Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

"Super" Stryker... my mods...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Super" Stryker... my mods...

Boss,
Instead of the flap extensions on the ailerons, could the same be accomplished by buiding a new aileron that was much wider at the wing tips vs at the root? I've seen this style before, wouldn't the wider end at the wing tip provide better performance? In my thinking, more at the end of the wing would give better roll control without added lift to whole wing, IE; alieron vs elevator. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm compairing it to the leverage principal. Where as it takes much less force to move something when a longer lever is used. So a flap at the wing tip area will lift the end of the wing faster in a roll than a flap thats lifting the whole wing.
BJ
Old 02-23-2005, 11:28 PM
boss_blueangels

Yeah that'd work I suppose. But since they're elevons, would geve you a bit extra lift on the wingtips when pitching up. But at high angles of attack, the gap will still allow airflow to spill over the elevons.

I'm kinda grounded with my plane right now... I did something wrong and now it ONLY turns to the left, and whenever I do get it to turn right, I get a tipstall on the right wing... Humm... somethin's fishy here... And of course when there are a ton of people at the park the plane flys crapy. :P Oh well, back to the drawingboard. Think I just need to adjust the clevices.

I'm still thinking of how I'm going to modify my elevons... still have the cardboard extensions... I think I will place two pieces of 1/8" stock on both sides of tape hinges, so it doesn't just flop over. That also would help keep the gap open when the elevon goes up.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM
mrfixit54016

Glacier Girl,

My Stryker #2 is being finalized, and I need to ask how you fastened the hinges onto the wing and the elevons? Glue, screws, etc?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 03-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Glacier Girl

Mrfixit,
Foam safe CA and foam safe accelerator, Don't use regular CA on the ailrons, eats the foam.
BJ
Old 03-07-2005, 12:38 PM
mrfixit54016

OK that's what I did. It sure seems like a weak point though. I might still fit some tiny screws in each side of these Dubro nylon hinges. They sure are smooth, and with the HS-81 MG servos, I should see a lot more consistency & control out of this plane than the stock set-up.

Are you still sold on this gapped elevon set-up?

Old 03-07-2005, 04:12 PM
Glacier Girl

Mrfixit,
Gapps, definitley! no more tape
Hinge strength, through the tree, 3 pancakes, numerous cartwheels Aileron broke, hinges never loosened at all
screws = weight [:@]
Bj
Old 03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
chippedprop

hint: use sand paper to rough up the glue side of hinge makes it stick better.
He's right about gap and strengh-you'll break servos before you tear up elevons.flys better-smoother response
sorry to drop in CP your thread bye
Old 03-07-2005, 07:20 PM
cadetman

Hi All
i have followed this tread and i just dont get it !..let me explain
but before i do i just want to state I AM NOT AN EXPERT .. i am learning as i read and write
now i am going to write and it is a forum so i can have my say [&o]
Gaps between wing and control surface Should be a NO NO because it leads to differential airpressure between slow moving air on the bottom of the wing and faster moving on the upper
at high speed this should rip the control surface off but apparently it doesnt !
the leading edge add on's are a STOL (Short Take Off-Landing ) Modification
this was used to extend the lower flight speed of light aircraft mainly in high altitiudes and short runways
the concept of STOL is to force the air to follow the wing at high angles of attack to lower the Stall speed, but the full power flight speed was reduced as a comprimise !
but boss blueangles say's it increases the speed/ performance by upto 50%
and even states at a lower altitude if fly's just as fast !
i just dont get it
Yours Sincerly
Confused
Old 03-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Glacier Girl

Cadetman,
I don't understand how it works either, but I know the gaps work. Maybe cause I'm a couple thos feet above sea level. I'm going to try modifying Boss's idea about the extensions, by building a set of ailerons that are wider (cord wise) at the tips then at the inboard side.
Hey, you don't have to understand it to enjoy it. LOL
BJ
Old 03-07-2005, 09:00 PM
cpmay
My Feedback: (5)

Glacier Girl,
How wide are the gaps at the aileron? Did you try the leadind edge slots? I'm ready to modify my Stryker and am looking for any ideas.
Thanks
PM
Old 03-07-2005, 09:55 PM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

What if one were to make a moving wing like this. where there are 3 antenna tubes on the bottom of each wing length wise. and 3 in each wing lenght wise(leading to trailing). control horns are on the bottom of the flap that push the wires insinde thge tubes to push a peice of leading edge shaped balsa forward that is glued to a sheet of light balsa that has been warped to lay flat on the orriginal airfoil that moves forward all together so it increases the surface area as it moves forawrd creating more lift on that wing as the other side does the opposit while in a turn, when going up or down the surfaces will move identicly not creating any off ballence lift, there should be some packing tape where the edge of the moving balsa wont grab the styrofoam while it moves, the three tube on the bottom are to uide the wire that move the surface, the tubes inside(drilled ) into the eadind edge are for more wires to help guide the wood surface more precicely. I made a pic of it but i am not sure if it will load being from ms paint., also the wires end that connects to the backside under the wood should be bent and epoxied to the wood peice. And about the gaps and hinges yall ben talking about, use the plastic and pinned hinges from hangar 9 or dubro or something, i use these religosly, strong and percices.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47940.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	239967  
Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
boss_blueangels

Wow, I thought this thread was dead a few weeks ago when I last checked...

Cadetman... As for the increase in performance... I just meant maneuvering, not a speed increase. Sure, I didn't notice any significant reductions, but certainly no increase. And you are right, the Slats are a STOL feature, but are also applicable for high angle of attack flight well above the ground.

As for the elevons not tearing off... since it's such a small scale, there are only ounces of pressure per square inch... if it was something larger with a hundred pounds per square foot, the results would be different.

Also, if you look at some ultralights, they have pretty much the exact same thing. I've seen some with the aileron a few inches behind, and actually below the bottom surface of the wing.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:49 AM
cadetman

boss_blueangels
thanks for the clarification
at the time of reading the info i sat there thinking Ehh ! [&:]
i can understand how it will increase manouverability but i am still concerned at the additional load on the control surfaces but as Glacier points out you dont have to understand to Enjoy
Keep up the Good Work
Cadetman
Old 03-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Glacier Girl

cpmay,
gaps are a little over 1/8 inch on current one.

amdhotprocessor,
quite a design! a see a future aeronautical engineer in our midst.
Just remember us when your famous.
BJ
Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 PM
boss_blueangels

No problem. But if you're anything like me... trying to understand it all is half the fun.