Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:40 PM
AETCBoom4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

ORIGINAL: rfries_gha

I have a Parkzone Mustang that I want to upgrade to brushless. I was told that an AON Thrust [model T2815-3002, 2.3mm shaft] is a bolt-on replacement for the stock motor. How has this upgrade been for anyone else?

This is my first build and would appreciate assistance in selecting the compatible ESC and prop. I also need a Traxxas/Robinson brass pinion compatible with the stock shaft.

I will upgrade the entire electronics for this bird. I currently have the Spektrum AR6000 receiver and S75 servos for the DX6 transmitter. I will also be running a 3 cell 1800mAh Li-Po.

Has anyone made modifications for dual servos for the ailerons?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
I used this combo in my spitfire. I would use the 2815-3000 motor as it would accept an industry standard 3.2 mm pinion. Finding a 2.3 mm pinion with a set screw would be hard, believe me I know.

My combo consisted of the motor 2815-3000, a robinson racing 32P/12T 3.2 mm pinion from Horizon Hobbies, and an ESC rated at 35 amp or higher to be safe. I was using the stock prop and got good torque and decent speed. You could use a prop nut adapter from the E-flite 400 gear box and be able to try different prop combos. Otherwise you are stuck with the stock 10x8. Use Deans connectors to the ESC. The 1800 mah batt maybe to weak. I would recommend a 2100mah with a 20c rating to give you excellent power.
If you are going brushless I would HIGHLY recommend shoring up the wing with a cf rod as I nearly folded mine. I remember seeing peak amps at 30 and 300+ watts from the watt meter.

I have gone BL on both my Mustang and Spitfire, so feel free to ask questions.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 PM
gunracer

ORIGINAL: rfries_gha

I have a Parkzone Mustang that I want to upgrade to brushless. I was told that an AON Thrust [model T2815-3002, 2.3mm shaft] is a bolt-on replacement for the stock motor. How has this upgrade been for anyone else?

This is my first build and would appreciate assistance in selecting the compatible ESC and prop. I also need a Traxxas/Robinson brass pinion compatible with the stock shaft.

I will upgrade the entire electronics for this bird. I currently have the Spektrum AR6000 receiver and S75 servos for the DX6 transmitter. I will also be running a 3 cell 1800mAh Li-Po.

Has anyone made modifications for dual servos for the ailerons?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
make sure your batt can provide the amps for the setup you're considering...dual servos for the ailerons are not worth the effort...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Oregon Craig

I haven't been in this thread for a while. Long story short:
I got a PZ P51 from wife for Xmas. Tried to maiden it twice, seemed anemic and just flew into the ground. Sent it back to Horizon. They sent an entire new one back to me, complete with plastic pushed on pinion. Well, this morning about 6:15 it finally maidened. Almost 8 months after I first received the gift! Went to a local combo baseball soccer field near home. Launched it at low rates but with full up trim. Took off a tiny bit wobbly, but it was obvious that it was going to fly this time! I never got it off of low rates and never turned it upside-down at all. Did do a low fly-by, but otherwise just some nice right circuits, a couple left, and a figure 8 pattern or two. Landed right in the grass with no mishaps. Battery hatch popped off, but it was just laying near the plane. Plane covered with water and wet grass, but all intact. Pinion still apparently tight! Maybe my other one was some kind of a lemon. My first ever successful electric flight! I am going back tonight around sundown! The automatic sprinklers were turning on as I was flying, and I may have woken a resident or something. As I was leaving a hippie looking dude with dreadlocks, a beard, and what appeared to be a long skirt or dress came crawling out of one of the baseball dugouts, as if he were just starting his day.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 PM
march

I've got the mustang myself and never have had any sucess yet in launching it. I was wondering if there are any landing gear set ups I could try. Don't really care how it looks. It just seems hand launching this plane is by far one of the most difficult things I've had to do since getting into RC flight. HELP PLEASE
Old 08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Oregon Craig

