Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

New Charger Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Iturnright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Charger Suggestion

OK, I love the Stryker and would love to do more things with it and of course just generally getting into other planes. So basically I would like to start out by buying a 8 cell for it. Well I realized that #1 This requires a new charger other than the stock one. #2 Many people say that the stock chargers are unreliable. So what chargers would be suitable?

I need:

-capable of charging 8cell NiMh batterys

-AC charge capable

-Fast charge (around 1 hour if not less preferably)

-peak charge

Of course it needs to be cheap and if at possible it would help to be Li-Po capable but that is not something I will probably need soon enough to justify paying much extra for.

So what are some choices I have?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:10 PM
munkeybird

Default RE: New Charger Suggestion

I've been using a hi-tec CG-340, altthough it doesn't charge li-poly it will carge up to 16 nimh cells, and up to 16 nicd cells, in short it will handle you growing for quite awhile, and at round $40 you can't go wrong!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Iturnright

Looks good, but says it is DC, is it also AC input capable? It would be very helpful if it was AC.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
munkeybird

I don't believe it is, but, if your an AMA member in september 2003's issue of Model Aviation pgs. 98-101 will show you how to make an AC to DC converter out of a computer power supply. I haven't tried it yet but it looks very simple, and if your part of the country is anything like mine you can drive around on any given trash day and find and find a "donor" computer to get a free power supply. If you aren't a member, find someone in your area that is and ask if they could loan you that issue or order a back issue of it. All in all it'll cost you around $5 to convert and an evening of soldering/cutting. Then you'll have a AC/DC converter that you'll be able to use on any charger you but in the future.

P.S. If you aren't an AMA member ... JOIN!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:05 PM
foreverNight

Look at this one. I use this for all my Batt for both planes and cars. Its both AC/DC and charges 1-8 cells nicd and nhmn packs and peak. I works good for the price and You can use diffrent connectors for diffrent packs.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCLD5&P=ML