Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The Badius Owners Club

Old 02-12-2006, 01:22 PM
icejay55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Badius Owners Club

hey agcatsbest

I never a heli before i started flying the day i got it for xmas the only flight time was on the sim but its not the same. don't get me wrong i crashed over a dozen of times when i got the heli my fiance got me over a dozen of replacement part especialy the plastic rotor head. the only way i can fly the cx model outside it has to be calm 0 win. the cp model you buy the conversion kit for 30 dollars comes with brushless motor and carbon fiber blades so you can do 3d and it flies great outside with 5 to 10 mph winds. but one thing you should do is change all the plastic parts to aluminun parts so if you crash the only thing that can break is your blades.

Oh and yes i am a coast guard i am a lieutenant in the coast guard and if a few more month i will become a captain
Old 02-12-2006, 02:05 PM
AJ1202

Ice, great vid of the heli, looks like you have been flying them for years

Ken, the Stang flys good with that wing, I have mine all put back together now so just waiting on wind to die down so I can fly it again. I think I'll have better flight this time since I have it set up with TX I'm used to

I'm thinking of building a profile A-10, I have everything I need except the fuse, might work good. Hmm have to think about that some more..... OK thought about it enough, sounds good to me Next build A-10, after I fly the Nasty and make sure I can fly a profile plane
Old 02-12-2006, 02:19 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

Lou;

I have been told tht either the futaba 3110 ($14.99) or eflite s75 (#12.99) will work as well, and they are cheaper.

Ice: thanks for thie info. Wifey wants to go shopping now [:@]

Wingnut: Missed the 2 servos for sale. Oh well I found some cheaper alternatives…

Blisters: Before you buy the polk radio, take a look at this :

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM2460
Old 02-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

hey Kent, i like the 'nasty', looks great ! was that scratch built did you say ? did you use and c/f rods with it ?

hey GG, wattage are now doing a stuka, $99 check out http://www.globalrcmodels.com/rc_mod...tage_stuka.htm it's more than the hobby people's never in stock plane, but it DOES come with the wonderful cobolt 400 motor. just ask Lou what he thinks of that !! they also have a couple of other interesting planes (oh dear), the simple http://www.globalrcmodels.com/rc_mod...0_electric.htm which is only $42 and this excellent tucano, the nicest i've seen. http://www.globalrcmodels.com/rc_mod...o_electric.htm
may have to buy some !!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:02 PM
AJ1202

Doug, Thanks, it is a scatch build, GG sent me the plans to download. I followed the build plans except I had to make a couple little changes, I used CF in fuse and wing, I have now put the 480 geared monster on it and am trying to finnish up the last few details now, if weather allows I'll maiden it tomorrow. Should be a screamer with the 480.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
iflyatcae

Hey brent, I just figured out why I didnt respond to you. You had called me andy, and I didnt really pick up on it that you were talking to me. Im ryan. No harm done, just need to get some razors so I can slit the wrists a little [X(]. Only kidding. Whoever gets it next, I'll take it after you. Im ready for it .

Electrically inclined.....
Do you know if an aiptek switch would work on any digital camera? the one I got has been used on at least one other type of cam, and I was wonderin if it could work on any of them. I would think it would because all it does is send an electric pulse to it. thanks

Ryan (Sundance)[8D]
Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 PM
afineman

Andy / Ryan

You all look the same to me Hee Hee Hee

Ryan Sorry about the CRS disease.

Howard and I flew yesterday, I have video , after I relax awhile I'll do the video and flight report (just finished cleaning all the snow around the house).

OOHH and while waiting for the snow to stop, I got bored, and we know what happens when I get board http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...23#post5032093

No comments needed, but I do (in my mind) make some good points in a non confrontational way.

