Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Spitfire Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Cyberflexx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Spitfire Question

Hello,

I just purchased the GWS Spitfire.
I was wondering if the GWS Spitfire or any of the GWS warbirds could be flown easily with just 3ch. Rudder/ESC/and Elevator.
I havent flown with ailerons and I didnt want to invest into another radio system.

Any input would be great!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:23 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: GWS Spitfire Question

Instead of rudder/elevator/motor, why don't you try aileron/elevator/motor? Would be a good set up for a first try with ailerons. Then go full house maybe on the next plane.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Cyberflexx

GWR
Thanks for the reply.

If i went with the config that you suggested, would the plane turn too fast and get out of control before I knew what
was going on? I'm a new pilot and have about 6 flights under my belt. I figured a rudder would would allow the plane
to turn slower and be more managable. Anyone, Let mw know your thoughts
Old 01-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Cubano8

6 flights? Hum, I would a little concern. Do you have any aileron exp? or low wing exp? Maybe you could try a GWS E-starter 1st, before going with the spitfire.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:09 PM
afineman

Cyberflexx

I too came from a rudder and elevator world, then I bought a Formosa.

I thought I would fly it rudder and elevator only, get use to it, then try the ailerons.
It didn't work, these planes don't fly with only rudder, actually most people leave the rudder out to save weight and fly aileron / elevator only ( this is how I fly my Corsair).

I must agree with Cubano8 and his concern of you only having 6 flights under you belt.

Cyberflexx, you may want to put this in the closet for a little while, and look for a good next step, you may only become disappointed with the hobby if you try to fly this with only 6 flight under you belt.

Just 1 mans thought, Hope it helps
Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Cyberflexx

Thanks for the input..
I think I will keep it in the box for a while and when I do build it, make it ESC/Elevator/Aileron
as was suggested.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:37 PM
gravityrules

Cyberflex, I've been flying for about a year and just crunched my Spitfire into foam chunks yesterday. I'd concur with the others that you should try another plane before the Spitfire. You might try an E-Starter. You can buy the "slope glider" version (less than $30 from www.allerc.com) that does not come with a motor and use the motor from your Spitfire. When you're ready, just move the servos, receiver and esc to your Spitfire.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Cyberflexx

Thanks again....

I have been flying the el-cheapo GWS Slow Stick and on RC flight sims with a serial hook up to a controller. the Stick has done very well, except for breaking 2 props on nose over landings. I also think the hinge tape they supply is very bad, so next time i head to the hobby shop, i am gonna get some good hinge tape.

Also, props for this is hard to find in my area, what alternative props do you suggest? I tried 1 size smaller than the stock prop and it didnt work very well.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like warbirds and you want a three channel set up look into ALpha modles, they do not use rudder , all hand launched but will run you considerably more money .
Visit Hobby lobby for flying film on these planes .
I have flown GWS with out rudder but most are hand launched , the execption was the A-10 , I have taken that jet off with no rudder or steering , its gets off fast , some pull on take off but on pavement its no problem .

However as the others have stated , you may not be ready for warbirds yet .
Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 PM
mrstingray

Regarding the rudder tape, I was on the RCgroups and someone suggested you use 3.5"floppy disk material. Apparently it is very strong and works quite well. Most people can spare one 3.5" floppy instead of trucking all the way to the LHS.

Estarter is the way to go if you want to train. Have flown and crashed many and they keep coming back for more. Nice gentle, stable flyer that can do some minor "tricks".
Old 01-25-2005, 09:53 PM
Cyberflexx

Thanks.. I appreciate all the input that has been given. I think I will check out that E-starter slope diver and put the
motor from my slow-stick in it. This will save me some cash as well...
Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Cubano8

BTW here are links where you could get the E-starter Slope glider for $28.00

[link=http://gwsparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_41_121&products_id=647]http://gwsparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_41_121&products_id=647[/link]

and..

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCL3&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCL3&P=0[/link]