Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Old 06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
The Marsh Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ParkZone P-51 Mustang RTF

Both great posts! I too had moved the receiver, but I moved it forward and taped it in. I had placed a rubber band onto the battery connector to ease in retrieving it. I also agree that the battery placement is a major cause of damage to the front area, makes you wonder about the intentions of Parkzone (Fly plane, crash, break, buy new parts. Fly again and repeat) The rear area cowling that secures the wing may have done better with one larger bolt instead of two smaller one that seam to tear the wings more. The ailerons I feel are another weak point. If they could get it to react faster, I think a lot less planes would crash, simple logic dictates that you could react sooner and faster, and possibly save the plane when something goes wrong due to wind or pilot error. As for the elevator, I have used the poly type wing tape or even what is called a box sealing tape that those RC car guys use. I too love its looks, but they need to correct some of these issues. I HOPE YOU READ THESE POSTS PARKZONE!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
icaurs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am new to flying and against the advise of my local hobby shop owner bought a p 51. Needless to say I am rebuilding it. I am flying a trainer now and learning allot and will go back to the p51 in time but I have a few questions. How do you make sure the plane is trimmed right? I am sure that was my problem in just getting the plane fly as I had no time to make a control mistake before the crashes. First she arched and went nose down (i adjusted the elevator) next she went out straight and then the left wing dipped and she arched into the ground again. Any advise (besides learn to fly first) on how to know when the planes surface controls are trimmed right would be great.
Thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys, again thanks for the tips.
I'm going to approach this one as it were a hand built bird. It will have standard electrics and brushless power. Bl power will accomidate additional weight of landing gear, and why not just make rudder fuctional, to eliminate pull on take off. Simple enough to do.
It's going to be like any of the PZ birds from what I can see. They leave it up to us to make them work. And then after we get them to work we see how far we can go with them.
So I will strip this one down to the airframe do my converting and fix the known problems.
Going to do a repaint also, looking at Tuskeegee Air corp colors. And Frankie's going to get a tan.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

icarus,
Living up to the name I see.
Yes you did the steps backwards. A warbird should be last on your list to fly. Go the trainer route, log time on a sim, get experienced help. Take your birds one step at a time.
You'll get a lot more satisfaction that way.

Hey what part of Pa?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
The Marsh Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Icarus, Trimming a plane is an art that can only come with experiance. The type of plane has alot to do with how to trim for that first flight. But you also need the experiance to get the plane in the air so that you can trim it out properly. Experiance will give you the skills to correct any adverse flight characteristics that you will experiance at take off. Once in the air, you will then have keep that thing flying until you can stabalize it. Sometimes your lucky, sometimes your not! My first pontoon plane taught me that it did not hurt to have a little extra up elavator then normal.
But don't give up, I still remember how exited I was when Flew my first plane that was actualy flying. My hands were shaking and I was absolutley thrilled. I still get that feeling with a well flying plane.
Good luck
Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 AM
safor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got my p-51 yesterday and can't seem to land it without breaking prop. Also during my first flight I met up with my mortal enemy tree. Plane came down nose first of course and wrinkled the nose up some. Should I worry about this? It did fly OK after wards. Any landing advise would be great.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:30 AM
The Marsh Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Safor, this plane (If you have read the previous posts) has a tendancy for breaking props. All I can say is try to land it on some tall grass. As far as for general landing of a low wing fighter is to keep some airspeed up while landing or it could tip stall and have the nose and wing hit the ground first. If there is any wind while you are flying, you have to use it and it will help considerably, but you must still keep a little power on. You can get some nice belly landings, but keep am eye out for your battery cover, one of the other problems and engineering flawws is that the clip for the cover is in the front, and if hit just right, will pop off during landing. I also recommend re-enforcing the cowling too with some packing tape as this is another weak spot. Another option is to add some landing gear that alot of fliers are talking about and that I am considering myself. Well good luck and don't give up, this plane is fun when you figure out the bugs.
Later
Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
Spid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got one for Father's Day and got it all ready to go for this weekend (as long as the weather cooperates ).

