Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Looking for first time aileron parkflyer.

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Looking for first time aileron parkflyer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Freakazoid
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for first time aileron parkflyer.

Hi all,

Im growing tired of my tailplain controlled accipiter badius, and im getting the urge for ailerons. The tail control renders it helpless in even the slightest winds...

So now Im on a quest to find a nice parkflyer with ailerons on it. It should be tough because I dont have any smooth fields nearby, wich also means it should be able to bellyland. Unfortunatly, that eliminates nearly every aileron parkflyer out there. I was thinking something EPP foam. The skyscooter looked good on video, but on close inspection, it looked perty nasty. The begin-air is nice, but needs flat fields. Someone mentionned the formosa, but not wich one, and since there are millions out there, that also was a dead end.

So, does anyone know a good one?

Ive got a Picojet-combat and an ele-bee on the shelve.
But I think these are a little out of my league, since theire both incredibly fast, and they need to keep going fast keep airborne.

Grtz,
Sven
Old 01-09-2005, 07:45 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Looking for first time aileron parkflyer.

Look at Mountain models.

Take a look at the Magpie. It has a sport wing option and comes with ailerons.

It's tough, is made to belly land and can handle some wind. It might suit you fine.

http://www.mountainmodels.com

BobbyG
Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Freakazoid

Yeh, tobad it wont win any prices for its looks though. I know only 1 commercially available plane that can beat this as far as looks go, and thats a GWS slowstick. Ive seen a couple magpie SP videos aswell. It looks more like a spunked up glider. You can forget a gracious loop from that baby. The price they are charging for a box of crudely cut, unpainted foam chunks, and no electronics or anything, is a bit high aswell.

To break it down: Rather ugly, Flight isnt very interesting, and it costs a bit more then it should.

Sorry for being a little picky, but I dont really like foamlogs with bits sticking out. Id like it to have a fuselage where you can put things inside of.
Thanks for your suggestion though, but ill pass on this one.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Jagzilla

GWS E-Starter is the plane for you.
jag
Old 01-09-2005, 11:36 PM
INeedHelp

I have always liked my GWS Tiger Moth 400 myself.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Freakazoid

The estarter looks cool, I like anything that looks like a chessna anyway, but im kinda stuck on airstrips, I can only handlaunch and bellyland around here.

Also, id like it to be slightly more aerobatic. So I guess it should be a midwinge?

Dunno about the tigermoth, but the 3D version sure looks awesome. Not sure it ll like lumpy grass though.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Jagzilla

E-Starter can do mild aerobatics. A lot of guys hand launch and land them. If not the E-Starter, check out the "Formosa"....fairly easy to fly, and highly aerobatic.
J
Old 01-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Freakazoid

Yeah, ive heard about the formosa, ive got a video from some RCU review on it, but I cant find the review anymore, looks like its gone or something, or the search is messed up. [&:] it looks perty awesome, but arnt there like a ton of formosas on the market? Do you mean the GWS one? And even then wich one, because GWS as 3.

Heres the video: RCU Video
I love the color finish on the wings, it really makes it scream "Look, im a flashy professional stunter".
Do you think they have done something with the motor on that video? It doesnt sound like a brushed motor, does it?

If the one on the video is the standard GWS formosa, I might be in luck, because I think I can re use the patterypacks ive got left from my accipiter badius. Theire practically brand new.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 AM
RickAvery

Freak,
What’s the matter with the sky scooter? It is an aileron plane designed to be belly landed, (a skid is standard). It is a bullet proof, Out-of-the-box flier that is rugged and repairable, & with a brushless motor it’s an aerobatic gymnast that’ll amaze those watching! Worth a second look! Also, the space scooter is much more aerodynamic with a stronger wing and with a brushless motor will cruise level at 65+mph, has a roll rate of about 2 rolls/sec, and will dive close to the century mark. Not for the beginner in brushless set up. It’ll need a small skid taped to bottom for landing though. I belly land all of my planes on a smooth hard-pack dirt runway.
Rick
Old 01-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Freakazoid

