Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

The best flying $25 r/c plane you may ever own..

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

The best flying $25 r/c plane you may ever own..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Punk Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The best flying $25 r/c plane you may ever own..

Well just bought the plane, I wanted someting cheap to fly and found it. I to would like to see pictures of all the mods you made. If you don't have a way to post them send them to me and I can post them.

A few quick questions:
1) Is there a way to have more than one frequency? I did not see others offered on the site.
2) Where can I get the Lipo battery you are talking about? I found this site http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm They sell some batteries. They have the 300mah 1 cell. Will a 250mah battery work?
3) What charger would I use for the Lipo battery. The site above sells a charger for 42 bucks, but requires a power supply or a wall TX (2amp min) Were can I find a wall TX? Here is another link to a charger it is only $24 dollars though http://www.slowfly.com/cgi-bin/shop....2&view=%237721 Also there is one here the LPC 400 http://slofly.com/index.php?short=n&...a1fdc7e4c42#60

Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks,
Michael "Punk Kid" Deppa
Old 03-30-2005, 08:42 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

you amy want to fly it the way it is 1st..and get used to it...it should still fly nicely..albeit a bit heavier..then once you got its flight characteristics down..lighten her up...you can get the lipos at cheapbateerypacks .com..they are 1 cell..150-300 mah..your choice..
Old 03-31-2005, 02:18 AM
Nickerz
My Feedback: (1)

Hi flyingace451!

Once you have a chance to fly both planes, be sure update us on which one you like best. I'm still trying to decide between the Preserver or Toy Z. That sucks that UPS delivered the Toy Z plane all busted up. I think of Ace Ventura when it shows Jim Carry as a UPS man kicking the box down the street (lol - I think he says, "we're gonin' down town!") and then the elevator closing a couple times on the box - OUCH! Damn those UPS guys! I bet the retail shops get a lot of that with these micro planes.

Nick

PS I just figured out how to make the wink eye smiley guy face by typing the following quotation mark and then a closed parentheses like this...
") Weird, this happened by accident when I typed this and I saw it added a smiley face when I didn't want it to (see above). Ok...so I'm a little bored tonight

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

OH MY GOSH!!!! When I got the Toy Z plane it looked like someone had set off a bunch of firecrackers in the box! Great...well at least I can send it back to them and get another one.[] But the good news is that my Wattage Micro Flyer is hopefully gonna come in this weekend. (not like the Toy Z plane did I hope!) The Toy Z is a cute little plane when all of the parts are nice and neat and the motor actually works.[] Grrr stupid UPS people! [>:]
Old 03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
david5272

I just purchased the thunder preserver and the sky a-40 from balsapr.com

I will give a report once I have them and fly them.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Troglotech

The Preserver was the first plane and I must agree with Music Publisher.....it's a great little machine.

With the Preserver you learn quite a lot about trimming (all done by tweaking the elevators) and a lot about wind conditions (they just don't fly in any wind). On hot days they catch the thermals and can stay in the air for up to 15 mins, dissapearing to a little spec in the sky...great fun. I learned a lot from these little planes, worth buying, great to keep in the boot of the car, safe and easy.

I flew mine as it came....ball bearings, stickers and all...and it flew perfectly after a little trimming. For those of you who live in the UK they can be bought here:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/Categ...language=en-GB

And now only £25

The batteries can be charged for a little longer than recommended for longer flights but they do get very hot indeed if you are not careful, so hot, in fact, that they once melted the wires and self-destructed! 10-minute flights are easily achievable in still conditions but a wiff of air movement takes the puff out of the batteries and can just flip the plane over for an unrecoverable dive.

Mine lasted through Spring and Summer, flying just about every day, and usually around 5 to 10 flights a day, it ended up as seen here, mostly CA and sticky tape, the tail was held together by inserting needles between the halves and then CA'ing them in place. But it kept flying until the battery squashed the receiver after an extreme vertical landing. All in all a great way to start flying....highly recommended!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34453.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	251965  
Old 03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
ghee-grose

Needles? That's a good idea! I creased both sides of mine when flying it in high winds and dorking the ground for a cartwheel [:@] I've been trying to figure out how to repair it to keep it from breaking all the way....hmmmm....now, where's the needles???[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-31-2005, 05:21 PM
flyingace451

Wow that thing sure has taken a beating! Is it still flying today? Tralalalalala I'm busy being bored waiting on the Z to show up (again)

The Wattage Micro Flyer flies great! The preserver is probably much better for small spaces and hard landings. The WMF can sure take a beating and live through it! If you are willing to wait 40 min for a 6-8 min flight, than you can go ahead with the WMF. But if you want I nice backyard ruling plane that can charge in minutes and fly for 10 min, go with the preserver. Heck, with what I've heard on both of these planes, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with both! In fact, if I can gather up 30 bucks (25+shiping and handling) then i'll get the preserver to fly when my WMF is charging or when my Firebird Scout is charging. Or I can charge them all up and get 38 minutes of continuous flight!!! Wooooooo!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Nickerz

Much appreciated david5272! I'm looking forward to your feed back!

FlyingAce451:
Does the WMF ROG? What I still like about the Toy Z is they claim it does and of course there isn't a way for the Preserver to do this.

