Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:20 PM
sxk122

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

i didn't know about the differences in handling due to centers of gravity, but it makes sense.... I just saw different numbers and my mind kinda locked up. If the winds are like they are now, I wont be flying in the morning. Steady 20 mph winds right now in Dallas. Poo
Old 09-23-2005, 06:26 PM
htjoel

Hello Hollywood,

What type of mini-cam are you using for your in-flight stuff? Is it the Octave Multipod or something different like the aiptek? How do you mount the cams?

Not talking about godzilla, just regular stock like the Sky Hawk or Cub from Shun Da...

Thanks,
Joel
Old 09-23-2005, 07:20 PM
RayRay

Hi Joel,

Unfortunately I already paid for the props or I would have ordered them from DYMOND. I purchased my Dymond 2s and 3s lipos from them. Really good outfit and fast shipping.

I do not own a SD Cub. I believe Diggidy and Agcats have Cubs. I have 3 Badius (2 are for parts), 1 Stryker, Sky Hawk, Omei and Mini Funtana.

Doc - What do you know about the $30 cam from CVS?

Thanks,

Tailwind
Old 09-23-2005, 10:16 PM
afineman

Ray Ray, Ray Ray, Ray Ray

Everything thing you need to know is here http://camerahacks.10.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=13?

ALL

Tomorrow, Howard and I will be flying at 10 AM . I will bring Godzilla as well as a few other planes, Videos will be abundant, I'm hoping to get synchronized on-board/ground video [8D] of Godzilla.

After I do the weight test flights, I will be putting my Nikon digital Still/Video cam on Godzilla.

My goal is to fly it at 399 feet and 11.9 inches with some LIVE video. I think with Apple picking season, coupled with the farms going orange (pumpkins), it should be some good contrasting video.

Hee Hee Hee

Later ALL

Brent

Old 09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
iflyatcae

Doc, am I missing something? why not 400 feet, or higher at that? good luck
Old 09-23-2005, 11:16 PM
afineman

I Fly

I live/fly in a FAA controlled zone. because I fly in an area SSOO close to Manchester NH airport. I MUST be mindful of the FAA rules, and the rules say ( being in the zone I am)I can NOT fly above 400 feet.

Because where I fly is SSOO convenient, I don't want to Pi$$ off the FAA, I go out of my WAY to make sure I would NEVER interfere with commercial aviation.

SSOO as MUCH as I would like to fly to almost out of sight, I can't ( even thought I may be able to get away with it), all it takes is 1 mishap and homeland security would be knocking at my door, and then they would be sending me off to Cuba Hee Hee Hee

SSOO for ALL U guys, you need to call the FAA, find out what Zone your flying field is in and be respectful

Bed Time for Bonzo

Brent
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 PM
afineman

We have Carnage

Howard and I spent 5 hours flying this morning and we ( or should I say Howard) only lost 1 plane. Howard found a Yard Stick NIB for $10 at a local flea market.

The maiden was this morning, it's first ( and last) flight was good, until the end.

Picture is of a plane that from 100 feet up going WOT dove into the tar road, I'll let Howard explain the rest

Did a lot of testing with Godzilla, I'll make the video and go into more detail later.

I just wanted to post Howard's photo before he got home Hee Hee Hee

Brent

EDIT: The Videos

Howard and the Yard Stick http://media.putfile.com/yards

Godzilla light @ 29.7 OZ http://media.putfile.com/sse

Godzilla with 30 OZ weight added (almost a 4 pound Slow Stick) http://media.putfile.com/slowsl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12613.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	328603  
Old 09-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Diggidy

Brent,

Great videos. Thanks for posting. How did Howard like the Yard Stick compared to his slowstick. Before the crash of course.

How high do you think you got the Frankenstick? 399 feet and 11 inches?
Gonna put your camcorder up soon?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
RayRay

Brent,

Howard has some explaining to do

Nice videos of Godzilla. Thanks again Kyle. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Tailwind.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Pilot Ray

Hi Afineman,
Nice video of your Godzilla plane with the 30 OZ weight added. Your plane looks like it flies very nicely. Great job.

Hi htjoel,
When removing the press onto the motor shaft type of propeller, I always clean the prop hub hole and the motor shaft with a paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol before pressing propeller back on. Sometimes the heat of the motor will work out trace amounts of motor lube oil residue back onto the motor shaft and can cause prop to not hold as good. I always clean the propeller and motor shaft on my planes before pressing them back together. This method really helps the propeller to stay on tighter and I have never had a propeller hub hole strip out.
Also, when putting on a propeller, you should leave about 1/8” clearance between prop hub and the aluminum plate. This allows room for some give for impact absorption on a hard crash.

