Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

can electric motor run backwards ok?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

can electric motor run backwards ok?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 11:19 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can electric motor run backwards ok?

I found a project ( ive already lost this post once trying to post it so I quit trying) to change a free flight Cox plane 20" wingspan to an R/C model it involves a replacement motor for GWS but I think this motor in a direct drive application will run backwards.. so can I wire it up backwards or is this gonna cost me another $21.95 ESC ... its says to use the stock prop so its not a pusher prop..... any help or donations appreciated........Rog
Old 09-04-2002, 01:42 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what little I know, the small motors can run backwards. The larger ones can run backwards but may need to be retimed to get the most out of them. Why would you need a new ESC?????

What plane are you converting?? I just finished my Highway Patrol Air Cruiser done. It flys well on a Max1 motor 8cell 270 mah nimh pack and the prop off of the Cox Viper.

Dru.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:36 PM
flyinrog

Default Thanks Buzz

I am doing the Viper, where does the Max 1 motor come from, this is the prob I'm haveing ,too many parts, not enough info ...I order an IPS-1BX(GWS) and a 110 Mah 6 cell battery pak.. I already burned up 1 esc putting the battery in backwards, just wondered if putting the motor backwards would do it to....What is the highway patrol air cruiser and who makes it?? is it the same as the viper?
how long a flight do you get on 270 and what amp ESC do you use?? thanks a lot for the help... Rog
Old 09-05-2002, 02:25 PM
blvdbuzzard

Putting the wires to make the motor run backwards will not hurt the ESC. Plugging the battery in backwards will melt it.

The Max1 is from Dymond model sports. http://www.rc-dymond.com/toc.htm

The Air Cruiser is from Cox. It is a small Cessna looking high wing plane with a WS of 21 inch. I am using the 5amp Dymond ESC. It will fly for about 5 minutes with this setup.

The plane is a free flight conversion. I picked up the plane from Wally World for $10.00. I then spent just over $100.00 for all of the micro gear to go inside of it.

Is this the viper twin? or is it a single motor plane?

If you go to this site at the bottom of the page there is a link to the manufacture of the viper.

http://www.letspost.com/forums/index.php

Dru.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:48 PM
flyinrog

Thanks, I have the Cox/Estes Viper single engine from wallyworld too.. same shelf as yours I think... and it was $15 and I too have roughly $140 worth of goodies to put in it.. but its all in my stick (GWS) right now.. your MAX 1 is a gear motor? the one I'm trying is direct drive and it will run backwards ok.. I hope I'm not buggin ya too bad..I found your motor on site but not the link to the plane,, but it is not the twin.....Rog
Old 09-06-2002, 01:08 AM
blvdbuzzard

From what I have learned you can not ask to many questions.

The Max1 does come in a gear drive combo. You pull the motor out and use it direct drive.

Here is a link to the viper conversion.

http://rcguy.tripod.com/viper_conversion.htm

Yes our two planes came of the same shelf. I also have one on the bench to convert to R/C. I was flying my little Hiway Patrol today and the wind blewq it into a bush.

If you take the motor out of your stick you can use it direct drive. From what I have you can use the prop off of your Viper and get decent performance out of it. If mine flys well I will paint it in D-day colors.

The other link to the Viper twin is under the heading of Jetset. If you go to RCgroups AKA Ezone and do a search on the Cox Viper, there is a lot of information to sift through.

Keep it as LIGHT as posible. Weight is the only thing that will KILL the palne. My first Hiway Patrol conversion did not fly. THe second one I reduced the weight by 3/4 of an once and now it flys. So think about ALL of the things you put in it.

Dru.
Old 09-07-2002, 03:52 AM
flyinrog

Default 3/4 of an ounce!!!!!!

3/4 of an ounce!!! dang? I got a GWS prop a 5043 about 3/4" longer than the stock one, I checked and motor runs fine backwards, i hope a 7.2v/150 mAh pak will work ok gotta get some more hours out of my Stick before I tear it down and build this thing (unless I crash really bad before that)cause I cant get more servos and crap just for this little toy ,, after this I wanna look at an IFO , for my front yard when its colder...anyway thanks for your input..Rog
Old 09-07-2002, 01:41 PM
flyinrog

Default shoulda kept my mouth shut!

So I hoof on up to the local school yard at 06:00 this am and I set up the stick to fly, 1st batt pak runs great, musta got about 8-10 minutes out of it , I even got a loop out of the thing for the 1st time , bring it in and let the motor cool a minute , load up the 2nd pak , take it up for oh maybe 2 minutes and decide to try another loop from a dive, well I power dive for a few seconds too long and pa-keek there goes the wing in 2 pieces, , I tried to land it but that pesky prop got in the way of the wheels, jammed the motor mount into the fuseand cracked the gear housing, maybe I can use some soda bottle plastic and splint the wing up, gonna try anyway, maybe I can try again in the morning...Rog
Old 09-07-2002, 10:02 PM
blvdbuzzard

That is why they make EPOXY. Just crash and they will make more. I am unableto fly minebecause of the wind. It is blowing to hard.

Dru.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:29 AM
flyinrog

Default flew today too

back to the school yard same bat time , same bat channel, any how something happened to one of my paks an the connector melted on the charger so I took the small 110mAh pak with me that I got for the Viper project and I got 1 lap around the field before it just started to run out of power maybe I didnt charge it enough,not sure, but I had fun with the other 2 paks anyway.. and thats why I do it............Rog
I fixed the wing with plastic strip and glue and it held up fine, but it was foggy and the plane got wet in flight and wouldnt maintain any altitude without a struggle, I am running the indoor prop , havent found the outdoor prop yet (out of stock) anybody using it??..Rog