Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

the wattage Corsair does fly!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

the wattage Corsair does fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
ryanf420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the wattage Corsair does fly!!!

A big thanks to all those who gave info on this plane..I pulled the foam from the front of the plane by the motor and put the 9.6v stock batt. to the front again by the motor and w/ the exception of 3 different over trimmed take offs, IT FLIES GREAT! I recommend anyone that is an intermediate flyer that is interested in this plane to seriously consider it!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:30 PM
hueyman
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: the wattage Corsair does fly!!!

congrats ryanf420!! i've had about 35 flights on mine since january with only the maiden crash. all stock equipment except for a 7x3.5 gws prop in place of the 6.75 x 3 stock prop (LHS has plenty of the gws props and takes too long to order the stock prop from global - $1.09 vs $4.45). I've got the loops and landings down and i'm working on barrrel rolls but it's tough with no ailerons. Also haven't tried the hand launch yet , all my flights are rog. This is my first plane/first flights also. all the negative posts really made me nervous when i started out but hey, i figure if we can fly the corsair with the "toy" radio, we should have a much better shot at moving up to an over powered aileron plane with a "pro" radio. lol!
Old 02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
ryanf420

I agree, while I was waiting for my corsair to come to me, I as well read all of the negative posts on the plane.. but like you I have no problems w/ my corsair. It is also stock. What are your noticible advantages w/ the new prop your using? after the first couple of flights...and a durable plane at that!!!

LOL!..I can do the barrell rolls no problem and the landings, but its those loops.. a recent loop took me full throttle into the ground resulting in 1 new servo and another 400 motor(total of $25)at a local hooby shop...I was just getting cocky and was to close to the ground. I am confident that my next flight will be loops galore!!!!

Glad to be not the only one having success w/ the wattage corsair...I also feel you are right on our "toy" plane maybe there is room in that "pro" radio world for some decent amatures... the sky is the limit!!!!LOL

congrates on this being your first plane/flight that is great!..this is not my first plane but I learned on the park zone decathalon. so it is a bit different!!
Old 02-28-2005, 08:36 PM
hueyman

i use the 7035 gws prop with a shaft adapter because my lhs always has them in stock and they would have to order the stock push on prop for me. i want stick time so waiting for parts isn't good for me. the prop seems to have a little better pull in the wind. other than that, i don't notice a difference.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:02 AM
ryanf420

well, I think it pulls pretty good in the wind already(not like we have much wind here in phoenix anyways)..but even better pull w/ a cheap up grade like that I'll try it for sure.. thanks for the info!

Just by chance have you used a lipo w/ the corsair? and if so does it mess w/ the CoG, w/ how I am currently flying w/ the 9.6v?

Have you tried any larger brushed/brushless motors? size?...(I know it is not needed I was just curious)

Sorry about all the ?'s haven't talked to many people that have successfully flown and enjoyed there wattage corsair.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-01-2005, 12:00 PM
hueyman

i've got a 3c 1500mah kokam on order long with a lv cutoff for use with the wattage esc and a triton charger. i'll let you know how it goes. hopefully next week.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:43 AM
ryanf420

does your local HB not have those in stock?!?!?!

when you mention the lv cut off for the wattage esc does that cut off the lipo before it fully discharges? (sorry about the incompitance, but better safe than sorry w/ lipos i think)
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
hueyman

it cuts out the motor before the lipo battery pack reaches the lowest recommended voltage at which the batterys can become permenantly damaged. i think i am tempting fate with the 15a watt age esc and 7.2v 400 motor on a 3s lipo but others on this board are doing it successfully. i'll be taking amp draws when it's setup to be sure i'm not going to toast the battery. the motor and esc are cheap.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:22 AM
starguard

ORIGINAL: ryanf420

A big thanks to all those who gave info on this plane..I pulled the foam from the front of the plane by the motor and put the 9.6v stock batt. to the front again by the motor and w/ the exception of 3 different over trimmed take offs, IT FLIES GREAT! I recommend anyone that is an intermediate flyer that is interested in this plane to seriously consider it!!!!!!
Got Pics or Video's ?

I have this plane sitting up in my closet and had nothing but trouble with it all summer. Until I read this, I had given up on it. But now that I've read your post, I'm gonna take it out and try all that you said.

Wish me luck
Old 03-03-2005, 11:35 AM
ryanf420

thanks for the info w/ the gws prop hueyman I recently broke my last prop and didn't want to wait either..much more logical!
I don't think you will have an issue w/ your esc/motor w/ the lipo(according to these threads on this forum) and your right there cheap anyways..let me know how it goes.

