Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 08:46 PM
AgCat1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

Congrads Howard![sm=thumbup.gif] I have been looking at the Majister and wondering if it would fly. Then I saw Greg Covey's thread and video. Now this one. I think you can get this as a kit, can't you? I'll look. It's a really sharp looking plane, looks real!

What is it made of? Tough or GWS type foam?

Good video!

How about the differences of my batteries? Must be age and possible abuse when I didn't know it. One battery supplies more amps than the other and both are the same type. The weaker one does not get hot when run. To make the most use of the 400F Motor Max Motor you need at least a 10C 1500 or maybe 8C 2100. I am going to try two together on the Cub.

I spent the last hour and a half flying my Slow Stick. Flying it everyday. This thing is great for improving your skills! I don't know how long it has been since I turned the wrong way! Don't even think about any more! I flip it, do fast figure eight's, many, many landings and take offs to put it where I want to, even if the wind is blowing. It is going to make it a lot easier to fly bigger planes. You can take off, flip around to land again, in a couple seconds, do it over and over again to get precision down pat. You can get more practice in one flight than you can in twenty flights of other planes! Flying the Stryker super fast will require these kinds of skills! You shouldn't have to think, just react! It's loads of fun.

Haze, have you got yours together, yet? When you get the hang of it, you will be surprised at the places you will be able to fly it.

Speaking of the Stryker, I got ripped by Horizon! They the bare fuse was in stock so I ordered it. They sent a second email saying it would be shipped in 1-2 days. Then they sent an email saying they shipped the tail fins, but, the fuse was BACKORDERED!!![:@]

I admit it. I'm a Slow Stick pusher!!!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:53 PM
afineman

Dig

Optical illusion, he was close but not that close to the poles.

The funny one was me hitting the ONLY rock in the field, I now know how Lou feels.

100 meg movie ripped

Later ALL
Old 05-22-2005, 09:10 PM
AgCat1982

Diggidy, are the files staying gone? If so, I haven't had that problem. I have problems with the folder not being there when several people are using it, but, it always returns later.

How heavy is your Yamato? That and wing area makes the difference in what kind of thrust you will need. Thrust in speed and thrust in lifting power. Also, the grass field is keeping your speed down. You could try larger wheels. The Clod Hopper would NOT take off in grass if it was thick. Wouldn't let it get up enough speed.

Have you got a watt meter? That's what you need to see what prop you can use. It will let you know if you are not pulling enough amps and you just increase dia and/or pitch of your props until you have the watts needed to fly with. Remember, for a heavier plane, you are going to have to have SPEED, not just thrust. You can have ten pounds of thrust with fifteen mph prop speed and the plane will never fly if the stall speed is sixteen mph! It will go straight up, just not fly level! You can see where you need both.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:43 PM
AgCat1982

Working on my straight wing, aileron Slow Stick. Here are a couple photos.

Here is a plane, in kit form, I think I will get before long. 28 inch wing span, Pitts, 10 oz weight. Around $42.

Click here for [link=http://www.aero-labs.com/?page=pitts]Pitts kit[/link]

Aileron Slow Stick wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26463.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	275229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83815.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	275230  
Old 05-23-2005, 01:39 AM
AgCat1982

Update on the Straight aileron wing Slow Stick. Finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for tomorrow to see what happens! I removed all the dihedral and put a servo at each aileron position. I used the tiny GWS pico std servos. I am curious to see if it will roll very well.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:19 AM
deathsprial

hey ag
the plane is made of strong styro when I was doing the roll outs on the ground it took off for a few feet then it wedged itself under Brents truck it is a strong plane. It does come in a kit easy to build the motor is sold seperate.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:32 AM
deathsprial

Great Video Diggidy looked like the grass was to much drag on the wheels to get up enough speed to take off I think if i tryed to take the Magister off the grass i dont think it would of taken off. The motor sounded like there was enough power to fly the plane Good luck with it
Old 05-23-2005, 08:53 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

i am considering getting an aerobird extreme wing for the badius nutter. this is 4.5' and already has a cf rod. i find the badius is pretty difficult to control with lots of power applied, rolling and pitching all over the place and the larger wing might help. ummm only thing is it's $25 + shipping, but after all this is our hobby chaps and a serious laugh at that. what do you guys think of getting this wing for the sportster badius ??

flying news. babysitting my daughter has begun to stress me out so from wednesday she's going to a nursery. that means i'll have 4 days a week to work on my computer systems and go flying, build planes, read etc - just me and the dog !! bliss.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:18 AM
AgCat1982

Thanks for the info deathsprial. It's a nice looking plane and has the appearance a real aircraft at a distance.

I, also, think the grass may be diggidy's biggest problem. He still needs to check the watts and amps his system is pulling.

I am on my way out to test the straight wing aileron SS.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Loubud

Hi all,
Great vids everyone.
I'm off to assemble the stab asnd rudder on the Slow Stick and maybe fly the Slipper. If i get the SS close to finished I'll swap out the reciever from the SS and give it a go.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
AgCat1982

It flies ok. It won't roll, at least not with any speed! These wings may be just too big. They are so big that they don't want to move up and down! It is very good aileron practice and it's easier to line up on the "runway" with cross winds.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:53 PM
CaptainRandy

Hey Hollywood,

Just got back from a few days in the Florida Keys. No package yet[]

I just spent the better part of an hour just cathing up on the thread, Wow you guys are like a bunch of desparate housewife's chatting away

I see that you guys love this slow stick, I was reading an old mag about the Yard stick by Great Planes. Is that the same plane?

