Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Wanting to move to a 4CH

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 05:58 PM
b_hauger79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to move to a 4CH

I have the Aerobird Challenger and I really enjoy flying it. But now I want to move to a 4ch, but I don't think I am ready for a kit that I have to build. I've been looking at the Beginair and the reviews that RC Universe did seem to be good. I have read both good and bad about it. I really want to get a RTF so if anyone knows of any other RTF 4CH out there that would be better than the Beginair let me know. But from everything I have seen I think that is the one I am going to get.

Thank you
Old 02-24-2005, 08:00 AM
XhAoHaOx

Default RE: Wanting to move to a 4CH

yep, beginair is GOOD. its also known as the Wing Dragon Sportster and i have the Wing dragon. flies FANTASTIC and very stable. This is due to the huge and thick wings. although i would have prefered the control surfaces to be bigger. There is 1 HUGE flaw about the plane though. It is very sussesible to wind.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
PJSims

I have a friend who bought the Beginair and I am not impressed with it. Aside from seeming to be cheaply constructed, the prop has chewed the living hell out of the wing. Plus the landing gear isn't strong enough to support the weight of the plane and flexes easily.

I, too, am looking to move into 4-channel...but from what I've seen so far, the Beginair is not the way to go.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Mountain_Flyer

it might be a good time to move up to a real radio system and a good quality aileron trainer. The only 4 channel RTF i know of is the Hobbico Superstar EP w/Ailerons http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJKU3**&P=0 .. it is an all balsa plane but the wings come pre covered.. and the RTF version comes with a Futaba 4YF radio system.. this is not truely an RTF though since it will require some assembly.. but its about as close as your going to get in a good 4 channel RTF plane.. but.. this plane doesn't really fall into the "Park flyer" category since its quite large and heavy ( 3+ LBS) .. the only other option i can think of would be to buy a plane that will require assembly like the Magpie or SmoothE from mountain models www.mountainmodels.com they are park flyers and with the SP wing will be 4 channel. i know thats not what you wanted ... but you are kind of between a rock and hard place when looking for a good 4 channel plane..

you will actually save money in the long run by investing in a reusable radio system now.. rather than having a closet full of useless proprietary radios 6 months from now this is assuming your planning on staying with the hobby..
Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

I second the [link=http://www.mountainmodels.com]Mountain Models [/link] recommendation. I had a Dandy Sport that was a very good flyer. Go to their website and look at the videos.

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM
XhAoHaOx

just wrap the edges of the wing and it would not have any problems. also, epoxy the wings together.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:35 PM
b_hauger79

what do you guys think about the GWS Formosa?? I know it's a mid-wing, so I'm not sure if I would have a probelm flying it. I can fly my aerobird on pro mode and do all the loops and tail slides and and touch and goes. I am thinking about this one, casue then i can start investing and getting the servos and things like that. My grandpa has a few 4 ch radios that he said I could have, so that is one expence that I won' t have. I'm not sure. But I have not been hearing good things about the beginair, so i'm thinking I am not going to get it.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:54 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Heres what i say.
Get the formosa out of your mind, if you have only flown 2 channel it will most likely be to much.
I was like you, as a kid facinated with all of these airplane but they were too expensive. The toy models got cheap and I got one 2 years ago, i had about every cheap electric airplane toy available including the 2 channbel airplane you have. But they fly COMPLETLY DIFFERENT.

It was like relearning everything.

So buy a sky scooter, thats the best thing you could do. Trust me, you wont end up with a pile of mashed up snow.

Please read some reviews on it and you will see, its durable, can do mild airobatics, and more. I myself am buying one right now. And im not new, i just like the airplane, great flyer. I will fly this airplane more then others I have.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM
SexyPizzaMan

I got a gas trainer and now i fly airplanes 125 mph. I havent crashed 1 airplane yet. So i think that if you listen to my recomendation you will also soon be crusing 100 mph or more if you desired.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:48 PM
SexyPizzaMan

I just saw you fly the stryker. If so, do you use high rates at all on it???

