Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Parkzone J-3 Cub Or Sky Scooter??

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone J-3 Cub Or Sky Scooter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:56 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone J-3 Cub Or Sky Scooter??

I have a bunch of gas airplanes, I just got my first electric and that was the 3d Buddy. It looks great, havent flown it because of weather but from what I hear its a blast to fly.

Now I just want a simple electric airplane that I can fly on a calm day at the park. Im not saying it has to be a sloth, some speed would be nice. But im mostly looking at reliability. I havent crashed an airplane yet, and thats how I want to keep it, I want the airplane to last as long as I fly it well and dont crash. So what im looking for is an airplane which I can fly tons of times on a daily basis that wont break down on me as long as I dont punish it.

The two airplanes J-3 Cub and Ventura both seem to be excellent airplanes with great reviews. Which one is better?
Are there other airplanes you might recommend aswell? Thanks.

Another possibility is the sky scooter, What flight times are you guys getting, are you happy with the scooter? Very happy with the scooter, or crapping your pants with happyness. Please enlighten me.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:24 PM
geoffbeneze

Default RE: Parkzone J-3 Cub Or Fly Zone Ventura??

ORIGINAL: SexyPizzaMan
Now I just want a simple electric airplane that I can fly on a calm day at the park. Im not saying it has to be a sloth, some speed would be nice. But im mostly looking at reliability. I havent crashed an airplane yet, and thats how I want to keep it, I want the airplane to last as long as I fly it well and dont crash. So what im looking for is an airplane which I can fly tons of times on a daily basis that wont break down on me as long as I dont punish it.

The two airplanes J-3 Cub and Ventura both seem to be excellent airplanes with great reviews. Which one is better?
Are there other airplanes you might recommend aswell? Thanks.
I can't give you a complete answer, but can help a little. After a 15'ish year layoff, I recently snagged a PZ J-3 as my "relearner" plane. Being a firm believer in Murphy, I snagged spares and parts as seemed prudent. My son and I have flown the thing at every opportunity in the past six weeks or so. Of course we've been having some of the weirdest weather for many years.

The little airplane has done a yeoman's job. A few minor dings here and there. One prop shaft, one gear box housing, one strut and that's it. It goes and goes. Two battery packs will give us a hour'ish flight without any real problem.

So, while I can't speak to the VEnture, we certainly have been pleased with the PZ J-3
Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Thanks for the reply, Sounds like an excellent airplane, 6 weeks of flight and the extra parts cost less then fuel. Sounds great. The ventura looks a little faster in videos however speed is not the only thing on my mind, the durability and reliability of the J-3 Cub looks like it may be the winner.

I would still like to have some other opinions. The more the merryer. Weather should be letting up in 2 weeks or so and I would like a new airplane to fly.
[sm=RAINFRO.gif] <-- Dont ask, It confused me so I thought it would be a nice adition to the post.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 PM
SexyPizzaMan

If anyone thinks ventura is better, or has had good experiences with any of the 2 airplanes please let me know asap befor I order, thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 AM
TenTen

I have flown the Ventura as the second plane after an Hobbyzone Aerobird Challenger.

The plane flies great, much faster and more "real" than the Aerobird.

I think the Ventura will handle wind better that the Cub, it should be more aerobatic and much faster.

The quality is similar, the electronics of the Ventura are more easily used to other planes. The charger of the Ventura is crap, the Hobby/Parkzone charger is better but you will need a good one anyhow.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:32 AM
Maine_Flyer

Default RE: Parkzone J-3 Cub Or Sky Scooter??

SPM, the parkzone electronics are weak at best, servos are junk, and their systems are prioritary.. cheap to replace? yes, but the down-time is a downer... ask me how I know..

get a skyscooter... it's a wonderful and nearly indestructable air frame... if you reinforce the wing it'll do all you want it to and more.. check my post to you in your other thread for details.. they have a nice electronics package in them .. very reliable.. reliable is not a word I would use in the same sentence with parkzone electronics.. and it's not the 27mhz that's the issue.. it's the chinsy servo gears, loosening RX servo connectors, sometimes glitchy RX tendancies, if you held the two TXs in your hands (scooter vs parkzone) you'd see what I mean .. no comparison.. can't even tell the TX batts are getting low on the parkzone TX... you get to figure it out after a nose-in.. ask me how I know... parkzone makes some beautiful and nice flying planes, but the electronics leave much to be desired..

rock on!
Old 02-28-2005, 03:58 AM
silverdelt

SexyPizzaMan,
i'll give a firm vote for the PZ J-3 despite what some people say...based on my own experience...simply said..you cannot go wrong with this plane if you want a clean, durable, good-looking park flyer. That's it!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:13 PM
SexyPizzaMan

which will preform tighter turns?? i hear alot about the scooters esc frying. I already have a few of these battery packs for the space or sky scooter.
I would like to see a video of the space scooter and know if it really is worth the extra 40 bucks. Please let me know.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:55 PM
RickAvery

Try a sky scooter. A great aileron 1st plane which is very stable & aerobatic when you’re ready. It’s very tough and when you do break it up, it’s one of the most repairable planes around. The space scooter is also very good but is a bit faster than the sky scooter. The sky scooter will pacify you for months. The OEM 7cell batt. is marginal, put an 8cell in it and she’ll perform very well in stock trim. As already mentioned, the electronics are worlds better than PZ stuff. I’ve used the electronics from one of my crashed to death sky scooters in a flying wing, (the Tx has mixing), and are still using it. The sky/space scooters are faster than the PZ cub, and are more aerobatic. Slow flight is very stable and forgiving making landing a cinch! Good luck in your search.
Rick
Old 02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Well im already experienced, I fly a sig wonder that goes 125 MPH so i think the space scooter will be for me. Do you have a video of the space scooter in action?>
Old 03-06-2005, 11:38 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

heres another recomendation for the sky-scooter pro2..it isnt the best selling foam plane for no reason..