Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Radical Edge 540 (throttle off climb problems..)

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Radical Edge 540 (throttle off climb problems..)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 05:01 PM
down_shift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radical Edge 540 (throttle off climb problems..)

Question - 1/2 to full throttle, the plane flies level and straight. When I cut the power it balloons up requiring 1/4 down stick to keep it level until the speed bleeds off until the plane levels off again. Incidence of motor, wings, and stab look to be zero. I am guessing the motor is mounted 1/8-inch too high in the fuse which is causing down thrust by being too high above the centerline of drag? Or, perhaps, both ailerons are too high and should be lowered?? The CG is 1/4-inch back. Any tips?

Note the lightening holes and complete covering with Nelson film. The holes in the foam wing removed 0.4 oz which basically offset the additional weight of the Nelson covering. The holes in the tail surfaces are a further weight reduction. Also note the location of the E-Cubed antenna. I think this also stiffens the fuse!

Total ready to fly weight with Pixi P-7P speed control, FMA M5 receiver, 3 pico servos, and battery is 10.2 oz.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26241_9434.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	16508  
Old 09-17-2002, 02:47 AM
rcairmike
My Feedback: (19)

Default down/up thrust

down thrust in motor will make the plane climb when throttle reduced or cut.and vise versa.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:08 PM
Mikerjf-RCU

Had the same problem with mine. I had to reset the thrust angle back to design. Mine actually had about 2 degrees downthrust. Also had to reset the ailerons.

Mike
Old 09-24-2002, 07:11 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Does this plane hover as advertised. I am talking about a sustained, extra power for pull out, hover......
Old 09-24-2002, 07:20 PM
down_shift

Yes - the plane will hover but does not have the power for a sustained pullout.

Fixed the pitch problems by removing the motor and lowering it 3/16-inch. It now flys flat at any throttle setting. Zero pitching problems.