Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Gosh, I love my ABC

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 09:06 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gosh, I love my ABC

Yesterday I was anxious to get out to the club field to fly with a fellow addict for the first time in ages. I don't have any of my glow planes set up for snow, so I decided to just bring my Aerobird Challenger instead. I knew Paul would be there with his SPAD's, and I felt a little weird for some reason just bringing my "fun plane to fly when I don't feel like making the long drive to the club field", but since I knew nobody else would be there except Paul and I, I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, as usual, with three sets of charged batteries prepared, I was able to hop out of the car, grab the plane and transmitter, and just GO! The field was completely covered in mostly virgin snow, despite Paul's crashing one SPAD before I got there, but without the landing gear on the ABC, I wasn't worried about rough landings.

I think Paul was more impressed with my little plane than even he'd expected. He said it was the best flying park flyer he'd seen to date, and I had to agree. As much as I've flown this thing, it never cesaes to amaze me how lucky we are to be involved in a hobby that allows us to enjoy ourselves on so many levels. No, I can't do lomcevoks or inverted flight with my ABC, but I can wring it out pretty good and not worry about breaking the bank even if I break a wing or something (a fate the r/c gods spared me from this time!).

The day was almost windless, which is rare for our field, situated as it is atop a ridge overlooking a typically gorgeous Pennsylvania valley. So the twitchiness I'm used to fighting on a more normal day was replaced by an almost serene experience, alternately climbing to the limits of my vision, gliding with power off, and then diving down to slowly skim just above the blinding white snow, chasing my own shadow, and even slipping in a few unintended touch and goes. Paul and I took turns, me with my Challenger and him with his Gnat SPAD and glow helicopter. Neither of us wanted to spoil the other's fun.

Unlike warmer days, when a dozen or more guys would be clamoring for frequency pins and trying to avoid mid-airs with each other, this was a more relaxed kind of flying, where it was possible to talk to the other guy while you were flying without getting too distracted. I know I'm being long-winded about a simple thing, but life is sometimes enhanced by such simple pleasures. Hope all of you who enjoyed such good weather yesterday were able to indulge your addiction in some way!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 AM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gosh, I love my ABC

Well, Our feild is like an old city kinda, theres a few block building that are crubling to the ground, so me with my insane appatite for ww2 stuff, and a friend athe the feild with a IL-2 sturmovik, We proceded to fly 35 minutes straigt not really dogfighting but playing follow the leader, I suddenly had a halucination that I was standing watching WW2 in person, this is just like your experience of EXTREME bliss while enjoying this hobby. Not to mention the hilly very pretty scenery that makes it seem like a scene form Stalingrad or Kursk where theres a ME-109 Messerschmitt chasin down an IL-2 Sturmovik, blastin wot across the acerage and low passes across old broke down buildings. Seriosly this feild is like an old battle feild, and best yet its scale scince all the trails and paths are small like deerpaths, but there scale to our planes, we even thought of doing a movie with a old 40s style body on a rc car and the planes and super low dogfights and stuff then add kick "butt" music. Sorry I keep going on and on about ww2 stuff, which I find that my fiends criticize me cuz I collect antique weapons and stuff like that and know all this history about this war but they think it nerdy to be a history buff, but I look at it from the point of" the era of disfiguringly overkill arms and planes with thousands of ponys". I dont know bout yall but any plane or engine for that matter that requires at least 6, 6 inch exhaust openings in the manifold has to be just out right bad @$%.

Oh, btw, here is a link to what I am talkin bout, the fock wulf fw190 flying styro, very realistic, watch the video and if they had added sound to the whole video, You probably wouls think it real! and I love the sounds they added, andalso it isnt bad enough to be a ww2 nut but it dint help that my very old ww2 vetewran neighbors, SGT. Shook, Sniper 1st class, is allways tellin me storys.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/FSK022-FockeWulf.wmv