Hazy shows up. Dumb thumbs and Hazy get into it and the heli does an endo on the asphalt. Broke the last tail rotor set.
Off to parts land while Hazy sits on the sofa.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:26 PM
iflyatcae

sorry to hear that lou
Old 02-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Loubud

Thanks Ifly.
The glue (that won't hold) just finished drying. I'm going to the yard across the street to cras...test it.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Diggidy

Hey guys,

Any of you know of a good tachometer out there. I want to know how many rpm's my shaft is turning. Not even sure that there is such a device but it doesn't hurt to ask right?

Brent,

You said that all you have been using up to this point Lipoly wise was 2 cell's correct? Is that still true?
I just got a 3 cell 1500 mah which i'm going to try in the badius. I was using a 2 cell lipo with a brushless motor and i can climb into a speck at around forty five degees in about a minute.
I"m hoping that with the extra cell for 11 volts that it will climb straight up.

Also i ordered the formosas they should be in my LHS within two weeks.
What do you think of putting the 3 cell lipo into the formosa?
Does the formosa have good low speed flight characteristics or does it tend to tip stall.

Lou,

Good luck with the heli but don't forget to give us some badius stories in the near future. I think i'm starting to go into withdrawl. haha
Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 AM
Diggidy

Puppies

Name:	Lj23826.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	229986  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.