Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good sport flyer

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Looking for a good sport flyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:53 PM
NateMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good sport flyer

I'm looking for a good sport flier that I can fly at my local soccer field. I have a GWS IPS-DX-A motor w/ ESC, a 7-cell NiMH battery, two HS-55 micro servos and Hitec feather receiver. I would probably want aileron, elevator and throttle control so that I wouldn't have to buy another servo, but I do have a 4-channel TX so full-house control is an option. I have little experience with electrics, but I have experience with larger .46 size sport planes so skill level should not be an issue. I hope to fly at a soccer field. I would like a plane that is mildly acrobatic, but stable enough for moderately slow flight. I live on the coast so it would be good to have something that could handle a little bit of wind. Scratch building from plans doesn't scare me, kits and ARFs are also just fine. Any suggestions as to what plane would be good for me would be awesome, thanks a lot,

Nate
Old 04-13-2005, 09:39 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a good sport flyer

If you like kits, check out the planes at mountain models. www.mountainmodels.com They are all excellent.

If you want a foamy, consider the Multiplex Space Scooter - Aileron/elevator. Rudder optional. Practically unbreakable. Great plane to keep in the car. comes with the motor in arf form. You can find it at Tower Hobbies. www.towerhobbies.com.

There are others, but take a look at these and give me some feedback.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:26 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How about a Katana Mini?
http://utopia.rcuniverse.com/utopia/...aerobatics.com
Old 04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another possibility: I present to you the Climax Models Wasp: [link=http://www.cl-i-max.com/wasp.shtml]Here's the link![/link] A great little plane. The link has all the info, but here's the basics: designed for IPS power, aileron, elevator, throttle, 26" wingspan, very docile stock yet very aerobatic and still easily handled when grossly overpowered. On the IPS-A, the best performance can be had with a 3S lithium polymer battery and an 8x6 GWS RS prop. It will fly fine on the 7-cell pack you have with a 10x8 prop, perhaps even the 9x7, provided the cells are light enough, ie 300-400maH. Other possible options include the Todd's Models Tiny and Tiny-X. Kits are no longer available to my knowledge, but plans for the Tiny can be found [link=http://www.rcmicroflight.com/plans/Tiny/index.asp]HERE.[/link]