Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

*&^%* I knew it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 11:45 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *&^%* I knew it!

flyin at the local school yard, bought a GWS radio and gear and pico stick about $175 well, about $135 of it is up in a dang tree! and it was flying so well musta been about my 30th flight or so (total) and i knew the batt was gettin low but when I turned to bring it in it dropped and hit a REALLY tall pine, and I havent got a clue how it get it down short of a bow and arrow or slingshot neither of which I have......couldnt throw a rock high enought to hit it.. maybe some kind of rope with a stick on it , no one saw me flying, so no one knows it there, shouldnt have to worry about that, I plan to get up early in the morning and try to retrieve it early in the morning sunday,,, any ideas?????? Rog
Old 09-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Jeff396

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *&^%* I knew it!

I did the same thing with my Kadet after a dead stick. The thing was so high I couldn't even throw anything near it. I ended up calling a tree cutting service. I believe it cost me $20 or $30 bucks to retrieve it. Well worth it to get the innards back.

A guy at our field did something similar. They decided to try the bow and arrow solution. Now what do you think the odds of the arrow going through the receiver are???

Jeff
Old 09-21-2002, 04:37 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default my solution

This may no be the smartest way to go about it but. (risk of injury)when my beloved cub met its demise. My wife (I'm in a wheelchair and had not arrived at the crash site yet)asked a passer by 20 something if he wanted to make $20. The tree was only 40 ft. and the cub was in the tippy top. The remains were on the ground by the time I got there.Buz^
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27009_4849.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	16905  
Old 09-22-2002, 01:18 AM
flyinrog

Default thanks

If the tree was climbable I would have done that, the first branch is a good 20+ feet off the ground...and I guessing the plane is at about the 50 foot mark hidden very well I might add....I dont think the school would be happy about a tree service getting my plane down..... would be one more reason for "no flying allowed" and thats really the only place I can play right now...I got a good laugh outa the one with the arrow through the receiver, but at least he got the rest of his stuff back ....well I got a rope with a pipe on it that I'm gonna try first thing sunday,, but I'm still open to suggestions...........thanks for the help and stories,, Rog
Old 09-22-2002, 02:07 AM
Jeff396

Default *&^%* I knew it!

I guess I worded the tree service suggestion badly. They didn't cut the tree down. He just put on a set of those spiked climbing things and up he went. With mine he ended up cutting one limb but you might be able to get away with them shaking the branch it's on.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2002, 03:19 AM
flyinrog

Default No Jeff

Its a great idea,, but I'd have to get permission from the school on monday then find a climber to do it, again all calling attention to me tresspassing on school property, even though it is usually before 07:00 am on sat and sun, all they have to say is "no more,insurance,you know" and I'm screwed,.... for reasons I'd rather not say it is the only place I can fly right now or until next spring anyway, I saw the wings break upon "tree entry" so I know the plane is prolly shot which is ok cause I got a project right here on my desk waiting for the "guts" to go in it but a couple of damp nights in a tree is gonna take a toll on the electrics too. I found an old bamboo rod(bow) in the basement and some cut pieces of molding for arrows (blunt) and a rope with a pipe for slinging, hopefully this will get it down.at any rate I will certainly put it up on the board whatever happens
Rog
Old 09-22-2002, 12:46 PM
flyinrog

Default nope

well, none of those brilliant ideas worked, still no one knows it there though... my bamboo bow broke, and I couldnt sling the pipe up high enough, maybe next weekend I can get my dads real bow and cut a tip off 1 arrow and attach a line? worth a try but by then prolly only the servo's will work ,if I'm lucky...Rog
Old 09-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Default rog

do you have any painter buddies that will have a 24 or 32 ft ladder , make sure its stuck up into the limbs so it wont move as someone climbs up tho
Old 09-26-2002, 05:09 PM
DCFLYYER
My Feedback: (5)

Default PVC PIPE

Try the ol pvc pipe trick for about $7.00 you could go 50' Check out the hardware stores 10' x1/2" is.99 Even put a rope or string threw th pipe like the dog catchers use to snare it you wouldn't need to glue the pipe together cause it will be easer to store for next time!! Hope it helps.

DCFLYYER
Old 09-26-2002, 09:04 PM
flyinrog

Default Well now

I sure didnt think of that,,, its still up there and I'm still doing the Barney Fife re-con missions on my moped after dark to see if it falls out, I got my dads bow and arrow and super glued nylon twine to the shaft and gonna try that sat night , cross your fingers for me, I imagine the innards are shot by now anyway , but maybe I can salvage the servos...Rog
Old 09-26-2002, 11:41 PM
cwat212

Default *&^%* I knew it!

The problem with the PVC pipe is:

1/2 pipe at around 25 ft......almost doubles back on itself....

anyone care to ask how I know?

Now if I could use 1/2 steel pipe....
Old 09-27-2002, 12:35 AM
flyinrog

Default *&^%* I knew it!

hahahahha!!
You know I was wondering about that,

yeah and 50' of steel pipe ,,you'll put your eye out with that thing"

well after saturday night I'll either be working on it or ordering something else......Rog
Old 10-02-2002, 12:06 AM
lannie fentress

Default *&^%* I knew it!

well I.m new at this so bare with me I also had a GWS tigermoth in a tall tree I tried a fishing pole with a hook with the barb cut off that almost worked .but before I could finish getting it down one of the kids that watch me fly sometimes was up in the tree about 30 ft scared me to death but didn.t him he brought it right down .He was about twelve years old .but I wouldnt ask one to do it.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Raybow

Default *&^%* I knew it!

Use a good Chain Saw!!

Ray
Old 10-02-2002, 05:33 PM
Tommy632

Default *&^%* I knew it!

A friend and I had his Firebirb XL stuck about 50 feet up. The PVC DIDN"T WORK. We could have won money on a video of us trying. LOL What did work was the metal conduent (SP?) with connecters. It was a little more costly and still flimsey but we got the plane back. Mininal damage too.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:56 PM
flyinrog

Default ok folks

please see &%^$%&*$ I got it!!!! Ive already "flown it"

Rog
Old 10-16-2002, 04:12 PM
iflewbayou-RCU

Default *&^%* I knew it!

LOL.. i think we have all been there, i did the same thing when i was starting out, i had to get a tree climber to get mine, at the time i was injured, i tried the bow and arrow but it was just stuck ...

Only 2 kinds of planes those that have crashed and those that will
Old 11-07-2002, 06:14 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Default schticky situation

Ok guys, the answer is quite simple. You just get a buddy with another plane to fly on in and just knock your plane out. The obvious upshot of this method is that he then has to get his buddy to do the same, and before long just about everyones plane in the entire nation has been in that one #*&#$ing tree at one point or another. But hey, yours is free. hahaha.

Keep it real.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:09 PM
dandelave

Default *&^%* I knew it!

Wrist Rocket (sling shot), monofiliment line (fishing line), small weight (sinker for fishing), connect line and weight and shoot it through the plane. It will leave a hole (war wound). You can make the line just a bit longer than the height and make sure noone is in the line of fire when you miss. All should be kept in an emergency kit for flying, I think.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:30 AM
Micro Rotors

Default Worship the all mighty 12 guage

Bill
Attached Images