Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Parkzone Cub motor help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Devil502

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parkzone Cub motor help.

Hi guys and gals, first post.. be gentle

I bought a Parkzone Cub. Gotta say I love it, I am too lazy to build a place, so this works well for me

One of the male spade connectors on the motor broke off. I ordered a new one, butthey are backordered. I have seen plenty of posts about swapping to other motors, but I really don't know how this works. Do I just resolder the wires from my pane to the motor?

Somone suggested a Venom Fireball... is this just plug and play?

More power please
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Parkzone Cub motor help.

The Venom motor is not "plug and play" but it does provide added power from what I've read in this forum.

Instead of a new motor, I have been experimenting with different propellers. I've found that the GWS 9070 propeller provides plenty of power for me -- ground take offs every time, touch-and-go ground passes, loops, and fast climbs all of that even on days when the wind is up to 10 mph with 15 mph gusts. However, flight time is reduced about 3 minutes. When the wind is less than 10 mph I then use the GWS 9047 propeller. It des not deliver as much power but with less wind I get the same results and about the same flying time as with the stock propeller. Same take offs, loops, etc. These propellers fit without nicely, except I cannot use the rubber spinner since the mount is a little bigger and will not stay on, that's all.

To avoid breaking the propellers ( they are 1 inch longer than the stock propeller), I replaced the wheels with 2 inch foam wheels. I can easily take off and land on grass without any problems.

My PZ cub came with a motor with too much down-thrust and right-thrust. After trimming the plane (added down-elevator to avoid continued climbing), if I cut the motor down, it started dropping like a brick. After reducing the down and right thrust on the motor, I can now cut the motor and it just glides in very nicely. I made some plastic washers out of a plastic lid by drilling holes and punching them out with a regular paper hole puncher.

The propellers wheels and plastic washers were very cheap and I now get all the power I need. I love flying the PZ Cub! It's great, especially for a beginner like me!

Hope the above helps you out.

Jmir

Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Devil502

Can you give me a litte info on what I need todo to install it?

I don't mind the fabrication, but I sure would liket o know what I am going tobe fabricating
Old 05-23-2005, 10:05 PM
ParrotheadMuddy

I agree about the GWS 9070 prop on the Parkzone J-3. This weekend I popped one on mine (the coconut flyer) and it worked like a dream. I found that it added a little something to it. Seemed to provide more power and I was able to stay level at lower throttle. I'm sticking with this prop for the cub. And now that I have a snappy paint job (island blue and factory yellow) the orange prop gives the coconut flyer and even more tropical look. I do love this plane, it can take a licking and keep on ticking, it's a little tank. I have gotten the recent need for speed so I'm going to build a stryker soon, but I'll always have my cub for relaxing flights. Here is an idea for the cub that you may or may not have tried. Look around the web at pictures of real J-3 cubs and check out some of the custom paint jobs that many people do on them. Then, try some safe model paint and make a custom painted scale. I did and I love the way it looks in the air now more than ever. A bold contrast is the most visible while in the air. Mine has a blue fuse, yellow pin stripe, yellow struts and wing, and blue verticle fin. Looks very cool, and in the air, you can really see the contrasting colors jump out at you.
Just a thought.
Have fun, fly good, Muddy

Air Margaritaville "Live slow, fly fast"
Old 05-24-2005, 06:16 AM
jmir

Parrotheadmuddy,

Can you send some photos to see what it looks like?
I'm not very good (artistic) at these things so would like to see to get some ideas.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:23 AM
jmir

I don't have the full details on how to do it, but you can find the details in this forum.

The way I understand it, the motor fits in the case without any problems, but the holes for the mounting screws do not match the ones on the motor housing so you have to drill some new holes. Some have used glue instead of screws to hold the motor in place.

The motor comes without mounting screws and the ones used by Parkzone are larger than what's required for the Venom. I don't know where you can get these screws. Some have tapped the holes on the motor to accept the Parkzone screws.

Finally, it comes without a pinion. It's best if you take the pinion off a Parkzone motor to make sure it all fits, or you can order them from Parkzone . The pinion gets secured to the Venom shaft using locktite.

Search on the regular Parkzone Cub thread posted in this forum and you will find details, part numbers, different ways of mounting, etc.

Everyone who has made the conversion loves it.

Sorry I could not be of further help.

Jmir