Hi sxk122,
In my other post, I forgot to tell you what the CG measurement was on my Accipiter Badius plane. For the most part, I generally had my AB plane CG set at around 8.75 inch, (more of a nose heavy plane) when measuring back from the tip of the propeller cone.
The only problem though when measuring the CG this way, is that this CG measurement may never be exactly the same for other AB flyers depending on how far on the propeller is installed onto the shaft. Another thing that alters this measurement is impact damage to the fuselage. The AB fuselage does compress and stay compressed a little after a hard nose first type crash of which can alter this type CG measurement a little.

Thanks,
Pilot Ray
Old 09-25-2005, 03:59 AM
htjoel

Hi Guys,

thanks for heads up on prop Pilot Ray! I'm planning on tossing the Sky Hawk into the air tomorrow if the air's not too choppy. 10-15 mph+ for the last 2 days but supposedly calmer tomorrow.

My CG ends up almost 8 3/4" from nose of Hawk's prop, is that about right? I've noticed that Badius CG's in recent posts are at exactly the same location sooo...

Please let me know if I'm too nose-or-tail heavy, THANKS in advance!

Hollywood, I'd like to take a step up into in-flight vids and I'm looking at the Octave Multipod 5-in-one. Supposedly weighs less than 1 oz. and I like the fact that it's self-contained. Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joel
Old 09-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

only 3 flights this week (and 1 crash on take off). hoped to do a flight today at this local club, but it was their open day and it was quite busy. i dont really want to fly in front of strangers anyway. joined this club , which has a really nice field. got the ok to fly during the week when no one else is around. dont think i'll go much on sundays as my japanese is crap, but once in a while when i feel like it maybe. nobody flies warbirds it seems, but however, they all seem to have a healthy interest in flying and some even wished they could fly real planes, so there are normal people here after all. it seems like everyone has been flying rc for 20 years were as i can hardly do a roll !! anyway, the university glider club were i normally fly seems to have stopped due to the death of a pilot there. i didn't think it was a safe club anyway, but if they had let people like me in, although i am very inexperienced in gliders, i do know something about flying safely and a well run public club like the ones in the UK would have been my example. still think the japs are stupid.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:08 AM
RayRay

Dougy,

The Japs only fly Kamikazee Aircraft. The sight of American Warbirds make them nervous

When are you going with a brushless setup on your Stryker?

Still no word from Pappy and Lou hasn't posted in 4 days, hmmm where are those guys?

Tailwind

Old 09-25-2005, 09:23 AM
deathsprial

Well let me tell the short life on my Yard Stick. I found it at a flea market for $10 and it was a good thing because i would never recomend the plane. With a round stick instead of a square one like the slow stick it is really hard to keep everything in line they tell you to glue it once you get it in line but with the center of gravity changing all the time this would to to hard to do so I put screws through everything so i could move them. It flew really well for its short life I took it off flew it around for a little while then comes this voice from behind me(Brent) will it loop so i had to try it and it did fine then comes will it fly inverted so we tryed that and it didnt like that to much. I so i flew around for a few more minutes then i tryed another loop it went 3/4 the way around then would not pull out i froze thinking it would right it self but that never happened and dove WOT right into pavement. Well i have never done so much damage to a plane in my life who said carbonfiber doesn't break. It just exploded plastic pieces everywhere i drove the gear on the Himax motor into the motor. the 3 cell Lipol got destroyed. I told Brent that i need to add a broom to my flight box. Luckly the servos and the reciver are ok.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 PM
RayRay

Hi Howard,

Just as I suspected. It's all Brent's fault with his grand ideas of looping and flying inverted.

Ray Ray
Old 09-25-2005, 01:07 PM
iflyatcae

Peer pressure... tisk tisk tisk...
Old 09-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Airbourne in Japan

hey RayRay, they may only fly zeros on kamikaze missions, but one day i'm going to shove my Brit spit squadron far up their noses. i've bought 3 now, but my glow spit is going to be mega !!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:45 PM
RayRay

Brent, Doc, Hollywood,

Thanks for the link. Read all the electronic mumbo jumbo. It's all greek to me. Flew the BP-21 Stryker with the CVS cam today and WOW!
The extra 5.5oz didn't make a noticeable difference. It was interesting to watch the video (cam has a playback feature) and see exactly how far beyond the field I was and how high I was flying. I had an idea of how far past the park perimeter I was flying but man seeing is believing! This little cam is "boss". Now all I have to do is figure out how to make a cable to get the vid into my computer so I can share it with you guys Lots of fun.