Search through this long thread. People have tried some landing gear, I think.
I am certainly not a hand launch expert, as I have now only flown this thing twice.
Here is what works for me 2 times now:
Freshly fully charged battery pack - warm even.
Full throttle - full up elevator trim, on LOW rates - a good strong toss with a little step even. Almost like throwing a baseball from 3rd to 1st.
Straight out ahead of you. Not up. Not down.
Get that right hand on the stick fast and make any corrections.
I'll bet a left hander would have an easier time, not sure.
My first PZ 51 would fly weakly into the ground, then Horizon replaced it for me. This one seems better. Maybe I had a bad motor or whatever.
I didn't have anything to compare it to. After a slight wobble and some aileron correction from me, this one takes right off. If I don't cut the throttle
a bit and neutralize that up trim soon after I enter stable flight speed, it will climb out of sight in a hurry!
Good luck - have fun.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Oregon Craig

Ok. I just had to install the metal pinion that GunRacer here on RCU sent me.
Went out to the official club field this morning. I was flying around at full throttle only, just marvelling at how fast this little electric Mustang goes!
I was at low rates, playing reno racer. I had to put full down trim in to keep from climbing. Full down trim at low rates, that is.
I setup for a low fly-by at low throttle, and I planned to goose it and climb out - go around again and finish the flight.
I got a little too low, probably about 1 foot high.[X(] At least I was lined up pretty much with the runway.
Well, we all know what happens when you are flying low and slow with full down trim and give full throttle.
Instead of climbing I lost that last foot of altitude at full throttle. Prop was unscathed, spinner popped off, battery hatch stayed on.
No visible damage or scuffs. Hmmm, I wondered if the plastic factory pinion was still intact? Picked up the plane and hit the throttle,
and that's when I heard that sound that I am already familiar with. That sick kind of buzzing sound, and the prop barely turns.
Came home, pushed that metal pinion on. Re-assembled, test again at full throttle. Frankie will fly again tomorrow!
It just started drizzling, and the fuel guys can start flying at 10:00. So I am done for today.
Taking the wife to the county fair and rodeo tonight, but I have tomorrow off just like today.
What I like about electric so far, is that I can fly anytime. At our field, I usually have to wait until "official" flying times, due to noise restrictions.
Electrics are waived to go anytime. That, and I can park my car and be in the air in about 1 minute. Just step out, plug in the battery, and throw!
Much thanks again to GunRacer for the free pinion.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
darnold

N70R- Dude I am so glad that you have finally been able to get your Stang going!!!! I hope you have many, many, many happy flights with it.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Oregon Craig

2 flights this morning. First landing too hot. Cracked the bottom of the cowl slightly. Repaired with thin CA and clear packing tape.
Also, cracked the spinner backplate, repaired with thin CA. Prop ok, pinion still tight. Ready to fly another day, no doubt early
tomorrow morning back at the soccer field. 2nd landing just popped the spinner cone loose, which is when I discovered the earlier
damage.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Oregon Craig

Score Update:

Flagpole flying Old Glory at the soccer field - 1
Frankie - 0
[][][:@][:@][][]

God Bless America and the Stars and Stripes For-friggin-ever!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57438.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	744426  
Old 08-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Rowdy_b64

Hard Lines mate ..
I feel your pain .. what happened .. lack of judgement or plain forgot it was there?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM
GWARREN2

Hey Fella's Just installed an e-flight 450 direct drive brushless motor on my spits swinging a 10 - 8 prop. O.M.G. this thing has awaken. It hand launches at a 1/4 throttle and will excellerate vertical. I have a Stang and FW190 that I will be converting post haist.

That being said, I will have three sets of controllers/ecs/receivers and motors/gearboxs that will need a home. The Spits motor has a metal drive gear and the others are plastic and have not given me any trouble. The motors have about 10 - 15 flights on them and are in good working order. I also have 10 nimh batts that are in exellent condition.

