Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

hey AJ, the s400 should be ok with your stuff. lots of people's next mod was to use an 1100mah bat for longer flight time. good luck !

hey Diggedy, sorry about your plane. can you fix it ?

went fling today, 2 flights on the glow tiger trainer. 10 mins into the first flight the motor stopped and i did a good dead stick landing. seems like my practice and training paid off. even landed on the runway. second flight was fun, practice approaches and landed on the runway again. however, glow fly faster and are heavier and especially trainers have lots of lift from the wing and they approach faster and float for a long time. flaps would be really interesting. one day i'm going to have a glow plane with flaps and retracts, preferably a warbird. first flight was on the electric CAP. i've got it balanced now by adding 1 oz of lead to the firewall and it flew nicely, but after 5 mins got away from me and went into the jungle. finally found it in a tree, no damage, which was a releaf. the hyperion motor doesn't pull a lot of amps and i'm using a 1500 mah 8c kokam, which is all that will fit under the canopy, but i'm wondering if the motor stopped because the bat isn't big enough. anyway, i'm only flying this at the other club now. the wattage wild cat flys great at my glow field.

found out my friend's 'badius' is actually a laishing 'thunderbird' sold as a badius, which explains the differences i posted about. he's off to Israel for 7 months and is going to get a full sized pilot's licence. get this. his japanese girlfriend wanted to go for a week and has worked at the same company for 15 years. they wouldn't give her any time off. were am i living ???
Old 10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
AgCat1982

Just making a point. It happens all the time. That heavy plane is going to take more air speed to get off the ground. Lift a little too soon and that is what will happen. That's why I asked if he was sure something came loose.

Good luck with it!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:26 PM
RayRay

Hi Ace,

As Doug said, the speed 400 with a larger batt 8.4v 1100mah works fine and achieves longer flight times. Diggity was flying with a 480 motor in his Badius yesterday and it flew really well with a 2 cell lipo.

Careful when you install the CF tubes in your Sky Hawk wing. I used a soldering iron to melt the foam and went straight through the wing. The grove was way to big for the CF rod. I used a lot of Gorilla glue and made a mess.[:@] If I had to do it all over again, I would carve out a smaller groove so that the CF rod is snug and flush with the top of the wing. Use CA instead of Gorilla glue, its much lighter and doesn't "bubble up" like Gorilla glue does.

What else are you flying besides the Sky Hawk?

I'd like to welcome to the new guy that flies the Omei & Skyhawk. Sorry, but I forgot your call sign.
Drop a post and let us know how your flights are going.

Thanks,

Ray Ray

Old 10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
RayRay

Sticks,

I'm very surprised at you! You ignored my question to you in post #5158. For shame. [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

RR
Old 10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
AgCat1982

Sorry, I can't fly it without some else tossing it for me and haven't had anyone to do it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 PM
AJ1202

Just got back from flying SU27 during lunch, finally got it ballanced out after installing 160 motors on it. this is the little cheapy you can buy on ebay for 39.99 but it's pretty quick with these motors, anyway I just broke both props on last landing, major down side to belly landing this thing, about every 3rd to 5th landing breaks props. does anyone know where I might be able to get props to fit it, I had used some from another plane and cut them down but every time I go full throttle it wanted to go vertical and then stall so I pretty much have to have same size that came on it
I think I'll look at raising motors up to keep props off ground but now I just have to find some. Been looking on net but can't seem to find any
I don't know the exact size but I think it's 3x3 pusher I know it's 3" long
You know this thing is good practice for when I decide to get a Styker, at least I'll understand how this plane style reacts and fly's
Old 10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
RayRay

Sticks,

Wait a minute....your waiting for someone to toss you off???? [X(]

Tailwind

Old 10-20-2005, 12:56 PM
AgCat1982

You got it!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Self Induced tossing is still legal in AR.
It's called a bungee. Jeeze Rog, that's what the hook on the front is for. It's not so you can hang it on a wall. LOL

R/R,
Dremel with a router base makes nice clean slots in foam, and you can set the depth.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:22 PM
AJ1202

