Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Alfa Corsair maiden successful!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Alfa Corsair maiden successful!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 05:45 PM
WWI ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa Corsair maiden successful!!!

I got to fly my Alfa Corsair last weekend and it was great!! It has a MP Jet red outrunner, 18 amp Jeti ESC, and a 2-cell 1320mah Thunder Power li-poly. It flew great with this setup. This is my first brushless plane and I was very impressed. I flew for a while and brought it in to check the battery and electronics temps and they were fine. Launched it again and flew some more until it started to get more windy than I cared to fly in. I cut three little holes in the engine molded into the cowl and a hole at the tail where the tailwheel would be. this is also where my reciever antenna exits. I was a little worried about the handlaunch but it basically flew out of my hand with only a slight drift to the left. It looped and rolled easily. I was a little afraid to belly land a plane that cost this much but it seemed to do okay. Guess it was just new plane jitters. If I can get past the fact that it is a $119 airplane it will probably be even more fun!!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Direwolf

Default RE: Alfa Corsair maiden successful!!!

You did better than I! I built this GWS Corsair as a training bird, so I wasn't worried about looks. I glassed it for strength, and I'm glad I did. Powered with a Himaxx 2025-4200 and ThunderPower 2100mAh 11.1V battery, and a 11.5x4 prop, it has no shortage of thrust. For its maiden flight, I had my brother hand launch it. It launched right out of his hand straight and level and didn't drop even an inch, but it began to roll left. I tried to correct right, but no go. Plenty of left aileron, absolutely no right aileron at all. I should have crashed landed it into the snow right there, but I decided to try to gain some lift and roll it around.... no luck. Stalled it. Hello tree. End of story.

Even though both the wing and fuse were literally cut in half, the damage was relatively minor. Epoxy and tape completed the repairs in a couple of hours, and she's ready for flight again. I lost one GWS micro servo in the crash. I decided to replace the aileron servo with a Hitec HS-81 metal gear, and I've stiffened up the ailerons so they're rock solid. I haven't yet had a chance to fly it again, but I'm sure the next flight will go a lot better. Hopefully, the second time's a charm.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30508.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	212967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53153.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	212968  
Old 01-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Cubano8

Congrats WWI ace,

Try a 3s battery in the future, and you will really get some hi-speed performane
Old 01-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Woody 51

Some tape on the belly will also assist in protecting it from "landing rash."
With the weight saving from using a Lipoly pack, the slight weight increase from added tape will not make any difference.