Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Crazy Max with .061 Norvel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 04:10 AM
RCAIRGreg
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Max with .061 Norvel

Well, It can be done. I successfully converted my Crazy Max to glow. For the guy who asked if the fuel would hurt the foam here is your answer. Foam no, but orange paint YES. You have to fuel proof all painted areas. Not hard to do I used a thin layer of epoxy on the front portion of the fuse, and 21 Century clear paint on the rest. 21 Century is compatible Only if you put it on in very light coats. It flys Awesome with hovering power. I can take off from the grass with no problem. CG was easy worked out perfect. I have 3 Hitec hs55, and 1 old micro Futaba FP-S33. I bought a GWS Micro RX, but got the wrong crystal for it so instead of waiting I dug down in a very old box and pulled out and old Futaba Attack AM radio. Took the RX out of its shell put shrink wrap on it and slid it in. I am using a RC Big Mig Norvel .061 with an APC 5-3 Prop. Even with the larger RX I am under 14oz wet flying weight. All in all It was an easy conversion, and it was cheaper than the electric version.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27110_13579.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	16946  
Old 01-30-2003, 02:04 PM
BrandonHarmon
My Feedback: (33)

Default CRAZYMAX CONVERSION

HELLO,
I have an ele crazy max and really like it. I have a norvel .061 just sitting around and thought I would give it a try. I ordered a wing w/saddle, the tail feathers and stickers. I am going to build the fuse out of balsa. I thought that it would be easier to fit in the fuel cell. Know I see you have a fuel tank/mount. Where did you get it? I have never seen one before. I would also like to know how you attached the landing gear.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2003, 03:36 PM
RCAIRGreg

Default .061 Crazzy Max conversion

Both good questions. I used the extended tank mount that actually goes through the firewall. If you cut the hole in the right place it will center right in the fuse perfect fit. I got the mount form Sig Manufacturing CO. ( http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV2.html?E+Sig ) NVL102200 NORVEL EXT. FUEL TANK MOUNT EACH $13.99

Now your second question is more difficult to explain, but I will try. The screws hole on the bottom of the engine mount were slight wider than the fuselage firewall. I mounted the tank/mount to a piece of scrap light 1/8" ply that I cut just slightly wider at the bottom (same size as the fire wall at the top) then I took my dremel tool and cut the groove on the back to accept the landing gear wire. Then I attached with 3 servo screws 2 at the top and 1 at the landing gear.

It is a blast and mine is still flying great. [email protected]
Old 02-10-2003, 02:12 PM
BrandonHarmon

Default Finished my Crazy Maxx w/.061- PIC'S

I used some of your ideas and some of my own. I made a fuse out of balsa with a carbon fiber arrow shaft running down the bottom. I used a Norvel .061 and a homemade fuel cell out of an medicine bottle. I made a batter pack out of 100mah Nicads and used fma 100 servo's and a GWS receiver. The wing and tail are stock except for a few light coats of clear. I made a steerable tail wheel and reinforced the wing saddle. It flys great, lots of power, it need a little more room than the ele version but is lots of fun. I still have my ele version but this one really turns heads at the park. I will fly it at our club field as soon as the snow melts.

Here are some pic's

me

Name:	54269_8092.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	16947  
Old 02-10-2003, 02:13 PM
BrandonHarmon

Default 2nd pic

2nd pic

Name:	54270_8092.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	16948  
Old 02-10-2003, 02:14 PM
BrandonHarmon

Default last pic

last pic

Name:	54271_8092.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	16949  
Old 02-10-2003, 05:07 PM
RCAIRGreg

Default Crazy Max with .061 Norvel

Hey that looks good. I like the fuse. I did one other thing that I would recommend to you. I added clear tape to the bottom side of the control surfaces to seal out the fuel, and to give more security. I makes them a bit stiffer but it loosens up. Mine only weights 14.3oz fueled. Let me know how yours flys. Good Luck!!
Old 02-10-2003, 05:17 PM
BrandonHarmon

Default Thanks

I will tape the bottom of the hinge joints. That just sounds like a good idea. Mine weighted in at 14.5 oz. which is .5oz lighter than my ele version. Without using the fueltank/mount it was a tight fit to get everything far enough forward to not add weight.

Thanks again

me
Old 03-07-2003, 05:26 PM
BrandonHarmon

Default 10+ FLIGHT REVIEW

The norvel conversion seems to be holding up great. The light clear coat over the foam has fuel proofed it. This plane/engine combo is wonderful. I love flying it. I would make one other suggestion. You need to add a reinforcement rod (Wood, Carbon) to the spar before gluing the wing together. If you don't use good power control you can fold the wing without it.
It will hover great with a 7x3 prop but 6x3 will give you the ground clearance for grass takeoffs.

BH