Lou, when is the Omei maiden?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:23 PM
afineman

Pappy

The Yard Stick is Great Planes version of the Slow Stick.

The Slow Stick is less expensive, and from what I have read, a little more rugged.

I don't recall many posts of a Yard Stick carrying up a 10 oz camera payload, but the Slow Stick does that and then some.

Hope it Helps

Brent
Old 05-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Loubud

Hi Randy. Bout time you got back. I'll fly my new Slow Stick this weekend. Need a part for it.
Sticks, Airlons don't roll it? That's a shame.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 PM
CaptainRandy

Hollywood,

Does the Slow Stick fly stock? or is it another plane that needs upgrades?

I wish I had one when I took my grandson camping a couple of weeks ago, as they have a very nice open field that no one uses. Would be perfect for a plane like that.

Maybe I should get one, who sells them?

Did DHL give you a tracking number?

I use mostly Fed-Ex ground for all my eBay shipments, I like their Insight website and I print all my labels for postage right online same as with the USPS site for Priority Mail.
Works for me anyway.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:58 PM
AgCat1982

Hi Captain. The Slow Stick flies good stock. I flew the 350 motor for a long time. I never had any luck with the GWS s400. Hike it up to 8 cells and use a heat sink and it does great! My son flies his with 7 NiMH's just fine. I just recently cranked up mine with the Motor Max Motor 400F and have one that jumps off the ground and climbs to 100 feet vertically. The wheels may make one rotation and then straight up!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
AgCat1982

Oh yeah, most shops have them. I got mine from Balsa Products. $35. It's an ARF. You have to put in the electronics, but, it comes with a motor.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:05 PM
afineman

Randy

The Slow Stick flies GREAT stock, with what ever you have kicking around for, servos, ECS, batteries, rx.

DON'T buy one, Santa (DHL) has one for you. I just hope it didn't get lost, as I said it was scheduled to be there Thr.

I'll let you know what the shipper says tomorrow.

[>:] surprise is now gone[>:]
Old 05-23-2005, 10:14 PM
AgCat1982

Nah, like I said Haze, the wings are just too big and air grabbing! They just don't want to move in that direction! I may move them to my good wing to keep in practice using ailerons. They do help maneuvering in the wind.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 PM
AgCat1982

Captain, the Yard Stick is balsa and covering type wings where the Slow Stick has lightweight hard foam wings that are pretty tough. I do believe the SS is tougher than the YS like Hollywood said.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
CaptainRandy

Hollywood, Sticks,

Hey guys, Thanks for that great info on the SS & YS.

I was really getting ready to order one or the other, as it looks and sounds like it might be a blast to take camping or just fly right from the front yard. I have always wanted to fly something in front of my house and I think the SS would do the trick.

Hollywood,

You are a pisser, you sent me a SS, That is Fantastic, but why I am not sure.
I sure hope it shows up, and is not lost in DHL land.

Thanks again guys for the advise on the SS.

OH, I forgot, Brent you were talking about that kid who flew with his feet. I saw him at Top Gun Fly in, here in Florida last year. He was amazing, and what a standing ovation he got.
He did not just fly, he flew Fantastic. Put all of us to shame.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

yesterday was a good day for the badius nutter. ordered a 1.4m aerobird extreme wing for it and the 10c 1800mah 3 cell lipo appeared in the post. unfortunately my car is being serviced and tested for the next 2 days, so no flying. my daughter is half day at the nursery this week and 4 full days from next week sooo now i can relaaaax !! going to try starting the glow plane again, i put a thread up about my starting problems and got some good advice. may work this time. hey, the slow stick sounds like fun !! not going to buy one tho
Old 05-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Loubud

Hi Doug
Good luck with that wing. With the lids out of the house you'll make great progress on the glow plane. Good luck with that one too.

Tossed the Slipper up a couple of times this morning. The first flight was uneventful. The second ended a bit different. I was in a dive from a little over 500 feet. When i pulled up I got to level flight and lost power. I was over some houses and tried to get the Slipper towards the street but with no luck. I hit a roof. No one home and getting up on it was very easy so I went up to get it. I found the lipo a few feet from the plane. I'm guessing that the dive plulled the lipo off of the Velcro and when it hit the roof it broke free. Broke the gearbox Brent sent me so I'll have to get a new shaft other wise it's all ok. The battery must have been haning on by the halfway unpllged connection. I'd rather replace the gearbox shaft than as lipo so I guess it was a good day. Coulda been better. I could have landed in a pile of leaves the guy has in his back yard.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:05 PM
AgCat1982

Ah, come on, Doug!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Loubud

Hi All,
First let me pat myself on the back. Ok. Areo-nuts has good prices on lipos. Check out this link.

http://www.aero-nuts.com/index.php?cPath=32

Let the price wars begin.
Check out their other stuff while there and remember that this site is very slow to load. Hopefully it will be worth it to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.