Tailwind

ORIGINAL: afineman

Ray Ray, Ray Ray, Ray Ray

Everything thing you need to know is here http://camerahacks.10.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=13?

ALL

Tomorrow, Howard and I will be flying at 10 AM . I will bring Godzilla as well as a few other planes, Videos will be abundant, I'm hoping to get synchronized on-board/ground video [8D] of Godzilla.

After I do the weight test flights, I will be putting my Nikon digital Still/Video cam on Godzilla.

My goal is to fly it at 399 feet and 11.9 inches with some LIVE video. I think with Apple picking season, coupled with the farms going orange (pumpkins), it should be some good contrasting video.

Hee Hee Hee

Later ALL

Brent

Old 09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Airbourne in Japan

its interesting all my non flying models of german ww II planes don't have swastickers on their tails like i thought they all did. i noticed this a few weeks back and it smacks of political correctness in toys. well anyway, i am pleased to tell you that that mr Liu (if that's his name) of gws has no such worries and the gws me109 i'm building is splendidly sporting gawdammed swastickers on it's tail. actung spitfire !! just need someone else flying warbirds and some servo rigged airguns and sounds !! as for pearl harbour part 2, i'm afraid the japs lose as their fleet is only 1 zero !! can you tell i haven't done much flying recently ? what dribble will i be coming out with over winter ??? going to the new club today if i'm not too tired and the weather is ok. looking forwards to that.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
htjoel

Hi all especially Sky Hawk owners/pilots,

Took my brand new Sky Hawk for a maiden flight yesterday. I already have 2 Shun Da Cubs and I thought that the Sky Hawk would exhibit the same, if not better, flying tendencies. NOT!!! Well, let me clarify...

The batteries that the Cubs came with were stamped with the 'HFR' logo and the Sky Hawk came with a similar battery but it was stamped with a 'KAN' logo. I cycled the battery 3 times w/ a multi charger and then placed it freshly charged into the Hawk. Hand launch went OK and then it started porpoising (diving and climbing) even though I had the plane at WOT. I tried a gentle turn to bring her down and heard the motor 'surging' (revving up and down) until it finally cut out about 20 ft high and lawn darted into the ground. Ripped fuse, broken canopy cover, broken battery holder, broken on/off switch. I prepped for the maiden by checking trims (all zero), checking CG (approx 8.75" from tip os prop spinner), and making sure the battery was freshly peaked.

I tried the 'KAN' pack in my Cub and could only get the Cub to maintain run by starting with throttle maxed and then pressing arming switch. Same result in that the Cub's motor would surge and then slow down. Also, only about half in terms of run-time length was achieved with this new pack, and only when I started it via WOT then pressing arming switch.

I have successfully flown 2 Cubs, a PZ Decathlon, a PZ Cub, and a ParkFlyers Cessna; kind of disappointed that the Sky Hawk died so prematurely. Am I doing something wrong or is this KAN pack just not working right? BTW, other owners of SDM products have experienced problems with these packs ( early motor cut-off, surging, etc.)

HELP!!

Thanks,
Joel
Old 09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
RayRay

Hi Joel,
Ooh Noo, sorry to hear about the Sky Hawk maiden. I just looked at my Sky Hawk and Badius stock batts and they are stamped "HFR". Don't know anything about the "KAN" packs.
If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage of the batt after you top it off.

When your about to launch the Sky Hawk at WOT, you should feel the plane trying to pull out of your grip. If your batts check out, I would suspect the motor or ESC is faulty.

Bummer []

Tailwind

Old 09-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Pilot Ray

Hi htjoel,
Sorry to hear about your Sky Hawk plane bad first maiden flight. Your Sky Hawk CG maybe way off if the CG measurement was 8.75 inch with the battery installed. When using my CG measuring method (see photo below), the original stock CG point on the Sky Hawk should be 1 1/8 inch (longer) further back than that . I use that type of balance method to find my planes CG with the battery installed (slow to setup but tells me more). On my planes, I mainly only measure from the main wings leading edge heading rearward to the balance point to find the CG location under the main wing. I started using this CG locating method starting last year after Capt. Randy posted photos of that method with his planes.

My original Sky Hawk battery packs are also HFR, just like RayRay’s plane.