Ray Ray
thanks for tip on CF tube in wing, I had read your post on using solder gun and was gonna do that, I must have missed the part about going through wing and making a mess, I just thought you used gorila glue by choice
I try to fly Sky hawk at least once a week usually Sat and Sun weather permitting
I have GWS Beaver totaly stock that I fly as much as I can, Weekends, lunch time
I have a little SU27 cheapy that I mod motors and made much faster so it's pretty cool
I used to have FB Commander till winds took it away, does that count
I have a FB Outlaw but having problems with it, I think antenna is messed up at board because it fly's good about 50 yds then just shuts down, but if I follow it it will keep flying but thats no fun, getting too old for that besides I don't fly it, it's one I bought for my son
I am fixing to get a Formosa and learn how to fly with ailerons, I'm really gonna need help then I think, but I hear formosa flys good
The wife say's I'm getting addicted to this
To that I can firmly say no I'm not
I already am
Old 10-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Diggidy

Roger and GG,

No i'm not sure if one of the aileron pushrods came loose. But it was the only thing i could think of. They were both working on the ground when i checked just before the flight but i thought that maybe one of them worked loose after takeoff.

I believe that you guys are right. I probably stalled it. I tell you what it came off the ground and jumped up to about 8 to 10 feet in about 15 to twenty feet of runway. That's when it started to roll left then nosed in. Next time i'm gonna keep the nose down and get the speed up.

Thanks for the info guys i feel better now. At least i know it was pilot error and not the plane.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
AJ1202

GG
Thats an excellent idea [sm=thumbup.gif], I have a router and all the tips I need, that way I can control depth and make a straight line as well
Thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 03:16 PM
AgCat1982

Hey, not trying to be a downer! Was just something to think about. That was some of the problems that I was having with my cub and I didn't realize it. It takes off so quickly that I try to pull it on up and, hence, the stall! Tips to the left. I have noticed a lot of guys complaining that their plane won't do anything but turn left and cartwheel. I hesitate mentioning the possibility because, most people don't want to think (my self included) they screwed up! That doesn't mean that is what happened in your case.

Is it going to be easy to repair?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
AgCat1982

GG, what hook?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Diggidy

Roger,

I'm not sure how easy it's going to be. I'm gonna try and post pictures tonight.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Airbourne in Japan

hey AJ, try gws props for your su27. they are available in small sizes. check out tower hobbies if you can't get them locally.

hey Roger, hand launching the stryker is easy, especially as it has the hand holds underneath. go on, give it a try !!

for putting cf rods in the badius wing, i used a hobby knife on the underside to cut a groove. you don't have to put the rod in completely. then i used epoxy. you might find unless you use foam safe ca, it eats the foam. putting the rod on the underside is better as on top will disrupt the airflow.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
ktaylor

AJ,

Here's where you can find some inexpensive props that will fit your 160, they're the same stock ones that go on Liz's plane. http://www.raidentech.com/sdwhcr3rcrec.html They're pusher style, and they just press fit onto the motor shaft.

Speaking of Liz's plane, I finally have the stuff coming to get it running the way it should. Couldn't get enough power out through the stock badius ESC,, so I have an ESC for a Zagi twin coming. Should do the trick.

OK, I'm off to try my test flight of the brushless badius.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
AgCat1982

You don't understand, Doug. I only succeed one out of three attempts! I will loose a prop every time I fail. I am tired of buying props! I don't know what the problem is. I have done it several times, it's just I fail a lot more. I give it a good toss and, before I can hit the elevator, it belly smacks the ground! I miss it by 1/4 of a second! I start it out with some up elevator. If someone else throws it, correctly, it still starts for the ground, but I am able to level and pull up.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
afineman

Hey All

HOLD off on buying any brushless motors. I guess GWS is just about to introduce their line

Now watch those prices fall Hee Hee Hee

This post is from the GWS CEO directly

Brent

ps " It's my Friday and I can drink if I want to drink if I want to drink if I wan to" ( Sung to the to the "It's my party" song )

Yesterday, 10:17 PM

GWS4CEO Houng-wen Lin

DungGwan,
China. City of Industry,
California.

Don't waste your money to buy others BL motors!