Thanks for the great information guys. It did seem a bit nose heavy to me as well. Quick question, does it have a tendancy to roll after launch?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
safor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the advice. I found p51 fuselage on web for $60.00 including all electronics. So my plan is to learn on the one I just got then make it look new again once I figure it out. What other good brands of elecs are out there? Does anyone else make a plane like the stryker?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:44 PM
dirktanis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have had all the same problems, but it's still fun to fly and a great improvement from the
PZ Cub that I graduated from. I put a video camera in mine and so far the results have been super. I have no means of hosting the video, but if someone is can host it I'll e-mail it to them.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:25 PM
The Marsh Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boy get this!!!! I have four hobby shops near me and none of them have the props for the P 51. Even they say they can't keep up with the demand. We really should let Parkzone know (Not that they would care). I wonder if there are other types of props that would work? Time to experiment!!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Monitor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very strange. I bought a couple extra props just to be safe.... and after over 100 flights, I still am using the original. I don't think my grass is that tall.... are you guys landing with the nose UP upon touchdown?

I just can't see how props can be breaking so much![]
Old 06-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Marshman, try using gws props, they're also weak, but much cheaper. requires a couple of extra nuts on the propshaft so the prop clears the front of the cowling and the prop hole widening a little. that's what i'm going to use. broke 3 in 2 flights and 1 bodged take off. at $5 each that's expensive.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:32 AM
The Marsh Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Monitor, maybe your just a better pilot. I have tried differant attitudes on landings and one does not seem to be better then the other. I had a string of landings where I was ok, but it seemed that even if I had it level or slightly nose up, the cowling would force the nose down on contact. I try to land them gently like my pontoon planes, but it seems to be a hit or miss thing. Maybe some type of skid to raise the nose up a little on landing. The Wattage version does have a fixed landing gear. I have flown my friends and liked it, though the Parkzone version does look better. I'll post any results from my own R&D.
I do live in the Suisun marsh area of California, my wife and I care take on 700 acres, the plane did really well when it went into the pickle weed, but that stuff really gets the plane wet and also seems to get into everything. I will keep trying, after all I have the plane, may as well fly it!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:51 AM
Glacier Girl

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guys,
Did any of you notice the little blue box at the top left of the page? The one that say's "More resourses on the P-51D Mustang" This is the spot you can go to and rate and add tips and building hints on the Stang. I just checked and it's empty. You should be adding the fixes for the PZ wooes there. Then the newbies like me can have a quick resource list to fix before we fly. We use this on the Stryker forum, and it saves a lot of typing, explaining the same fixes over and over as each newbie arrives, and keeps asking the same questions. Just point them to the tips and they're good to go. Also you can always refer back to it to modify your fixes, saves winding through pages and pages of posts.
I know it's going to be a big list of fixes.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Spid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was reading through this review of the P51 http://www.modelflight.com.au/hobbyz...tang_basic.htm and was wondering if anyone agrees or disagrees with this 'Launching the Mustang" portion from the article.

"‘Due to the large propeller, when launching, do not use full throttle else the plane will torque roll over on its left side and crash. Grasp the fuselage behind the wing and give a hard flat throw so the plane can gain speed, then apply full throttle to accelerate and climb out."

Anyone experience this with their launches?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 AM
aramirez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I always launch at full throttle. Never broke a prop. The plane is compensated for this with prop offset as designed. At launch there is not enough aileron response speed to compensate for a tipping plane. It must remain flat on its own. There is a quite large backlash on the ailerons, meaning that they do not return to the same center after deflection. Pay attention to the position of the ailerons before launch because they may not return to dead center after deflection. I twitch the control to re-center.

I crash land in the tallest soft weeds around, probably 2 to 3 foot high.

Make absolutly sure take off and landing is facing the wind dead on even if wind is slow.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Monitor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Marsh Man, I highyl doubt I am a "better pilot". Perhaps it is just the grass that I land on... Thanks for the compliment however.

