Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

GWS Zero - what is the best gear to use?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

GWS Zero - what is the best gear to use?

Old 10-02-2002, 07:16 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Zero - what is the best gear to use?

Hello, I just ordered a GWS Zero, and was wondering if people with experience can give me a little help. I searched the forum archives, and seen that everyone is saying to get the 8cell battery.. Ok, check. I will get that. As far as the servos.. Should I not put a rudder servo on? I'd like to take off and land on a paved runway. Does it really affect flight performance that much if it is there?

It comes with the 370 motor and gearbox, should I get a 400? Will the 400 fit?

Any and all tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thansk!

Jeff

http://www.cousinlarry.com
Old 10-02-2002, 10:06 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read, It's a pretty squirrely plane as it is, so if your new to the game I'd go with what is recommended, I just got my second GWS Stick today and its almost finished and ready for saturday morning........I told the guy I ordered from (microflyerrc) I was thinking of getting the mustang but still needed practice so I got another stick and he said the mustang wont be out till end of oct. but that it is supposd to be easier to handle than the zero.... just my 2 cents... Rog
Old 10-03-2002, 07:18 PM
wild3dfunfly

doesnt gws or some company sell micro retracts for the zero and parkflyers
Old 10-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Cadet

Yes GWS makes micro retracts that will handle planes <15oz.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:50 AM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I have been flying a buddies for the last few weeks and mine just came in yesterday. I love the way it flys and cant say anything bad about it. I bought the retracts for mine and will be using HS 55's for everything and the 6 channel GWS receiver 8 cell pack and 10X8 prop. We tried the 3 bladed prop but it did not perform as well.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:37 AM
simsrc89

How do you install the retracts?

SimsRc89
Old 10-06-2002, 12:53 PM
akflyer

I have not looked at them yet, as I am at work and won't be home for another 4 weeks. I am sure it will involve cutting a channel to run the pushrod and gluing in a mounting rail of some sort.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:55 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the help guys.. I just got the following off of ebay:

1.GWR-4P PICO Type 4 Channel Receiver
2.Three GWS NARO/STD Servos 3.One GWS ICS - 100 FP CPU Speed Controller
4.GWS X'TAL Channel 52 ( 72.830 mhz )

All that for $77.00.. I think that's a pretty good deal, right? It's all brand new in the package..

I can't wait to fly this bird!
Old 10-15-2002, 03:54 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GWS Zero

Please,,,, go to E-Zone Park Flyer forum and search on GWS Zero threads. Ask questions. Balance is critical and kit instructions are wrong. Get advice on rudder/no rudder, batteries etc. The Zero flies great when set-up, balanced and trimmed correctly.

Good luck!!
Old 10-16-2002, 02:31 AM
jettstarblue

Default GWS ZERO

Turbo, Go to the GWS batteries thread at this site.
SWEET DEAL ON ALL THAT STUFF, by the way.
Speed 400 direct drive! AA 8 cell pack! Rudder, YES!!
GET SOME WHEELS THAT DO THE PLANE JUSTICE THOUGH!!
I got some plastic black wheels from Guillows, 4 sets in a bag, for 2.29. If you use half on each side the total weight of both is the same as the "wheels" that you get with the kit, and they look much more SCALE!!

Jetts
Old 10-16-2002, 12:12 PM
foxflyer

Hey Jettstarblue, What is your all up weight? What servos are you using? Mine flies at just over 15oz with stock motor, 10-AAnimh720's, no rudder, no landing gear. Part of my weight problem is that I used way too much epoxy jouning the fuse halves. Subsequent repairs have been with aliphatic glue. A buddy of mine who has the beaver says that the GWS glue is great, bonds well and is light, you just have to be willing to let it set for 5 days.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:18 PM
jettstarblue

Default GWS ZERO

Hey,
Yes, the GWS glue takes to long to set. My flying weight is 17.5 oz. I have rudder, wire landing gear, (no retracts,) and I use the GWS servoes- the micro on the ailerons, the pico on the rudder, and elevator. Also to run the speed 400 motor, I used a slightly bigger speed control. Flies great with no bad habits, and is aerobatic, not 3D though.

Jetts
Old 10-18-2002, 09:37 AM
matt@springs

Do not forget to time the motor.
Turn the back of the motor clockwise such that the red dot just pass the motor tank clip a little.(about 15-20 degree)
Old 10-18-2002, 08:57 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I've got [email protected]/3HS-81's a 555rx. and IC-15 esc...Had L.G. problems(went to .078wire and ultra lite foam wheels) I'm using an 8cell 2/3AA NiMH pack & 9x6 APC-SF. I also re-timed the motor, 'cause it's timed for d.d. or inner-driven gbx. I found out the hard way, that I needed to move the batt. as far fwd. as possable. (wicked jumpy, almost un-controlable if not balanced properly!!!) My C.G. is 55 mm back from L.E.@ root, and that's about as far back as I'd recommend...It flys well enough, climbs pretty good (considering what it is)and I'd say that if you're taking off from a paved surface, you need rudder (T.O.'s are a little tricky,I think it's the wobbly mains, and touchy tail wheel set up...I fly off concrete, 10,000' long x 150' wide GAFB, so I can just let it wander around a bit) I used red goldenrods, 'cause I didn't like the stock p.rods. Probably leavin' out a few details (got any specific questions? maybe I can help...) Keep 'em flyin'...
Old 10-18-2002, 09:01 PM
akflyer

Has anyone mounted the retracts yet..... Are they worth the extra effort and weight ?? What servo are you using on the retracts. Any info would be great so I can learn from your mistakes instead of making my own.... ]
Thanks
Old 10-18-2002, 09:24 PM
proptop

I've got a set of retracts, but don't think I'll use 'em on mine. I'm already @ 17.5oz. and don't think it's worth the extra wt.+effort... There's no up-lock on them, so you'll have loads on the servo every time you pull G's. As far as servo--- I was thinkin' about annother 81,(there should be enough torque+throw)but there's that wt. thing again! Could go w/D.D. 400, but would need heavier batt. etc.etc.etc....I liked the way the orig. wheels just sorta disapeared while in flight tho.(I think the power would be marginal w/any more wt. if you're used to "wet power")
Old 10-18-2002, 09:51 PM
foxflyer

I had an issue with the landing gear so I also went to heavier wire and wheels from my lil' hornet, looked great but the heavier wire transferred more torque to the mounting plates and cracked one. So I deleted the gear.

I have a set of retracts that I am saving for the mustang. Didn't think about the plus G load on the servo. I wonder if the servo arm ended its travel parallel to the pushrods, would the pull be minimized on the servo, a sort-of uplock?

Wow 17+ oz. I thought mine was a pig at 15 oz.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:16 PM
proptop

Probably, but you'd have to get the travel just right so the servo would'nt be buzzin' when down-n-locked. Use a reg. servo? Proportional rotary knob to prevent that?(potential problems there too) Does anyone make a micro ret. servo? (there's one to ask Mr. Grand Wing Servo guy in Taiwan) Yeah, mine's kinda heavy(!) but I aint gonna spend any more $ on it to put it on a diet.(been there, done that, on others)Got a Lite stick @5.75oz. w/a bunch of experemental mods.(aero) that flys pretty good, but I don't want to transfer the equip.(ya know?) Besides, I don't like the idea of a short range rx. in a plane that can cover as much ground(so to speak) as the Zero can. The stick is my indoor plane, Got meat tray flaps, and a bigger rudder,9x7 prop. 7c.300 2/3AAA NiMH.etc...