If you know how GWS is going to promote our BL motors.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Airbourne in Japan

hey Roger, i use full throttle on the stock f27 and hold full up elevator and give it a reasonable throw and it launches every time. i think you need to hold full up elevator BEFORE launching
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 PM
iflyatcae

That wasnt my problem, I tested the voltage and it read 8. 12v. It was more like it couldnt get the jolts to the motor at the right interval to get the thing to start spinnin. this is hard to explain. Maybe I'll make a vid...
Old 10-20-2005, 06:45 PM
ktaylor

IFLY,

Forgive me for not knowing what you're using,, are you using a brushless motor? If so you might want to take a look at your ESC. On my ESC, there is a little connector on the end of two wires that will set the motor cut off voltage. The one I'm using from Balsapro has a 7.5 volt cutoff for 3 cell lipo, and a 5 volt cutoff for 2 cell lipo. If you're using a 7 cell nicad or nimh you can easily see a voltage drop close enough to that 7.5 mark. I know because I couldn't figure out why my motor wouldn't start, just shake & shimmy. Figured that out, ( it amazing what reading instructions can do, i wonder why I don't do that from the start,,,,) then it did ok, but I also found out that once I turned the brake function off, then it started up much smoother as well.. DUnno why. And iof you're not using a brushless, then forget everything that I just typed. And also, I barely understand what how or why brushless works the way it does.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:51 PM
AgCat1982

Doug, how are you doing that? I am right handed and have to throw with my right hand. The elevator stick is on the right side and I can't hold the tx and the elevator stick at the same time, so..............got any tips? How are you doing it?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:15 PM
ktaylor

ok now for my impressions of brushless.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe how well this handled the wind. Yes, wind. I looked on the weather channel, they said 14 mph with 20 gusts. I stepped outside, no wind, waited, felt a slight breeze. Weather channel must be mistaken. Drive for 20 minutes to the nice big harvested soybean field. WIND!!!!!!!!!! I get the plane out anyhow, thinking that "ok, i'll just see if it can make any headway into the wind, keep it about 5 ft off the ground & land it. Yeah, riiiiight. The wind was making the plane try to lift out of my hand. I run up the throttle a little, ok, interesting, give it more, the plane simply floats away from my hand, no toss, it just leaves my hand. AWESOME!!! Then the sucker climbs! It took off big time. OK, Fly it. It's up about 50 ft in 5 seconds or less. The winds is horrible in this big field. I cut the thottle way down, it almost seemed like the plane was hovering it's way to the ground. I get it down, & check it over. The Esc isn't warm, everything else is good too. Start the 100 yard walk back to the car. The wind just dies. Nothing, It's gone. I wait to see if it's teasing me for a minute or so. Nothing more than a gentle breeze. The retard in me says "uh huh, fly it fly it" So, do I listen to reason or the built in retard? The built in retard wins.

I launch the Badius again. It takes off like a rocket. I could not believe how much faster it was than before, just using 8.4V batts. It goes out about 50 yards, Start to climb, at that same moment the wind came back with a vengance! I learned an important lesson. If your wings are held on with rubber bands, check them for cracks. Any guesses as to what happened? The rubber bands broke. The wing goes floppity flop off on its own, & the fuselage dives for dirt. The collet adapter got pushed up the shaft all the way to the mount, one of the folding blades broke off at the yoke. OK, time to go home.

The only blades I had left for the folding prop were the 8 x5, & the 6 x 4 stock badius blades. Ok why not,,, So I put the stock blades on. THey fit nicely. Time to go try flying again . There I go listening to my inner moron again. This time I go to the school whre I usually fly, 5 minutes from home. The school field is surrounded by trees, so the wind isn't as bad within 20 feet of the ground. I get it up in the air again. AWESOME FLIGHT!!!!! I managed to use up 1 8.4v 1100 mah batt. It seemed like I had the plane up forever. Climb rate is awesome, level flight at less than half throttle, no problem, could accelerate to full throttle for quick bursts (tried to keep it under 10 seconds at full throttle.) It handled the wind with ease, just had to fly with the wind in mind. I did manage to get inverted accidentaly. I was heading into the wind & turned to the left, the plane just rolled right over onto its back when the wind caught it, went ahead & ran it through the second half of a loop. Oh, loops were cool, it didn't matter if I dived first or from level flight. I'm gonna try a few more times with the Nimh batteries, then I'll go ahead & start charging the Li_po batts.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
ktaylor

Roger,

It's in how you hold the TX with your left hand, try holding it like this. Then throw with your right.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63780.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	341726  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.