Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

J-3 Cub, Aerobird

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 03:28 PM
chudd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J-3 Cub, Aerobird

ok. i have some flying experience and am now moving on from my 2ch plane to something different.
i have narrowed it down to
J-3 Cub (Parkzone)
Aerobird Xtreme
Aerobird Challenger (hobbyzone)
art-tech 4ch cessna (rc-expert.com)

i need some real help because it is unlikely ill be buying another plane from this one so i would like one that will keep me going and exiting. but i also heard the aerobird doesnt have standard reciever and servos in so would be pain to fix or use its parts for another plane? ive heard alot of good things about the J-3 cub, but i am not convinced with getting a foam plane. how easy are they to fix?

or if you have any other suggestions feel free to state them

i need some helpful advice!

chudd

----------------
Old 01-20-2005, 03:57 PM
whiteghostUK

Default RE: J-3 Cub, Aerobird

I personaly would go for the art-tech 4ch cessna ?

This is because I have an Xtreme which burnt out its FET ( speed controller ) and as all the controls are on a ESC ( Control board )

you have to either buy a new fuselage ( quite dear ) or find the parts and fix it yourself []

My next plane will be one with seperate servos, reciever etc so if the plane its self is destroyed ( Crash [:@] )

At least I could salvage the inards and put them into another ARTF plane ! ( Almost ready to fly ) [8D]

Have a small foamy and have slammed the floor many time without much damage [X(]
Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 PM
FallingWithStyle

I agree. I don't know about all of the planes you have listed, but if you are moving on to your 2nd bird you will surely move on again. Choose a plane that uses standard servos and electronics and a standard radio. It will cost you about $200 probably, but when you reuse these parts next time your 3rd plane will only cost $50. It's time to jump in with both feet!

Cheers
Clark
Old 01-21-2005, 03:13 AM
chudd

thanks, is it possible to replace the Xtremes' electrics with standard receivers and servos?
if so how much will it add up to?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:35 AM
chudd

are the foam planes easy to fix?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:38 AM
milky

vote for aerobird challenger......
2 mode
aerial drop module
sonic combat
strong, durable, crash resistant
guarantee succesfull maide flight, well at least you have to know basic rule of thumb of flying
Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 PM
area51south

I have both the challenger and the j-3 cub. I bought the challenger first and had a bit of fun with the cub but I have gone back to the challenger for most flying. As the other poster mentioned it is very tough and with the upgraded battery its fairly quick and the flight time is 3 times that of the cub. I saw you mentioned a product from rc-expert.com -- I would never buy a thing from rc-expert.com the only bad customer service experience I had since I have been in rc was with them. They shipped me a broken helicopter($300.00) and had me ship it back to them in Hong Kong and kept me waiting until the 30 days had passed so I could not dispute the charge from paypal. After day 31 they told me to get lost and I wasn't getting either my helicopter or my money back. So I was out 300$ for the heli and 86$ for the shipping....That was a $386.00 lesson learned. Hobbyzone/Parkzone customer service is terrific and they have always helped with any issue I have had and I own about 7 of their planes and will buy more from them. Hobby-lobby.com has something new that looks similar to the challenger called the wing dragon that you might want to check out as well.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
oslim

Consider the T-Hawk airplane at readytoflyfun.com. They advertise that it uses standard (mini) replaceable components. Don't know how it flies compared to 2-Ch, Aerobird, or J-3.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:31 AM
chudd

just ordered an aerobird xtreme. how tough are they and are they made out of foam?
Old 01-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Duber
My Feedback: (2)

u should have gone with the wing dragon. it is a lot mosre durable then the aerobird and aerobird extreme and the cub. It is also a lot more cheaper. U should have also stuck with a t tail plane instead of a v, the t's are easier to control and u reciver better response from them usually..butgod luck with ur aerobird.

Duber [8D] Flyin' High
Old 01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
carlrich

Vote for Cub.

I bought the Aero bird challenger and it flew very easily for about 5 flights. After few minor wrecks the V tail tends to be less of a V and daily becomes more flat. The bracket that holds it as a V is so small that it can do little to keep the tail in a V shape. The ability to fly, let alone control the plane, drops to impossible in a few months. I even replaced the entire tail section and ended up in the same position. I have since taken the electronics out of it and installed the esc/electronic board, servos and battery on to a Slo-V also by Parkzone/Hobbyzone. I was able to use the same transmitter and was able to buy the parts to make the entire Slo-V for $64.01 at local stores. I also have an EasyStar from Multiplex that I feel is much easier to fly than the ABC and will soar forever just on a small breeze.

Good luck whatever you decide you'll have fun.
Carl