Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

twice in a row i have had trouble with GWS speed controllers, any help?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

twice in a row i have had trouble with GWS speed controllers, any help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 09:32 PM
SBR_RV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twice in a row i have had trouble with GWS speed controllers, any help?

hi, can any help me with a problem im havin with GWS speed controllers. the one im refering to is the ICS 300, a first it worked fine, but then it worked, somtimes only giving power to the servos and reveiver, but no power to the GWS 350c motor.
so i would plug it in again and would get power to the servos and full throttle on the motor(the only problem was i could not controll it, trims were all normal). so i would pull it out and plug it in, making sure im pluging it in right to the receiver but no luck. i took it back to the shop and got a replacment, tried it out andgot the same result, it would work fine, but soon didnt.
Im using a 8-cell 800mah 9.6v battery, GWS 350c motor, Jeti rex 5ch receiver, and high-tech 55 servos all round and of course im trying to use the GWS speed controller. iv tried differnet receivers, different motors, no servos, iv pluged a different speed contoller in while using the same radio gear and motor and it all worked fine, iv tried everthing i can think of[&o]. maybe i just got two faulty speed controllers[:@].
greatful for any help.
thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 AM
gigelus2k3

Default RE: twice in a row i have had trouble with GWS speed controllers, any help?

Could it be that you have a faulty battery pack instead? It's hard to believe you bought two ICS300 in a row and both are defective.

The only time when I had to replace a GWS ECS was when I reverse connected an unkeyed, home built LiIon pack. Thick smoke billowed from it (most certainly showing that the power switch lost its soul :-), but even so the regulator side (powering the radio and servos) survived OK.

Check your battery pack. I'm certain it's either not properly charged or dying or with a faulty contact between its elements.

Serban
Old 01-27-2005, 03:55 AM
SBR_RV

Default RE: twice in a row i have had trouble with GWS speed controllers, any help?

well forgot to say also, iv tried four differnent battery packs three of the were 8cell 800mah 9.6v and the other was 8cell 600mah 9.6v, might be a dumb question but could they be too much power?.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:30 AM
gigelus2k3

I doubt that the GWS ESC has current limiting or something like that. he power is determined by the motor requirements, not by the input voltage (in reasonable situations). The only effect when drawing too much power (i.e. full throttle on a big motor) is the power switch getting hot and eventually burning out.

If no one coms up with another idea, you may be right in the sense that you're unbelievably unlucky. Maybe next time you ask the LHS keeper pick the ESC for you :-)

Serban
Old 01-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that you are getting radio interference from your set up that is causing your ESC to reset itself?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM
SBR_RV

the person i get them of did choose it for me, and i know that he would NOT sell me anything faulty on perpose.
i dont get any interference while using the good SC, iv pluged everything out of the model with things away from each other, IV TRIED EVERYTHING[:'(], or maybe a just got two faulty SC[].
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
WolfeWind

What prop are you using?
Old 01-27-2005, 10:45 PM
WolfeWind

What prop are you using?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Time Pilot

I just reread your original post in which you said:

iv pluged a different speed contoller in while using the same radio gear and motor and it all worked fine.

Then it works, or it doesn't work?

Could be that you have received two faulty ESCs in a row. Not likely, but possibe.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 AM
guapoman2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never liked the smaller and newer ISC-300 ESC for brush motor application.

I've have seen some using the EPS-350 and the 9 X 7 GWS slow flyer and two cells Li-POLY and the FORMOSA flew great. As soon as he changed prop. size diameter the ESC caught on fire due to extra heat build up and ESC shorted out and caused a fire.

I personally like the ISC-400 ESC since it has much more surface area to dissipate heat build up and almost all don't have the heat sink.

Carlos[8D]
Old 01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Jagzilla

I've had no probs using gws esc's. I have owned several of them. If you run more amperage through them than they are rated for and the smoke gets out........oh well, only one person to blame there.
J
Old 01-28-2005, 06:31 PM
SBR_RV

ep-1080 is the prop im using.
time pilot: when i pluged my other speed contoller (which is capable of handeling SP400) all worked fine.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Time Pilot

If all works fine when you plug in an ESC that can handle more amps, I would suspect that there is the problem. There could be a part or parts in your system (including binding of moveable surfaces) that are drawing too many amps and causing the problem.

People are flying on similar setups. Something is wrong somewhere.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 AM

I , too am having a problem with a gws speed controller, my gs-600j, it's brand new, and at anything less than full throttle, a 480 motor, it sputters and the red led flickers, I put in a cheap shun da esc i had and no problems, it does this with a 9.6 batt and with a 8.4 batt. the real issue is that it causes my control servos to 'twitch' when the led is flickering. possible bed esc?