Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

What airplanes should I learn on before I buy a J3 Cub?

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

What airplanes should I learn on before I buy a J3 Cub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What airplanes should I learn on before I buy a J3 Cub?

I'm a complete newb but I do have quite a lot of stick time on my Firebird Scout. That helped me learn about throttle and stuff (the plane has no elevators) and I plan on moving up to an Aerobird Challenger in April. Will this be good enough experience given for me to buy the Cub? I plan on getting it somewhere around September but if I get bored over the summer with my 2 other planes, would it be safe to go ahead and buy it? If it isn't safe because I still wouldn't have enough experience yet, what plane should I buy after the ABC to get me that experience?

-Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM
TenTen

Default RE: What airplanes should I learn on before I buy a J3 Cub?

I have being flying a Challenger for a year now (it was my 1st plane). I helped a friend recently to fly his Firebird Commander (2 channel as your Scout) and it was really harder to fly it than my Aerobird with no pitch control, especially in windy conditions.

So I think you will have to problem flying the Challenger which very forgiving and stable.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 AM
flyingace451

Well that sure is good news. My friend bought a Commander just the other day. They were headed out to a field behind his house which was WAY TO SMALL!! I called him and warned him about it... mainly because he had never even flown before. I went full speed on my bike to see if he was leaving the house or going to the small field. I get there and the whole family is gathered in that field!!! Ahhhhh!!! They tried handlaunching it which wasn't very pretty. Then since that didn't work I suggested for them to ROG from the parking lot. The plane started climbing and climbing faster than I thought. And, my friend's dad being the genious that he is, thinks that Will (my friend) couldn't handle flying it on its maiden and he spiral dives into a tree! I climb the tree to go and get it (about 50 ft off of the ground...Yikes!) And retrieve the plane. And yesterday, I had a needle stuck into my arm because of poison ivy! Grrrrr i'm not climbing that tree agian.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:48 AM
RC Sumo

I have also been flying a Challenger for about a year now. I think it will be a good step up to a J3 Cub. After a year I am actually comfortable enough with my ABC, that I am modding the tail for more performance. I bought my ABC as my first plane and learned alot of lessons on it. I think one benefit of the ABC's performance that will help you when you step up to the Cub is they fly a little faster than most 3ch "trainer"/ adv. trainer planes. I was forced to really scan ahead of my plane to keep out of trouble. I think you are going to have alot of fun with your ABC as it covers a wide range of performance profiles. I will be keeping mine as I love it's durability and have the drop module, which I have modded to drop other things besides the parachuter guy....heehehehhe. This summer I will be dropping baking soda out of it to put out a mock fire, just llike forest service bombers!!! Have fun and stick with it! You'll be a pro with that Cub before you know it!
Old 04-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Johmama

UMmm I plan on buying a J3-cub as my first plane but I do have 7 hours or real plane experience
Old 04-13-2005, 04:33 PM
samolot
My Feedback: (14)

I cheap way of getting into cubs is by slow stick. I really want a cub because i love the looks. I have a 4 channel gas trainer, which this weekend i will plan to learn how to turn using only rudder, after that, cub it is. You dont have to get a 4 channel gas trainer, the slow stick whould be fine, because it teaches you the controls you will need for the cub. By the way, are full scale cubs elevator, rudder only too?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:48 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have over 300 flights on my Aerobirds. Love 'em. And the accesories just make this plane so much fun.
www.horizonhobby.com

I highly recommend the Easy Star either as n RTF for about $180 or as an ARF for about $55
www.towerhobbies.com

T-Hawk is a great RTF value at about $170, or buy your own radio and receiver and get the plane receiver ready for about $120. Super package.
www.readytoflyfun.com

If you have a smaller space and fairly calm wind conditions, or if you want to fly indoors, look at the Slo-V from Parkzone.
www.horizonhobby.com

If you have some experience or help, I also like the Multiplex Space Scooter either as an RTF for $180 or an ARF for about $60. also available on www.towerhobbies.com

All good choices

And no, samalot, full scale J3s have ailerons.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:50 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: flyingace451

I'm a complete newb but I do have quite a lot of stick time on my Firebird Scout. That helped me learn about throttle and stuff (the plane has no elevators) and I plan on moving up to an Aerobird Challenger in April. Will this be good enough experience given for me to buy the Cub? I plan on getting it somewhere around September but if I get bored over the summer with my 2 other planes, would it be safe to go ahead and buy it? If it isn't safe because I still wouldn't have enough experience yet, what plane should I buy after the ABC to get me that experience?

-Thanks
ABC will be plenty of experience. If you get bored, get the air to air combat module and find a friend to fly with. Or add the bomb drop module and do some precision bombing runs.

Of course you can add the night fly module and fly it in the night sky like a ghost.

Bored? No way!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:00 PM
rahtware

By "Cub" are you talking about a 3 or 4 channel "Cub" style plane? A true model of a Piper Cub IS a trainer airplane. Trouble is most RC pilots would be bored to tears by it's flight characteristics. In a pinch an early cub could be brought in under 30 mph! Most RC planes fly faster than that!!!