As far as this torque roll, I usually trim for take off with full up trim and slight right trim. The roll seems to be worse at high angle of attacks.... which makes sense since real planes do this too. The prop gets a bit more "bite" out of the air on the right side and thus the roll to the left. Therefore I launch with WOT and a LEVEL toss. It will drop down about 12-18 inches or so, but the the airspeed builds up and with the up trim it starts to climb very fast..... which then requires pushing the trim all the way forward.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Co Fly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found a very easy mod for landing gear. you simply take some landing gear from an ABX ($3.50) and insert it between the battery compartment and the grey plastic piece the wing snuggs up to. I have about 10 landings on this set up and no damage. Preformance was not affected. I will post picture later.

Also if you would like to improve your aeleron responce time, just squrt a little teflon based luberication down the pushrod in the plastic housing. It really helped to take some friction out of the system.

Lastly, I am no expert, but I was under the impression that all aircraft with a pulling motor, models or otherwise, have some degree of down and right when the prop shaft is alligned properly. I have built 5 kits and all have called for about 1-2 degrees down and .5-2 degrees right. Again I am no expert, but all of my builds have flown very nicely with no adverse/ left roll-pull.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i had my third flight with the mustang today, and it was fairly gusty, but as i'd read somebody's post about flying in 12mph winds, i thought give it a go - i really want to fly this plane ! flew the f27 first, which i've had for about a year now and always use that to judge conditions by, plus it's ok in wind. then the mustang. did a 3/4 power to and increased to full power after launch - result nosing straight up and before i knew it it was downwind. the nose kept going nearly verticle, due to the wind gusts and i applied full down elevator trim for the rest of the flight and reduced power. anyway after a bit of a struggle and i'm still nervous with this plane, i got it back in front of me and under some sort of control. still kept nosing up and turning due to the wind, but i bagan to relax. anyway after about 6-7 mins of flying, it got behind me a bit and fairly low, so i cut the power and brought it in. made a good landing, keeping the speed up on the approach, but didn't flair too well and it bonked down. amazingly for the first time i didn't break the prop (because i put a spare in the flight box ??) but buggered the battery hatch and the battery had gone thru the holder, so i had to take the wings off to get it out. still good time but i don't want to fly it in strongish wind again.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:03 PM
L0stS0ul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had now around 12 flights on my P-51. I don't know what it is but I still get very nervous when i go to launch it. I've never had it go into the ground. I've never had a bad launch but man that hand toss still scares me lol
Old 06-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Airchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

does anybody have any vids of the mustang or could somebody direct me to one

Thanks alot
Old 06-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Airchief

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey thanks alot!

There are some great vids and severel long threads on the stang
Old 06-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Airbourne in Japan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

before my fourth flight, i noticed that the elevator was out of trim. sorted that out. then i noticed that the ailerons don't go up on both sides, only down. i had sprayed some light oil into the cable runs and i guess the aerosole has melted the glue or foam holding the control cable tubes in place. either that or they have come loose anyway. so i thought what the heck, i'll fly it on high rates. my last landing bent both the clips on the battery cover but i thought it would stay in place as i also use 2 rubber bands to hold it in place. i thought about putting strapping tape over it but couldn't be bothered. mistake !! anyway it flew quite nicely on the high rates and i think i even did a flick roll off the top of a loop. but after a couple of minutes...the battery droped out fortunately when the plane was only 10' off the ground and it nosed straight down. the prop is broken, the cowling is completely smashed, but fortunately the fus isn't too bad i think. now i'll have to wait a week or so for the battery covers and colwings i ordered to get here. shame as i really like this plane, but once again a poor design fault has grounded it fo me. why didn't parkzone put the battery cover on the top of the plane - makes much more sense even if it's not so 'pretty'. i've never had a battery come out as i normally velcro them in but that cant be done with the mustang.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Safety Hawk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Two words: DUCT TAPE!

Search this Thread