Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:22 AM
jatoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Tiger Moth

Hi,
I fly the GWS Tiger Moth, and I'm thinking of doing it up a bit. Anyone who's done any mods on one of these or a plane like it, or anyone with any ideas, please post them here. Also, one question, what sort of glue would you use on for the wing struts? I used CA glue, but they've come undone.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 09:32 AM
steve ypsi mi

Default RE: GWS Tiger Moth

Some of the best mods are using Bamboo skewers 10 inchs long you can buy at any store in the utinsels dept or grill section, The first photo is a really good one, cut out a piece of plastic, see the blue or Black looking line, this is a area that breaks very easy, I cut out a piece the shape of that blue line and epoxey it on both sides as this plane as been broke in two right where the landing gear line go's up,The second is using bamboo poked thru the wings and I use either poylurathane or epoxey , third one shows some bamboo under the tail area poked thru and glued, makes the ele really strong, The fourth one shows where I split bamboo and epoxiy it to the plastic struts that came with the kit, they don't flex very much,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32768.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	210896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53005.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	210897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73120.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	210898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89492.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	210899  
Old 01-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Boilermaker1
My Feedback: (1)

If you mean gluing the struts to the wing? If so, use 5 min epoxy. As for mods, due a search on this forum from Tiger Moth 400. There's been other threads related to mods.

Phil
Old 01-07-2005, 06:26 PM
1987tc
My Feedback: (39)

Is it the Pico Tigermoth or the Bigger Tigermoth 400?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:11 AM
dalelvn

I fly the Moth 400 these are the mods. I have made and it flys great , very scale but with plenty of reserve power:
himax 2025 brushless with a 5.3:1 gearbox and GWS 9X7 prop, Kokam 1500 3s li-po packs, added "flying wires "using 8lb monofiliment fishing line from outer struts braces to landing gear struts, also added a 5th channel as i added a bomb drop to mine as well.

Name:	Pn36641.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	212625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46715.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	212626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10431.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	212627  
Old 01-09-2005, 10:43 AM
jatoo

I was referring to the pico, but all ideas are very welcome.
Steve, those wing reinforcements look good. The struts turned out very well with that paint on them. I''ve problems with the struts a couple of times, one time it popped right off in a 'rough landing'. Have you noticed any effects on the flying from those mods? Extra weight/drag?
Also, I'm mainly interested in increasing its scale appearance, particularly the langing gear. The landing gear that comes with it looks really bad. I would need one that's easy enough to make, and would need to be light for the Tiger Moth. I'm also thinking of painting the cockpit black, and putting in printouts of the instrument panels. What paint would you recommend? ie safe on foam?

Alex
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
steve ypsi mi

ORIGINAL: alfat

I was referring to the pico, but all ideas are very welcome.
Steve, those wing reinforcements look good. The struts turned out very well with that paint on them. I''ve problems with the struts a couple of times, one time it popped right off in a 'rough landing'. Have you noticed any effects on the flying from those mods? Extra weight/drag?
Also, I'm mainly interested in increasing its scale appearance, particularly the langing gear. The landing gear that comes with it looks really bad. I would need one that's easy enough to make, and would need to be light for the Tiger Moth. I'm also thinking of painting the cockpit black, and putting in printouts of the instrument panels. What paint would you recommend? ie safe on foam?

Alex
The landing gear is very small dia about 44, I use around 54 to 55 DIA wire and I make the part that go's straight down about 1 1/2 inch longer to the side, this set's it up higher, its fairly easy to bend a new one, I make my own for all my planes
as far as weight go's I believe you loose more haveing the wings flop around, mine weigh about 10 to 10 1/2 ounces, I am going to attach another photo of a stock set of landing gear and one I made with 55 wire for ski's
I will try to put a Hyper Link to one with skis on snow, you might have to cut and paste, no it works, this movie is a TM with skis but the heavier 55 wire and 1 1/2 inchs longer , it will show how much eaiser it is to land with stiffer wire and taller off the ground
[link]http://gwsparts.com/movies/Doc'sTMskis.wmv[/link]

Name:	Pn36852.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	213691