If you are good at that aircraft the a formosa would be for you. Just remember gws airplanes tend to have an underpowered stock motor, but nothing an upgrade cant fix.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:20 PM
XhAoHaOx

ok, i admit that i am a newbie and have flow only 1 plane, the wing dragon. but its not THAT BAD. taking into account its price, i think its a really good deal
Old 02-28-2005, 06:00 PM
b_hauger79

Sexypizza,
I don't have a striker, I have an aerobird. The Striker is another plane that I am looking at, I just am thinking about getting a plane that needs servos and all that so i can upgrade later. But I have heard really good things on the Striker. They say it's a Level 4 and the areobird is a level 3 (has 3 channels.. ruddervater and speed) so I think I should be able to fly it. Plus I have hears that it is very tough. I'm still about 2 or 3 months away from buying one so I have plenty of time to research so let me know what you think. My Grandpa also has gas airplanes and a trainer cord that he is going to teach me how to fly alerons with, so that should help me out too. Thank you for your input
Old 02-28-2005, 08:01 PM
SexyPizzaMan

if he teaches you to fly ailrons and you get alot of stick time then the stryker may be for you, an excellent airplane, very fast though so make sure your ready.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:31 AM
b_hauger79

I've been reading the thread between you and Sexypizza, and you seem to really like the Sky/ space scooter. I think I am going to go ahead and get the sky scooter. I don't know how often I will get up to fly with my grandpa, since he lives about 1 1/2 hours away. So this way I can still get an airplane that I can fly and not crash. So tell me some more about the sky/space scooter.... Can I use my own radio and tx, or do I have to use the one that comes with it?? What kind of batteries do you recommend? I have seen that you can upgrade the motor, is there any other upgrades you can get? Any other information that you can give me on this bird I would appreciate. Thank you again
Old 03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
crash test dummie

I have a Stryker, It was my 3rd plane. Iv'e been flying since last June. I think you could fly this plane. It is pretty fast though. I can also tell you from experence that it is tough and can be repaired with 5 min epoxy. I don't crash anymore [ha! ha!] so I'm using epoxy less often. The scooter would also be a great choice. I have upgraded my stryker to a HOT Brushless motor, HS-55 servos, Electron 6 receiver, CA'd & taped balsa hinged elevons, and smaller [read as shorter] vert stabs Increases roll rate. WOW!!! It will also slow down very nicely. It depends what you want, I think with stryker replacement fuse only costing $19.99 [if you do crack it up] it's cheep to replace. You can also upgrade later to the Real radio equip you stated you wanted to get. Stock I think it will fly aprox 35 mph level maybe 50 mph or so in steep dive. Some people report I flying 50+mph level but i don't think its that fast. My set up is prolly 80 to 95 mph in a dive and 60 mph or so level. I do deep dives at WOT and straif the ground at 3 FT off Terra Firma and then pull up for almost unlimited verticle!!!!!! Birng 1 pair of replacement underware for every Lipo battery you bring to the field. Good luck with what ever you buy. Let me know what you get.

You should also look at rcgroups.com Do a search on brushless stryker and look at the thread thats named stryker how far can you take it. There's videos and tons of info on the Stryker. It's worth a look.

Crash Test Dummy
ORIGINAL: b_hauger79

Sexypizza,
I don't have a striker, I have an aerobird. The Striker is another plane that I am looking at, I just am thinking about getting a plane that needs servos and all that so i can upgrade later. But I have heard really good things on the Striker. They say it's a Level 4 and the areobird is a level 3 (has 3 channels.. ruddervater and speed) so I think I should be able to fly it. Plus I have hears that it is very tough. I'm still about 2 or 3 months away from buying one so I have plenty of time to research so let me know what you think. My Grandpa also has gas airplanes and a trainer cord that he is going to teach me how to fly alerons with, so that should help me out too. Thank you for your input