Stargaurd, sorry no pics/videos I don't have a digi camera yet(spend to much money on this hobby)...but make sure your batt is at full charge, my rudder rod connects to the hole closest to the rudder, and my elevator rod connects to the middle hole, this seems to work pretty good for me(I may take my elevator hole to the farthest hole from the elevator to give a bit more climb, but that is just me)

Good luck-it is lots of fun to fly
Old 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM
starguard

ryan420 I have a Question: When you took out the foam around the engine, What did you use to secure the battery in place?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
ryanf420

Well stargaurd, I had a really thin piece of styro from one of my old Hobby Zone broken main wings. So after I replaced that to fit on the back of the motor(just for a little cushoning) the batt fits secure in between the main wing rods going through the fusealage and the motor.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM
ryanf420

ORIGINAL: hueyman

congrats ryanf420!! i've had about 35 flights on mine since january with only the maiden crash. all stock equipment except for a 7x3.5 gws prop in place of the 6.75 x 3 stock prop (LHS has plenty of the gws props and takes too long to order the stock prop from global - $1.09 vs $4.45). I've got the loops and landings down and i'm working on barrrel rolls but it's tough with no ailerons. Also haven't tried the hand launch yet , all my flights are rog. This is my first plane/first flights also. all the negative posts really made me nervous when i started out but hey, i figure if we can fly the corsair with the "toy" radio, we should have a much better shot at moving up to an over powered aileron plane with a "pro" radio. lol!

Oops, I picked up some more props from my lhs and they are 7x5..I will posts how it goes.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:49 PM
starguard

Well stargaurd, I had a really thin piece of styro from one of my old Hobby Zone broken main wings. So after I replaced that to fit on the back of the motor(just for a little cushoning) the batt fits secure in between the main wing rods going through the fusealage and the motor.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
hueyman

starguard, i have a few recent videos and pics. i can email direct to you if your isp will let you take 20 to 30 megs. as for the styrofoam - the bottom half of the box the corsair came in is enough to make another foam plane.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:04 AM
starguard

That would be great. I'd like that very much
Old 03-09-2005, 04:50 AM
starguard

ORIGINAL: hueyman

starguard, i have a few recent videos and pics. i can email direct to you if your isp will let you take 20 to 30 megs. as for the styrofoam - the bottom half of the box the corsair came in is enough to make another foam plane.
I got the video's the other day..... (Thanks again)! Man I gotta tell you that you have one very beautiful plane. I never knew that the wattage Corsair was capable of flying as well as yours did. I've tried getting mines back in the air using the advice you provided, but so far the weather hasn't been the best for it, so when the weather clears I'll take it back out and give it another try.

Thanks dude
Old 03-09-2005, 07:18 PM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

thanks for the info w/ the gws prop hueyman I recently broke my last prop and didn't want to wait either..much more logical!
I don't think you will have an issue w/ your esc/motor w/ the lipo(according to these threads on this forum) and your right there cheap anyways..let me know how it goes.

Stargaurd, sorry no pics/videos I don't have a digi camera yet(spend to much money on this hobby)...but make sure your batt is at full charge, my rudder rod connects to the hole closest to the rudder, and my elevator rod connects to the middle hole, this seems to work pretty good for me(I may take my elevator hole to the farthest hole from the elevator to give a bit more climb, but that is just me)

Good luck-it is lots of fun to fly
if you put the wire to the furthes hole you wont climb faster, with the rod at the closest will give the best throw to climb
Old 03-09-2005, 08:36 PM
ryanf420

right, thank you amd for the correction..that is what I meant....I would have had him in the ground for sure!!....

Old 03-10-2005, 08:54 PM
hueyman

Well, i used the lipoly today and what a huge power increase! 3' of roll and it's airborne. flying in about 7-10mph wind and it cut throught it at 3/4 throttle like it was a still day. I could loop the corsair on the nimh but it was a tight loop. if i tried a really large loop, it would stall at the top and fall off. not so with the lipoly, nice, big, round loops. When the wind calms down, i think the extra power will definetly allow me to barrel roll. I was up for 5 1/2 minutes and the battery and motor were not even warm when i landed. started with 12.5v and still 11.8V on the battery. I'd say so far it's a total success. The wot reading is 10-10.5 amps. i'll post the longevity of the motor with this battery. it's the original motor and has about 40 flights with the stock battery.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:11 PM
ryanf420

Thanks hueyman for the update I am currently bringing myself completly up to date w/ all the lipo info from this forum,lhs, and many other sources...So I believe that I will be flying w/ lipos consistantly soon as well.

I am buying a cobalt 400 motor from my lhs soon(within 1 1/2 wks). I want to see what all the fuss is all about for myself! I will post the results the day I give it a whirl.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:08 AM
ryanf420

hueyman, was this 3 cell lipo 7.4v or 11.1v?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:09 AM
hueyman

it's a kokam 3s 1P = 11.1v. capacity is 1500mah. 8C discharge rate. i measured 10.5A max at WOT but didn't measure voltage drop under that load. however, my LVC did not cutout during flight and my start resting voltage was 12.55. as i understand it the aux. lvc computes cutoff voltage based on starting voltage whenever batt. is connected to it. so i am assuming the 9v cutoff limit was not exceeded anytime during flight. In otherwords, i believe the complete power setup is within the limits of the batt/motor/esc. If you look in the eflight forum on rcgroups.com, some seem to be saying that 10.5a will cause the lvc to cut out when using this battery but i haven't had a problem yet. First flight though, time will tell.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:12 PM
ryanf420

well I have a 7.4v 2c 1325mh thunder power and I was thinking about trying it out but there is probably no way that the air plane could sustain altitude w/ that low of volts....I may try...

I was just at my lhs and they have a few cobalt 400 motors in stock now and it seems to be compatible w/ the corsair..I will be getting that motor this week!!!!