Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Are Slow Sticks fun?? Are they a good starter plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Are Slow Sticks fun?? Are they a good starter plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Justwonderin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Slow Sticks fun?? Are they a good starter plane?

im looking into getting a rc heli or airplane. i have had a cheap airplane before and loved it. i was only able to fly it at my park though due to the limited space of my yard. I was wondering if slows slicks have sharpe turing so that i could fly it in my yard. Also i know they are named slow sticks but im not sure why. do they fly really slow in the air at full throlle or something? Im new to rc and could use all the help i can get. Also does anyone know were i could possibly purchase one of these, i would prefferably like it to come RTF but i wouldnt mind a ARF I cant spend to much though.[&o]
Old 03-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Justwonderin

Default RE: Are Slow Sticks fun?? Are they a good starter plane?

Forgot to say one thing do these land better on wheels or belly landings?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you fly in your yard? Depends on how big your yard is. Once you learn to fly it, you can easily keep it in the infield of a baseball diamond, although it's nice to have more room to fly it unless you want to be turning all the time.

How fast? You can fly it at a fast walk, if you want. Top speed? 15mph?

The SS doesn't particularly like wind--ideal to fly on calm days.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
U2Steve

The Slow Stick is a larger version of the LiteStik. The LiteStik, while a good plane, is more suited for indoor flying. The Slow Stick, being bigger and heavier, does better outside in a breeze, and even though it is heavier, it has much bigger wings, and so it flies just as slowly. You won't find one RTF unless it's used, but out of the box it only takes a long afternoon to build, because it's very simple- just an aluminum stick with plastic holders strung on it.

Yes, it's a good beginner plane. It's responsive, but thing happen so slowly that it's easy to stay ahead of it. It's pretty rugged for a bunch of sheet foam, and very easy to fix most crash damage. If not, replacement parts can be ordered- props, gearbox/motor parts, even a set of wings.

The cool thing is, even though I've got a bunch of faster, more powerful, more acrobatic planes, I still fly my Slow Stick fairly often- it's one plane that can fly in small spaces (after you get used to it) and it's so slow and gentle that I can fly it in my little neighborhood park without anyone complaining, but I can still do loops and inverted with it to avoid total boredom.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:36 PM
psycho_klown66

Same here. I have 7 planes ready to go, and I still take the Slow Stick with me. Durable plane. I would suggest a 350 motor instead of the 300 to get a little more speed, along with the GWS 11x7 HD prop.

It's a great plane to learn on.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Woodsy

Love my slow stick, i fly mostly Glow SPAD and 3DFoamys but i fly my SS whenever i can in the back yard or out on the street, love the way it can thermal off tin roofs on a hot day, 18 mins is my record from a 750mah NiMi pack.

Very good trainer or introduction to electrics IMHO