Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

looking for good electric aerobatic plane combo

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

looking for good electric aerobatic plane combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 01:59 AM
pedec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for good electric aerobatic plane combo

I am thinking about getting into a park flyer. My pass rc experince has been glow and gas powered caps,pitts which I still really enjoy but would like something I could take out at lunch to the park and have some fun with. I would like something like a great planes Fundango or is there better plane and what motor gearbox prop battery combo do I need. Like I said before I am all new to this electric thing so I need all the help I can get. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:18 PM
FwStingray

Default ML3D

Pedec

My recommendation would be the Mini Laser 3D. I have had this plane for about 3 months and love it to death. I, like you, came from a glow background and this is the first electric I have had that performs similar to a wet model. The kit comes with a motor and gear box but you might as well throw that away (VERY under powered). I picked up a Hacker B20 15L with a 4:1 gearbox and on 8 to 10 600 AE cells and a 10X4.5APC prop the performance is outrageous with unlimited vertical and wicked snaps, spins and rolls.

Here are a couple of links with helpful info about this plane and motor.

http://www.aero-model.com/planes/hac...flightdata.htm

http://www.scalesoaring.com/minilaser/index.htm

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...inilaser.shtml

Regards,
T.J.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24256_12910.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	15435  
Old 09-04-2002, 12:53 AM
genebond

Go for a CrazyMax! For $50, you get an adequate power plant, and something that realy flies, albeit, a little challenged in the beauty department. Check with Hobbypeople.net, or your local Watt-Age dealer.

It'll run on 8x800mah NimH batteries, Naro (CS-20) servos, and flies good right out of the box.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:00 PM
DougBinder

I designed the Switchback for exactly that purpose. The motor/gearbox is only $19 and will give you plenty of performance in a relatively small space.

Doug Binder
www.mountainmodels.com
Old 09-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Cadet

Good to have you aboard Doug! Your model's popularity on other forums will, I'm sure, be duplicated here soon.
Grant
Old 09-06-2002, 09:01 PM
BEC

Echo the Switchback. Two wing options, fixed or retractable gear options.....GREAT fun.

This is my Switchback Sport with retracts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	24747_12189.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	15436  
Old 09-09-2002, 07:54 PM
pedec

Thanks for all the help guys but I think I am going to go with the switchback hope it flys as good as it looks. Is there any upgrade to get more performance or is it good enough out of the box for good vertical performance.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:18 AM
BEC

Default Switchback Upgrades

The stock power system (inexpensive GWS EPS-300C-BS) will give very lively performance (easy outsides) but not true vertical. To do that you'll need to go to something like TJ has in his MiniLaser 3D - either a small Hacker or the Model Motors miniAC 1215/16 brushless on 8 600AEs or the new HECell 1100 NiMHs.

But fly it with the GWS can motor/gearbox first and get comfortable - it's less than $20 - then spend the rather larger sum on a brushless motor and controller. I've adapted the miniAC into the GWS gearbox, but there are variants of the Hackers that come with their own planetary gearboxes. The advantage of adapting the GWS gearbox is that it is what the plane is designed around.

Over on RCGroups in the Parkflyer forum right now there is an active thread about brushless Switchback alternatives, as well as one discussing it and the MiniLaser 3D (which includes the one T.J. pictured above).
Old 10-06-2002, 12:13 AM
simsrc89

I noticed there is a FMS download on the MM website for the Switchback. How do you get it to work?

SimsRc89