For as far as I could see, the motor has some ugly microswitch with a lever on it, to shut down on landing? Not to mention the ugly decalls and the bulging head. It looked nice on the videos I saw, but on closer inspection it looks more like an ugly kiddy plane.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:06 PM
RickAvery

Freak,
The pro II model does not have the 2 channel set up with the whisker that hangs down to stop the motor. It is a 3ch. Plane with elevator, ailerons and proportional throttle. The sticker set on the picture went away with the old 2ch plane. You must be sure to ask for the PRO II model. Here is a pic of my old sky scooter with my home done graphics. Also my brushless space scooter which I now fly. Good luck. Space scooter is on the left, sky scooter on the right.
Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23373.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	213137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96988.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	213138  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Freakazoid

Hmmm, close, but no sigar. I like the jetplane like looks though. But the nose is a total turndown for me.
Also, stuffing everything in holes in side of the fuse rather then toploading, doesnt make it any better. I preffer everything to be internal as much as possible.

Ive got some stunters on my shelve that im not sure about. I think theire a little out of my league.
One is a Pico-Jet Combat. A very tough, but very fast deltawing, that has a terrible flighttime. (3 to 5 minutes)
The other is an Ele-Bee, but Im not sure what to do with this one. People say its severely underpowered when its stock.
Below are pics of em.

Name:	Xu62489.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	213139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34358.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	213140  
Old 01-10-2005, 12:24 PM
RickAvery

To each his own. Good luck!
Rick
Old 01-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Rat1

Maybe it would be best if you design and build your own models. I have a Magpie with the sport wing and have flown it with a kan 1050 pack installed and the perfromance is suprising.

I buried the wires into the foam on mine so the only things you might see are the tops of the servos and the speedcontrol.

Oh well like RickAvery said To each his own I quess. I sure hope that what ever you find will meet all of your expectations.

Might want to checkout some of Mountain models other kits. They have some nice balsa kits that might suit your needs. They also have some kits that cantain a Balsa fuse with a foam wing etc.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 PM
cadetman

Hi All
i have been keeping an eye on this Thread [:-]
am i right in thinking the Formosa review from RCU has to be the Stock Unit?
i plan to get one in the spring and looking foward to it
choosing a new craft is a very precise thing..
when i was choosing a new RPV i listened to lots of good suggestions..
i read all the words.. looked into every suggestion
then i made my choice..
without suggestions we Buy Blind and have no idea what we are purchasing
each of us Must keep suggesting what well know is good for us..
for me it was the Sky Scooter
i made this choice long before i looked in the forums for advice,
i Got Lucky and i Love the Scooter
if i had my choices over i would have bought the Magpie then Scooter then Stryker..
ABC's of the Learning Curve
Cadetman
Old 01-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Freakazoid

The magpie SP looks perty nice on the video, but up close it doesnt look very nice. The one that the little girl is holding on the M-models site, looks a little flimzy to me. Kinda like, slapped together scraps of fanfold. Kinda bricklike, no internal compartments I think. Can someone shoot me some detail pics or some review site or something? Im having trouble googling on this one, I keep getting some dumb bird with feathers and stuff. I woulnd mind looking more into this plane, but its hard to get hold of some info.

The video Ive seen on the M-models site, looks kinda like its got a really powerfull motor on it. Not an ordinairy cheap GWS EPS350C-C motor.. If this is the case, I think its kinda missleading.. You can make every cowpie fly with the propper brushless kit..

Ive been looking at the build manual, everything is fixed with some stingy wood plates, even the motormount is made with 4 plates instead of just a balsa stick. I dont think this thing is tough.. at all.

Also, I think 50 bucks is a little on the expencive side for just a box of simple foam, dont you think? Ive seen a lot of betterlooking ones that where way cheaper aswell. Just look at any general GWS model.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
joseph77

Freak,

In on with the GWS zero, its was my first aileron plane (and still is). The landing gear is removed and i land on rough grass. Flys ok as stock, room inside for your gubins. Im with you, i like my planes to look realish if you get what i mean. That my 2 cents.