Also htjoel, the Sky Hawk fuselage can generally be straighten pretty easily to fly like new again by using some finger pressure and reverse bending at any kink areas. When it comes to the battery holder, I personally made a new better battery holder for mine since they are only held in by screws, so you could do the same. The canopy can be repaired with 30 minute epoxy if you have pieces.

Also, the Sky Hawk motor rpm should never do any surging if it is operating correctly.
The main thing though, before flying again, is to double check that 8.75 inch CG measurement for it maybe way off depending on how you are measuring it. When measuring CG using the balance method I use and measuring from the props cone point and back, I think 9 7/8 inch CG is pretty close to the original stock setting and you should start with that measurement for first time flying. Once you get some flying time in to see and learn how the plane reacts, then you can try some things to fine tune the plane including changing the CG some to make it fly even better.

Thanks,
Pilot Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33463.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	329711  
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM
htjoel

Thanks Guys,

I think it is the 'KAN' battery which is faulty since my HFR packs have been nothing but good for me. I'm going to try and get a hold of the eBay vendor that sold me the plane because the KAN pack actually melted through the monokote/shrink-wrap coating the cells[].

I know you have purchased stuff from Raidentech before and I believe that this is the same outfit that I won the auction from, only under a different name. How is the customer service? Is it worth it to try and get another Hawk from them or am I just spinning my wheels?

Thanks guys,
Joel
Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Airbourne in Japan

first flight at akita rc club. had to phone the local airport before and after, slightly complicated by my crap japanese, but i spoke English to the guy there in the end. had 4 excellent flights, 2 on the f27 and one each with the corsair and the pc 9. the corsair has flown 3 times now really nicely and i'm enjoying not fixing it. the pc 9 re-engined now with my standard himax 2816-1220 outrunner isn't as fast as the himax 2025-5300 and gearbox, but it's a small plane anyway and i figured after the motor mount snapped in half, it would be better for aerobatics training as i don't have a plane that rolls (and this rolls nicely) and it's 4 ch anyway and now i've got the bigger formosa for speed runs. some wag on the pz mustang thread said you don't need to worry about c of g using lipos instead of the stock heavy nimh bats (that i've had trouble with) and like a fool i believed him and the mustang flew real tail heavy and spun in after the second turn. remarkably it wasn't damaged despite nosing in from 20' up and i launched it again, but it went straight into the ground pulling out the gearbox. i'm always reparing this plane !! really nice runway at this club, much better than the other club (with no members except me !!)
Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Diggidy

Hey all,

I bought the Yamato 40 from Raidentech about six months ago. It's a gas plane which i am trying to convert to electric. My first attempt i put on an AXI 2820/10 with 2 Three cell Tanic 2500 mah lipolys in parrallel for 5000 mah with a Jeti 40 amp Esc with a BEC. Oh yeah and an 11x 8 APC prop. I went to the flying field 45 minutes away from my house that RayRay and i fly at and tried to maiden it. The field is 3 soccor fields long and grass.

I gave the plane full throttle and it started to roll out. It went maybe 50 feet and stopped. It never really got enough speed to take off. At best the fastest it got was a fast walk maybe a slow jog. I gave it a couple of seconds and tried it again with the same results. I did this several times until the motor kept cutting out after 2 or 3 seconds and it didn't move.

I felt the motor and it was hot to the touch to the point that you couldn't touch it for more than a second. I then took the wing off and felt the ESC it too was hot. Hotter than the motor in fact.
Earlier at home with my whattmeter i tested this setup up and it was pulling 47 amps. Well over the rated 40 amps for 60 seconds for the motor. And i'm assuming over the rated 40 amp Jeti esc. So unfortunately i had to go home that day. Just as a point of information my 2 Tanic packs in parrallel were not even warm in the slightest as in parrallel they can put out 60 amps.

Well i love electric and i don't want to go to gas. But i really want to fly larger glow sized planes. So if i can get this 6 pound trainer to fly well i can eventually transfer all the equipment to other approx 6 pound glow planes. SSSoooooooo.

I just dropped 500 dollars at Hobby Lobby.

I just ordered the brand new on the marked AXI 2826/08
Jeti 70 amp ESC OPTO (no BEC)
UBEC which takes the place of the BEC inside of smaller ESC's
And last but not least 2 Kokam 7.4 volt 3200 mah lipolys rated at 20C to deliver 64 amps at 14 volts. With a series connector of course

If this won't get that damn plane flying i dont' know what will.

Wish me luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.