Here is an interesting fact ( this fact was presented at the AMA meeting, SSOO these are their own word) the AMA membership is a little below 160,000 and the park flyer population is about 2,000,000, now doesn't that put things in perspective

Brent
Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Airbourne in Japan

well i couldn't resist the tucano, it's on it's way. i wanted onwe when i first started buying planes, i was going to get the 1.6m seagull pc-9 glow but i as put off by the pe opl e i was going to buy it from. i'm heading for 60 planes now. just got to gfet the parkzone fw190 and a stuka....apart from that i'm interested in and electric sukhoi su31 and an edge 540 and that should be the lot !! by the way, ak models has a really nice p40 warhawk for about $60. i wanted one of those and was waiting for the gws one, but got fed up and bought the tiny het-rc one. i wish i'd got the ak models one, looks good
Old 02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
deathsprial

Brent and I went flying yesterday and there are just some days that I should leave 5 min. earlier that I did. For the short version I was working on my landings and takeoffs with the Magister and i was getting pretty good at it. I love the new motor cant tell you what it is (I will let Brent tell you that) the motor has more than enough power and the Batteries last a long time. Toward the end of the day i did a landing and came in hot and aimed it right at a fire hydrant and it hit with the wing pretty hard. No damage so in my haste i took righ off again but this time it seemed to jump off the ground. Once i got it up i was having trouble controling it so i whent to come in for a landing but was to high so i went around knowing i was having trouble. I got it out over the electric wires which makes Brent very nervious and for good reason because once i got it over the open feild it went straight into a deathsperial from about 150 feet. I was thinking on the walk out to see the carnage I never checked the plastic wing screws i think they broke when i hit the hydrant and the wings came off in midair. This plane went nose in and the only damage was the motor mount broke. The motor was fine the rest of the plane was fine. I will tell you this is the most durable plane i have ever saw this is the second time this plane has fallen out of the sky with the same results. (I fried a speed controller that time so i lost all control) I would of been thrown out of a club for sure by this time.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:56 PM
AgCat1982

Doug! Sixty planes??!!!!!!!!! You can have your own RC Museum and charge admission! I would like to see that in person!

Ice, from what I think is due, mostly, to our sorry public education system today, many people don't connect the Coast Guard with our military service's! I am not one of them, and I want to thank you for your service to our country and us!

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
ktaylor

Doug, 60 planes???????????????? ^&%^%#@!@!^&()(*&^&%!!!!!!!!!!! That's all I have to say about that.

Terry, thanks for the Link on the TX.

Well, I have hard evidence of why Liz is a Keeper, and why next saturday I'm marrying her. I gots a little story to tell.

This morning I was already up & messing around with the computer when Liz came home from work. I was busy looking at the Polk Tracker III radio system when she came in. She gave me the riot act, asking if I had bought a new radio yet, & why not since she had already gave me the go-ahead. So, I explained to her that I was 98% sure that I wanted to get the Polk radio, and how much it cost, and that I was going to wait for my income tax returns or for next month when I get my quarterly bonus check from work. She kinda freaked out when she saw the price, but when I told it also comes with a synthesized RX and servo * charger & barttery packs & that it is an 8 channel & that it will work for any channel since it's synthesized ( so it will work for any of my receivers) and basically it's the only radio I should ever need throughout my attention span of this hobby. She said,, ok, sounds good & went to bed. So I went around today, doing things I had to do on the only day I have off this week. When I get home, I do my normal thing, get on the computer to see if there are any new posts on the message baord, then she askes me to go get something for dinner,, ok. I get home from that,, and "oh by the way, I bought you that radio" ???????????????? Yep double checked, she bought me the Polk Tracker III . I love that woman.
There is a stipulation. I can't buy anymore planes for 6 months. I already have more than 10. So,,, ok. I can Live with that. She said I can buy parts for repairs, but no buying planes just because I want one. If I break something I can replace it. Hmmmm,, I wonder if I could just buy a new plane fore each crash? No, she knows I can fix them even after a pretty explosive looking crash. She's seen me bring the Yak home in 20 pieces and glue those peices together & go fly it. I can wait for 6 moths. I still have 4 planes to build yet, no biggie.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:01 PM
ktaylor

Ice, I wasn't aware that you are currently serving in the Coast Guard. Thank you.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Ice,
Since you are in the CG, keep an eye out for my eldest, Brett, He got his 100 ton lisc and is ferrying boats from FL to the northeast for the rich and famous. Thinks he's one of big boys now.