Joseph
Old 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Freakazoid

I totally love warbirds, but I thought those where still a long way off from where I stand now. Im just getting the urge for ailerons on my simple 3channel topwing (flat, no poly) glider. Arnt bottomwingers awfully unstable, and dont they hate aerobatics?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:43 PM
cadetman

Freakazoid
so the plane you are looking for is..
slow flying and not too fast..
Sleek looking but doesnt fly's slow
uses the battery packs you have available..
its a mid-wing craft.. possibly a war bird !

Name:	Qo39589.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	213286  
Old 01-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Freakazoid

Yeah, I like all warbirds, spit, me109, mustang, all of em. But most of em need wheels.

What do you guys think about the GWS formosa? Its a dosile little aileron midwing, wheels not required, and it looks fairly cool with the right paintjob. Looky here:

Heres the video: CLICK
Old 01-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Rat1

Most of the guys I see that fly the GWS warbirds do not use wheels. They just belly land them in the grass.

As far as the magpie goes it flies real well with the gws 350C power system. It doesn't have unlimited vertical but it climbs pretty steeply. The model is constructed of eps foam and not fanfold. The wing cores are also cut out of eps foam. Some have just used the wing tape (very thin colored shipping tape) while others have used solite film on theirs. I have to admit that the film covered magpies look very nice. It all depends on your covering know how.

They also have a low winged model that is built out of epp foam that is called the Panic. This is going to be my next model from Mountain Models.

The motor mount is laser cut out of thin plywood and it light yet very strong. You put it together then wick some thin CA into the joints and it comes out perfect everytime. Actually I perfer this concept over the regular stick that is used by GWS and some other brands.

Once the weather warms up a bit around here I will find a video camera and shot some vids of my Magpie.

Name:	Ge94358.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	213424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61709.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	213425  
Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 AM
Freakazoid

Well, I must admit, your magpie looks the business. And is the video on M-Models really with the stock motor? A little hard to believe it climbs and whips like that on a brushed 350.

And EPS foam, isnt that the kind that uhm.. snaps real easy? [:'(]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Rat1

ORIGINAL: Freakazoid

Well, I must admit, your magpie looks the business. And is the video on M-Models really with the stock motor? A little hard to believe it climbs and whips like that on a brushed 350.

And EPS foam, isnt that the kind that uhm.. snaps real easy? [:'(]
You would have to contact Doug at Mountain models abotu which power system he has in the one in the vid.

The model is reinforced with a plastic strap that runs along each side of the fuse from nose to tail and when it is covered with the wing tape (like mine) it will take any abuse you can dish out other then a extreme high speed steep nose in. Yes eps snaps pretty easy but when reinforced and covered it acts like a big ball and actually bounces. If you are crashing that hard then I would stay away from the Formosa and other GWS warbirds unless you glass them or cover them as they are made from the same eps foam. If you want something indestrucatable them it might be best to make your own out of coroplast or something similar. Balsa models are very fragile with foam being more durable but foam models can be destroyed in a hurry also.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Freakazoid

Yeh, a plane thats indestructable, does not exist. But I dont really believe the video is showing the magpie aileron "as it comes". I mean, it whales up on a 80 degree angle at a perty quick speed.. on a 350 geared parkflyer setup? Dont think so. :P Even the GWS slowstick on 400 has trouble with that.

People have been advising me to try my pico-jet combat edition that I bought 2 years ago. I bought it just for parts, it was REALLY cheap, but I kept the airframe for "The day im ready for it". I guess that day has come. They tell me to fly with small throws for a while to get the feel of it, then climb up really high, hit the dualrate switch and go sporty. They say its perty stable, and takes a severe smackdown before it ll bust. Mainly due to the wing being so incredibly fat, and the tough plastic tub thats inside the nose.

I'll see how it goes right after this darn stomachflu wears of. [:'(]
Old 01-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Uncas

MM Dandy Sport.

Flys great on stock power supply. When your ready buy the GT wing and have a truly great acrobatic plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.