Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Just bought a new Sig Curtiss Jenny

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Just bought a new Sig Curtiss Jenny

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 03:21 PM
starguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a new Sig Curtiss Jenny

Right now its still in the box. I went to the hobby shop today and gathered all the required components to get her airworthy, but before I start building I would like some advice about this plane. I was warned by the hobby shop manager that the engine in this plane was way underpowered and the wings could use a little more dihedral. For those that have flown this plane before, is this true? Also, How well does she handle the wind?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 AM
starguard

Default RE: Just bought a new Sig Curtiss Jenny

Anyone?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:12 AM
starguard

Also, I have an old Wattage Corsair that I decided to trash for parts. I want to use the electronic speed control from this plane for the jenny. Is this advisable?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
ultramag1234

how many amp is the esc from the corsair?
what size motor is in the jenny?
Mike
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
starguard

The Jennys motor is an 180 Class motor with a 4.4:1 gear ratio, that is supposed to take a 5-15 amp esc
and is advised to be powered by a 6 cell 720 maH NiMH Battery Pack

I can't seem to find the info that tells me what amount of amps the corsairs esc can handle,
but the battery for the corsairs 400 wired motor is a 7 cell 600 mah Ni cd Battery Pack

Old 04-25-2005, 06:55 PM
starguard

Nevermind...I just found my answer. The esc for the Corsair is rated at 10 amps max, while the esc for the Jenny is rated between 5 and 15.

Looks like I have to go and buy a new esc for the Jenny.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
ultramag1234

well if your looking for a great esc go for the GWS ICS-480 its about $25
i have 3 of them and never a problem
Mike
Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 PM
ryanf420

I also just went out and purchased a jenny today...I started the thread on these planes to see if anyone new anything..but nothing....SO, here we are...plane looks great. My lhs said that these plane are all very good slow flyers...

The website says these planes can do loops and mild aerobatics....but now that I actually have the plane....I'm not so sure[sm=frown.gif]...What do you think???????
Old 04-26-2005, 09:50 PM
ryanf420

does anyone know of a modified 180 motor is out there to fit in a 180 size gearbox....like the venom 370 modified upgrade
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Dolan

Hello, Just added Ailerons to My Sig Curtiss Jenny, Gonna fly it tommorrow if the weather allows. It's been a sweet flyer with out ailerons. But since I like to explore and be creative I thought ailerons would be the way to go. Already I re-enforced the landing gear with carbon fibor, replaced the sig 180 with an e-flite 370 outrunner and a e-flite 20 amp ESC. Useing a thunderpower 1320 3cell lipo. I reinforced the wings under with balsa so that it could take the heat of the 370. Its off the ground in two feet and going vertical for ever and ever and ever. It cruses around pretty nice at 1/4 throttle. If tommorrow's flight proves
to be a success I am gonna sheeth the fusaladge in 1/32 balsa and rebuild the tailplain with 1/8 balse. I really like to do some nice detail work on this lil puppy. I scaled out the whole plane against some real scale plans and the wings need to be 4 inches longer and add a second set of interplane struts to get her to real time scale. Anyway its winter here in Polson Montana and I like to spend my time building when the weather is climatic out. later.............
Old 11-09-2006, 11:59 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This model would probably fly very well with a much more powerful Faigao 12mm brushless IPS replacment motor in a GWS DXA gearbox, Phoenix 10 brushless speed control and a 400mah 3S Lipo spinning an 8x4 GWS slow flyer prop. The model was probably designed for the standard GWS DXA motor/geardrive. This power setup will give about 1/3 more power than the stock brushed motor and give about 10 minute flights. Added power is necessary with draggy Jenny for enjoyable outdoor flying in even a slight breeze.

A larger lipo pack will increase duration accordingly. For $10 more , a Medusa 12mm motor will give yet more power and run cooler/last longer due to much lower internal resistance.