Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

stryker owners advisory

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:14 PM
rags_splat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stryker owners advisory

i would like to start out by saying i love the stryker and i highly recomend this product to anyone. i did have an incident today. i will preface this with stating that i had hit just the top of a tree the other day and caused the battery to come out. i didn't think much of this incident because i just picked up the plane and put the batt back in and threw it with no visable sign of a defect. now comes today. i was putting the stryker through some serious paces. as i snap rolled, i fed some down elevater to keep the nose up in the inverted portion of the roll. then RIPPPPP!!! the battery wretched out of the plane. i tried to follow all the parts cuz i didnt know what parts were falling. it turned out to be just the batt, batt cover and the plane itself. the plane suffered no other damage other than what happened on the air. the batt cover was never seen again. but murphy made sure that in the midst of 20 soggy soft muddy acres of land that the battery hit the only strip of pavement available and was beyond destroyed.
after an inspection of the plane i noticed that the piece of plastic that the batt cover latched to was missing!! i am sure that it failed due to the prior jaring that it took. i really cant blame anything but chance. however, this could be prevented!!

1. velcro on your batt!!!!
2. epoxy the batt latch catch if yoiu have had prior "shock" to the plane. (skrew it, epoxy it!! shock or no shock)
3. epoxy a string from the batt cover to the inside of the fuse.(so if you loose the batt you only loose the $27 batt and not the $3.49 batt cover

rags
Old 01-04-2005, 06:45 AM
stevennh

Default RE: stryker owners advisory

I had this occur a couple of times (plastic piece long gone). Lucky for me, both times I was over grass and was able to find the pieces. I just use a small amount of packing tape now to hold the battery case closed. I have not lost a battery since I started taping it shut. It ain't pretty, but it works!

Steve
Old 01-04-2005, 03:11 PM
boss_blueangels

Sorry to hear about that and thanks for the advice.

In a previous topic I posted, I mentioned that I lost the bat pack too, but luckily it didn't seperate from the plane (Thank goodness for that snap on the battery connection!) and I was able to put the aircraft into a nice inverted flat spin, which softened the impact quite a bit. (Not even a mark on the vertical tails) But, as you mentioned I did glue the plastic cover, and before every flight I wrap some packing tape around the battery cover.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Guys,
Have you tried using "rare earth magnets", they have amazing strength,can be got at Radio Shack and some wood working supply catalogs, come in various sizes. I'm going to join all 3 covers together and use the magnets in place of the tape and clips, just as soon as PZ gets around to getting the fuselages off back order.
BJ
Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
rags_splat

yes i have heard of them, and i would use them for many applications in modeling.
i, however, am not sure if i would affix them directly to the battery. i dont know if the magnetic flux could creat a strange "situation" during charging and running.
i know the Radical R/C Micro Stick has its wing held on by magnets like these.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Didn't mean to the battery, the battery cover!!!, I did it to mine last night, pulled it out of the graveyard, fuselage still on back order, I can rebuild it, can make it better,faster, just like the 6 millon dollar man. Glued all 3 panels together, installed a plastic backer under the covers for support, epoxied 2 magnets, one in each end of the fuselage and a small washer on each end of the new 1 piece cover.Snaps into place, have to pry to get it off. But definitely will still use velcro to hold battery in place.
BJ