If any of you are interested in them, please e-mail me @ ( [email protected] )

3 sets of working motors and gearboxes $15.00 10 batts $25.00 3 controllers/ecs/receivers $20.00 plus the shipping cost ( direct cost no handling )
Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Oregon Craig

ORIGINAL: Rowdy_b64

Hard Lines mate ..
I feel your pain .. what happened .. lack of judgement or plain forgot it was there?
I bailed out on a bad landing approach. I throttled up to full to go around one more time, and there it was.
No time to react. I remember thinking that maybe my depth perception was fooling me, and it would not hit the flag pole.
I think that caused me to not really react that much, and just start a gentle left bank. Crash!

I found a replacement full spit airframe, with shipping, for less than the cost of all the needed P51 parts.
It's on the way! Besides, I just got an email confirming that the extra battery and upgrade connectors (sermos) were delivered to
my office today. They will be waiting for me Monday morning when I arrive. I'll need an airplane for them!

All the electronics are good. The fuse, wing, firewall, gearbox, and spinner were not repairable in my estimation.
Surprisingly, the prop STILL didn't break, and the pinion stayed attached to the motor shaft!

Wife, who originally purchased the original P51 as a gift to me, was watching me fly it for the first time. [&o]

Well, I'll have a Spitfire to maiden in a week or so. Wish me luck. IF the weather is ok tomorrow, I have a glow powered
plane all charged up ready to go, and plenty of slimey fuel!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 AM
ziomarco

Hi

Has anyone found this plane to be very nose heavy? I read awhile back in this thread that the CG is 70mm back from the leading edge (where the wing meets the fuse)
I had to move my battery and mount it behind the stock battery compartment to achieve this. Anyone else tried this yet ? I have not flown it yet with the bat moved and am wondering if it will improve or become worse.

Thanks,

Marcus
Old 08-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Rowdy_b64

Mate ..I can only imagine what you felt like with the wife there watching you as you destroyed the plane ....
ohhhhhhhhh dear ....
I myself had my Spit up today in a place that was sort of "Well Poled" Aussie rules ground (4 posts each end + lights towers).
Attracted the usual attention .. 3 guys from the footy club .. asking me all the normal things .. whilst I am trying hard not to do what you did! Luckily didn't ... but landed with the Spit sounding VERY ordinary. I darent look .. thinking pinion ... grinding noise . really loud ..
Anyway .. you will enjoy the spit .. but she aint no Stang aerobatically. But Lovely to low pass .. beautiful plane
Cheers
Rowdy
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Oregon Craig

I was looking for something a bit more gentle.
I mean, they call them park flyers, right?
I remember Aussie rules footie! I liked it.
When our big national cable sports broadcaster here (ESPN) was in it's infancy,
they didn't have any of the major American sports to broadcast, so they needed to
find stuff to fill time. Aussie rules was on a lot. I think, but I'm not sure, they still play the final
championship match. Isn't that coming up soon? Like in a month or two?
Sorry, I am drifting off of the topic of RC.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Rowdy_b64

Yeah thet'd be the Grand Final coming up in September. It's a good game .. not that flash when your team is down the bottom .. like mine! (Carlton) .. ah well .. always next year.
But the good thing is the weather here is starting to become nice for flying again
Old 08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
rfries_gha

I have a Mustang that I want to upgrade to brushless. I’ve read somewhere in this thread where the E-Flite 6 Series is a direct swap for the stock motor mount. I can get a good price for one.

-- or --

The option that GWarrren2 recently posted for an E-Flite 450 direct drive; sounds like he’s scrapped the stock motor mount.

Money is always an object, but want the best bang for the buck. Any opinions?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Oregon Craig

I have read that the T2815-3000 by Aon fits right in.
http://www.aonelectric.com/Products/...ategory=Thrust
Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 PM
dude54325
Banned

I've heard its a tad underpowered
Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 AM
TVLmole

fries_gha

Unfortunately the Series Six is not quite "drop in". There is a ridge on the inside of the g/box on the motor side that has to be ground down to fit the BL, approximately 0.3mm. The BL has a 3.2mm shaft as opposed to the std of 2.2mm. The replacement here is a 32pitch 12 tooth pinion from Robinson Racing or from Traxxas. Try get a 3mm set screw as the 4mm supplied catches the motor mounting screws. I had to grind the tooth face of the pinion a fraction to get a proper mesh. First time I didnt grind the teeth and broke the bearing housing of the prop shaft. I would also suggest getting a 28mm steel washer and drill & file it to the same profile as the motor screw mounting to add strength.