Beav,
Wow, Nice job on the Nasty. None of mine ever looked that good. That thing's going to be a rocket on a 480. Mine sings along well on the RimFire o/r. So I can just imagine what it will do with your set up. Piece of cake to build isn't it.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
TerryE

Beav;

What paint did you use ?

Looks very good
Old 02-12-2006, 08:55 PM
TerryE

Brent;

Read your post on the AMA thread.
Well put.
I fly from my backyard, and I would sure rather spend $150 + on models (especially helis ) than AMA membership and field fees.

TE
Old 02-12-2006, 09:00 PM
ktaylor

Doug, You'll like the HET-RC p-40. My Yak is made by HETrc and it flys awesome when I don't have things screwed up on it. The p-40 and the Yak are basically the same plane. The build instructions actually are labeled Yak-1 / P-40. I think only difference between the two is the blown plastic nose cone and the canopy. It's a very very fast plane. Oh, and I kept thinking that it didn't look like I had much aileron throw with mine, but it really doesnt need much.

Sticks, I know what you mean about doing a roll and losing altitude, the formosa and the Yak both do that, But the mustang loses a lot more altitude than they do. I think it's because the roll rate isn't as fast as the other two. Probably the difference between a 36 inch wing and a 44 inch wing. When I have time I am going to re-do the ailerons, either give them more throw, or make them larger. THen I should be able to have a better roll rate so that it doesn't lose as much alt in the process of completeing the roll.

Beave,, sweet looking,, (or should I say nasty looking?) plane.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Airbourne in Japan

well i hooked up the electrics on my katana mini, including the hyperion outrunner, programmed the esc and then checked the motor. first try, prop adapter spun off. put another make on. next try, BANG, the motor pulled the front motor mount off. it is a bit flimsy, but this is the first time this has happened. made a right mess of the lovely big fiberglass colwing. have to tape that up now. luckily it also comes setup for a stick motor mount and i'm going to use an arc motor and gws gb. hopefully that will be ok, but this hyperion motor is quite large on the outrunner and i've been trying to put it in something for a while. damm. hopefully i'll feel like building this afternoon as i want to finish it off.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:17 PM
ktaylor

Doug,
So, is it just getting to be moring time there right now? Have to keep in mind that you're on the other side of the world from here. I'll be going to bed in an hour. Crazy that you actually had your motor mount rip off the front of the plane. Is that a profile plane? It is a 3-d plane right?

For those of you who like the bp-21 motor, plok's hobby has them for $12 each. THat's about $7 less than Balsa pro. Shipping is around $5 So if you get a couple of them, total price each comes out less. I'll paste a link to thier site. It comes out wierd, but it gives another link that says click here to continue shopping. If I didn't already have 4 of those motors I'd buy a couple more.

http://216.86.38.243/POLKS/index.asp?CartId={5EVEREST122EE67-183A-4D54-ABE4-343C3E7EADB4}
Old 02-12-2006, 10:29 PM
icejay55

agcatsbest and everybody else your welcome i have been in the coast guard since i was 19 and now i am 34 and i can tell you this i have seen alot of action out at sea and i have rescue alot of our solidiers so i have done my share and its been alot of fun.

this dam snow is driving crazy cant fly have to stay indoors and out of all days we get 20 + inches of snow and my fiance family decides to show so no indoor flying for me[:@][:@][:@]
Old 02-12-2006, 10:31 PM
seric