Nick

PS Thanks for the info too Troglotech

ORIGINAL: david5272

I just purchased the thunder preserver and the sky a-40 from balsapr.com

I will give a report once I have them and fly them.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
flyingace451

The landing gear on the WMF is crap. The plane is so bouncy and the landing gear so small, you would need computer precision to land it properly! If I had a choice when flying over concrete, I would prefere to belly land in the road than use the landing gear. I have heard that it can take off from a picnic table but on a regular flat surface, such as a parking lot, it is very difficult to do. (i've tried) My advice is to keep your plane as far away from that landing gear as possible! maybe put the landing gear on to a Preserver.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Nickerz

Here is a review of the WMF and some good pics of the lil' guy too...

http://www.hobbypeople.net/review/157100MA_01.htm

There's also a very cool little plane converted into RC (see post #17)...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...GE+MICRO+FLYER

This one seems pretty cool too and is just a little bigger than the Preserver...
http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/kits/...LargeImage=yes

Nick
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
flyingace451

That guy had some of his info wrong in that review. First, when launching the little beast, you don't have to firmly throw it and then start the motor... I start the motor and barely nudge the foamy and it goes fine. It doesn't have that left torque turn (whatever that is) either. Soooooo....it is better to launch it motor on. But I did like the picture of the things insides. [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] That was a nice review.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
david5272

no problem nickerz, I will gladly give a report on both when they show up

the sky a-40 can do a nice ROG

check out its video here...http://mivasecure.abac.com/toyhaus/m..._Code=rceplane
Old 03-31-2005, 07:26 PM
david5272

flyingace....how is the firebird scout ? I see it is @ $49
Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
ghee-grose

I've done several ROG's with my brother's Preserver. Flying indoors on a wooden gym floor. Set it down, hit full throttle, and she slides up to takeoff speed. Really cool to do touch -n- go's too!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

I miss my preserver sooo bad..its still up in my neighbors 40ft tree...2 days now...and we are due for 1-2 " of rain this weekend..i guess that will destroy the elctronics and the 2 lill motors in it...but maybe it will finally blow out of the tree...may have to order another 1...or maybe a package of 4..I think they offer a discount if you buy 4 ....make a great lil gift for family/friends//etc...
Old 03-31-2005, 09:42 PM
ghee-grose

Does anybody know if it is possible to fly more than one together? My brother and I each have one, but we've yet to fly them at the same time so I don't know if they're on the same frequency.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:50 PM
mrluke

you guys are all talking about triming this little plane out? Does it have movable contol surfaces?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

WOOWOWOWO...ive just done some online searching..and ..toyeast.com sells these lil buggers for $15.31 a piece..both the preserver and the slightly bigger super sonic....that is amazing...that they can sell these things at that price..and make at least a 50% profit...the website itself sux...takes for ever to load...and the company is based in HONG KONG..and they do ship to the U.S...its about $16 for shipping..takes 7-9 business days...even with that hi shipping cost..if someone needed to order a bunch of these for gifts/freinds..you cant ebat that price...under $16 for a r/c plane..that reall flys quite well...technology..what a great thing..
Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 PM
ghee-grose

The preserver is trimmed for level flight by tabs on the tail surfaces. They can be bent a little either way to give you up, down, left, or right to get it to fly like you want it. They are moveable only by bending them, not by a servo or anything in flight.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Troglotech

........and you will find that the Preserver requires trimming to suit the weather conditions.......with a little air movement a little less up elevator is required as it will tend to porpoise. And No....it's not flying anymore due to the squashed RX....but....I've directly connected the motors to the battery and am waiting for a still day for a bit of free-flight and I'll try and catch up with it using the Challenger! I feel some unarmed air-to-air combat coming on.....plus I run a video camera in the Challenger so I should capture the fight on video, sounds like good fun to me!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
flyingace451

The Firebird Scout is the plane that I learned on. It can take beating but if you crash too hard the electronics get messed up. I have crashed where the stick coming out of the back to hold on the tail surface popped out of place. I fixed that but that crash also caused the tail to be dangling by the decal, that had to be replaced; and now I have a jittery servo but it only jitters when the throttle is off or I am steering. It didn't mess up the flying performance any. A tip on flying them, don't fly in wind! They don't like wind!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
ghee-grose

Free fligth with a preserver????.....you are brave! Let us know how it does and if you get it back. I don't think there's a suitable place around here to do that...there's too many trees and forests around here! My luck, it would fly deep into the woods.

Good luck anyway!
Old 04-01-2005, 04:00 PM
david5272

wow, just got confirmation from balsapr.com that my order from yesterday is shipping today to arrive tomorrow.

that is AWESOME service....two planes, preserver and sky a-40 and some replacement parts with only $6 shipping.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:42 PM
MUSIC PUBLISHER

yes,,sounds like great service..no doubt...but their prices on those 2 mini planes are quite high..raidentech sells the preserever for $24.95 and toyseast.com sell em for under $16 ... and raidentech has a special where you can buy 4 of those planes for $95 I think...im trying to decide if I want to purchaesse from toyeast.com...beings they are out of the country...
Old 04-03-2005, 03:11 AM
vhawk12

I got one of those SYMA, flying faries off of ebay for $10 (+shipping) and it seemed ok, but I think something was wrong, no matter how hard I tried to gently push the sticks on the transmitter, it was either all or nothing... I dunno, maybe it was me, but does anyone know where you can get parts for these suckers??

[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2563&item=5966499023&rd=1]SYMA plane[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.