I have tried both Series Six motors. The 2000kv has approximately 50% more power than the stock and the 2700kv has 80% more. Ensure your battery can handle +22 amps.

You can modify your stock 10X8 prop to a 10X15 by heating up each side in a tall kettle for about 1 minute and wedging it in the gap between the microwave door and the control panel. Pushing in vertically to the hub. Leave in the door for about 20 mins and then do the other side. Primative, but it works better than using a heat gun!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
GWARREN2

Hello, I was in the same boat that you are in. 75.00 for a series six seamed high for what this airplane does. So, I desided to scrap the motor mount and install a direct drive unit.

I made the engine plat out of light ply and installed the motor on the X bracket using aluminium tubing and screws.
( I will post pics soon ) This is working really well with the spits and I have ordered two new sets of 450XT motors with 25 amp ECS'S for my P-51 & FW190.

The cost of the 450xt/25 amp ECS combo is around 50.00 each. I have several of these and they are very good quality and performance @ 1/2 the cost of e-flight 450/ecs set up.

I have a couple of the e-flight 450 motors and have been real happy with them, just like I said cost twice as much.

( mile high rc ) is an internet seller out of Colorado and has an exellent web site( quick shipping/fast e-mail/good price )
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM
darnold

N70R- Sorry to hear about the loss. I've had my wife out to watch me fly a couple of times also...talking about pressure!! [:-] It's almost like if you mess up then you don't get to buy more toys!
I'm glad you have the Spit coming, looking forward to hearing about your maiden with it.

Rowdy- Is the Stang more acrobatic then the Spit? What do you think causes it? Is it more speed from the Stang wing configuration or does the Stang tip stall easier so it responds faster or something?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Oregon Craig

Darnold.
Hey, how ya been?
Didn't you crack your's up, too? What's the latest?
My spit was shipped Tuesday, but no approximate receipt date yet.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 PM
darnold

Hey bro, I'm ok, thanks for checking on me, the plane not responding to any input from the Tx really spooked me.

However, the plane is actually fine, nothing was broken believe it or not as she landed almost perfectly, just not by my commands.

It was totally weird! VERY Spooky!!!

I just haven't had the guts to take her back up after she stopped responding to the Tx. I don't want another Twilight episode where she gets a mind of her own and I can't do anything about it. I was blessed of the Lord the first time and nothing and no one was injured.

It was funny because after she landed all nice (but not by my control) and I got to her she started working from my controls again like nothing had happened, BUT the ESC/Rx smelled like it was burning with that electric magic smoke smell !!!!

I still need to call Horizon and see if they will ship me a new ESC/Rx combo since she DEFINITELY went kookoo on me. LOL!!! In fact, I'll do that tomorrow, Lord will. Maybe we can get her up again soon!

What did you think of the Stang while you had her going, was she fun?? I bet you will love your Spit. BTW, what type of new electronics did you get and from where? What will they do for you?

I'm starting to think that I need to upgrade the electronics in the Stang, maybe with either the Spits stuff or get the New T-28 coming out from PZ and put a spare ESC/Rx unit and servos from that line into the Stang. What do you think?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:19 AM
tclaridge

darnold,
I started back into the hobby with the Parkzone stuff. I love it. The P-51 was my first warbird, and it was great. If you continue in the hobby, and need new electronics for your P-51, get the DX-7. You will love it. Then you can get the plug-n-play Typhoon or F-27C!

Another cheaper option is to get another Parkzone plane, and then buy an extra Rx and servos for the P-51. Then you have one Tx that flies both planes.

So many choices, so little time. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.