I have been itching to get flying regularly again, but it was another windy weekend in Tokyo arrrggg. So I went rummaging through the RC closet and pulled out the old Hirobo Lama XRB ([link=http://model.hirobo.co.jp/english/]http://model.hirobo.co.jp/english/[/link]). Had a blast flying all over the kitchen and living room, and I’m not talking about no 300sqft American style living room. I’m talking about the typical 100 sqft dinning and living (that are of course the same room in Japan). Awesome heli, only problem is it’s the tethered version. Has anyone out their tried the RC version?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:10 AM
ktaylor

Seric, Tethered? I didn't even know they made heli's that are tethered. But as I've never flown one of the heli's ( except in the simulator) I can't say much.

Hey, anyone ever seen a servo connector like this? It's on the one wing that came with Big Red. The wing is not actually for Red, but it came with it, I have it mounted to the mustang right now. Looking at the picture, it looks like the wing is a little crooked, but it measures out to be square with the tail. Angle of the camera I guess. Brent, Looks like the Stang is gonna be a wing test bed for a while until I can get the original wing rebuilt. Oh that servo works, I changed the connector to futaba style. Funny though the servo, even being old, works well, and is a Futaba. I mean it looks really old.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52718.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	407207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82631.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	407208  
Old 02-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Airbourne in Japan

hi Ken, it's not a profile, it's the full fuselage. i didn't expect the motor to be so torquey although the rotor is quite big, it doesn't spin fast. however, the motor mount is a box and the front of it is pretty flimsy. tore right off, i was shocked and upset the motor smashed thru the front of the really nice cowling. however, i think it's going to be a really nice flier and i don't care about cosmetics, only flying quality.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 AM
AJ1202

Paint, we don't need no stinkin paint , I used foam board from Wally world to build the Nasty
I made it heavier than it's supposed to be but IMHO much stronger, and seeing as I'm using a 480 geared motor and 9.6 1000 ma batt I figured I needed it to be stronger. Originaly it was going to be green and red and blue but they were out of all the colors so I went with what I had but I have to say, if I do say so myself, this is they best looking scratch build I have ever made
GG I wouldn't exacly say it was a breeze but it wasn't too bad , can't wait to fly it
Old 02-13-2006, 06:34 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Airbourne

Its a shame you did not like the people selling the Seagull PC9 its a nice aircarft, fly's well, even better with retracts.

Carlf

Sorry if I have missunderstood you but I have the idea that the master Tx on the system you use is not on a sellf cetering switch, when no switches are activated the master Tx should have operation, when the spring self centering switch on the master Tx is moved forward against the spring the slave Tx has control, the trims on both Tx's should be co-incident to prevent massive control differential on trasfer, nothing worse than switching over to half throttle and opposite aileron or elevator trim.

Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 AM
TerryE

God, it makes me feel old when someone asks about the type of servos I still use

Yes, indeed it is a Futaba connector. It was popular back in the Cretaceous Period (1980's) when there were no "micro" anything. I have a bunch of them (5 in my Telemaster, and a lot more in varios other planes / helis.

The downside is that they are not a "universal" type servo, but the are built like little tanks - never had one strip despite some really bad crashes.

A "golden oldie" to be sure

ORIGINAL: ktaylor

Seric, Tethered? I didn't even know they made heli's that are tethered. But as I've never flown one of the heli's ( except in the simulator) I can't say much.

Hey, anyone ever seen a servo connector like this? It's on the one wing that came with Big Red. The wing is not actually for Red, but it came with it, I have it mounted to the mustang right now. Looking at the picture, it looks like the wing is a little crooked, but it measures out to be square with the tail. Angle of the camera I guess. Brent, Looks like the Stang is gonna be a wing test bed for a while until I can get the original wing rebuilt. Oh that servo works, I changed the connector to futaba style. Funny though the servo, even being old, works well, and is a Futaba. I mean it looks really old.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.