Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Sopwith Tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 11:31 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sopwith Tragedy

So - I went out with my brand new $29.99 Wattage Sopwith Camel today...

It was probably a little too breezy for it in retrospect but I went out anyway. This is my second park flier - my first was a much faster wattage hawk that flew very well until I had a linkage failure. It're repairable but I couldn't pass up the Camel as a replacement.

So - I put it together this week in preparation for this morning hoping to tool around and do some touch and goes.

It took off and instantly started to climb. I was able to control it though and almost able to fly it but turning was hard. I started a nice left turn and then a right and then there was a gust and it ended up on its side. I just couldn't recover - the dihedral wasn't enough and the rudder control just wasn't there to recover. It ended up on the ground - cartwheeling and ripping off all the cabane struts. The CG was right on where it was supposed to be but I imagine that the incidence on the top wing was not correct which caused the hardly controlable climb. The turning ability just wasn't there by design in my opinion as the top wing has anhedral almost and the bottom wing has very little dihedral. It probably needs some on the top and a little more on the bottom plus an bit of negative wing incidence on the top wing.

I just knew the rudder would not have the authority needed. The elevator worked great though.

Oh well - the damage is repairable but I think I'm just going to hang it up in my son's room as decor - that's really why I bought it anyway.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:04 PM
joey_d1119

Default RE: Sopwith Tragedy

I have really nice before and after pics!!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:07 AM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, you do - how about sending them over.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:14 AM
joey_d1119

Ok, Ill post them up later tonight!
Old 03-31-2005, 02:26 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

The Shortcomings of this model have been well documented on RCGroups in 2 long build threads.

I increased the rudder 30% over stock on mine, turns like a charm.

Tommy
Old 03-31-2005, 08:14 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

A few photos. Sorry about the orange prop I was experementing with a 13"er.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50537.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	252051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	252052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70750.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	252053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn33181.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	252054  
Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Bill G

Looking at your crash, I had a similar one, with no damage. The trick to turning this plane is to just keep holding the rudder. It will lose elevation, appear to be stalling, and not tuning. Just after I would abandon the turn, is when I found that it would turn well. You just have to be very deliberate with your inputs, and patient.
Heres my mods for what seems to be an indestructible, good flying plane.
.015 music wire x-braced around the front cabanes, wrapped around the cabane screws. (I have an on/off swithch, since the wing does not come off.)
Himax 4015-4100 brushless motor. This enables the uses of the larger 2.5:1 pinion, with excellent power. The cheap gearbox (GWS better) runs much better with the larger pinion.
Trailing wires rom the landing gear to the rear wing (attached to GWS control horns). The flimsy landing gear needs this.

I think once you get used to this plane, you will enjoy it much. I don't like Wattage much, but it is one of my favorite planes. Good luck!