Fly a GWS Slow Stick for a feeling of the true "Cub" experience. As for a Cub model, I would stay away from small and heavy. It might have a “Cub†shape and be colored “Cub†yellow but that don’t make it a CUB.

I tried an early version of the GP Electric Cub and found it to be a great plane…Once I jerked out the electrics and stuck a glow .15 on the nose. I have read that they have improved it... I hope that means they have lightened it up a bunch. I have to admit that it is a tough bird as mine has been in the hands of about 3 beginner pilots and is still a usable plane. BTW This took place in the days of a "5" size can motor and a 1500mah battery pack barrowed from my kids "Grasshopper" RC Car. With today’s technology it could be a good plane on E-Power.

Good luck
Old 04-14-2005, 06:05 AM
samolot

ohhh, so thats why its soo hard to find a model with ailerons. People add them by themselves. THe only park flyer electric cub i found with ail. is from world models. Beautiful plane but hey, scale is scale.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:10 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: samolot

ohhh, so thats why its soo hard to find a model with ailerons. People add them by themselves. THe only park flyer electric cub i found with ail. is from world models. Beautiful plane but hey, scale is scale.
Samolot, there are hundreds of models with ailerons including gas, glow, electrics and gliders.

What are you refering to about it being hard to find a model with ailerons?

There must be 50 different makes of J3 Cubb models in three power types across 8 size ranges. At least half have ailerons as part of their designs.

Tower has at least 10, most of which have ailerons.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
rahtware

All

It is true that there are tons of Cub (look-a-like) models out there... But, where is the; full scale, 4 channel, park flyer, ARF with a light enough wing loading to have the flight characteristics of a Cub? With today’s technology this isn't an impossible request. It would have to be on the large size (45" - 54") for a PFer as a Cub flys on its oversized wing, not its (limited) horsepower. We are talking about a full wing Cub, not the clipped wing version that so many of the Cub models out there are copied after. aren’t we? It would also have to have a very light wing loading (even for a park flyer) of around 5 - 7 oz / sq ft to achieve scale like flight. And, how about a smaller, geared motor... A true Cub is not known for it's vertical flight abilities, but rather as a very forgiving, easy to fly trainer.

Just my two cents
Old 04-14-2005, 12:31 PM
samolot

i meant it to be a park flyer. I know there are plenty of gas models to choose from.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:26 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: samolot

i meant it to be a park flyer. I know there are plenty of gas models to choose from.
Parkflyer is just another name for a small plane that is electrically powered. You can electrify most planes and you can use glow power on parkflyer size planes. They can have R/E/T, A/ET, R/T, R/E/A/T, R/E/A/F/T

You could remove that .40 motor from your trainer and replace it with an AXI brushless. That would not make it a parkflyer, or would it?

OK enough of this.

What are you looking for? Kit? ARF? RTF?

Why does it have to be a cub?

Be specific.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:28 AM
samolot

Me personally, im looking for a cub, park flyer. I love cubs becuase of their looks, and their history. Now i know you can electrify models, but with the cash im paying, i might as well get a rtf glow powere cub, which is something i dont want but it is worth one brushless motor. The main point it, that is has to be small. Like the cub from great planes has a 41 in wingspan. Thats all right. I can use the box from where it came from, put it in my backpack with it sticking out, x in my front pocket of my bp, and find a way to put the wing in somehow, or convert it into a two piece. The thing is i want to be able to take it with my, like lets say on a bike where i can take it to central park, and they have MASSIVE fields, or better yet some soccer field on the way, yes new york is adding more parks, in support of cleaner fresh air. I would like it to be a balsa plywood construction, because foam brings me bad luck. But you know what, if my dad would be willing to take me to my club, then i would definitely buy a glow-electric convert on some cub.

mp.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 AM
rahtware

samolot

As with everything, model planes are all a compromise. If you want something to "backpack", how about a GWS Pico Cub...

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/j3-f.htm

Or, if you need everything, a Parkzone Cub might be the way to go...

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1100

The GWS Cub is much lighter than the PZ Cub and so will have more Cub like flight characteristics, whereas the PZ Cub will be better able to handle flying in (lightly) windy conditions. Neither of these have ailerons, but both should be easy to fly.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:24 PM
samolot

How about the GP EP Cub 41 in wingspan. Looks really good and is better material.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:35 AM
rahtware

Samolot

That's the plane that I wrote about in an earlier post. The early version seemed to be just a converted "Glow" plane that GP stuck an Electric motor in so they could have an E-Powered plane to sell.

I like the 7.5-oz/sqft wing loading in the new version, but have to wonder if that includes the flight battery. The old version was built like a tank and could take abuse, but even with a "5" sized motor it could barely get off the ground. As the new one is flying on a brushless, geared 280 it must be a totally different plane. I need to find the time to drag my old GP Cub down out of the rafters and see how much it weighs... I would bet it could be closer to 20 lbs RTF then the posted 14lbs of the new Cub.

Good luck, and it's great that you are keeping up the search.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:13 AM
samolot

the same wingspan has the wattage cub ep. Looks better.